Are There Any REAL Gunsmiths Left?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
caltx01
Levergunner

Are There Any REAL Gunsmiths Left?

Post by caltx01 »

I have a Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum that was manufactured in 1971. It is one of my favorite rifles and I carry it with me to my farm regularly. Recently it has developed a problem. When I cycle the action I will occasionally have a cartridge release and go under the lifter. This causes a jam and I have to take the lever out to clear it.

I would like to get this problem fixed. Research indicates it can be one of a few things and all are repairable. So I started looking around in east Texas where I live for a good gunsmith to make this repair for me. To my dismay I have found that all the gun shops I have contacted either no longer have a gunsmith or their "smith" is only capable of placing high dollar accessories on AR rifles - not much more.

So I started asking around about reputable gunsmiths and have found again that none are interested in working on anything much more than 1911s or AR rifles.

I am willing to ship this rifle anywhere I need to in order to get it to a competent gunsmith who will repair it for me. Can anyone anywhere suggest a good gunsmith who is competent and willing to work on a Winchester 94?

Thanks very much for all advice and assistance.

Cal Barton
Tyler, Texas
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Are There Any REAL Gunsmiths Left?

Post by Mescalero »

Chuy's gun shop, El Paso, Texas.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Nate Kiowa Jones posts here regularly.

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

I know he specializes in Winchester 92 and clones, but it is hard to believe he doesn't know his way around a Winchester 94 either.

Good luck.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Try Steve first, but otherwise get in touch with Bobby Pitchford (www.pcgguns.com). He is the only gunsmith in TX that can handle complex, difficult or sensitive jobs. Many manufacturers use him for warranty and troubleshooting and Briley uses him for what they cannot or do not want to handle in-house. He has done a bunch of stuff for me and CRS used him for a troubled '92 that other gunsmiths could not get right.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

junkbug wrote:Nate Kiowa Jones posts here regularly.

I know he specializes in Winchester 92 and clones, but it is hard to believe he doesn't know his way around a Winchester 94 either.

Good luck.
This.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not in central IL, that's for darn sure.

I also recommend Nate Kiowa Jones.

The cartridge stop on the link is most likely broken off, or worn down. It can be cold swagged back to shape if worn, or welded up and reshaped if broken.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

My cousin is very knowledgeable about levers and the last time I saw him he told me he was gunsmithing for a shop in Nacogdoches. If you're interested I'll call him and ask him the name of his shop again. I plan on taking anything I have to him (170 miles) because there's no one around here I trust.

EDIT: Found it.
Kizer Guns & Ammo

(936) 205-4029

10383 N US Highway 59, Nacogdoches, TX 75965
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

junkbug wrote:Nate Kiowa Jones posts here regularly.

Good luck.
This, he is in Port Arthur, Texas.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If U can take the Lever out surely U can replace the cartridge stop or repair as neccessary. Just My 2 cents, didn't cost nobody nuthin but could save some money.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Similar problem in Australia.
If any of you Ozzie Levergunners are reading then contact Rob Spittles at Mudgee in NSW.
He will do amazing work on old guns, but you have to wait in line for his services.
Pop.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

So... did you get it fixed? Pictures and update?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

pwl44m wrote:If U can take the Lever out surely U can replace the cartridge stop or repair as neccessary. Just My 2 cents, didn't cost nobody nuthin but could save some money.
Perry
I agree with Perry, just order the part and replace it, I think it's $15.00. I've had mine out and worked on it, if yours is worn down, just replace it. There are instructions on the web for how to disassemble a Winchester, it's not hard.

It can be a headache to ship a rifle.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."