New Rolling Block from Ballard or Shiloh in the works?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

New Rolling Block from Ballard or Shiloh in the works?

Post by kaschi »

Just read sorta recently that a new Rolling Block Rifle is in the works from either Ballard or Shiloh (can't remember which one, though). Can anyone confirm this? A quality US-made one would sure be nice. With the loss of Dave at Lone Star, I don't believe there are presently any US makers which manufacture a rolling block.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Rolling Block from Ballard or Shiloh in the works?

Post by FatJackDurham »

http://www.hardcastlecustommachine.com/gallery.php

Curt Hardcastle doesn't manufacture them, but he does have a list of reconditioning services that may as well be new production.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Don't know what Ballard is doing, or if they are even still in business, but I'ld just about guarantee Shiloh isn't going to build a rolling block. C Sharps does offer the Hepburn which is an offshoot of the rolling block.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Isn't Remington still doing theirs?
Mine's about 12 years old, they still show them on the website.
Denis
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Did pedersoli stop producinging theirs? There has been a John Bodine on the KTPguns site for a while...
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

FatJackDurham wrote:http://www.hardcastlecustommachine.com/gallery.php

Curt Hardcastle doesn't manufacture them, but he does have a list of reconditioning services that may as well be new production.
nice link - his work is pretty - I liked the milled finish on the Martini
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, Pedersoli's producing the Remington RB's............... all is not what it seems, Grasshopper..... :roll:

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Don McDowell wrote: C Sharps does offer the Hepburn which is an offshoot of the rolling block.

Yes sir and I think I 'd like one !

From the pics I really like it !

My friend that just passed had an original Hepburn in 40-70 SS that I would have loved to have .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pete44ru wrote:.

AFAIK, Pedersoli's producing the Remington RB's............... all is not what it seems, Grasshopper..... :roll:

If "I'm" paying the bill a Euro copy is not the same thing .

My gunsmith friend has a Pedersoli RB and Sharps and while they shoot just fine . Well for me atleast it isn't the same .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The pedersoli rolling blocks aren't the same as the Remingtons, they changed some of the spacings on the pins.

Those C Sharps Hepburns are nice, a fella I shoot with on occasion got the 1st 40-65 that came out the door, I believe it was the 3rd one CSA built. Very well fit and finished.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Pedersoli does make Rollingblocks, but the ones that come out of Remington's Custom Shop are made by Remington.
I've worked with a Pedersoli & it was nice, but not as well done overall as my true Remington.
Denis
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Don McDowell wrote:Don't know what Ballard is doing, or if they are even still in business, but I'ld just about guarantee Shiloh isn't going to build a rolling block. C Sharps does offer the Hepburn which is an offshoot of the rolling block.
Don, how is the Hepburn an off shoot of the rolling block? A friend has an original Hepburn and it is a falling block.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hepburn was a Remington employee, the flush handle runs the block etc. It may be a falling block of sorts, but the block stays within the action much like the rolling block and does not come thru the action such as a Sharps, 1885, etc.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

It is a falling block pure and simple. The breech block slides vertically in mortises inside the receiver. That is what a falling block is.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What ever you say.... :roll:
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

There was a custom shop, Lozito in New York, that used to offer a rolling block action in the white; it was pretty expensive, as I recall. They also offered a replica of the 1875 Sharps prototypes, albeit with somewhat improved internals. Their site no longer mentions actions, though.

As for Hepburns, DZ in Oklahoma makes a very nice one, but I last handled one of theirs nearly 10 years ago. For those wanting to roll their own, Upper Missouri Trading in Nebraska offers a kit.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I read about the US made one in either GUNS or AMERICAN HANDGUNNER. Mike Venturino made short mention of it.