My Shootin' Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

My Shootin' Day

Post by Griff »

BTW, before I start... no pictures... just yet... (explanation will follow).

I left the house Thursday nite to come up into OR... I'd found a "Wild Bunch" match to be held today outside Caldwell, ID that could work, if the stars were all aligned right. So, I loaded up 1897 Trench gun, 1873 Uberti rifle, and 1911... along with sufficient and compatible ammo... and got all of 19 miles down the road... brakes faded and failed. 3 hours later, they were temporarily fixed... but would have to get redone in Amarillo, where parts were located. So, @ 2am I headed off to Amarillo. Normally I could be there by 7 or 8 am. Not that night! Finally rolled into Armadillo town about 1300hrs on Friday afternoon. 3 hours later, new parts installed and I'm in the wind. 1,000 miles to go, by 0900 Sunday.

All is well, hit WY and realize that my 134th 15,000 mile oil change was due at the stateline. Oh well, maybe Rawlins can get 'er done. Yep, a shower, breakfast, lube and oil change later, I'm rolling again on Saturday afternoon! 190 miles later... KAPOW!!!! what was that... oh, look... rubber is getting spit out the sides of my trailer like I'd struck a rubber well! Phew, it's a trailer tire, the company has to pay for it... Yep, 3 hours sitting on the side of the road waiting for the repair guy!

Yeehaw! I roll into Caldwell, ID about 0330, with the match due to start at 1100 hrs my time... Time to give my pillow my head! ARRRGGHHH! WHAT's that NOISE!!! Turn it off, please! Wait, shooting match, breakfast... 30 minutes drive to parking spot, 30 minute hike to range (unless I can snag a ride)! OK, crawl out of bed. Dressed in cowboy gear... find restaurant... Breakfast is excellent at the Sage Travel Center in Caldwell, ID.

Find range... check time... 0845, worker's due to arrive at 0900 to start setting up for match... Get gear, make like I'm 22 again and start the hike to mile up to the range... Yep, you read that right, UP! Ok, you strap on a gunbelt, drop in 1911, pick up cased long-guns and a 45cal ammo can full of ammo, 30 rounds of 12 guage on your gunbelt and a separate shotshell belt... start your hike at 2497', and stop at 2599'. 1.4 miles later... several rest stops, and nary a soul had passed me... Oh, did I mention that it started sprinkling about the time I unloaded my gear from the truck? Got about 100 yards, and remembered I forgot my ear protection? While back at the truck, I check the computer for any messages... drats, no signal... no internet!

Back on the hike. I stopped for a rest about ¾ of way there, and remember thinkin', "...dummy, your phone's in the truck... your license and id are all in the truck... you're on a private road, carrying ammo, 3 firearms and no id! What'd happen if you had a heart attack? You're a couple miles out of town, think a few shots in the air are going to be sufficient?"

Oh well, no attack, no stroke, oh, but did I mention that about a ¼ of the way there it started to RAIN! Does a loose fittin' Levi jacket constitute cover for a sidearm? Who would care that it's unloaded, all the ammo and magazines are in the closed, sealed can in your left hand, being carried by the handle? Hey, did I tell you about the temp? All of 56ºF.

Well, carrying about 35 lbs of gear, 50 lbs of unnecessary flab... and my years like lead cowboy boots... I arrive at the gate. Closed, locked, not a soul stirring. Gaze off down the dirt road I just walked (trudged be more like it, just falling forward if the truth be known)! Not a whiff of dust. Wait out the hour, decide that I alone, did not get the word that Idahoans melt in the rain... match cancelled.

Oh my good Lord, please let me make it back to my truck without incident! Viola! The Lord answers prayers. But when they're selfish, he exacts a price! The dogs are a'barkin'! Did you know that walking downhill is harder on the calves than walkin' up!? I fire up the computer from it's sleep mode... look again at the schedule... Yep, I had my facts right:
May 26 -Wild Bunch Match on the upper range. Registration at 10:00am and the match start at 10:30am until 2:00pm.
Look at watch... 1000 hours. It was a match of ONE! I declared myself the winner and treated myself to another hike around the Wal-Mart in Caldwell... shop til ya drop Dude!

Found some of my favored, non-caffienated, diet soda, a new book, a coupla Hawaiian shirts (Ji would be proud!), did not succumb to any food goods not on my new (started Friday), no-carbohydrate diet! Yea, my shoulder hurts from pattin' myself on the back!

Stumble, if calves cramping up, bad knee (3 operations spanning 45 years if you round up a couple of months) wantin' to wander in directions the rest of me is not pointed... I arrive back at my truck. Load new loot in side. Get in driver's seat... check computer! LOOK! Internet service! Connect, check email and forum... Oh, my... an email came in an hour & ½ earlier... from match director... "We're starting at 11am today, rain delay! Call me and I'll give ya lift out to the range..." yada, yada, yada... Look at watch... 11:20. calculate drive time, etc... oh well... after the hike, I'd be lucky to lift my 1911, let alone shoot it!

So, that's my holiday. How was yours?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Shootin' Day

Post by 20cows »

At least you got some quality exercise. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

20cows wrote:At least you got some quality exercise. :lol:
You are SO right. Be glad you're far away; and, you didn't say that immediately after I'd hiked up that hill and back!
If I can move tomorrow, I might get started on losing the 50 lbs of flab! Might speed up the effects of the diet!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that was a good tale and I'm plumb worn out just trying to keep up with ya :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

griff wrote So, that's my holiday. How was yours?
Dang Griff, looks like you had a blast. Stop whining....you could have blown a trans or the gears in the rear of the KW could have got themselves all tangled up. Or during that hike back down, you could have tripped over a rock, took a tumble, and smacked your head and when you finally got down to where your truck WAS, only to find an oil spot that the Caterpillar left along with the footprints of a dozen Mexicans gleefully finding a new home. :D

Oh, my day? Rough! Got up at 10, after going to bed at the 10 the night before. Made my way to the coffee machine and mom had sausage and potatoes on the stove. Filled my gut, then loaded 100 rds of 06. Talked to Gunny on the phone and we made plans to hit the club tomorrow so
most I had to do today was pack up about 500 rds of ammo and a half dozen military rifles, as tomorrow we celebrate Memorial Day by shooting military guns. Got the Garand, 03A3, M1A, 1911 Colt and a SA Colt all good to go. Think I'll bring the Uzi too. :D -------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Lordy! I'd be one disgruntled hombre. Glad you didn't have an infarction on the hike! :D
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Most of us would have trouble being as organized as you and attending ANY shooting events while all over the nation and on the road like that. Too bad your effort and skills at that weren't rewarded with a good time shooting... :(

Hopefully the next time it will work out just right.

If you're ever in south-central Indiana, I know of a 100-yard range that's pretty much open 24/7; there's only one other shooter (me) there, so if you stop by, you're likely to get first-prize, too... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Great story, it was like I was there right behind yah, could feel the cold, rain, and pain. May the God Lord Bless you and give you a wonderful day.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Griff its dang rare for me to ever have a day or two work out that well for me :lol:

ollogger
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Griff, you should of stayed home and came over to my house. Son and I burned up 300 rnds through our EBR's Sunday. Heck I just rode my UTV out to the range, You could of just drove out there, even with all the rain we've had it's still not muddy. We kilt a bunch of clay pigeons.
Ricky

DWWC
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RKrodle wrote:Griff, you should of stayed home and came over to my house. Son and I burned up 300 rnds through our EBR's Sunday. Heck I just rode my UTV out to the range, You could of just drove out there, even with all the rain we've had it's still not muddy. We kilt a bunch of clay pigeons.
I'll be home next week. We'll get together... you gotta feel my new 1911A1. My son just finished an action job... slick, smooth and so far, dead nuts reliable with loads from 160 SWCs to 230 ball! In fact, it's so nice, I've got a 1912 pattern coming, should be here by then!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Griff wrote:
RKrodle wrote:Griff, you should of stayed home and came over to my house. Son and I burned up 300 rnds through our EBR's Sunday. Heck I just rode my UTV out to the range, You could of just drove out there, even with all the rain we've had it's still not muddy. We kilt a bunch of clay pigeons.
I'll be home next week. We'll get together... you gotta feel my new 1911A1. My son just finished an action job... slick, smooth and so far, dead nuts reliable with loads from 160 SWCs to 230 ball! In fact, it's so nice, I've got a 1912 pattern coming, should be here by then!
Sounds great but I'll be in the pan handle shooting P dogs!
Ricky

DWWC