Return to the range!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Return to the range!

Post by Old Savage »

Well fellas, yesterday Cinco De Mayo is official return to the range day for me after a long wait from the July accident. Took these two fellows with me as they had never been fired as far as I could tell. Marlin is a 95 manufacture, the Ruger is a 75. Decide to use the Marlin with the open sights. :shock: Fired six rounds of Federal 170s in adjusting the ramp. seem to shoot all over the place. Decided to switch to try the Wincester 170 PPs. Still not anything like what I wanted to see UNTIL ..... drum roll please --- the last three shots. I checked each shot of the 16 in my spotting scope so knew at the time where each went. Now maybe after all this time I was settling down or maybe the rifle or both. But the last three are in a 1" group. The last two are on top of each other. So - very pleased in the end. Any ideas about lever actions "shooting in"?

Here is the target with the particulars.

Next on to the pistol range with the Ruger and the 45 ACP Cyl. As you may recall from a previous topic I was concerned about the accuracy level with what I measured as .456 throats and .451/.452 bullets. The rounds are on these targets are all Federal FMJ 45 ACPs. The three targets were all shot at 20 yds offhand. The first group was 3", the other other two measure 2 7/8". As you see on the first two the Ruger was shooting to the left for me. SO, I cleverly aimed to the right on the last target :) red crosses show the aim point - that is how I like to see the sights. I am sure that the Ruger can easily shoot half of what is there rested. Apparently the bullet/throat sizes are not an issue as someone - maybe Blaine suggested, at least for my purposes. All in all a great return to the range day which is what 5 de May shall be for me a celebration from here on out and I invite all Me He Co to celebrate with me. :D Saw a number of old friends there with warm greetings - good to be back at it.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Return to the range!

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Check the butt stock screw on the rifle for tightness and maybe try some 150`s too. It may just have had to be shot to settle down,like you say.
That revolver is doing fine. Adjust the sights and shoot it. :wink:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Glad it was fun! I have a Marlin that I have been able to get to shoot well either, so I look forward to more feedback on that. Any issues with recoil? My Marlin seems to smack the poo outta me from the bench whereas I can shoot my Winchesters all day (others report exactly the opposite - must be a body geometry thing).
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good to see You back out shooting,been a long haul for You. send the Marlin to Me and i'll try it out... :lol: .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good to see you haven't lost your touch... :D I suppose you will stick a carrying handle on the Marlin... :roll: :lol:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Mon May 06, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Glad you were able to get back out on the range...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Back the band screws off the Marlin (front & rear) about ½ a turn. Turn the adjustment screw of the Ruger to move the rear sight to the right 2 clicks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

This Leupold M8 3X would look great & show ya what that Marlin can really do. :wink:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0523820517
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Oly, recoil no problem. Marlin not a problem with open or scope and Winchester is ok with a scope but I can't really get down on a Winchester w/o the scope but with an added pad that gives a little more drop my .444 Big Bore is fine. Now where is that screw driver that fits the Ruger rear sight?

I will have to check the various screws. Mike, actually I just picked up a perfect 3X Weaver steel Micro Trac.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:Oly, recoil no problem. Marlin not a problem with open or scope and Winchester is ok with a scope but I can't really get down on a Winchester w/o the scope but with an added pad that gives a little more drop my .444 Big Bore is fine. Now where is that screw driver that fits the Ruger rear sight?

I will have to check the various screws. Mike, actually I just picked up a perfect 3X Weaver steel Micro Trac.
"3X Weaver steel Micro Trac"

That'll work just dandy as well. 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Any ideas about lever actions "shooting in"?
OS, Yes, I do. Sometimes you have to shoot more than a half dozen rounds in a range session. I shoot a dozen just to foul the bore. :D

Your doing fine, just stay with it and keep any screws that bolt something to the barrel a little loose.

Good to see your "back in the saddle".

I was hoping that you would post pictures of your "ammo handler" jabbing you in the shoulder. :D ------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK Six - here is the last "ammo handler" - but this is golf and we clearly did not get a "say cheese" for this one.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Very nice curves 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

She is good on the curves - was a professional race driver - I let her drive the cart. :)

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hot & fast 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, back to the Marlin - if you think about it, it was put together and sat for 18 years with whatever aging of the wood produced. Everything seems to be tight and very well fitted. I will see how it shoots without changing anything for the moment. I will also try 150s - my others which are Winchesters shoot 170s better. Every once in a while I experience a rebirth of interest in the 30-30. Only one is scoped. :)

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

i hope all is pain free the day after shooting.
it looks like we might get a summer shoot in ?
looks like willow springs to me. nice !!!
oldguy.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Could be Willow Springs oldguy, CowboyTutt moving again - are you interested in coming up to A Place to Shoot for a shoot?

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

say when !
i will be out of town next week. sierras calling.
tutt moving closer?
oldguy.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Glad you're getting out and burning some powder! 8)
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yeah Ted, that was nice - have to look at getting those bullets you sent me on top of some - some busy stuff coming up though. Have to do a seminar in Montana end of June, couple of other engagements in May etc. But sure felt nice. The Ruger is very pleasant with the ACPs - nice because they are a lot more reasonable to get than the 45 Colts.

OK Griff - two clicks right - check!

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Good to see you burning powder at the range again Fred. It's always relaxing - well, almost always. :) Overall, your shooting was not too shabby. Nice guns.
ED
Yer never too old
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Welcome back OS. Glad your mending is progressing well.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'm sure they were glad to see you at APTS.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks El C and all - harder to explain the stages of recovery than the initial injuries - thanks for all who have inquired. I have tried in my various posts to present in PICTURES :) That I am back to many of my old acitivities - although - Mescalero suggests I have lost my edge. :) Good news - Heather is back at large _ I shall post a pic or too. Get that Gold Mine a crankin for that necklace! :D