gonna scope a 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

gonna scope a 94

Post by ollogger »

tonight about dusk I looked out & seen 2 coyotes bout 400yds out, so I grab my 243 in a
H&R Handy rifle, I waited till they lined up behind the corrals & took off closing the gap by
a few hundred yds. I get up there & seen nothing, its not flat ground so a yote can disappear
I watched a while & gave a rabbit call, well that worked real well, theres the 2 yotes & there
coming in, so there out there taking there sweet time, so I get this creepy feeling & look behind me
& theres 2 20yds away, of course they see me & take off & I get one shot with my 243 & its empty
& 4 fast running coyotes, yep I missed but it would have been fun to have a lever right then
I would have grabbed a 94 but the light was fading & I know its harder to see a sight
but im thinking its getting harder to hit a coyote with a scope also
so I don't know What do you think?

ollogger
Don McDowell

Re: gonna scope a 94

Post by Don McDowell »

I prefer my mini14 ranch rifle, or the blr 243 for night fightin coyotes. But the main drive behind trying the 30-30 ai in the Marlin was to see 1. If I liked the ai, and 2 if I didn't like the ai it wasn't like messing up a good gun or anything, and 3 if it did workout the ability to put a scope on it was there. Now I wish I would of done the 94 ae, as I really like the conversion.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

NO That's way too easy. Keep your 94 iron sighted and get a Marlin to scope. Don't you need and could always use another rifle? Or even a BLR. An older Savage 99 in 30/30 would be an even better option, could use pointy bullets for them yotes while they run across the prairie.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Don
I know I could have drained a high cap mag in no time tonight, a mini 14 has been a Idea
of mine for years, I took a scope off a 94 I bought once I may put it back on, they just look
goofy hanging out in the middle of no where

3 leg you have no idea how I long for my old 99 collection
just to mention a few 22-250 - 243 - 250-3000 oh heck ill even say 284 :cry:

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, the beauty of a scoped 94 :) But, what to you have to scope?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Scope a 94? How about curb finders, and pink, fuzzy dice on your Audi? :shock: :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

BlaineG wrote:Scope a 94? How about curb finders, and pink, fuzzy dice on your Audi? :shock: :o
Now come on Big B they don't look that bad. :P
Heck they even shoot half decent with one
of those appendages hanging on the side. :wink:

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You could always spray paint it flat black, put a scout scope on it, and call it Tacticool.. :mrgreen: :lol:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

BlaineG wrote:Scope a 94? How about curb finders, and pink, fuzzy dice on your Audi? :shock: :o

Blaine whats a Audi? a new EBR? Fuzzy dice? that's just more a coyote would see!!

OS its a late 70s 30-30, may put a 3x weaver on it, shoots a 180 cast Purfect

Casa, thanks for the help & the pix.

DON That would be as bad as Fuzzy dice
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Blaine whats a Audi? a new EBR? Fuzzy dice? that's just more a coyote would see!!

OS its a late 70s 30-30, may put a 3x weaver on it, shoots a 180 cast Purfect

Casa, thanks for the help & the pix.

DON That would be as bad as Fuzzy dice
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Oil logger, I have one scoped but it is an AE. I don't know how the offset works out and personally don't care for the scout scope set up but that is all personal taste. I like having the option of a scoped one. Handling is not a problem. I'll have to look for some fuzzy dice, color recommendations? Could I just use a head cover from one of my drivers. Btw, got a birdie on the way to golf with my jeep. It was a pigeon.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I see auto spell struck again :D

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Scoping a 94 is like having salsa made in New York City or a USofA flag made in China.

The slickest setup I saw (aside from the usual AR) was a Mini-14 (one of the new ones) with a scout scope.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

NEW YORK CITY :shock: Bold talk for a one eyed fat man. :)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Brad,
Your forgetting the perfect 200 yd gun--the 25-35 with 75 gr bullets traveling 2600. If you get 'em with that, Ms Boots can clip 'em with the 45.

If you like I can send the Uzi out to 'ya with a mess of 32 rd mags :D ------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`ve been thinking about scoping a Marlin but i hate carrying one that way.
Wish i`d been standing beside ya with my Bushy 223 and 30 rd mag. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Everyone has their opinion but for my self I could never shoot small 100yd groups with any bullet until I scoped my 94

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

See better - shoot better.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Imagine that, what a concept.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sixgun wrote:Brad,
Your forgetting the perfect 200 yd gun--the 25-35 with 75 gr bullets traveling 2600. If you get 'em with that, Ms Boots can clip 'em with the 45.

If you like I can send the Uzi out to 'ya with a mess of 32 rd mags :D ------Sixgun
Sixgun
If you wouldn't have sold Ms. Boots a pristine 25-35 I wouldn't be afraid to use it, Its your fault!!!
heck sometimes I forget the other one that's already beat up, Is that a hint I have to many?
Six is that uzi like a audi?

I think I like the example J35 has & OS Idea of see better shoot better

Hobie, don't much care for salsa no matter where its made
Pitchy If you was there & I had Jacks Uzi that would have been a party

Im still thinking bout this, but mean while I put a scope on a old Mod. 70 in a 270
that holds 6 rounds & its the smallest cal. bolt gun I have, besides you cant hurt it much anymore

ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:See better - shoot better.
That's a fact :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Well................. I know for a fact (because I've done a few), that a (one, half of a set of 2) small/short Weaver scope mount base for a BAR can be attached to the rear half of the top of any top-ejecting Winchester Model 94 bolt ( via d/t two 6-48 screw holes there ), and a very small reflex-type red dot sight mounted there (Dr.Optic, Leupold & many others) - which for all intents & purposes act like a no magnification scope.

The sight, of course, travels with the bolt during levering/cycling.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

As an advocate of high magnification FIXED power scopes on my long range bolt guns,
I am also an advocate of low powered FIXED power long eye relief. forward mounted scopes on certain rifles.
But I got paid to shoot scoped rifles and pistols for 5 years, I am sure my views are affected by that experience.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Old Savage wrote:See better - shoot better.
I shoot about the same sized groups with scope or iron sights, BUT that assumes optimum conditions. Scopes are better for low light and that's what I use them for.

I was offered a friend's rifle to shoot a few, and he had a scope set to 9x and the target range 200 meters. I was surprised to see the rams were quite blurry, due to the fact that the scope was focused at 100 yards. This doesn't show up much at 3x, which where my scopes stop.

I had the same trouble using a 4x at the indoor range (45 ft). A blurry target is no fun. If I was going to shoot a long way off I would get a scope with an adjustable objective so it can focus on any target. I did get one for the indoor range and I was picking off 1/4" dots on the first shot most of the time.

I've only fired two shots at game with a scope, I missed a running coyote and hit a small pig (not with the same shot). I saw them with great clarity. The scope was set at 1.5x which I like better than any other settings. Things look and feel natural, but the slight magnification dramatizes the subject just a little bit.

I have taken a deer and several birds with iron sights, and it's somewhat distracting to make everything line up, and you have to deal with a cluttered view. It takes time and it adds stress. Shooting with a scope is a nicer experience.

Carrying the rifle is NOT a nicer experience, however. I have the habit of laying the rifle on my feet when I stop to rest. Scoped rifles roll right over into the dirt. Same if I lean it against something. When climbing, a slinged, scoped rifle has a will of its own. If I don't expect to shoot, or expect a rough trip, I generally remove the scope.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good point, dramatizes the subject - I would add, draws attention.

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Keep the 94 scopeless and get an old steel framed BLR .308 WCF with a 4X scope. Now you got the best of both worlds :wink:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Well I just cant take a good rec. sight off the 94 to put a scope on it
the beat up old 270 made in 48 has a lyman all weather 6x scope on it
I did have to take a old lyman rec. sight off it
90 gr, hp at 3200 fps shoots bout 1 in. at 100 yd & if I do my part it will do the job
But as I get older the coyotes get smaller, a lot faster & a lot more room around them!!!!

yep a BLR would be nice

ollogger
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have a 1968 M94 that I will probably scope this year; I have the Wild West base and Weaver Classic K4 Scout, just haven't had a bit of free time to drill and tap it.

I see a lot of utility in scout setups out here on the ranch, addressing the hunting and shooting situations I meet living in the South Texas brush. My line up of Rossi Scouts have demonstrated the utility of this type of rifle to me. Between my R92s chambered in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and 480 Ruger, I took 68 big game animals last year on my place. The Weaver Classic K4 Scout is used on all of them. The hogs I shot with them were anywhere from 4 yards out to 197 yards, really doesn't make a difference looking through a scout scope. Most of the hogs were shot at night, with only ambient moonlight available. Not an issue with good optics. I tried to kill a hog that was out in the open during the full moon with an open sighted R92 chambered in 357 Mag but missed it at only 5 yards, my dad is still LHAO. When I missed, that hog chased me all the way back across that opening. In the process, I stepped directly on a fawn hiding in the grass. It squalled like critter from out of space only adding to the situation. I was actually glad to hear the noise as at foot contact I thought I had made contact with a big ole' South Texas Rattler out hunting rats in the grass.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

In todays world of complicated antler restrictions,
a scope is a big help.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Bottom line............
Meat in the freezer 8)
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sadly I must admit that scoping a run of the mill 94 is no big deal to me. I also think bolt guns are abominations suited to trench warfare but sad sporting rifles, a few may disagree with that. I would d&t a pre-64 for a receiver sight or sell it. I would consider a nice used 336 for a scope. My 444 was sure some handy with a scope!

I would rather carry a 94 than any Ruger 14 or AR style rifle. Browning BLR in 223 or 243 would be real good dedicated varmint guns if you want to spend the money. Me, I would scope that baby and go out coyote gunning and be tickled. My current varmint guns are a 22 Hornet Handi and a long barreled Winoku 32-20.

Paco writes about clipping light weightbullets for varmint use in the 30-30 and my 32 Special might try that some day. He talks about coyotes to 300 and 400 yards, sounds like a scoped gun to me.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3030varmint.htm
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

casastahle wrote:In todays world of complicated antler restrictions,
a scope is a big help.
Good point! I hunt PA. with the idiot antler restrictions :cry:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ranch Dog

that's a good story bout the fawn & the pig, and even a better story of the whys of a
scope on a lever gun, thanks much

Canuck Bob
When it comes down to packing a gun, Ill pick a lever gun any time over a bolt gun
so it just hit me like a rock, put the scope on the 94, dawn - dusk or high noon it will work
that 94 stays in the pickup most of the time so the rest of the heard wont see the out cast
much anyway HEY GUYS THANKS FOR SOME GOOD REAL LIFE ADVICE

Ollogger

Blaine you can keep your fuzzy dice :lol:
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Fast and accurate You can make the mount by finding a base that fits the profile of the barrel. Buy a Williams Dove Tail Blank and drill the hole out and tap it to a 6/48. (it comes with a hole drilled and a set screw but I think the larger 6/48 is a better screw for it) If it is a older Winchester and you do not want to drill any original parts get a barrel band and drill and tap the top of it. Mill or file the back of the base to mate up to the dove tail blank. Mill or file the front to fit over the barrel band and screw it down and your all set. Easy to reverse back to stock and if you leave the mount on and have a rear mounted peep sight you can still use it if you take off the scope or dot sight. Since there is only two screws holding it might be better if you use a compact pistol scope on it or the dot sight. But the barrel band if you mill the scope base just tight enough to fit it keeps the mount from moving back and forth.

A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The versatility of a side mounted 94 is still being able to see & use the iron sights.

Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

The M94 I'm going to scout has actually had the B-Square side mount and a Bushnell Banner 4X32 on it it's entire life. Here is my Dad with a Texas speed-goat.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

It comes down to one fact. I treasure working guns and levers. Benching a rifle because I need or want a scope is not in the equation for me. Personally my 32 Special 94 will not be scoped but I think it was drilled for the Lyman peep but I'm not sure, early 50s. It is the ideal woods loafer deer rifle and totally tactical in a WW2 fashion, walnut and steel with a CQ peep. My range might be 100 paces though. If I return to big game hunting my 444 will be mated with a low power scope I suspect. That is one of the outstanding bush rifles ever made and with that scope it is a deadly workhorse for this geezer.

Nice pronghorn and that is exciting to see someone using a 94 for antelope hunting. Something you sure don't hear enough, my antelope rifle is a Winchester 94. Makes a statement for a coyote rifle.
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Canuck Bob wrote:Nice pronghorn and that is exciting to see someone using a 94 for antelope hunting. Something you sure don't hear enough, my antelope rifle is a Winchester 94. Makes a statement for a coyote rifle.
Yeah, my dad is one of those "single" rifle fellows, he has never seen the need for more than one. Speaking of coyotes, he has shot plenty with the rifle. He will kill a hog and then sit on it, I think he killed four coyotes coming to this hog in the course of an afternoon.

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ranch Dog I think your Dad is a wise man, One man one gun
I know my life would be easier if I would thin out a few
But I did the right thing by putting the scope on, shoots great im real happy I did it
JH that mount you made looks like a great Idea for another one of my 94s

Casa Nice looking set up you have, had a 3x micro trac with the TV screen one time, thought
I still had it, but cant find it , Dang

Wish I could take pixs like some of you guys, till then you'll just have the story

ollogger
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks logger,
I do love that little scope.
If I was smart I'd try find another one or two.
:)
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

casastahle wrote:In todays world of complicated antler restrictions,
a scope is a big help.

That's what made me decide to scope several Marlin's. (That,and the fact that my eyes ain't what they used to be) We have a 3 point rule and early morning and late evening in the thickets I hunt it can be hard to tell sometimes, A 1x4 scope really brightens things up though.

Yesterday I picked up a pair of 1894CL's in .218 Bee and .32-20 that already have Weaver bases on them. I know the little Bee cartridge works good on Coyote and fox and I think the .32-20 will too. They are going to topped with 1.5-4.5 Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scopes.
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

SmokeEater2 wrote: Yesterday I picked up a pair of 1894CL's in .218 Bee and .32-20 that already have Weaver bases on them. I know the little Bee cartridge works good on Coyote and fox and I think the .32-20 will too. They are going to topped with 1.5-4.5 Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scopes.
Great find! I have both plus the 25-20 Win chambered CL as well all scoped with the same some you plan to use. Great varmint cartridges!