Auction Weakness 2 - Rolling Block 7mm Mauser

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Auction Weakness 2 - Rolling Block 7mm Mauser

Post by FatJackDurham »

At the Merrills auction, I wanted to try to by a second rolling block. The catalog listed it as .25 cal, but when I examined it before the auction, it was a 7mm Mauser that someone had chopped the forend to make a sporter.

Most of the bidding on guns went up to the point where the price was no longer a "deal" but all the dealers could sell it at a profit. So, the Steven's 44 1/2 in 32-40 went for $800, the Steven's Tip Up in .32 rimfire went for $320, all the .44 Cap and Ball Remington styles went for about $150. A lot of the time, the Internet proxy bidders had bids in so the people on the floor had to bid up to that lever.

When the roller came up, they announced on the floor that it was a 7mm, not a .25 and I was worried this might spark interest. However, I was only bidding against an absentee bidder. Just at $100, I decided to stop, but the absentee had only bid $100, and I got there first!!!!

I had planned to rebarrel it to shoot smokeless 45-70, as the Lemonton project I am working on will be a BP only. This 7mm was a No. 5 model 1901, so it was good for light smokeless loads under 40,000 CUP. However, after checking the prices of the forends on rollingblockparts.com, I have decided to try to restore the wood parts to a full up Mauser instead. We'll see.

Okay, here it is.....

Patent date is definitely 1902, not 1902 like some others....

Numbers matching, 3988 batch. The but plate also has a second set of numbers, 94641, I don't know what this is. I read somewhere, maybe here, that the Rollers were batch numbered 0001 through 9999 then start over.

Based on some old threads here and in other places, I wanted to compare the chamber casting to the SAAMI chamber drawings. Nearly everything matched EXCEPT the shoulder and neck which had some .010 differences. 2ndovc, if you reload for yours, read up on how to properly resize the brass. There is also a youtube cautionary tail of someone shooting 7mm in a Roller and getting shrapnel in the brain. The short version is, the shoulder size is different, so there is excessive headspace. In the event of case separation, the rolling block receiver has no way to handle the gasses, and so it could be come a grenade. Most sources recommend using 8mm brass resized with a 7mm sizer, slowly and checking headspace until the breech close and you can drop the trigger.

Mine is a rotory extractor. What wasyours, Griff? Did you do anything special for the brass?

I need look up these proof marks

Anyway, this goes in the safe, till I can afford the new wood, and I finish the Lemonton. One project at a time.....
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Auction Weakness 2 - Rolling Block 7mm Mauser

Post by FatJackDurham »

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

This explains the things that look like anchors are anchors, the test and final inspector marks. The site references 1920 and later. I wonder what the standard was for 19th century marks. I'd like to know what the Y264 means, probably a manufacture date?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I bought a H&R Topper M158 in 30/30 for $149. Thought I was extremely lucky to find it. Your RB takes the cake. It looks trim and light. Wish it could talk. Don't know why some one cut the fore end like that, must of had a good reason at the time. Can't wait to see it when your done redoing it. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I really need to get the roto carve running.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Mescalero wrote:I really need to get the roto carve running.
Yeah, how long will you make us wait!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It's in N.M.
I am in Phoenix.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

It appears I misidentified the model of the gun. After seeing the front site of the "Rolling Block Quandry" post, mine is a M1910. The upper tang stamp mentioning Union Metallic is a sign that it was manufactured after the 1912 merger.

No biggie. Still a fine gun, and hopefully Ken Womak at RollingBlockParts.com will have the right forend.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I had a 7mm it was reported that these were chambered a bit different still 7mm but not the same dimensions of the shells we use today. It did not matter with mine the bore was a sewer pipe so I had it made into a 45/70. I made it like a buffalo gun big mistake fun to shoot at the range with, but a PITA to hunt with I traded it even up for a New Marlin Guide gun and never looked back.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.