An odd question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

An odd question

Post by Streetstar »

I have been a member of this site for a few years now, and don't expect that to change ------ but as I was messing around today with my critters at home and just enjoying life all the way around -- an odd thought occurred to me

I have turned into an animal pacifist over the last few years --- I don't particularly enjoy hunting anymore unless it would be to put meat on someone's table , I genuinely get a kick out of just watching animals do their thing -- whether it is a deer crossing my path while I am on my mountain bike, or taking care of my elderly mother's modest collection of ducks and my brother's horse --- I even swerve to miss turtles in the road and empathize with the plight of the poor skunk somewhat (they can only see 30-40 feet in front of them )-- basically 1 or 2 steps away from joining the Sierra Club it seems some days !

I think possibly something like a pest eradication hunt or a hog hunt might turn me around but who knows

I have quite a few rifles I would designate as "hunting only" hardware --- mostly bolt guns and long barreled shotguns in various calibers. --I mean, what the heck is a bird watcher going to do with an 8 lb 300 Magnum with a pencil barrel and a pretty wood stock ?
My collection of semi-auto military type stuff can be lumped in with the range rifles also

I am contemplating selling out -- not for the money, but because I would almost rather these nice items go to someone who would use them than to my relatives later on who would do who knows what

Leverguns aren't going anywhere though , and I look forward to adding to the lever collection! but the bolt guns, semis, and shotguns may have to worry a bit about their place in the safe
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: An odd question

Post by Blaine »

You have to follow your heart.....I only hunt these days out of habit, and because I enjoy being out....I'm so stoved up I can't do it right anymore....I sure like the taste of elk, and bear though....Deer makes good sausage, and pepperoni :wink: Someday when I need the money, I'll have a bunch of guns to sell, and still have enough to play and hunt with....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Since I often feel the same, I am far from feeling critical. But, the Sierra Club can kiss my axle! Those fascists have no shame in the lies and such they will pass off as truth in order to further their anti-gun/hunting/any-form-of-transportation-other-than-by-foot agendas. Although, I only have 2 bolt guns, neither is in any danger of leaving the safe anytime soon... they have "other" usefule purposes...

Any guns I want to go somewhere besides my son, will be so designated in my last wishes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Streetstar wrote:basically 1 or 2 steps away from joining the Sierra Club it seems some days !
Watch that first step, it's a doozey!
Guns can be a pretty good way to store wealth. They certainly have not lost value over the past few decades. I do not see that changing. Your choice. If it were me and I sold them, I'd spend the money on some sweet antique shooters and ammo.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Nothing wrong with having a heart for critters. I had some.deer in IN that I could/would hand feed

But as has been said, that's quite a different thing from being an Anti Hunting Animal "Rights" fascist that thinks hunting should be outlawd and hunters harrassed & arrested... which is where the Sierra Club/Humane Society path heads.

I prefer to Hunt when I can because it gets me closer to nature, not further from it... as factory meat does.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

My father hunted alot when he was growing up. He even made his living for a couple of years hunting jack rabbits for the bounty during the depression. When he got older he didn't really hunt at all, although he did go to deer camp ever year, he would just hang out at camp, do chores and such. He did encourage us boys to hunt, and was not anti hunting.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Let's face it nature is beautiful. I still remember the first time I saw a wood duck swim. The colors looked electric they were so bright and vivid.
Everyone enjoys nature in their own way. The problem I see with the Sierra club, IMHO they are a bunch of elitist snobs. The state opened a new state park about 12 miles from my house. I know one of the ranger there pretty well. He was telling me of how money shortages have hurt them from the start and how they are slow getting all the things going that they eventually want to have up and running. I asked him why they didn't get the Sierra Club involved to help. He said they didn't want to help because this wasn't pristine virgin land. It is land that was once a phosphate mine that has been reclaimed. I thought that was pretty lame.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have not hunted in over 30 years.
I still enjoy shooting my guns & bows.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sorry -- I should have added a smiley or something about my Sierra Club remark --- I was not being literal :lol:

Those folks have been longtime enemies of other sports I love, such as off-road motorcycle racing and to a lesser extent, mountain biking as well. They believe that trails should only be available to their kind for backpacking and the like.

I would also venture a guess that the pollution signature of all the off-road races in 2013 combined nationally would still be less than just one day of LA or NYC traffic

------- if I start selling things off, rest assured I will post items here first :)
----- Doug
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Hunting and shooting sports are oftimes handed down to us by our father and grandfathers, many times a left-over or tradition of skills and woodcraft borne of necessity from a time gone by.

I do not find it unusal that any man who has spent time in the out of doors would find wonder in nature or an appreciation, if not respect, for our fellow creatues and the grand machination of this world we live upon.

A fellow would have to made of stone to have no appreciation for the beauty of G_d's green earth and the wonders upon it.

... or at least cast in stone from the nose up... :lol:

Taking an animal is a choice. The choice is determined by the logic of the hunt or the necessity of the moment.

:)

I was gonna start with "Maybe you're getting old."

But then I'd have to admit that maybe I am too.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

My Dad wasn't a hunter so any hunting I ever did was me stumbling around on my own screwing up out in nature. I liked it at the time, but at my age I'm not going hunting any time soon because I have not developed the habit so I didn't pass it on to my sons. (Rabbits and other pests around the hacienda with airguns notwithstanding.) I am pro-hunter BIG TIME!! I just don't hunt. Leaves more for you guys who do. :wink: That said, I would actually like to try hog hunting. Nothing pretty about them and they're not even supposed to be out there in the first place, so I'd thoroughly enjoy busting them critters down into bacon and chops.

Additional thought: Something about a deer. I see them every few weeks at my new place and they're just so doggone majestic and beautiful I don't think I could shoot one. Just me talkin'! Y'all who do hunt 'em have a ball doing it - I have nothing but respect. And, I'll eat farm raised elk all day long. :lol:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

FWiedner wrote:Hunting and shooting sports are ofttimes handed down to us by our father and grandfathers, many times a left-over or tradition of skills and woodcraft borne of necessity from a time gone by.

I do not find it unusual that any man who has spent time in the out of doors would find wonder in nature or an appreciation, if not respect, for our fellow creatures and the grand machination of this world we live upon.

A fellow would have to made of stone to have no appreciation for the beauty of G_d's green earth and the wonders upon it.

... or at least cast in stone from the nose up... :lol:

Taking an animal is a choice. The choice is determined by the logic of the hunt or the necessity of the moment.

:)

I was gonna start with "Maybe you're getting old."

But then I'd have to admit that maybe I am too.

:lol:
A big + 1, I couldn't have put it better.. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Streetstar wrote:I have been a member of this site for a few years now, and don't expect that to change ------ but as I was messing around today with my critters at home and just enjoying life all the way around -- an odd thought occurred to me

I have turned into an animal pacifist over the last few years --- I don't particularly enjoy hunting anymore unless it would be to put meat on someone's table , I genuinely get a kick out of just watching animals do their thing -- whether it is a deer crossing my path while I am on my mountain bike, or taking care of my elderly mother's modest collection of ducks and my brother's horse --- I even swerve to miss turtles in the road and empathize with the plight of the poor skunk somewhat (they can only see 30-40 feet in front of them )-- basically 1 or 2 steps away from joining the Sierra Club it seems some days !

I think possibly something like a pest eradication hunt or a hog hunt might turn me around but who knows

I have quite a few rifles I would designate as "hunting only" hardware --- mostly bolt guns and long barreled shotguns in various calibers. --I mean, what the heck is a bird watcher going to do with an 8 lb 300 Magnum with a pencil barrel and a pretty wood stock ?
My collection of semi-auto military type stuff can be lumped in with the range rifles also

I am contemplating selling out -- not for the money, but because I would almost rather these nice items go to someone who would use them than to my relatives later on who would do who knows what

Leverguns aren't going anywhere though , and I look forward to adding to the lever collection! but the bolt guns, semis, and shotguns may have to worry a bit about their place in the safe
:lol: :D
Brother----Honest to God-------------------this weekend I was going to put a similar topic on here(but thought, better not you guys will all razz me :lol: )

First off-----------------I for sure think as we age(we tend to think different)what we once thought(its the kill/killing just some poor critter)proving "we are men" :roll: that combined with extra loads of testosterone----makes one's mind skewed.
Now since you started this thread--------how bout last two years we have this rabbit-----its wild----it has it's babies under my Yamaha Dump cart with is located inside our 10x40ft Dog Run(which we never use)cause our dogs be spoiled (how dare we put them in there)

But, until baby bunnies move out to the brush piles(edge of woods)I tell Charlie (you leave them baby buns/momma alone)
I throw the momma a large carrot and a half apple each day. Under my high barn shed lives Woody(my woodchuck buddy)when I whistle he comes out and gets a banana. Man is he ever fat (and cute)!

Our dogs-----they are treated (like children)-----I mean it is sickening :lol:
Guys that put in our wood floors last year (said,man you have tons of squirrels---you should kill them all)all 6 guys felt same way.
I thought they were nuts?????

Bottom line------I do love shooting/hunting some things(like big bucks)I am very fussy now(if it ain't a wall hanger)even then I can't say for sure(might let it live)?? its just being out there(in it all)----------the killing part------(that's the least best part)
I will say I have also somewhat ----------------------chilled some.
Now if its a bird(that no matter what is he## bent on destroying out Anderson windows/chipmunks wanting to take over our home---then???

Snakes-------and I mean living all over our creek rock I laid up (as landscaping)all around/tight up against our basement walls---drives the wife nuts------------on average I have 5-10 snakes out(this time of year)in fact today while taking my Lab out (stepped out patio door turned and looked and he had a 3ft long snake shed in his mouth. As long as they are not poisonous(I like them)Wife hates them.
Most are Milk/Garter/Spotted Adders etc. Though we do have the occasional copperhead/yellow timber rattler.(so far none at house)

Nuts????-----nope!-----You are just getting older and love living life more an more (thus loving the creatures wanting to do the same)

Peace Brother-----its all good! :wink: (you are right on track)

Now-----rude wise a## punks wanting to be rude to wife/daughter/dogs/heck even me-------------I straighten them out pretty quick!
Resort back quickly to feelings of years past!
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oly,
I don't know about the bacon, I have it in my head that wild pigs do not have bacon as we know it.
I do not know why I think that, got in my head somehow.
Read a post on this forum about some guys that shot a wild boar in Florida, and they buried it in loose sand, when I asked why; he responded that older males were basiclly inedible.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I agree - Some of the most enjoyable moments spent during my hunting trips over the past 45-50 years have been those spent watching the antics of various critters during the sometimes long waiting times spent in/on deer stands.

Everything from watching an eagle strike & eat a squill across a small clearing in front of me, to an adult Patridge teaching her youngin's how to roll/hide under fallen leaves when danger was heard from above.

It was education seldom, if ever, found in any classroom - and I look at it as time well spent, even if I didn't fill a deer tag that time out.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar,
It shows you have a good heart. :D

I was always known in these parts as "the guy who gets a deer every year" at a time when at best it was 10-1 odds. I've killed a truckload of deer, squirrels, pheasants, whatever.

I killed my last deer in Nov. of 95. By then I was using 44 Spl. S&W's as rifles were a joke. Then I visited (1996) a local apple orchard and they had a pet deer. You could walk up and play with it. Then I realized that it was MAN that has put fear into animals. Have not killed a deer since.

Its OK if you need the meat or even enjoy the meat. I don't care for it anymore. Hunting is a GOOD thing, especially for the wellness of the herd.

Like you, we are animal lovers, having dogs, cats, and horses. Out back we have deer, foxes, geese, ducks, etc. and I don't shoot nothing anymore nor will I allow anyone else to do it. Its like I have become a "protector" of sorts. Civilization also has a lot to do with it as most people can afford to buy meat.

Everyone is different. My dad killed deer right up until he died at 79. He and his family lived on wild game growing up in the mountains of Pa. One buddy of mine can't kill enough and he is 72. I had enough at 41, so its been 17 years since I harvested a deer. I have killed a dozen or so foxes since then and a few diseased cats, but for the most part, its "live and let live".

Like Hollywood celebrities, we buy chicken and beef that come from plants. :D (I just had to throw that in)

As far as guns are concerned, I can't get enough, shooting and competing every chance I get, letting at least 8 to 10 K centerfire rounds off a year. Don't sell your guns because you don't hunt. Shooting is a very relaxing pastime, plus, it might save your life one day.

I still hunt elk out West but that's another story.

I think more of animals than I do of people and you most likely do also.-------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Recently I was reading a book published in the 1960s, Varmint Hunting Guns and Strategies, but became disgusted when the topic of Crow hunting/shooting was broached (which I know used to be considered a worthy "sport") .... the part that got me was that the "fun" was measured by the kill count in going for record or the duration of time elapsed the killing went on before the birds quit flying... the author stating that counts as high as 500-600 crows had been achieved using his proven strategies...developed over year in and year out shooting of crows... I certainly don't want a gang of noisey crows living around me, or if I was a farmer having them eat up what was recently planted..
In my younger years crow shooting would have been fun for me... but now in my 66th year, I feel different about it, given what I've learned about these very intelligent creatures and my perspective on life.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think it is natural for one's compassion to increase and one's thirst for challenge (i.e. of the hunt) to be slaked, as we grow older. Like others have said, losing your urge to hunt doesn't make you an anti-hunting type.

The ones who get me though are the anti-hunters who still eat meat... like they think somehow that being shot in the head in a slaughterhouse chute is 'better' than shot in the chest while out living a more normal life vs. farm-animal life...??? Of course I suppose all the hue and cry that goes up from 'our' side when there is a 'canned hunt' is just as illogical - who are we to say it is wrong to shoot a caged or fenced animal, unless we refuse to ever eat farm-raised meat...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am also in a similar boat. I have found myself enjoying shooting a bunch and like having the ability to defend home and country. So even though I don't hunt much I enjoy my guns.

I've added flintlock and air guns to my hobby and will make sure my daughters are raised to shoot well, require them to get licensed and gift them a defense gun, respect hunting and trapping, and let them make their own political choices from a position of knowledge not hysteria.

I am quietly prepping to hunt this fall, maybe. The meat will go to a needy family. I really want to ambush a whitetail with my 32 Special, carry my 444 in black bear country, and try to hunt up a deer with my flintlock.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I know what you are saying. +1 :wink:

The sierra club ( don't deserve to be capitalized IMHO ) Can go to you know where. :x

I used to limit out every year on big game but haven`t even killed a Deer for 6-7 years.
I go hunting just to get out and last year I passed up a couple legal bucks. Heck killing one just turns a fun day into a day of work.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks to you guys for the replies that kinda' say i'm not that unusal --- Sixgun, i'm 41 now too! --LOL, -- maybe a coincidence, maybe not --- I think I also would love a horseback supported elk hunt sometime, whether I score or not. Horses, mules, saddlebags, campfires and a week on the mountain ---sounds like a grand 'ol time!

I will probably hold onto my hunting stuff for a little while longer --- I do not have an immediate need to sell, --I may find a legitimate use for them yet :D
----- Doug
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

A couple of decades ago, I took a friend elk hunting. He had never shot anything before, and I was at a time in my life when we relied on the game that I got in the fall to provide 90% of the meat that we ate. The first day of the hunt, my friend shot a very nice 5x6 bull. After the excitement of the hunt died down, he told me that he felt kind of bad about killing that bull because it was such a beautiful animal. I responded by saying that every time that I shot an animal, I felt a sadness that that creature had to give its life for me to feed my family, and that when I stopped feeling that regard for the life of the animal, I would stop hunting. I used to get a deer every year. Now I go out, but I really don't care if I get one or not. I love being in the woods, sneaking around, looking to watch anything that is going on. I get a lot more shots with my camera than with my gun these days, and enjoy hunting just as much as I ever did.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

steetstar,
redo the math.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Streetstar wrote:Thanks to you guys for the replies that kinda' say i'm not that unusal --- Sixgun, i'm 41 now too! --LOL, -- maybe a coincidence, maybe not --- I think I also would love a horseback supported elk hunt sometime, whether I score or not. Horses, mules, saddlebags, campfires and a week on the mountain ---sounds like a grand 'ol time!

I will probably hold onto my hunting stuff for a little while longer --- I do not have an immediate need to sell, --I may find a legitimate use for them yet :D
One of the reasons I am not a "trophy" hunter is that I cannot glory in the killing any more than a 4 legged predator can.

I hunt for meat, not glory... and "thrill kill" is as utterly beyond me as is shooting road signs.

I learned long ago that death is final, but is also a part of Living.

Humans are Predators... regardless of what the hippie cows think. (when they grow a rumen or rodentoid incisors and start chewing a cud/gnawing THEN, and ONLY then will they have a leg to stand on in regards to being "vegetarian"...)

Mayhaps a while in a Sweat Lodge will help you close the gap between your love of critters with your Primal Humanity...

And as a Bonus, anything you do that is "Native American" is totally PC... :wink: :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I haven't shot a pig since adopting Lucille, the desire to kill one not that strong anymore. Last year after a Sunday Bible meeting I came out to see several wild pigs on the adjacent lot which bordered a deep ravine that ran up the mountains. I had some apples so was able to feed a couple of them that were especially fearless. I was thinking how cute they were but know others were seeing a future lu'au. Hunting and shooting opportunities are pretty slim here on Oahu but if I were back on Maui I'm sure I'd be doing allot more hunting and shooting.

Lucille

Wild Piggies
ImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

First off, all hunts are pest eradication hunts for there's not one critter that walks the earth that won't become a pest without some sort of control. If we don't do it nature will and nature is much more cruel.

After that, I'm a hunter/predator/meat eater and make no bones about it. Not ashamed and never will be. It's somewhat nuts in a way. Three of the critters that I like to watch most, squirrels, coon and coyote, are also on the top of my hunting preference. But there it is, I find em neat yet when season is in I'll drop one in a heartbeat. To be honest though, hunting drive just isn't what it used to be for me either. Quality time has become more important than numbers and I'd rather try something new anymore than the same ol thing I've been doing for decades. I'd rather bag one crafty critter than 10 dumb ones. For those reasons I'm seriously thinkin of leaving ALL long guns at home this year. If I come home empty so be it, I won't starve.

Don't want to hunt, don't hunt. Pretty simple. I won't look down on you and doubt anyone else here will either.

As for the guns........ Unless you are wanting/needing the investment than I find little use to have extras around. I'm very fond of mine but in reality I won't keep an unused one around anymore than I keep any other unused tool around.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

They say men get mellow as they age and women get bossy.

I was wondering what my wife was doing carrying around a baseball bat with my name on it.-----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I was a what you could call obsessed when it came to hunting, trapping, or fishing
when the seasons were all closed id go into withdrawals, I always felt some remorse when I
killed a animal,I liked the meat & no game ever went to waste, I made sausage, bologna
canned it & dried it, in 92 I shot a huge Black Bear in Wisconsin, Something happened I cant
explain but I nearly wrapped my rifle around a tree,I said that's it im done
Well I talked my self outta that idea, I still hunt but nothing like I use to
like most others have said, Its the being out there that counts now
if I shoot now the fun stops

ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Age...........................................
We start to rever the sanctity of life as we approach our own mortality.
It is the ability of species homo-sapien to reason.