Crescent Buttstock or not???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Crescent Buttstock or not???

Post by Win94 »

my 1972 Win 94 has a crescent brass buttplate. I have found an unfinished walnut stock and buttplate. Should I change it to the regular buttstock and butt plate???

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Crescent Buttstock or not???

Post by FWiedner »

That's almost like asking whether you should be a Democrat or a Republican. :lol:

Depends on your shooting form and the position(s) you find most comfortable to shoot from.

Where do you prefer to place the busttstock when you shoot off-hand? Shoulder or upper arm?

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

On my shoulder. However I think it cheapens the look with that brass....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Here's my non-expert opinion on this. That's a dandy little carbine, and carbines came with four different buttplates over the years, a gentle curved "S" pattern, a flat steel, a flat checkered steel, and hard plastic, tho', they could be ordered with what the customer wanted.

Rifle configured m94s came with the curved steel buttplate in the shape of that brass one. A rifle configuration to me is one that had a forend cap, no bands, with the magazine held to the barrel with a dovetailed ring.

As a traditionalist, (inasfar as m94s are concerned), I like the looks of the two original buttplates the best.
Rifle:

and Carbine:

And yes, I do like pretty wood!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If you put it in your shoulder, my opinion is that you should go with a carbine or shotgun type buttstock.

The crescent butplates are designed to shoot from the upper arm just off the shoulder. Some folks complain about the discomfort from felt recoil resulting from the odd fit of crescent buttplates when they try to use them from the shoulder.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Shotgun-type/checkered steel myself. Because I shoot from the shoulder.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Win94 wrote:On my shoulder. However I think it cheapens the look with that brass....

If you learn how to shoulder it, the curved buttplate can be quite comfortable; however, it can punch you quite nastily if you rush it for a fast shot and get it in a slightly wrong spot on your shoulder. As for the brass, wipe it down with a moist patch dirty with blackpowder fouling and you will get a nice, subdued, aged patina in seconds.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I like a crescent butt plate just fine. My late 1970's Marlin 1895 has a somewhat modified crescent and my 1894 .32 WS rifle has the original Winchester crescent. Works OK for me, but then I also like my crescent butt plate muzzleloaders. Just takes a little different presentation/firing placement than the "shotgun" style plate.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I have a 1915? SRC. It's the best fitting,handling gun I own for quick shots in the brush. IF it fits you keep it.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I guess you can guess my opinion.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Go with checkered plastic - its early, haven't had coffee yet. :) That was traditional in 72'.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

I've always liked the fit of the crescent butt plate. But I've found that with a winter coat on, if I have to raise the gun quickly, the top edge of crescent sometimes gets snagged in my coat just before I get the rifle in place.

Then I have to extend my arms forward to free the gun of the gathered coat. You could easily loose the advantage in those three seconds.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

You can get stuff that will turn the brass black/brown, you could try that if you want to stick with the crescent look.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

FWiedner wrote:If you put it in your shoulder, my opinion is that you should go with a carbine or shotgun type buttstock.

The crescent butplates are designed to shoot from the upper arm just off the shoulder. Some folks complain about the discomfort from felt recoil resulting from the odd fit of crescent buttplates when they try to use them from the shoulder.

The photo below shows what FWiedner means when you use a crescent buttplate to shoot from the upper arm (which is the way I much prefer to shoot ..... I can't shoot worth a hoot from the shoulder .... to much contorting the neck).

Crescent Buttplate against upper arm:
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I love those crescent buttstocks, for me they are the most comfortable to shoot, the way Kirk shows :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I like the look of a crescent buttplate on a rifle and the shape of a buttplate has never bothered me either way as far as my shoulder can tell. I do prefer the shotgun style on a carbine.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

KirkD wrote:
FWiedner wrote:If you put it in your shoulder, my opinion is that you should go with a carbine or shotgun type buttstock.

The photo below shows what FWiedner means when you use a crescent buttplate to shoot from the upper arm (which is the way I much prefer to shoot ..... I can't shoot worth a hoot from the shoulder .... to much contorting the neck).

Crescent Buttplate against upper arm:
I'm sorry, but that looks like dislocation waiting to happen. :?
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

That bicep there will hold everything together! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

Won't I gain a bit on the length of pull when going to the shotgun style buttplate??
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Win94 wrote:Won't I gain a bit on the length of pull when going to the shotgun style buttplate??
Generally not, they are the same from the factory. Measure from the front face of the trigger to the rear of the buttplate, both centered vertically.

And, FWIW, I hold either stock in the same place, just inboard of the point of the shoulder, but I'm not a big fleshy guy.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My new Winoku 92 has the traditional crescent plate like you have. It is pretty but I don't like how slick it is with a warm coat on. I've actually considered chequering it but the finish and fit is very tight and pretty. The sharp lips also can catch clothing when snapping to the shoulder. I have learned to handle the rifle but was surprised by this as all my guns are factory working guns and I never used a crescent until this rifle.

My 94 has the steel plate with a slight curve, shotgun plate (?) I think some call it. For shooting it is a dandy but I'm getting wimpy enough to not want one on anything that kicks harder than a 32 Special.

I now consider how solid my plate locks up with my shoulder on any guns going forward as my first concern for purchasing or rebuilding personally.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

I think people who complain about crescent buttstocks are being a little overdramatic. When these rifles were made the average man weighed about 130-150 lbs dripping wet if that. Nowadays, I have yet to see very many of the population over the age of 12 this weight, present poster included. If they could shoot these guns with crescent stocks without dislocating their shoulders, surely someone at an average of 70-100 lbs more should have no problem. Remember, these guns were and are not shooting elephant gun loads. I think it is fair to state that the shotgun style buttstock became more popular when the heavier rifles like the 76 & 88 came on the scene.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Go with what you shoot well. I started with the shotgun style stock and have never gotten used to the crescent style. Should you find it comfortable, then don't change it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I started life with shotgun butts, and didn't have my first crescent butt until I was in my late 40's. What an improvement over the shotgun buttstocks! I especially like the crescent buttstocks for heavier recoiling rifles, as in a 45-70 shooting 400 grain bullets at 2,000 fps with a steel buttplate. The curved butt is a curved surface on a curved surface (my upper arm) which spreads the impact out over more of the contact surface making it nice and easy. The shotgun butt is a flat surface on a curved surface (my arm), which makes no sense at all from a comfort point of view. Also, the upper arm has more spring to it than my shoulder. I don't understand why the standard has not become the crescent buttstock, especially on the heavier hitting guns.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/