I have scoped my leveraction!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

I have scoped my leveraction!

Post by gamekeeper »

As some of you know I regularly shoot squirrels from my bedroom/office window, just lately I started missing a few, :oops: I put it down to my ageing eyes.
Now, I don't like scopes and have nearly always relied on iron sights but I did have a 4X40 scope that someone gave me a year ago, so I dig it out and put it on my 9422, I dialed in in and though still not liking it found the sight picture and ease of hitting what I aimed at much better, then I noticed the mounts were see through so I could still use the PROPER SIGHTS. To my surprise I found that looking through the mounts I could group with the iron sights nearly if not as well as with the scope. :o
I'm keeping the scope on for a while, (got a squirrel yesterday with it) but if I decide to take it off I might just leave the mounts on as they seem to improve my focusing... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I have scoped my leveraction!

Post by Pitchy »

Sounds like a winning package pard. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Whatever works. I am glad you found an answer to a problem.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

DISGUSTING,,,,,, :lol:

You need a peepsight our good friend by way of a gift, say from a loved one maybe :wink:

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What Nath said.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Sounds like what you really need is a good tang sight!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

game keeper wrote:
I noticed the mounts were see through
To my surprise I found that looking through the mounts I could group with the iron sights nearly if not as well as with the scope. :o
I'm keeping the scope on for a while, (got a squirrel yesterday with it) but if I decide to take it off I might just leave the mounts on as they seem to improve my focusing... :lol:

And here, folks, we have yet another who's discovered the benefit of the "ghost ring" peep sight ! ! . ;)

:mrgreen: . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Peep or Tang sight=Ok. Scope=UnTexican.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Marbles Tang Sight for your Winchester 9422 (.22 Magnum), sight # 009837, screw set # 995001:

Lyman Globe Front Sight, I don't know if the 9422 would want the .404" or .494" height, but I suspect that the .494" will be best, their model # 17AMI - .494" High, part # 3171078:

That combination will give you "scope like" performance while maintaining that traditional look. Yes, there may come a time where even this won't quite ensure the fine target acquisition younger eyes enjoy, but... in the interim...

BTW, always wear eye protection.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Years ago,we all had .22 bolt rifles with 1" glass on them.
The southwesterners will know that after a rainfall the frogs would come out at the runoff collection areas.
By the thousands.We would take the scopes off and use the picture created by the bases for a sight picture, and shoot frogs like that.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

buddy_sml.jpg
3_frogs_small_web.jpg

ASSASSINO!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Eye-Bite! wrote:Peep or Tang sight=Ok. Scope=UnTexican.
I agree, a Winchester with a scope looks like a horse with antlers... :oops:

I think it is time to invest in a peep or tang sight.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Washita wrote:Sounds like what you really need is a good tang sight!
Yep! Or peep.

Nothing "wrong" with a scope though! I like 'em just fine.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My neighbor on Maui had a beat up old model 94 Winchester that he duct taped a 8" length of 1" PVC pipe to on the barrel just ahead of the receiver scout scope style with a hole drilled in the fit over the rear sight. He swore it made him shoot better but boy was it an eye sore.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock:
Bet that was ugly.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Aging eyes happen to the best of us. Always better to be accurate with your firearm - especially when you are hunting - then worrying about aesthetics...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Aging eyes happen to the best of us. Always better to be accurate with your firearm - especially when you are hunting - then worrying about aesthetics...
Naw, I can't hunt with an ugly gun.. :lol:
gatorcole
Levergunner

Post by gatorcole »

My eye doctor told me that when looking threw a small hold the focus of the eye improves. Maybe this is what you have noticed.
If a man can build it, and grow it. He will want for nothing.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You still have to SEE what you're shooting at, to hit it. I couldn't see a frog at 50 yards with my 'naked' eyes, whether using open sights, an receiver or 'tang' aperture sight, or a Marble's "Bullseye", but I could see one at 100 yards with a 40x scope. So if I wanted to hunt frogs, I'd be using a scope...!

Same applies to something big like a whitetail, if the light is dim and it is in brush.

No sense making a tool do something it wasn't designed for. Aperture sights are excellent when the target is reasonably visible, and there is enough light. They are more durable than a scope most of the time, but ANY sight will be out of commission if the gun is dropped and the sight impacts a hard surface.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Try the Merit eyeglass attachment.
I have one and it works well.
I have only used it while target shooting.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just shoot it with the scope on it and forget all this folderal, I mean codswallop. Although that is not the best package scope wise. Pics? Mount it as low as you can.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Nothing wrong with using an optic on any firearm to enhance its performance. Don't laugh but some put red dot sights on their guns for hunting the North Country.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

OS, I know only too well your views regarding scopes and it's a wonder to me that you haven't yet even scoped your golf clubs... :D

I know also that you are right and that the scope sight has made accurate shooting a possibility for the vast majority of hunters but I still just hate the way they look on a leveraction.

I grew up with open sights and when I was young with decent eyesight I was happy with the results of my shooting with open sights.
I guess now I'm an old fanny burp and I restrict my hunting to critters that are so close I can almost smell their breath, it just seems unfair to to use a scope.
My only worry is if by sticking to open sights I may cause unnecessary suffering to my quarry by poor shot placement, in which case I will give up shooting live targets. If this leaves me unfulfilled as a hunter, then darn it I will have to buy a bolt action and scope it... :lol:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Tis interesting, since going scopeless (other than a couple of airguns) I am shooting off hand with more confidence.
Seeing so much shake of those `hairs` had me forever reaching for a fence post or tree and any off hand shot almost seemed stressfull!

Not now, or not for now even. I just throw that 94 up and get on with it.

This is just my worthless opinion/view.

I am glad you are enjoying your shooting GK and long may it last :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well GK it is like living in the desert - you gotta learn to love the wind, usually 25 mph when we play golf in the afternoon at 105 degrees so no sense even taking the scoped golf clubs out. But then golf is a game of errors (just a matter of how large) and shooting is a game of precision, especially when shooting at animals where the target can already be indistinct. SO - what gives you the most precision. Can you shoot sub inch groups at 100 yds with open sights. My vision surprised me at age 44 with 10 inch groups up from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 with the factory opens. An old Weaver 4x turned that down to .75 - 1" with the same rifle and ammo. So what is to pick. Now as far as my known views - just want to throw my two cents into the stew. Whenever this come up there will be a myriad of suggestions and a hue and cry to try every trick to try to help your ailing eye sight which is still what you are working with. When you make the leap to hyperspace with the optically enhanced ghost rings. You will also be seeing the target and sight on a single plane with more light and get a carrying handle to boot :) Now once you try both and choose the inferior system all the error difference outcome is on you. Less of course the object is to wound game for sport. Most of the levers I have tried scoped are capable of 1" groups. My 35 rem with 200 gr is .85", 88 1/2", BLR 243 .25" - targets available upon request. 45-70 best a little under 1/2" but an inch with a few types of ammo. Now go out and shoot some groups with your present set up and tell me your argument again - you just want to wear your brown shoes with your tux? :D

This is not to say that open/irons will not do great under the proper circumstances. Heck, Munden didn't even need sights.

Hey, what's not to love about this sleek :) looking outfit. PM to you.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:Just shoot it with the scope on it and forget all this folderal, I mean codswallop. Although that is not the best package scope wise. Pics? Mount it as low as you can.
Agree...
For whatever reason, an old side mounted Weaver K model scope looks
Classic to me 8)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

OS, you make some sound points and I would not (could not) argue with your logic, :wink: it is because I can no longer shoot good groups at anything more than point blank range with open sights I have changed my style of hunting to getting up as close as possible to avoid wounding game, just last week I got within 20yds of a yearling Roe deer, I was only carrying my 16GA Stevens 94 with 1oz #7, so the deer was quite safe :D
I carry a gun most days around the 55 acres were I live but more often than not never fire a shot, I just enjoy being out there with a handy little carbine or shotgun.
Now if my intention was to just shoot game I could sit in a hide with a scoped rifle and take shots out to 150yds. and I would do so if I had to. 8)
I suppose I see myself as more of a Davy Crockett type than a Rambo type when I take to the field, so the less technology I have to rely on the better.. :lol:
I guess you're right about the tux too.. :lol:

PS Ive just seen the sleek image you sent me and yes I fully agree very nice... :shock: :lol:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

casastahle wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Just shoot it with the scope on it and forget all this folderal, I mean codswallop. Although that is not the best package scope wise. Pics? Mount it as low as you can.
Agree...
Classic to me 8)
If you like the look of scopes fine but how far back in design of firearms would a scope look classic? a nice old Sharps with a full length brass scope OK but say a flint lock Brown Bess and you would get some strange looks.. :lol:

My old signature line used to be: "Unspoilt by Progress" perhaps I should still use it.. :? :oops: :lol:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

gatorcole wrote:My eye doctor told me that when looking threw a small hole the focus of the eye improves. Maybe this is what you have noticed.
It is both true and easily provable (poke a pinhole in a piece of paper and peer through it without your spectacles if you wear them - you may be amazed).

Indeed, you can make a "lens" for a camera with nothing more than a pinhole. Bit of a hobby for some folks.

This is a pinhole image:

Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

game keeper wrote:
casastahle wrote:
Agree...
Classic to me 8)
If you like the look of scopes fine but how far back in design of firearms would a scope look classic? a nice old Sharps with a full length brass scope OK but say a flint lock Brown Bess and you would get some strange looks.. :lol:

My old signature line used to be: "Unspoilt by Progress" perhaps I should still use it.. :? :oops: :lol:
My muzzle loader is pretty much like this one:

I am fully spoilt by progress. :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Oly that is a very sharp image, I have in the past used a pin hole in a piece of card to see something on a map when I didn't have my glasses.
I think that looking through the see through mounts has a similar effect on my ability to focus my open sights.. 8)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Oly, your muzzle loader is about as far removed from a Brown Bess as it can be.. 8) you sure are spoiled by progress... :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

GK - in your position as you describe I see your point.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If someone would just make the old brass full length scopes, I would restore the Win 1873 in rimfire
THAT would be a classy looking rifle.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm in the wrong forum I think. Putting a scope on a 94 Winchester is like putting training wheels on a Harley Davidson. Might be useful, but oh so very UGLY.

You guys know that I haven't fired a round since April of 2010 or 11 don't you? Well I'll tell you two things.

A: My eyes have deteriorated in those two years.

~and~

B: I'll be d.a.m.n.e.d if I put a scope on any of my lever guns.

Peep Sights = absolutely, Scopes = no way in hell.

I think you guys are just getting old, time to put the shooting irons away and plunk your butts in the rocking chair at the old folks home. :wink:
OK, now I will forever bow out of any thread with the word "scope" associated with the word "lever gun" or Win 94 or any of those things. 8)

Oh wait, I can't do that. With all the you visually challenged old pharts scoping all your lever guns, I won't have any threads to post on. Geeze, I can't have that. :twisted:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear you're still not getting any shooting Joe. :( The scope on my 9422 was only an experiment, HONEST!! :oops:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

olyinaz at least grasped the concept of the Merit eyeglass attachment.
They rotate out of the way and when needed moved into useful position.
Worst case, you look like a nerd, deer & coyotes do not know what a nerd is.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I posted awhile back bout putting a scope on a 94 30-30
Today I took it off & put the Williams peep back on it, just couldn't like it hanging there
I have scopes on other guns that are better suited, I shot bout a 100 rounds with it so I
gave it a fair try

ollogger
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:My neighbor on Maui had a beat up old model 94 Winchester that he duct taped a 8" length of 1" PVC pipe to on the barrel just ahead of the receiver scout scope style with a hole drilled in the fit over the rear sight. He swore it made him shoot better but boy was it an eye sore.
found a couple of pics for your consideration... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

30wcf where can I get such a rig?...... :lol:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

game keeper wrote:
casastahle wrote:
Agree...
Classic to me 8)

O about this far back or more works as classic for me. :wink:

Last edited by cshold on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

casastahle, that does infact look OK 8) but a carry handle AND a sling, that's going too far... :?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

game keeper wrote:casastahle, that does infact look OK 8) but a carry handle AND a sling, that's going too far... :?
The sling is an absolute necessity after adding the massive weight increase
of the carry handle. :P
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Tried the scope out again today but only at about 35 yds so not much of a test, I still grouped as well at that range with the open sights, looking through the mounts.
I also had three one shot kills on squirrels the first one with open sights the last two I used the scope.

BTW I was using CCI segmented sub sonics, devastating on squirrels but they destroy a lot of the meat if not head shot.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

In all seriousness, I agree, scopes don’t look the best on most lever guns.
That said, with today’s antler restrictions a scope is a big advantage in the
woods I hunt in anyway. Two years ago I would not have shot this buck without
the aid of that 1x to 4x Leupold sitting on top of that model 99c.
With the naked eye in the dense woods I could not tell no way - no how
if that little point was even there let alone an 1” long.
(My part of PA. buck rules: 3 points on one side all have to be at least 1” or longer.)
Yes I liked the old days better, if ya saw antler standing above the ears, HE WAS LEGAL :)

Last edited by cshold on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yes, there is that to be said for scopes, at least you see a clearer picture when undergrowth etc gets in the way.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

[quote="casastahle"]In all seriousness, I agree, scopes don’t look the best on most lever guns.
(My part of PA. buck rules: 3 points on one side all have to be at least 1” or longer.)
Yes I liked the old days better, if ya saw antler standing above the ears, HE WAS LEGAL :)

Yup, Me too. Where I hunt it's shady thickets and trying to count antler points for a legal buck OR making sure it wasn't a button during doe only hunts had gotten tough enough for my eyes that I found myself on my stand last year with a scoped Rem. pump. It just wasn't the same and I really wasn't enjoying myself like I usually do.

After thinking about it I decided that I was being an idiot by not scoping the rifles I prefer to hunt with and leaving them home for the sake of what I thought their appearance should be. I bought the things to use and not just on bright sunny days at the rifle range, So I've put scopes on my favorites and they will go hunting again with me this year. :)

Interestingly enough, Marlin apparently thought someone like me might need to scope 'em someday and they were kind enough to D&T them at the factory for me. The 1894CL in .218 Bee I just picked up already had a mount on it so I decided to give it a try too. So far one fox that was cruising for a laying hen dinner really hated the idea, Since the 1-4X scope brought him into focus quick enough that the last few yards to the woods never happened for him. I know I wouldn't have made the shot in time with irons or a peep sight.

When I'm gone and if the next person to own my rifles is horribly offended by the scopes, They can take 'em off. I won't be upset in the slightest.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

SmokeEater2 wrote:
casastahle wrote:In all seriousness, I agree, scopes don’t look the best on most lever guns.

Yup, Me too. Where I hunt it's shady thickets and trying to count antler points for a legal buck OR making sure it wasn't a button during doe only hunts had gotten tough enough for my eyes that I found myself on my stand last year with a scoped Rem. pump. It just wasn't the same and I really wasn't enjoying myself like I usually do.

After thinking about it I decided that I was being an idiot by not scoping the rifles I prefer to hunt with and leaving them home for the sake of what I thought their appearance should be. I bought the things to use and not just on bright sunny days at the rifle range, So I've put scopes on my favorites and they will go hunting again with me this year. :)

Interestingly enough, Marlin apparently thought someone like me might need to scope 'em someday and they were kind enough to D&T them at the factory for me. The 1894CL in .218 Bee I just picked up already had a mount on it so I decided to give it a try too. So far one fox that was cruising for a laying hen dinner really hated the idea, Since the 1-4X scope brought him into focus quick enough that the last few yards to the woods never happened for him. I know I wouldn't have made the shot in time with irons or a peep sight.

When I'm gone and if the next person to own my rifles is horribly offended by the scopes, They can take 'em off. I won't be upset in the slightest.
My sentiments exactly. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now, not to be contrarian but --- scopes look good on lever action rifles to me. And shhhhh! Don't let this out, most of my 30-30s don't have scopes. :)