It's......................

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

It's......................

Post by cshold »

exactly 6 months till Christmas :P
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: It's......................

Post by Borregos »

Tempus fugit :(
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:roll: Bugga....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

And I wonder how many fools haven't paid for last Christmas yet. :P
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am glad I didnt take my lights down.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Great on the meaning of it and a bummer on the commercialization of it.----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Is it too late to think about being good?

Just wonderin?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rifle 57
Levergunner

Post by Rifle 57 »

jeepnik wrote:And I wonder how many fools haven't paid for last Christmas yet. :P
I started using cash on hand 20 years ago best thing I ever did thank the good Lord!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rifle 57 wrote:
jeepnik wrote:And I wonder how many fools haven't paid for last Christmas yet. :P
I started using cash on hand 20 years ago best thing I ever did thank the good Lord!
Smartest thing I ever started doing.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

and 6 months less one day for Festivus! :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:shock: :cry:

My thinking------------------aprox 260,000 mins.

me-----feel better! :D
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Sixgun wrote:Great on the meaning of it and a bummer on the commercialization of it.----------6
To Sixgun's point, it also means it's only about 6 weeks--if that--til the likes of Costco and Wallyworld start stocking shelves of Christmas stuff. Good grief. I like (love) Christmas as much as most (?), including the "traditional" hubbub, pomp 'n circumstances, Holiday music, etc, but after Thanksgiving--the way it used to be. Let each hoiliday have its day (or month as the case might be) before moving onto the next! Off soap box. That said, doesn't mean I haven't been maintaining a wish list :) :)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, for all you Scrooges and Grinches, Merry CHRISTmas anyway!

Even though the world finds a way to discredit, and lessen the message of Christianity, I prefer to think of it as Jesus' birthday (yeah, I know He was really born in the spring, but who cares?)...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Booger Bill wrote:I am glad I didnt take my lights down.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My day was going good until this news.

Celebrating Jesus is a special thing but what most folk call Christmas is another.

Walmart should be putting up signs next week.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Jesus was born on Rosh Hashanah
But the Magi worshiped him on December 25
http://www.bethlehemstar.net/
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Jesus was evidently born in the month of Ethanim (September-October) of the year 2 B.C.E., was baptized about the same time of the year in 29 C.E., and died about 3:00 p.m. on Friday, the 14th day of the spring month of Nisan (March-April), 33 C.E.

“The observance of Christmas is not of divine appointment, nor is it of N[ew] T[estament] origin. M’Clintock and Strong’s Cyclopædia

“The reason for establishing December 25 as Christmas is somewhat obscure, but it is usually held that the day was chosen to correspond to pagan festivals that took place around the time of the winter solstice, when the days begin to lengthen, to celebrate the ‘rebirth of the sun.’ . . . The Roman Saturnalia (a festival dedicated to Saturn, the god of agriculture, and to the renewed power of the sun), also took place at this time, and some Christmas customs are thought to be rooted in this ancient pagan celebration.”— The Encyclopedia Americana (1977), Vol. 6, p. 666.

“The date of Christ’s birth is not known. The Gospels indicate neither the day nor the month . . . According to the hypothesis suggested by H. Usener . . . and accepted by most scholars today, the birth of Christ was assigned the date of the winter solstice (December 25 in the Julian calendar, January 6 in the Egyptian), because on this day, as the sun began its return to northern skies, the pagan devotees of Mithra celebrated the dies natalis Solis Invicti (birthday of the invincible sun). On Dec. 25, 274, Aurelian had proclaimed the sun-god principal patron of the empire and dedicated a temple to him in the Campus Martius. Christmas originated at a time when the cult of the sun was particularly strong at Rome.”— The New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. III, p. 656.

“The Romans’ favorite festival was Saturnalia, which began on December 17 and ended with the ‘birthday of the unconquered sun’ (Natalis solis invicti) on December 25. Somewhere in the second quarter of the fourth century, savvy officials of the church of Rome decided December 25 would make a dandy day to celebrate the birthday of the ‘sun of righteousness.’ Christmas was born. It is impossible to separate Christmas from its pagan origins.” U.S. Catholic

Christmas did not find favor in the colonies. Puritan reformers viewed the celebration as pagan and banned it in Massachusetts between 1659 and 1681.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

time to decorate, again... :0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Jesus was evidently born in the month of Ethanim (September-October) of the year 2 B.C.E., was baptized about the same time of the year in 29 C.E., and died about 3:00 p.m. on Friday, the 14th day of the spring month of Nisan (March-April), 33 C.E.

“The observance of Christmas is not of divine appointment, nor is it of N[ew] T[estament] origin. M’Clintock and Strong’s Cyclopædia

“The reason for establishing December 25 as Christmas is somewhat obscure, but it is usually held that the day was chosen to correspond to pagan festivals that took place around the time of the winter solstice, when the days begin to lengthen, to celebrate the ‘rebirth of the sun.’ . . . The Roman Saturnalia (a festival dedicated to Saturn, the god of agriculture, and to the renewed power of the sun), also took place at this time, and some Christmas customs are thought to be rooted in this ancient pagan celebration.”— The Encyclopedia Americana (1977), Vol. 6, p. 666.

“The date of Christ’s birth is not known. The Gospels indicate neither the day nor the month . . . According to the hypothesis suggested by H. Usener . . . and accepted by most scholars today, the birth of Christ was assigned the date of the winter solstice (December 25 in the Julian calendar, January 6 in the Egyptian), because on this day, as the sun began its return to northern skies, the pagan devotees of Mithra celebrated the dies natalis Solis Invicti (birthday of the invincible sun). On Dec. 25, 274, Aurelian had proclaimed the sun-god principal patron of the empire and dedicated a temple to him in the Campus Martius. Christmas originated at a time when the cult of the sun was particularly strong at Rome.”— The New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. III, p. 656.

“The Romans’ favorite festival was Saturnalia, which began on December 17 and ended with the ‘birthday of the unconquered sun’ (Natalis solis invicti) on December 25. Somewhere in the second quarter of the fourth century, savvy officials of the church of Rome decided December 25 would make a dandy day to celebrate the birthday of the ‘sun of righteousness.’ Christmas was born. It is impossible to separate Christmas from its pagan origins.” U.S. Catholic

Christmas did not find favor in the colonies. Puritan reformers viewed the celebration as pagan and banned it in Massachusetts between 1659 and 1681.
I honestly believe God used an Aggie Law Professor to straighten all this out. If you ever have the chance to see Dr. Larson's presentation - or even see his dvd - I highly recommend it.
http://www.bethlehemstar.net/
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I believe the first century Apostles are the best examples to follow besides Christ himself as set forth in his word the Bible.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I believe the first century Apostles are the best examples to follow besides Christ himself as set forth in his word the Bible.
Amen Ji.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

C. Cash wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I believe the first century Apostles are the best examples to follow besides Christ himself as set forth in his word the Bible.
Amen Ji.
so you guys sold all your possessions and joined a church commune - because that's what they did in Acts chapters 3 to 6.
And of course you keep kosher - they did that, too. God bless you.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

bulldog1935 wrote:
C. Cash wrote:
Amen Ji.
so you guys sold all your possessions and joined a church commune - because that's what they did in Acts chapters 3 to 6.
And of course you keep kosher - they did that, too. God bless you.

Acts 3-6, it has nothing at all to do with joining a commune. It's an account of the preaching effort of the Apostles in the early Christian congregation, and also of fellow Christians being charitable to those in need, and a fine example for us today. Also a powerful lesson on the price of greed and lying.
Kosher laws were under Mosaic covenant which was abolished by the new Messianic covenant by Christ. Christians of Jewish decent were free to follow the kosher laws but in no way were they mandatory for any Christians. Acts 10:9-16

I will continue to follow Christs teachings and the fine example of the first century Apostles.
I will also heed their warnings. 2 Peter 2:1-3
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

excellent, then start by being charitable with your christian brothers.

Do you think it's God who wants educated theologians to tell us that the act of worshiping Christ's birth is the continuation of a pagan ritual, or do you think that's the devil?

God doesn't use the educated. How many times has he used a donkey to rebuke a scholar?
Without knowing anything about what Dr. Larson discovered you're setting yourself above him and above me.
Thou shalt be arrogant is not one of the 10 commandments.

Peter and James and the Jerusalem elders for 15 years said you couldn't be saved unless you were circumcised, and grown men were made to be circumcized - they had to become Jews if they wanted to be Christians. How many do you think rejected Christianity over that? Paul straightened them out and God proved it to Peter in a dream.
Churchese is a foul language to God. He calls it standing in the street and praying in many words. It builds a wall between the world and God and makes Christians look for the devil in their brothers. Were Peter and James the devil? No, they were just wrong. They weren't God, they were men and fallible, just like you and me.

God bless you.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

bulldog1935 wrote: God doesn't use the educated. How many times has he used a donkey to rebuke a scholar?
Without knowing anything about what Dr. Larson discovered you're setting yourself above him and above me.
Thou shalt be arrogant is not one of the 10 commandments.
Are you saying Dr. Larson is not educated? I choose to follow Christ as did the Apostles of the first century not one man and his theories and interpretations nor practice traditions with unholy pagan origins. Mark 13:22,23 Acts 20:29,30
I'm sorry you feel worshiping God in truth as did the first centuries Christians is arrogance. John 4:23,24
I'm sorry if that makes you angry.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

how old are you Ji, how long have you been doing this? Bad-mouthing your elders? Discredit what I know, discredit what Dr. Larson knows. Attack other's relationships with God.
Dr. Larson is an educated aggie lawyer, neither a theologian nor an astronomer, but he has accurately identified the Star of Bethlehem.
The science of astronomy originated with this specific goal. There is nothing pagan about it. You're thinking of astrology, and they're different.
What Dr. Larson accomplished was a quest of faith. He is exactly the kind of person God would use.
The most touching part of what he has done is bring people to the cross, and you will never know unless you see it. You are robbing yourself and your faith by not seeing it.
But I'm quite sure you weren't alive in the first century, so you really have no knowledge of how they worshiped.
God bless you.
Last edited by bdhold on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I follow Christ, I need no one else to follow.
I'm sorry if you think not sharing your beliefs is "bad-mouthing"
I am so sorry if my faith in Christ makes you angry.
I read God's word daily, and The Acts of the Apostles is of one of my favorites, and gives a very accurate detailed account of how the early Christian congregation worshiped. The letters of Paul, Peter, James, Jude, and John also are very enlightening. That is why they were inspired by God to write these so we today could know how to worship him in truth. 2 Timothy 3:16
To believe otherwise is just not right.
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

but you don't - you have many words (and actually not that many - you keep saying the same thing)
I don't question your faith, but you're so hung up on the words you can't see God's miracles before your face - you hide behind the words so you won't have to see them.
God bless you.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I have nothing to hide, I'm just trying to share the truth of God's word. I see miracles on a daily basis which always strengthens my faith. I'm sorry for getting you all riled up, that was never my intent.
John 8:31,32 James 1:22-25
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

thou shalt project is not a commandment, either.
Dr. Larson is not a pagan, he is your Christian elder.
I'm also not a follower of a demonic cult, I'm your Christian elder.
Do you read it, or do you understand it. Because their mistakes are written there, as well, and that is just as inspired.
You won't know them by what they say Ji, but by what they do.
Please read back and count how many times you used the word "I" - who are you pointing to
God bless you.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'm sorry but you are not my Christian elder nor is Dr. Larson. Elders are those that take the lead in teaching Christian truths. Your beliefs differ from what I learned from God's word. I cannot speak for you, I speak for myself of my faith. Why does that bother you? I accept the word of God not man's. I accept the teachings of Christ not man's. I, not you, not we. You should read your comments which are little more than a series of personal attacks. If you choose to discount God's word as incomplete and accept the teachings of man that is your choice but don't go attacking someone just because they believe differently. I have responded to your angry attacks calmly using scripture but you reply with inaccurate information and more personal attacks. It does not reflect well on you.
bulldog1935 wrote: Peter and James and the Jerusalem elders for 15 years said you couldn't be saved unless you were circumcised, and grown men were made to be circumcized - they had to become Jews if they wanted to be Christians... Were Peter and James the devil? No, they were just wrong.
That is simply not correct. In fact Acts chapter 10 and 11 relates how God used Peter to convert the first Gentile Cornelius a uncircumcised Roman Centurion and his family and friends to Christianity. God's earlier vision to Peter showed him how uncircumcised gentiles were now considered clean and acceptable to God and thus opened the door for salvation to all people of the Earth. This happened in the year 36 C.E. just 3 years after the forming of the Christian congregation at Pentecost 33 C.E. The first three years of the Christian congregation focused on the conversion of Jews but now salvation opened up to men of all nations. Some in Jerusalem who were supporters of circumcision (not Peter nor James) who were converted Jews had difficulty letting go of the Mosaic law and accepting that a uncircumcised person could worship God acceptably. Acts 11:4-16 tells how Peter related to these supporters of circumcision the evidences of divine acceptance of uncircumcised Gentiles the most import being the pouring out of holy spirit onto these Gentiles even before their baptism. Acts11:19 shows that these Jewish Christians accepted without any further objection Peter's words, and glorified God.
Peter nor James ever taught a necessity of circumcision for salvation.
In Acts Chapter 15 tells how the issue of circumcision was brought up again 13 years after Cornelius and other uncircumcised Gentiles were accepted into the Christian congregation. This time by it was in the city of Antioch by Christians who were formerly Pharisees as verse 3 shows (neither Peter nor James were ever Pharisees only Paul was before his conversion). These former Pharisees still wrongfully held on to Mosaic law beliefs.
Peter was in full support of Paul and Barnabas regarding uncircumcised Gentile Christians as Acts 15:7 thru 11 brings out. Acts 15:13 thru 20 shows how James spoke out in support for uncircumcised Gentiles stating in verse 19 "Hence my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God". James final say put an end to this circumcision issue. Again there is no evidence to your claim that Peter and James ever taught the necessity of circumcision for Gentile salvation as you have claimed. Peter and James were not wrong on this issue as you claim, it never happened.

Nobody here ever claimed that any of the Apostle were perfect or infallible, the Bible record is evidence to that. They were all men of great faith and humility but not perfect. They still are great examples to follow for Christians today.
Accurate knowledge is necessary for salvation as stated at John 17:3

Please for your sake no more angry rants and personal attacks.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

no rant, no personal attack. never any anger - a failed lesson due to my clumsiness.
The topic of this thread is Christmas. I brought up a very relevant reference to the discovery of the actual Bethlehem Star, the actual date of Jesus' birth (tax day and a travel holiday), and the fact that December 25 is the actual day the Wise Men worshiped baby Jesus. There is nothing pagan about Christmas, and there never was. Yet Christians readily buy into Satan's lie because the egos of theologians tell them these "facts".

All doctrine was created by men, and God gives us a running 15-year example in Acts of how to get it wrong. In their prejudice, great men of God made it easy for Jews and next-to-impossible for male gentiles. Twenty-five years later, James was ranting on himself for it in his epistle. Nowhere does God's word tell us to hate anyone or anything, yet most Christians believe hating the right things is a test of faith. God doesn't want doctrine from us - he wants relationship. He makes it easy, while men strive to make it difficult. Everyone can be saved who accepts God's gift and this doctrine. Many can't accept the doctrine.

Dr. Larson's dvd is very good, but his presentation is a blessing. Many people will miss that blessing. God used him to let us to see what he made witness to everyone in Jerusalem when Jesus was on the cross (you can still get it on the dvd, but it's awesome to see it in worship). Truths that God built into the foundations of the universe, without accident, and announced from Genesis to Revelation.
The sad thing is you proved me correct about Christians looking for the devil in their brothers.
God bless you
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Too many today place way too much importance on the supposed day of Christ's birth and very little importance on the truly most important day the day of his death that which we know is without a doubt. He never commanded his disciples to celebrate his birth but did say keep on commemorating the events of the day of his death- "Keep Doing this in remembrance of me" the Apostle Paul emphasizing "you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he arrives" 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 There is absolutely no evidence that first century Christians ever celebrated Christ's birthday but a known fact they did indeed commemorate the day of his death. From study of Bible chronology we know Christ was 33.5 years old at his death, and we know the exact day he died. Simple math after this shows his day of birth to be in the fall around October. That really is not what is important. Regardless of when he was born that day is not import compared to the day he died for us as a ransom sacrifice for all our sins. The holiday of Christmas distracts people away from this far more important day and event. Is the Devil responsible for this? Yes, I firmly believe this.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

There are so many myths perpetuated about Christ's birth that people tend to accept them without question. God's word clears up these myths.
His actual date of birth not mentioned in any of the 4 Gospels because that detail was not important. It certainly was not the 25th of December the day pagan Romans celebrated their sun god Mithra. It was also the time of the celebration of Saturnalia. Bible chronology shows the real day to be sometime in the fall not the dead of winter (shepherds are not out with their sheep overnight in the dead of winter, and a manger at this time would be too cold and exposed a place to give birth to a child). Again the birth date not important enough to be mentioned. Again Christ's birth never celebrated by first century Christians.
Luke's accounts of Christ's birth show that lowly shepherds from nearby fields were the only visitors at Jesus' birth in the manger after God's angels appeared and announced to these shepherds the glorious birth of His son. Luke 2:8-16
What of these 3 "wise men"? In the original Greek, the Bible calls them neither kings nor wise men. They were magi. Many Bible translation more accurately refer to them as astrologers. They were evidently practitioners of the pagan art of divination based on the stars. The word "magic" originates with magi. The Bible record reveals neither the names nor the number of those visitors. Astrology and divination were practices condemned by Mosaic law. Deuteronomy 18:9-13 These magi came from the east most likely Babylon where they first observed this star. Why didn't Gods angels announce his birth to these magi? Because where not his worshipers. Where did this "star" first lead these men from the east? Not to Bethlehem but to Jerusalem to King Herod the enemy of Christ. From here Herod recruited these magi to find Christ and report back to him his location. From Jerusalem this "star" then leads these magi to Bethlehem. By this time was Christ still a newborn baby in a manger? Luke 2:11 tells us "And when they (the magi) went into the house (not a manger) they saw the young child (not a newborn infant) with Mary its mother." By the time these magi arrived in Bethlehem via Jerusalem and the "east" the Christ was already a young child, and may have been as old as two years of age thus Herod's command to kill every male child in Bethlehem 2 years and younger. Luke 2:16,17
Obviously these men were planning to return to Herod and report the Christ's exact location were it not for divine intervention via a dream directing the magi NOT to return to Herod. They returned back to their country via another way thus avoiding Herod who wanted to kill the Christ child. Luke 2:12 What was the origin of this "star"? The Bible never identifies the source of this star but logically why would God endanger his only begotten son using magic practicing astrologers? He didn't, he protected his son from these forces.

People who unquestioningly accept and perpetuate these myths are the one's buying into Satan's lie.

Christ's death and ransom sacrifice is what is most import NOT his birth.

More people need to read, study, and research God's word instead blindly accepting the words and traditions of of men. Mark 7:6-8

Follow Christ, study God's word, pray incessantly. Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Wow! This tongue & cheek post turned out to be a nice little bible lesson.
Thanks Ji & bulldog1935 ya’ll gave me some things to think about.

Blessings to you both.
:)