S&W product

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

S&W product

Post by brucew44guns »

You guys are the encyclopedia of guns as I see it------Did Smith & Wesson make a particular model 6 gun in .38 special but built on an N frame? If you know the model number let me know. It might not exist.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W product

Post by M. M. Wright »

Yes, fixed sights in 38 Special. I'd have to look up the number and it may have been earlier than model numbers. 5 screw I think but someone will be along whose brain is more in gear than mine.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sounds like you guys are talking about the 38/44.

A Second Model Hand Ejector, N frame of the .44 Special but chambered in .38 for the higher pressure of the then
new Hi-Vel (sp) police ammo. If I remember correctly it was also known as the model 20.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE 38SPL OUTDOORSMAN, MODEL 23[?] IF MEMORY SERVES. MINE IS A 6 1/2" GUN.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, the only three N-frame .38 Special (only) S&W revolvers were the .38-44, the Model 20, and the Model 23 (.38-44 Outdoorsman).

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

deleted
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Those .38 special N frames are mostly pricey now, if you can find one for sale, but are really cool Smith's to own. I say that now after having traded a 4" 38/44 on a "who-can-remember-what-now" deal back in the mid-1970's. Not the first or last time I've made such a dumb mistake, ashamed to say.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The Smith and Wesson 38/44 was known as the "Heavy Duty" in the fixed sight version and the "Outdoorsman" in the adjustable sight version. Anyway you served it up, they are fine sixguns. I have a couple, a 4" and a 5" Heavy Duty.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I thought your face looked familiar, Charles. What did you trade me for my long lost 4" Heavy Duty? Whatever, it wasn't enough, but then you never ever got the worst end of a deal. Might of been early instead of the mid 1970's. Yeah, that's the ticket,... had to be, as I was living in Harlingen in those days. Sure, don't you remember? We met at the Drive Inn in Matamoros when you were dining with Dial and Mrs. Dunkin. As I recall you were eating the cabrito platter when I happened by, bumped into the Mariachi trio giving you their rendition of La Paloma, and spilled my half full bottle of Bohemia down your back.:lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The 27, 28, and the 19 put the 20 and the 23 out of business.

A few years back, I had a like new 23 made in 1953 with the new post war short action, in the box. I got 15 c-notes for it.---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD