Magdalena, NM

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Magdalena, NM

Post by 92&94 »

What was the name of the place that serves a good green chile burger?

We've yet to exhaust dining options in Socorro, but I expect that is coming soon :mrgreen:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Magdalena, NM

Post by Mescalero »

I think you have your towns mixed up.
The place you are looking for is in San Antonio, New Mexico.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I enjoy sautéing smoked green chilies, garlic and onion, mixing with a little mayo on a greasy, pink on the inside half-pounder....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

We're working out at the VLA and staying in Socorro. This is likely to continue into July - or October if one asks a born pessimist like myself :mrgreen:

I did have lunch once in San Antonio. A bar on the NW corner of 380 and whatever heads down to the bird refuge. Great atmosphere, but food average. Another suggestion would be welcome, I get to go home this weekend to find the inlaws lodged in the newly completed guest house. We could well head down to show them the birds if the weather is nice, though I expect its a bit late in the year for that.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

NUTS...wasn't hungry until you guys start talking about food...BlaineG, you're description sent me to the fridge... :O
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is quite a drive from Socorro to the VLA.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Did you know that parts of " The Milargro Beanfield War " were filmed in Magdalena?
A very funny satire.
Good book.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I did not know that, one of the guys I'm working with is a big fan of The Milagro Beanfield War, I'll tell him that. I had figured they used a town or set closer to Santa Fe like most of the others seem to do.

I kind of liked the book better, but both are worth the time to watch/read.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Mescalero wrote:I think you have your towns mixed up.
The place you are looking for is in San Antonio, New Mexico.
PLUS ONE. Mescalero's right. Name of the place is "The Owl Bar". Best green chile burgers in the Southwest, bar none! San Antonio is just south of you guys on US 380, and also known as the town with the first Hilton hotel.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If I go to Alb., I have to drive through ( downtown ? ) San Antonio.
Have not had the green chili cheseburger, my acid refluxe would not tolerate it.
But the chile eaters swear by it.
Oh, by the way, if you have blonde hair and blue eyes and you order in Spanish.............
you will freak out the waitress.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:If I go to Alb., I have to drive through ( downtown ? ) San Antonio.
Have not had the green chili cheseburger, my acid refluxe would not tolerate it.
But the chile eaters swear by it.
Oh, by the way, if you have blonde hair and blue eyes and you order in Spanish.............
you will freak out the waitress.
Izat you? 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

GoatGuy wrote:... and also known as the town with the first Hilton hotel.
I believe that would be in Cisco, Texas. circa 1919.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

GoatGuy is right. The Owl Bar is the place to go for a green chile burger. I used to drive back and forth from Roswell to Truth or Consequences every week because I was doing work out there. I would eat a cheeseburger once on the way there, and once on the way back, as I passed right by The Owl.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I just remember that Grizzly Adams mentioned a place in Magdalena that had a good one. Since we're driving through often at supper time, seems like a good option. I may have to go use the search feature and find the thread.

Owl Bar is where I ate in San Antonio. It was ok, good burger but a bit more greasy than I generally like. Bar was pretty cool though. Might have been an off day.

Speaking of blonde blue eyed Spanish speakers, one time when I drove through Cuauhtemoc, Chihuahua, it really struck me that parts of town looked a lot like the 1930's midwestern USA, right down to a very sunburned blonde guy in overalls and a straw hat. But talk to the guy and he speaks very Mexican Spanish - and whatever German dialect all those Mexican Mennonites speak. It was about as weird as it gets :mrgreen:

I'm going to bed, got burned to a crisp today....
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It IS a real strange experience when you encounter one of those Mennonites.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Now I'm getting all sick to be on the road in New Mexico again. It is truly the land of enchantment.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

I thought the green chile cheeseburger at the Owl Bar was good, but not exceptional.

The Milagro Beanfield War was filmed mainly in and near Truchas along the High Road from Santa Fe to Taos. Parts of the movie were also filmed in Espanola, Las Alamos, and Santa Fe, along with Santa Fe National Forest. If you ever get the chance take the High Road, mostly New Mexico 75 and a bit of NM 76 and NM 518. You'll find many neat little towns like Truchas, Chimayo, Cordova, and Las Trampas.

And when you're in Taos try Doc Martin's restaurant at the Taos Inn for great New Mexican food and Eske's Brew Pub for their green chile beer!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Angel Romero played the Solo guitar parts in the Milagro film. He was a regular customer at the old guitar shop I was at for some years. He was just testing out a repair on a guitar one day by my repair bench and I stopped to listen for a moment and was moved to tears by his playing, he is an absolute master, as are his brothers.
As for the green chiles, count me in.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Red, is Chimayo the town where the Penitentes walk on their knees for the healing dirt, or do I have my observances all mixed up? The lattice French fries at Doc Martin's are to die for.

Octagon, I will look up Angel Romero.

Omigosh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ciir5unOJo
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Bill,

Yes, the Santuario de Chimayo in the town of Chimayo is the church with the blessed dirt that attracts the afflicted, and this area of New Mexico is known for its Penitentes. But the town of Truchas is associated more with Penitentes. I've never heard of them walking on their knees for the healing dirt at Chimayo, but I have no reason to doubt that.

The area is also famous for woven blankets and Chimayo red flake chile. Great stuff!

A great book dealing with this area and others in the four corners region is Journey to the High Southwest by Robert L. Casey. It's a traveler's guide that is also filled with history of region as well as the geography and geology. I think it's now in its eight edition.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Cimarron Red wrote: ..... And when you're in Taos try Doc Martin's restaurant at the Taos Inn for great New Mexican food and Eske's Brew Pub for their green chile beer!
Some great choices for dining in Taos for sure. Yet no stay in Taos is complete without taking in breakfast at Michaels Kitchen, Been there for decades and is a local's favorite. Was mine when living there back in the late 70's and still today. Saturday morning was always "breakfast at Michaels's", ...and his huge, warm cinnamon rolls were my favorite menu item. Sitting before the crackling fireplace on a snowy day, enjoying the company of friends before starting the day's activities, is a favored memory among all the good times we had while living there.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

Hey, I'm from Magdalena. I went to high school there and my brother is running the ranch down there.

Magdalena Cafe is the best place to get a green chile cheeseburger. It's on main street across from the cop shop. I'm not sure how good they are because I have to eat special (hippie) food, but you could stop in there and find out. Evett's cafe was the best, but they closed down. They had awesome milk shakes there.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

92&94 wrote:What was the name of the place that serves a good green chile burger?

We've yet to exhaust dining options in Socorro, but I expect that is coming soon :mrgreen:
The name of the place in Magdalena is the Magdalena Cafe. Try the Magdalena Burger; Double meat, cheese and green chili. :wink: Note that the MC is open from 5 - 7PM Thursday and Friday. Breakfast and lunch only on other days.....

In San Antonio, the best green chili burger is to be had at The Buckhorn Bar, just down the street from the Owl Bar. If you go to the Buckhorn, don't expect fast food - just great food. Place is usually packed, so try to dodge the peak dinning hours. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Thanks for the info Grizzly Adams, that is what I was looking for.

This bunch I'm working with hardly seems to get into gear before 8 am, and hardly any work gets done before lunch, so we're passing through town at 8 pm most nights. I did come through at lunch time yesterday, I may plan on a burger stop next time that happens :mrgreen: