45-70 Load ?????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

45-70 Load ?????

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

Main point is to use powder I already have, for the 45-70 !!!!!

Using a 405 gr bevel base hard cast bullet. Anybody out there have a load to start working with using either IMR 4895 or H 335 ?
Will be using in a Browning "86" saddle ring carbine.

On a side note would like opinions on what would be a better camp defense , charge stopper, gun . Either a 95 in 30-06 with 180 gr Noslers or the 86 with stiff, cast, 405's. Not looking to start a war just planning on a drive through Alaska next year.
Tried several times to use the search properties here and cannot find it recognizing 45-70 or 50-110 posts that I have put up in the past.

Thanks in advance,

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Don McDowell

Re: 45-70 Load ?????

Post by Don McDowell »

Hogdons online data will be your friend to find data for your two powders.

Take your pick on the camp defensive weapon.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I looked through my load manuals and neither of those propellants show up. Try online as said.

For the stopper, if you're going to load the 45/70 400 grainers to 1600 fps + then that'd be my pick but really a 30-06 with 180 grain XTP's would be dang good too. 180 Noslers should be fine as well. Just want a bullet that will fo-sho hold together.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

bear stopper? 45/70 hands down.

I know an Alaskan who killed more than 50 coastal brownies with a 30/06. He used 220 gr bullets. Not as a "bear stopper", but as a "bear killer". BIG DIFFERENCE.

Your hard cast load at lower velocity is much better for breaking down bone and securing a CNS shot.

You can blow a bears heart to pieces and he can still gut and behead you before he dies.

If you ever get to that street corner you will feel a little light with a 30 cal hole in the end of the barrel.

And you won't need to go ever 1600 fps either, a lower velocity will put two holes in brer bear from any angle. That's for hard cast.

Here's my Alaska Load: http://beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/ ... ght.htm/21

12ga is good also, but not most factory slugs. You want to get the real bear stoppers from Dixie Slugs. James Gates knows his stuff and his dangerous game load is really made for defense from stompers and eaters.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

whereabouts in Alaska? It's half as big as the rest of the usa.....

Grizz
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

^^^ What he said. ^^^
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

and for me, being paranoid by nature, i use my browning 1886 with 400-405 gr at 2000 fps, when out and around here. buffalo bore makes some similar and hotter loads and they shoot well in my browning also.
i have several good loads, one of which uses H333, but my data is in storage right now [ i.e. lost from moving, dangit]
i prefer they heavier loads, i am probably paranoid, but they cant be too dead for me.
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your gonna have to buy some powder. I never liked anything slower than 3031 with cast in the 45-70. Most times, it works, sometimes in cold weather you get squibs, even with full power loads. You lookin' to take that chance? :D Buy a can of RL-7-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Sixgun wrote:Your gonna have to buy some powder. I never liked anything slower than 3031 with cast in the 45-70. Most times, it works, sometimes in cold weather you get squibs, even with full power loads. You lookin' to take that chance? :D Buy a can of RL-7-----------------Sixgun
yes, and one of my loads was with RL7 -- excellent choice!
cable
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

RL 7 is a good choice . H4198 works great in 35 cal and bigger, 38-55,444,45-70. I find H4895 works great in anything smaller than 35 cal. Those two powders will cover a big spectrum of calibers.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I load up 405s of some flavor, with 43gr of H4198. 43 Because that was an exact dipper-full and easy to remember :P That's about 1600 out of the Guide Gun, and 1750 +/- out of the Cowboy....Around here I can't imagine anything surviving that.....I hope they shoot good out of the Sharps, too....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

I joined LoadData.com just for their extensive reloading information. I don't have stock in their website but am a very satisfied member. You can visit it and check it out for free. Good Luck on the trip and yes, the 45/70 1886 would be my choice too. Only I would choose the Hornady "Lever Action" bullets. 'Course if I was going I would use my 9.3x62 Mauser. That caliber will "get er done."
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

The Hodgdon site lists 54 grains of IMR 4895 for Lever Action 45-70 for a 400 grain JFP COL 2.54 at 1785 FPS. That is a little hot for lead by the rules, but for hard cast it shouldnt be a problem.

For a Trapdoor, that powder can be loaded as low as 45 grains starting at 1496 FPS. I'd start there, and work up till you hit good accuracy with low lead.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

Thanks for the info guys !!

Grizz,

Planning to get to Fairbanks and head north to Coldfoot. Leave the 5th wheel there and make a couple day trip to Pruhoe Bay, Got say I saw the Artic Ocean. Found out that take a special tour they have . Going to allow about a month in Ak. all together. Months I got a idea on are, to get there mid April and be leaving mid May before the sceeters get to bad.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey thanks John

sounds like a dream trip to me. I'm a southeast guy when I'm in state but want to take my wife on a road trip thru the interior. it's beyond beautiful. hope you have a safe trip.

biggest danger is that you won't want to leave!

Grizz