Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Reloading 45 LC for Uberti '73 Levergun

Post by Terry Murbach »

45COLT BRASS; STARLINE.
WLP PRIMERS.
250gr LFN BULLETS;
.454" OD
9.0grs UNIVERSAL.
ROLL CRIMPED.
1200fps ; 19" BBL.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Any 45LC load safe to use in the Colt SAA will be just fine in the U73.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I typically only load cowboy loads for my Uberti '73, 24" barrel. But, I have found that .452 bullets in the 200-255 grain variety are superbly accurate. I tried my 185 grain WFN, but lacks lube carrying capacity and tumbles before reaching 10 yards. Accuracy suffers. I have some newer 185 SWCs that cycle thru the action well, and have them in both a moly coated version and a standard lubed version... they have a much wider lube groove, but I just haven't shot them out of the rifle yet. MOstly those get used in my 1911s. But I would like to get 'em a test.

I have a 225 grain truncated cone bullet that I cast from a RCBS 45-225-CAV mold, sized to .452 and in either BP or smokeless is just about the best feeding and general purpose bullet I've found for my rifle. I have loaded some up to the max listing for standard 45 Colt with a 230 grain bullet, although I was only using this 225 weight, and had no issues with loads or rifle. I never chronographed them, nor really shot them on paper, on at steel. 10" at 200 yards were no problem... but then this was 20 years ago, when the eyes were still good, and tested well above the norms at 20/15.

Most recently, I've been buying a 200 grain RFN that's made by two different commercial casters locally, (conserving my lead for hard-to-get bullets I cast), and have found them to be as good feeding and as accurate as the 225TC.
Grizzly Adams wrote:Any 45LC load safe to use in the Colt SAA will be just fine in the U73.
Exactly!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a '92 Navy Arms Hartford 20 inch carbine that shoots my Colt load just fine. I load a 255 grain swc over 7.8 grains of Unique, it is a very accurate load in my Colt and the rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Think 250gr bullets and Blue Dot powder. At standard pressures in handguns, the difference over Unique and Universal is near zip, but in the longer rifle barrel, its gains are useful. I have been using it for years in .38 Special and midrange .357 carbines. Careful investigation of 800X is another possibility.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't have a 73 but the concept is the same for any .45 Colt rifle.

>Most any case that meets my criteria: Meet minimum length, not split, hold primer securely.
>Usually WW WLP primers, but I've used 'em all.
>For standard pressure loads I use 8.0 to 9.0 grs Unique, or 7.1 grs 231. I have used a lot of others, but these two are my go-to powders.
>Bullets: I stick with 250 - 255 gr because they carry farther. The lighter bullets can be driven faster but they are short compared to their diameter and their velocity falls off faster.
>Every rifle I've shot chambered in .45 Colt gave me better accuracy with .454" to .456" soft or soft cast bullets.
>Skip the molly coat, it's not worth the extra money you pay for them. I've tried several brands and even when following their directions they leaded my rifles and revolvers badly. Had to pull the last 100 of them, run them through my RCBS Lube-A-Matic and put real bullet lube in the groves.
Oh, also skip the RNFP bullets with the tiny lube groves, they are no good in rifles above cowboy loads as they just do not carry enough lube. Stick with bullets such as the Lyman 454190 or other bullets with largish lube groves and you'll not have any leading at all.
Plated bullets are a different animal. I really like the Rainier 250gr TC shaped bullet. I use the same powder charge as with lead and have gotten some really good accuracy. The plating is thin but the bullets are dead soft and expand readily to seal the bore.
Taper crimp them with a .45 ACP taper crimp die, don't roll crimp them.
>Case prep: I always full length my cases weather I use a carbide or standard steel die. Then I expand them with an RCBS .454" cowboy die expander. Seat the bullet then roll crimp them. The bullets stay put that way and have a good neck tension.

When last I shot my Win 94 Trapper at 100 yards I got 2" ± groups.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Meatwad
Levergunner

Post by Meatwad »

Been following this with some interest as when I start reloading this is a caliber I want to reload. I clearly have more research to do.

Question...What is a lubricated bullet?
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Meatwad wrote:
Question...What is a lubricated bullet?
Cast bullets are lubricated with a wax based lube for Smokeless - usually blue or red in color. For BP they are lubed with SPG or some other product designed for BP use. Both types are carried in the "lube groove" or the cast bullet. Molly is another kind of lube that can be applied to lead bullets.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
jager3
Levergunner

Post by jager3 »

Loads I use in my 20" Uberti (standard warnings apply, assuming no responsibility that they will be safe in yours!) are as follows: 1. 10.5/AA5/255 cast 2. 8.7/Unique/255 cast 3. 17.2/SR4759/255 cast 4. 12.9/Blue Dot/255 cast 5. 9.0/Unique/240JHC(Sierra). All cast loads were made in a Lee mold, tumble lubed with liquid ALOX, resized .454 in a Lee resizing die, and tumble lubed a second time. All fall within the "Cowboy MAX" criteria and non have caused much leading while delivering from 1250 to 1350fps in my shorter barrel with excellent accuracy. I tried the RCBS mold, 270-45, and incurred feeding problems with the bullet design (SWC); however, it was very accurate. This site put me on to SR4759 and I tried H4198, but SR4759 was so much more accurate in mine I stopped pursuing the other. I did try Alliant's 2400, and while 16.5 to 17.0gr was fairly accurate, it was dirtier and not as consistent (velocity spread) as the others. BTW, I only use "Starline" brass in my 1873 rifle.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The 73 requires the cartridge overall length to be in a certain range to feed properly.
The mortice for the carrier is a perfect gauge for this length. Open the lever and drop a loaded round in the bottom of the carrier mortice and you want your cartridges to be just a smidge shorter than the mortice opening.
Luckily, most cast bullet molds have the crimp groove in the proper place due to the 73`s popularity in CAS.
Any load suitable for the SAA can be used in them.
Have fun!! :D