OT - hit and run driver won't divulge his insurance provider

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

OT - hit and run driver won't divulge his insurance provider

Post by Tycer »

Nancy and I had a driver force his way into the space we were occupying on a bumper-to-bumper interstate Sunday. He evaded us after he hit us, but I got pics and plate # before he disappeared.

I got his name, address and vin# from the State Troopers, along with the name of the person behind us who could not have missed seeing it, and gave it to my insurance company. When my insurance company called him he admitted to merging into our car, but refused to divulge his insurance company. Said to call him back in a couple of days.....

How do I find his insurance company?

I would like to assume they are trying to find out the info for me, but I get the feeling my insurance company would rather I pony up the $500 deductible and just claim it on my insurance along with the raised premiums.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tycer,

If your insurance co is trying to get you to pay the deductibles, and the other guy is trying to evade giving you his information, then I have only one suggestion for you:

Hire a lawyer. You'll have to. Especially if the other guy has State Farm. Since he wasn't ticketed you'll play hell getting them to pay.

Been there, done that. Got the scars.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bfm
Levergunner

Post by bfm »

If he admitted to it, see if you can file hit and run charges.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, file the claim with your insurance company and let them deal with it. You don't need a lawyer. It's their job to go after him, and they'll hound him to the ends of the earth.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - hit and run driver won't divulge his insurance prov

Post by Jarhead »

Tycer wrote:Nancy and I had a driver force his way into the space we were occupying on a bumper-to-bumper interstate Sunday. He evaded us after he hit us, but I got pics and plate # before he disappeared.

I got his name, address and vin# from the State Troopers, along with the name of the person behind us who could not have missed seeing it, and gave it to my insurance company. When my insurance company called him he admitted to merging into our car, but refused to divulge his insurance company. Said to call him back in a couple of days.....

I would like to assume they are trying to find out the info for me, but I get the feeling my insurance company would rather I pony up the $500 deductible and just claim it on my insurance along with the raised premiums.
I am a former(retired) Insurance Claims Professional...don't hire an atty. You will be spinning your wheels and wasting your money on this one!...Chances are this person may not have Insurance, and your Uninsured Motorist coverage will apply. You may have to initially use your Coll. coverage until the investigation is completed and pay your deductible...if the loss/accident was not your fault...your rates won't go up...If the investigation reveals no insurance on the other party,,,Your Insurance Company will subrogate(go after!) the responsible party to include your deductible. If you don't want to pay your deductible now and your vehicle is still drivable, you can wait until the investigation is completed and get your wheels fixed under the uninsured Coverage without a deductible..

Feel free to PM me for additional advice...be glad to assist.

Mike
Semper Fi
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

NC DMV computers list the insurance co right along with the other info. Same for the law enforcement system. Ask the Troopers that took the report or anyone who can run the plate legally.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

In Texas a driver is required by law to have insurance and to show it to the other party when an accident takes place.

In your case, the police would have go to this fellow and he would have to show insurance. He would also be cited for leaving the scene of the accident . His insurance (if he had any) would be on the police report which is public record and you can request a copy. If he had no insurance, he would also be cited for that as well.

If the follow had insurance, he would be in violation of the law for not stoping and giving you that information. If is also required by his policy to report it to his insurance carrier. If he did not he is also in policy violation.

I don't know what state you are in, but I would guess you have something similiar.

If he has no insurance, he will have to pay fines and in Texas they will also be unable to drive his car until he has insurance. Your only recourse is to sue him in civil court for the $500.00 deductable which is probably a waste of time.

You do have uninsured motorist covered on your policy..right!!!
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Well seeing as you have his address :twisted:

Just kidding, but oh so tempting.

These gents have great advice, unfortunately in todays times the most important
thing you must have is patience, God bless, I hope it works out for ya.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

86er wrote:NC DMV computers list the insurance co right along with the other info. Same for the law enforcement system. Ask the Troopers that took the report or anyone who can run the plate legally.
The guy hit us in SC and lives in NY. The SC Trooper could not get the insurance info from NY.
Kind regards,
Tycer
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Tycer, sorry to hear about your problem, glad no one was hurt. I hope it works out for you.
Ricky

DWWC
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I think there is a fella in NY named Guido who may be able to help you with this.... :lol:

Ed
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

If Guido isn't available, ask for Tony. He's the one w/ the baseball bat :lol: ....
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Jarhead wrote: I am a former(retired) Insurance Claims Professional...don't hire an atty. You will be spinning your wheels and wasting your money on this one!...Chances are this person may not have Insurance, and your Uninsured Motorist coverage will apply. You may have to initially use your Coll. coverage until the investigation is completed and pay your deductible...if the loss/accident was not your fault...your rates won't go up...If the investigation reveals no insurance on the other party,,,Your Insurance Company will subrogate(go after!) the responsible party to include your deductible. If you don't want to pay your deductible now and your vehicle is still drivable, you can wait until the investigation is completed and get your wheels fixed under the uninsured Coverage without a deductible..

Mike

Jarhead,

If you were what you say you were, then you should know the Un-insured Motorist coverage is a Bodily Injury coverage, not Property Damage. The coverage known as Un-insured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) would apply in this case, but only if you had purchased this coverage and did not have Collision, since Collision and UMPD are mutuallly exclusive, you can't have both. You would have to file a claim with your company under your own Collision, and pay the deductible. The worst you would be out is the deductible and aggravation.

Tycer,

Depending on privacy laws, if your state has a mandatory liability insurance law they track insurance. Data is provided to them on at least a monthly basis by every insurance company licensed to sell insurance in that state. By contacting the state DMV you may be able to determine what company, if any, insures this person. Its worth a try at least.

Jarhead does make a valid point about not hiring an attorney. Unless there are injuries there just isn't anything to recover other than actual damages, and possibly legal expenses. Filing a small claims action in state court, assuming the damage does not exceed the small claims threshold, is probably the most practical way to proceed. You don't need, and usually may not use an attorney in small claims suits.

A current insurance professional (in this incarnation).
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

You may never see or hear from this a-hole again.

Sorry to be blunt.

Your insurance company will likely go after him IF your claim is gonna cost them.

If it's only a few hundred out of their pockets, on top of your deductible, they'll leave it alone.

I say, pay your deductible, get it fixed and have the insurance comany put IN WRITING that it will not count against your premium, at the very least.

What's $500 in the grand scheme of things, anyway?
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Cast Bullet Hunter wrote:
Jarhead wrote: I am a former(retired) Insurance Claims Professional...don't hire an atty. You will be spinning your wheels and wasting your money on this one!...Chances are this person may not have Insurance, and your Uninsured Motorist coverage will apply. You may have to initially use your Coll. coverage until the investigation is completed and pay your deductible...if the loss/accident was not your fault...your rates won't go up...If the investigation reveals no insurance on the other party,,,Your Insurance Company will subrogate(go after!) the responsible party to include your deductible. If you don't want to pay your deductible now and your vehicle is still drivable, you can wait until the investigation is completed and get your wheels fixed under the uninsured Coverage without a deductible..

Mike

Jarhead,

If you were what you say you were, then you should know the Un-insured Motorist coverage is a Bodily Injury coverage, not Property Damage. The coverage known as Un-insured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) would apply in this case, but only if you had purchased this coverage and did not have Collision, since Collision and UMPD are mutuallly exclusive, you can't have both. You would have to file a claim with your company under your own Collision, and pay the deductible. The worst you would be out is the deductible and aggravation.

Tycer,

Depending on privacy laws, if your state has a mandatory liability insurance law they track insurance. Data is provided to them on at least a monthly basis by every insurance company licensed to sell insurance in that state. By contacting the state DMV you may be able to determine what company, if any, insures this person. Its worth a try at least.

Jarhead does make a valid point about not hiring an attorney. Unless there are injuries there just isn't anything to recover other than actual damages, and possibly legal expenses. Filing a small claims action in state court, assuming the damage does not exceed the small claims threshold, is probably the most practical way to proceed. You don't need, and usually may not use an attorney in small claims suits.

Cast Bullet,

Perhaps I was not specific enough in my earlier post, so you may have misunderstood what I was trying to convey to Tycer. Both PDUM and Coll cannot overlap one another. You pay under one or the other. No injuries in this case so BIUM is not an issue.

Yes, it's called PDUM Property Damage Uninsured Motorist , and yes, you have to purchase the coverage, however, if the investigation reveals no insurance you can provide payment under this coverage. UMPD/PDUM....have done it many times. No you can't pay under both, but if PDUM applies, you obviously don't use the Collision Coverage and can pay it under the PDUM...Spent 11 years in Alaska as a Multi line Adjuster and 14 years as a Multi line Claims Manager ... BIUM= Bodily Injury Uninsured Motorist.... :wink: Uninsured Motorist Coverage is both PDUM and BIUM.... :wink: You can have both Collision and UMPD/PDUM on your Policy and still provide coverage under PDUM. However, only if the investigation reveals no Insurance on the responsible party. :wink: He can use his collision coverage now if he wishes and pay the deductible(wait to recover it via subrogation) OR...hold out on the investigation and use his PDUM.... :) You cannot force your insured to use his Collision coverage ..if he/she wants to hold off to see if PDUM applies.

Note: If the responsible party hit and ran and could not be located than the insured would have to use his/her Collision coverage, but in this case he has been located and identified. If the investigation reveals that he infact has no insurance, then coverage can be provided under the PDUM/UMPD coverage and Tycer will not have to pay his deductible. It's his choice...If it were me and the vehicle was drivable, I would wait and see if the other party had Insurance. Why would I want to cough up my deductible if I didn't have too? If the other party has insurance.....well, he can always wait and have them foot the bill to include a rental car while his vehicle is in for repairs.

As we both know, different companies have different auto policys(language), so often times it will hinge on the policy contract and the state it is written in...etc...the specific endorsements that might apply.

The investigation might take a long time due to the Claimant being uncooperative and out of State, so Tycer may want to just belly up to the bar and handle it under his Collision coverage to avoid delays in the repairs, etc. The insurance comapny will go after the claimant, but as we both know, you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. He may never get his deductible reimbursed to him due to the claimant being a "dead beat", but the Insurance company can get his license suspended to put presure on him to pay, and use other legal avenues, etc...atleast we could do that in Alaska. Being that this claimant is out of state makes it more difficult.

Tycer can go after him for his deductible in small claims and I'm sure his deductible will be under the threshold, which is usually $5000 in most jurisdictions. I doubt very much if Tycer has a $5000.00 deductible :lol:
And he can handle that himself...no attorney needed.

Great to be retired(2005) and I hope you're not too loaded up with pending claims :lol: Been there done that :!:

Best wishes with your (in this incarnation) Insurance Profession. By the way, I don't BS anybody, as in "if you were what you say you were."

Mike AKA JARHEAD :D
Last edited by Jarhead on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Semper Fi
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tycer -

I'll second the motion - sorry to hear this happened, and glad you and the misses are okay.

This is a hit and run. He owned up to it. The law should go after him, but I suspect that with no injuries and him being out of state, NY local law isn't interested in doing so. :evil:

Good luck!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Jarhead, thanks!

The damage is minor - small dent and scrape on the edge of the RF wheel well. After the adjuster gets his pics, I'll buff it out and wait a while on the investigation.

Thank you all!
Kind regards,
Tycer
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Contact him and tell him unless he fully discloses all the facts (he was I suspect under the influence) you will hire an attorney to sue him and a private investigator to look into his life and his where abouts before the accident.

Wm
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Tycer wrote:Nancy and I had a driver force his way into the space we were occupying on a bumper-to-bumper interstate Sunday. He evaded us after he hit us, but I got pics and plate # before he disappeared.

tycer, i dont know what state you're in but in mine hit N run is a felony. your insurance company should be the one going after this guy and also law enforcement. i dont see why it should go on your record in any way.
g rice
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

In Fla. the only time hit and run is a felony is where there are injuries involved.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Rusty wrote:In Fla. the only time hit and run is a felony is where there are injuries involved.
i may be mistaken in my state, but it's a serious offense that can get your butt booked anyway.
g rice
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Darn Yankees
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Is a "Black Op" out of the question? :twisted:
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Tycer wrote:
86er wrote:NC DMV computers list the insurance co right along with the other info. Same for the law enforcement system. Ask the Troopers that took the report or anyone who can run the plate legally.
The guy hit us in SC and lives in NY. The SC Trooper could not get the insurance info from NY.
If the car is registered in NY and is VALID, the reg and the computer have an INS code on file. The SC trooper only has to ask his NYS counterpart for the code. It's a three digit code your INS folks will understand and be able to contact the folks. All the INS co really NEEDS is the plate or vin# and state, and NYS will absolutely be able to provide them (INS co) the info. NYS has mandatory INS and automatic suspension if uninsured for 4 days or more. If his reg is valid, (not suspended) he's almost certainly insured.
Certified gun nut
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

I just talked to Tony n Guido across the fence last eve, I think they'l :P take care of you, butt they will require a down payment... :(
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Tycer wrote:Jarhead, thanks!

The damage is minor - small dent and scrape on the edge of the RF wheel well. After the adjuster gets his pics, I'll buff it out and wait a while on the investigation.

Thank you all!
You're welcome brother...hope all works out in your favor. Hang tuff!
Semper Fi
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Jarhead wrote:
Cast Bullet Hunter wrote:

Mike

Jarhead,

Tycer,

Cast Bullet,

Perhaps I was not specific enough in my earlier post, so you may have misunderstood what I was trying to convey to Tycer. Both PDUM and Coll cannot overlap one another. You pay under one or the other. No injuries in this case so BIUM is not an issue.

Yes, it's called PDUM Property Damage Uninsured Motorist , and yes, you have to purchase the coverage, however, if the investigation reveals no insurance you can provide payment under this coverage. UMPD/PDUM....have done it many times. No you can't pay under both, but if PDUM applies, you obviously don't use the Collision Coverage and can pay it under the PDUM...Spent 11 years in Alaska as a Multi line Adjuster and 14 years as a Multi line Claims Manager ... BIUM= Bodily Injury Uninsured Motorist.... :wink: Uninsured Motorist Coverage is both PDUM and BIUM.... :wink: You can have both Collision and UMPD/PDUM on your Policy and still provide coverage under PDUM. However, only if the investigation reveals no Insurance on the responsible party. :wink: He can use his collision coverage now if he wishes and pay the deductible(wait to recover it via subrogation) OR...hold out on the investigation and use his PDUM.... :) You cannot force your insured to use his Collision coverage ..if he/she wants to hold off to see if PDUM applies.

Note: If the responsible party hit and ran and could not be located than the insured would have to use his/her Collision coverage, but in this case he has been located and identified. If the investigation reveals that he infact has no insurance, then coverage can be provided under the PDUM/UMPD coverage and Tycer will not have to pay his deductible. It's his choice...If it were me and the vehicle was drivable, I would wait and see if the other party had Insurance. Why would I want to cough up my deductible if I didn't have too? If the other party has insurance.....well, he can always wait and have them foot the bill to include a rental car while his vehicle is in for repairs.

As we both know, different companies have different auto policys(language), so often times it will hinge on the policy contract and the state it is written in...etc...the specific endorsements that might apply.

The investigation might take a long time due to the Claimant being uncooperative and out of State, so Tycer may want to just belly up to the bar and handle it under his Collision coverage to avoid delays in the repairs, etc. The insurance comapny will go after the claimant, but as we both know, you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. He may never get his deductible reimbursed to him due to the claimant being a "dead beat", but the Insurance company can get his license suspended to put presure on him to pay, and use other legal avenues, etc...atleast we could do that in Alaska. Being that this claimant is out of state makes it more difficult.

Tycer can go after him for his deductible in small claims and I'm sure his deductible will be under the threshold, which is usually $5000 in most jurisdictions. I doubt very much if Tycer has a $5000.00 deductible :lol:
And he can handle that himself...no attorney needed.

Great to be retired(2005) and I hope you're not too loaded up with pending claims :lol: Been there done that :!:

Best wishes with your (in this incarnation) Insurance Profession. By the way, I don't BS anybody, as in "if you were what you say you were."

Mike AKA JARHEAD :D

Cast Bullet Hunter:

Are you in Claims or Sales?

"You talk the talk...do you walk the walk?"
Semper Fi