Second Black Powder Silhouette Match

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Second Black Powder Silhouette Match

Post by Marc »

I shot the new to me Browning in my second match yesterday.

I had a few areas I wanted to improve on after last months match where I shot a score of 17. One problem was the 4 pound trigger. That was easy to improve by replacing the spring. It is now 2-1/2 pounds which is similar to most of my other rifles. Another problem I had was poor follow through when the trigger broke. I did well on that yesterday. I don't believe I lost a target due to follow through. The other major issue was fouling control. This match I wiped with a damp patch on a 35 caliber jag between shots. Point of impact was very consistent, that is, I didn't have shots climbing as I fired a string.

In addition I sacrificed an aluminum arrow and made a drop tube to load the powder. I also think that helped. The other improvement I made was to clean the half of the bullet mold that wasn't filling out well. Now it fills out better than the other half - I will have to clean the other half better too. I still haven't used a wad. The rifle seems to be grouping at about 1-1/2 MOA now. I am not sure what a wad will do for me.

It was a very satisfying day when the scores were in the book. My goal was to break 20 at this match and I ended up with a 28! We were lucky with the weather. It was about 70 degrees with light winds. I have some more things to improve now and the goal is to break 30 at my next match. I lost a couple targets due to moving the sights when I should have left well enough alone. I lost some chickens because I put the wrong sight setting in and hit my sighter target with my first shot. I then started to shoot for record and found I was to low. After raising the elevation three times to get on the target I ended up where I should have been if I had put the right sight setting in to begin with. I lost two targets because my eye went blurry, maybe because of a floater. Going to use a timer next time so I know where I am at - maybe I have time to let floaters get out of the way. We will see!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Second Black Powder Silhouette Match

Post by Mescalero »

Marc,
When I shot silhouette I never used a spotter.
To keep time I had a small cassete player and wore the plugs under my muffs.
I listened to " Sympathy for the Devil " by The Rolling Stones, I knew right where the 2 1/2 minute mark was.
Congrats on your shooting,
Black Powder Silhouette is still on my to do list.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great shooting!

I'd love to get into a Silhouette Match, but there is only one place within reasonable driving distance, and it would cost me $500 to join the club, and $250 a year after that. And, it's an hour and a half drive from me. :(
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ted,
That is just outragous,
it should not be so expensive.
Shoot one match and you are a silhouette guy for life, nothing like it.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

That's excellent shooting Marc! A high 20's score would easily win the match where I shoot. I've been shooting BPCR for over 20 years, first with a Palmetto Arms Gemmer rifle in .45-70, then a Shiloh Sharps in .45-100, and then a Browning BPCR .40-65 like yours, but my scores haven't gotten out of the teens for a long time. I still have not found the perfect loading for my Browning, and I recently had my Shiloh re-barreled to .45-70 in hopes of reducing recoil. I have to shoot from a sitting position as arthritis in my spine prevents my shooting from a prone position. I use a blow tube, but I probably should switch to wiping between shots as it gets really hot and dry here in the summer time. Now that the weather is improving, I hope to work on both my loads and my technique.

Keep us posted on your BPCR shooting! I find the information very helpful.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Excellently done Marc! I shot BPCR for a few years, but never seem to be home the proper weekend, or it conflilcts with a cowboy match... choices, choices! Chickens are the devil incarnate!

TedH, there should be NO reason you should have to join a club just to shoot a match. For a place to practice at, etc.., sure, but not to compete. I've shot from NJ to WA, FL to CA, and a few places in-between; yes, have been invited to join, but never made a condition to compete.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

marc
well done !
looks like the weather was nice.
oldguy.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Marc
A real newb question- How much vertical adjustment of that tang sight staff do you use in the competition from nearest to farthest target?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Mescalero wrote:Ted,
That is just outragous,
it should not be so expensive.
Shoot one match and you are a silhouette guy for life, nothing like it.
It's a real nice place, but I'm not going to pay that kind of money.

Griff I might shoot them an email and see if a regular guy can come just shoot a match. Didn't see anything like that when I was checking out their website, but it's worth asking.
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

We always accepted walk ups for the match fee, which was not much.
They did have to shoot in a special class untill they got 3 matches under thier belt and could be properly classified.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Griff was right. I sent them an email and you don't need to be a member to shoot a match. I guess I should have done that in the first place. I won't be able to go to the match this month as the date conflicts with other plans already made. :(
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Just be prepared for the three match penalty.
They won't know what classs to put you in.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I am indeed fortunate to get such an accurate rifle. Got lucky there! The rifle is amazing! I am shooting from prone with my left hand supporting the butt. I am real solid in that position, but I did have a sore back after the match. I wouldn't be as steady from sitting so I will put up with the sore back.

One of the other shooters told me that a blow tube doesn't work in our dry climate so I haven't tried it. I based my load on information I found on the internet. I am not resizing the brass. I am using a Winchester WLR primer because that's what I have. I ended up with 57 gr. of Swiss 2fg dropped through a drop tube. I read that Swiss doesn't like much compression so I just set the bullet on top of the powder and compress it a little bit. I haven't measured the compression exactly, maybe .020" to .030". The bullet is set into the lands as far as it will go. I would have to seat them deeper if I used a blow tube.

On the tang sight I come up .48" from chickens to rams.

I thought the normal procedure was to put new shooters in Master class(the highest class) for their first shoot and then classify them based on the results of that shoot. I suppose different clubs have different procedures.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Woohoo! Had my dates mixed up, so it looks like I'm going to make it to the Silhouette match in at St. Louis Benchrest Club at the end of the month.
NRA Life Member
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Go get 'em, Ted. What are you shooting?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Always wanted to shoot some silhouette. Tried it with T/C contenders a time or two but had trouble with my back and with my bifocals, which wouldn't be an issue with a rifle. Shooting a 28 your second match is something to be mighty proud of! Those Brownings with the Badger barrels have a great reputation.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Marc wrote:Go get 'em, Ted. What are you shooting?
I'll be shooting my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Sporting Rifle, 45-70.
NRA Life Member