Need (Want) Another Hunting Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Need (Want) Another Hunting Rifle

Post by jkbrea »

I was in physical therapy for my right shoulder replacement. They say they are hesitant to recommend I shoot or hunt with a large caliber rifle, at least this fall. I go on an elk hunt in September and usually alternate between my Marlin 45-70 and a Tikka 30-06. Both have Limbsaver recoil pads. I would think that plus a slip on over the shoulder pad would greatly reduce any risk. I was planning on just using my Winchester 30-30 since most of the elk I've shot were between 30-100 yards. My other thought is to buy another rifle :P . I was looking at trying to find a Marlin .308MX, (hard to find). I think its plenty for a bull elk and looks to me like a perfect elk rifle. Do any of you have one or experiance with this round? How's recoil compared to a 30-30 or .308 Winchester?
Jim
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Re: Need (Want) Another Hunting Rifle

Post by barbarossa »

I would go with something like a 7mm08 plenty of power but light in the recoil dept.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Have you thought of going left handed? That way you save the shoulder also gives you an excuse to buy a left handed rifle :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

save your $ use your 30-30 Iam guessing the 308 marlin is like a 308 win. one thing you could also do to your 30-30 is put a dead mule recoil reducer in the but stock check with brownells they have different kinds shapes and sizes. danny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I was planning on just using my Winchester 30-30 since most of the elk I've shot were between 30-100 yards.
A tried and true option...!

Don't forget a 44 Magnum levergun as an option... 8)

Or if you want 45-70 level of power with even less recoil than a 30-30, get a 50 Beowulf self-loader... :wink:
(photo from hfcable's thread - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=48904)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If ya just have to get another rifle give some thought to a marlin 336 in 35 REM or possibly one in 375 WIN !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

A Marlin 336 factory chambered for the 375 WIN using hand loaded Rancg Dog 379-235GC bullets would be easy on the shoulder and hard on an elk inside 100 yards !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Oooh I like the 375 Winchester idea, plus it is a 'traditional' one, too...!

If you don't already have a 44 Mag levergun, of course... :wink:

My prettiest firearm ever is a 375:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

375 in a 94 doesn't hurt. a 444 in a 94 kicks like a mule on steroids.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW , a Marlin in 308 Express or 338 Express is gonna cost a nice piece of change now !

Since they quit making them seems the price has kinda crawled thru the roof !

Wish I still had the ones I had and could sell them again LOL's !

And with that being said I thought the 308 Marlin Express and the 338 Marlin Express had very little recoil with facotry loads .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As far as the 375 WIN is concerned I've messed with a pair of them in Marlin's (of course) .

The nicer of the pair was designated a jacketed bullet rifle and I pole axed a fat whitetail doe at about 125 yards with a handloaded Hornady 220 grain FN bullet . A year or two later I used the not as nice rifle with the no longer made Ranch Dog 379-210GC mold and a bullet I cast from wheelweights and pushed moderately with XMP5744 . This deer traveled maybe 30 yards after the shot . I suspect with a little more velocity ie more terminal shock he wouldn't have made it that far . If I were still casting and loading for the 375 WIN I suspect I would have moved to a more shall we say fast load using H322 , IMR8208 or something along those lines .

Incidently Ranch Dog brought out a second mold specifically for the 375 WIN the 379-235GC . That one shot very well in my cast bullet 375 , but I'm sorry to say I never tried it on a deer before I sold the two rifles .

All my 375 WIN bullets were aircooled wheelweights which worked perfectly for deer . For an elk with the same bullet I expect I would either water quench or perhaps go to Lyman #2 alloy for a somewhat harder bullet and perhaps slightly better penetration .

Here's a pic of a medium size 7 point buck I killed with the Marlin in 375 WIN shooting the Ranch Dog 370-210GC bullet !

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

With factory rounds I've found the .44 to kick more than a .30-30 in a levergun. I'm no recoil wimp, i've shot up to .416's without issue.

If recoil becomes an issue, a semiauto rifle with a muzzle brake may be worth looking into. Browning BAR if you're into the traditional look, or an AR-10 in .308.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I love my 444 but it does kick a bit. Push a 265 grainer hard and it will push back.

Up close the 30-30 will do the job but elk are sturdy beasts. I've never used them but the Nosler 30-30 Partitions have always interested me. In the future it sure would be a bragging hunt though. "I shot this elk with my gimpy shoulder and my 30-30. " PRICELESS.

Being a lefty shooting left isn't that hard. I learned to shoot right thinking I could get a nice bolt action. Then it dawned on me that there are no nice bolt actions (poking fun guys because I'm a lever fanatic!). Working my offside made me a better shooter I think. I had to refocus on marksmanship skills and spotted some bad habits on my strong side that I probably still have!
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

Try a Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage. It will do the job. Buy the 99R or 99RS, which will be a bit heavier, reducing felt recoil.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

How about just getting some reduced recoil ammo for your 30-06.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

harry wrote:How about just getting some reduced recoil ammo for your 30-06.
Ding, Ding, Ding 8) (Although, I don't feel like my old-style Ruger Bolt '06 kicks much with Green Box 180s)

My Marlin 1894 .44mag kicks like a SumBeach with full house loads. To me, way more than either of the 2 30wcfs I have....With my shoulder going T.U. over the last year, I may never shoot my 45-70s or .444 again :( The 12lb Sharps is an exception 8) My 1894 .44 mag will be like a lamb with my 300 grain handloads, just not much range past 100 yards or so....I have not shot the HandiRifle 25-06, but, I suspect that is a very pleasant rifle to shoot, and, people out here use them for elk....

Good Luck.....Getting Old Isn't For Sissys.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Why not go with a 44 MAG Ruger Super Blackhawk instead? Won't hurt your shoulder at all!

Good out to 100 yards easy if you have a steady rest...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I would just hunt with the 06.I wouldn't think one shot could do to much since you are hunting and not shooting.Possibly go
with a muzzlebreak or a shoulder brace or combo of the two.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

AJMD429 wrote:My prettiest firearm ever is a 375:
my prettiest is a 38-55, 375's older brother. :wink:
specialollie1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Thanks for all the advice. Before I buy another rifle I think I'll try one of those shoulder strap recoil pads coupled with the limbsaver already on my 45-70 and 30-06 and see how that feels. I'm just 8 weeks out of surgery so don't want to push it for a few months. My hunt isn't until late September

I will definately take JReeds advice and practice left handed until then. I'm actually left eye dominant but have always shot right. I did find a used 336 in 30-30 with a half mag. It looks old and had some honest wear but no big dings or scratches. It had some large diamond checkering on the wood I wasn't crazy about. They wanted $389 but I'll try to make a deal or trade a .22 rifle or two for it just because.
Last edited by jkbrea on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

If you need an excuse to buy another gun, and you can afford it why not? :wink:

What's your budget? I think BLR in 7mm-08 would be just the ticket. A stainless take-down version even better! :wink:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

From a leftie that's right eye dominant, the SMARTEST thing you can do is get used to shooting left handed, with which ever gun you plan to hunt.

First off it gives you the option of shooting game from any angle, and it will actually be a clearer shot since your left eye is dominant. You'll be surprised how fast you adapt.

A couple years back, I was sitting on a hillside watching a couple areas the mulies were known to cross. They are almost 180deg from each other. But i have shot both ways since childhood so am perfectly comfortable either way. Sure enough the buck popped up on my left side. In fact the rifle I was hunting with was my RH Savage 308. I switched the rifle to my right shoulder, lined up the cross hairs and bang, a 180yd shot and 50yds later dead deer.

Make the rifle fit YOU, not the other way around. I have adjusted mine so that when I place my cheek on the rest, my eye is perfectly aligned with the scope. I use a PADDED cheek rest for this, and well as my super soft recoil pad (this is on my Savage '06) and I swear the felt recoil is no more than my stock factory padded 243. just make sure there is good eye relief on the scope.

If you have to switch back to RH due to shot angle, a GOOD recoil pad will go a long way, and the one shot most likely won't be noticed.

Oh one more thing, practice chambering a round when shooting left handed. When I shoot a RH gun, but shoot LH, I tightly grip the pistol grip area, and work the bolt with my RH. i am almost as fast as when shooting a LH gun left handed. You will come off target a bit, but I cannot stay on target no matter which configuration I use. Plus recoil pops it up and off target as well. I do have to lift my head a little more than normal, but practice will mitigate that somewhat.

Otherwise, reload, and load down to about 80% of factory.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

How about a semi auto 30-06 browning or Remington? A La Rue or Sig 716 in 308 would be interesting, but not real traditional looking.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

An acquaintance has a '95 Winchester re-chambered/barrel for 6.5 X 55...sweetest shooting rifle I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. With 140gr bullets, almost no recoil and still slings them out the barrel at +2800 fps.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Old Time Hunter wrote:An acquaintance has a '95 Winchester re-chambered/barrel for 6.5 X 55...sweetest shooting rifle I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. With 140gr bullets, almost no recoil and still slings them out the barrel at +2800 fps.
+1

I have a 6.5x55 in a Mauser 98 conversion and it has very little perceived recoil. But a pad on it and it
will be even less. Plenty of satisfied Scandinavians have shot that caliber for over 100 years and it works well for elk and moose over there.

I also have a few in 9.3x62, again in 98 and 96 Mauser bolts. You can also find 9.3x57 out there also, but I would rather have the longer action 9.3x62 and download when reloading for less power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9.3%C3%9762mm

The 9.3x62 is up there in power without the heavy kick, it keeps pressure down to around 48,000(56,500 psi max) psi and that translates to a 270 grain at around 2500fps, and a pleasure to shoot.

Steve
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you want to keep using the .30-06 and don't reload you might try looking around for some of the factory "managed recoil" loads.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.