show her a wrench

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bdhold

show her a wrench

Post by bdhold »

and she goes to town

We ride a lot of greenway paths, which have quite a few pedestrians, so the crowning touch on the cockpit was a Japanese Crane bell
She picked the Giro-yellow bar wrap, and that's fine, they're visible.

maiden voyage yesterday
I had to chase her the whole way - at every water stop she complained how tired she was - and I still had to chase her
One more item in the mill for her - replacing those borrowed city pedals with a nice used set of road pedals and new black cages.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT - show her a wrench

Post by gamekeeper »

8) 8) 8) infact super COOL!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Now that's gotta make ya' proud. It even makes me proud of her! Congratulations to you both. No doubts here, I'm convinced you're a 1st class dad!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Great job !! Looks like you may have a future engineer on your hands though. She's showing signs ...... I'm just sayin. :lol:
NRA life member
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

it's her first drop-bar bike and even though her upright has a long trail fork, she was over-steering and scaring herself on her first trip up and down our hill
(and I understand, I sometimes scare myself going fast).
We went over bending her elbows, not getting out on the extreme end of the hoods, moving step-by-step on the bars and steering with more lean than turn.
Yesterday on the path, she was out front the whole way and honed her skills. She was great at ringing the bell with one hand while controlling the bike and braking with the other.
Breaking in that new Brooks saddle may take awhile, though.
And hard to tell with her, because she does not want you to see her squirm - never has.
bmtshooter wrote:Great job !! Looks like you may have a future engineer on your hands though. She's showing signs ...... I'm just sayin. :lol:
You should see her curiosity at the fillet table ever since she was little (and loves dissection in science class).
I think she's going to be a surgeon.
Last edited by bdhold on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My mother made Brooks saddles after the First World War.. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

game keeper wrote:My mother made Brooks saddles after the First World War.. :wink:
a 100-y-o design that was never broken.

For awhile Selle made them in Italy, but I think they're made all over now. I know for much of the US market, Selle Anatomica and Brooks are made side-by-side here.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Good Job, Lady... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That's a great looking bike - she done well.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

She and I planned this well. We picked the frame on ebay. You should see the one that got away: http://www.ebay.com/itm/near-NOS-small- ... 1229812208.
We had it narrowed down to these two, set up a snipe bid group, and we got the Fuji for $150 - I was delighted with that result, and we would have needed many more parts on the Geliano frame.
Designed it around parts we already had that would work (the Nuovo Record crankset came off my old Raleigh when I converted it to a triple).
Were able to spread the rear enough to use a 9-speed, and designed the custom gear cassette to match the crankset.
Great deal on a cross racing wheelset - the builder was closing out his narrow rims and we got these hand-built wheels for half price.
We built it for about $700, and it's light (as steel bikes go) and Very Fast.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Very nice, you both should be proud. She didn't try to talk you into building a fixie, huh?
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

not around here.
Besides, why emasculate a fine hand-brazed lugged steel frame?
But every bike shop has one on display - I think they want us to relegate our 2nd-generation steel frames rather than bring them up to speed.
Carbon and aluminum break, creating a high-dollar replacement market for the bike shops. Steel has an endurance limit, below which it will Never break.
http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/2013- ... hey-design

Here's my go-fast on top of the divide between the Guadalupe and Pedernales rivers, about a mile from Luchenbach.
It was a 700' climb over 10 miles (most in the latter 5 miles - also up and down the Muesebach Creek divide), and a very fast descent.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Reading this is exhausting. Time for a nap, thanks for sharing.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

you're welcome - I have 50-something friends who've had strokes or type 2 diabetes and sit around playing computer games - waiting - it ain't gonna be me.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very very cool. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

<Paul Hogan voice>"That's not a wrench. Now that's…."</Paul Hogan voice>

Slow is just slow.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

bulldog1935 wrote:you're welcome - I have 50-something friends who've had strokes or type 2 diabetes and sit around playing computer games - waiting - it ain't gonna be me.
I hear ya. My joints restrict what I can do, but I do something physical every day. Glad to see what you are able to achieve, I've never been athletic, although I used to be able to walk 30 miles a day or better. That was then, and this is the memory...

...Grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Back when I was a kid (they'd just quit using those bikes with the five-foot front wheels and the little tiny rear ones), the bikes seemed like they had enough camber (?) or whatever it is, that they sort of auto-corrected to going straight. I am thinking the axis of the rotation of the handlebars was angled back towards the rider instead of straight up or nearly so, or maybe the forks were curved more back then. Having not ridden a bike after about 1979, then just riding a new-model one of my son's, it seems like they are angled differently... is that the case, or is just that I'm more aware of the consequences of a crash and being off work and the possibility my disability insurance would find a reason to say that I'm not disabled just because of being a quadraplegic with only one eye and two fingers...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bdhold

Re: show her a wrench

Post by bdhold »

here's my load hauler (and tree climber), and it has a high offset (high caster) fork, also called short-trail.
I can put a 20-lb load up front and/or a 35-lb load on the rear rack (preferably low in pannier bags) and it rides and steers wonderfully.
But you really have to make it turn - it wants to go straight.
http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/tech/trail/
If you compare it to my red go-fast (the Moser above and just below), the only difference is the fork offset (and seat stay and fork widths - it's made for narrow tires and won't fit fenders). This 27mm is the widest tire I can fit in the rear, and the front will only take a 25 (newer bikes won't fit larger than 23mm and they make tires down to 19mm - it's not even for rolling resistance, only aerodynamics)
All the other tubing lengths and angles are virtually identical - Carlton geometry from the 60s.
Lower fork offset is made for quick steering and sports-car-like handling, and it works great. But you can't hang bags on it - nothing but the rider's weight and a spare tire bag under the saddle - or it becomes dangerously squirrely.
The little bag I have on the handlebar stem on the red bike carries a basic tool and flat kit, my cell phone and credit card.
Last edited by bdhold on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Are these brakes connected to the other levers on the front of the bars... I've always liked to cruise with my hands near the riser, but having to get to the brakes in a hurry can get a lil' nerve-wrecking!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Griff wrote:Image
Are these brakes connected to the other levers on the front of the bars... I've always liked to cruise with my hands near the riser, but having to get to the brakes in a hurry can get a lil' nerve-wrecking!
they're called interrupters or cross brakes (as in cyclocross racing)
The outer normal brake levers operate by making the brake cables shorter - the interruptors do the same thing by making the cable housings longer.
A new twist on the old "safety levers" from 70s bikes.
The brake cables run under the handlebar wraps to the interruptors.
sorry, I didn't take any photos of the installed brake cables before the wraps - the brakes were the last thing we did, and it was time to wrap the bars and ride.
The interrupter levers were cheap, btw - $16 - just more of a plumbing challenge.
They operate great - they don't interfere with the cables or add any friction, and operate just as crisp as the normal levers (actually more crisp).
(the worst thing about the old 70s safety levers were they made the whole brake system spongy).

Here is a good photo from my buddy's bike - I was hauling his bike for a week after our Muesebach-Luchenbach ride (he had a car full of girls and no room for his bike), and while I had it I took some photos for cable routing studies...
You can see how the cable housing from the outer brake ends in the interrupter bracket, then begins again on the other side of the interrupter lever. So when you squeeze the lever, you're making the housing longer.

do you like my yellow twine wraps that I used to space the cross brakes on the bar? I was proud of this.
Last edited by bdhold on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

cas wrote:<Paul Hogan voice>"That's not a wrench. Now that's…."</Paul Hogan voice>

it's actually a pretty nice wrench
It's an adjustable preset in-lb torque wrench my dad bought to use on the assembly line at Ford in Memphis in the 50s.
It clicks when you get there.
I have it on, um, loan.
45 N-m is 390 in-lb.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thank you bulldog. I've been thinking of rebuilding my old Nishiki and carrying it with me on my truck. But, it's been hanging upside down out in my barn for 20+ years... And while the paint still looks good, I just know that tires, tubes, seat handlebar wraps (foam ones were the hottest rage to tell how OLD the bike is) and every drop of grease is probably dried out and will crumble at the slightest touch... maybe it needs a professional, not a clumsy amatuer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thank you bulldog. I've been thinking of rebuilding my old Nishiki and carrying it with me on my truck. But, it's been hanging upside down out in my barn for 20+ years... And while the paint still looks good, I just know that tires, tubes, seat handlebar wraps (foam ones were the hottest rage to tell how OLD the bike is) and every drop of grease is probably dried out and will crumble at the slightest touch... maybe it needs a professional, not a clumsy amatuer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Looks very sharp! The Geliano that got away had a 53c top tube (long for a 50.5) ---- she is probably better off with the Fuji , as that would be quite a reach (and maybe why the seller's wife never used it )
----- Doug
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

hi Doug,
All these things were considered, but the Geliano airbrush was so gorgeous. Since it would have needed a seatpost, would have gone with zero offset to take back an inch. We have the fit on the Fuji dialed in pretty well for her. But with all the parts needed, including front derailleur, bottom bracket, crankset and headset, it would have cost $500 more to build that bike. And she is very proud of her Fuji.
Griff wrote:Thank you bulldog. I've been thinking of rebuilding my old Nishiki and carrying it with me on my truck. But, it's been hanging upside down out in my barn for 20+ years... And while the paint still looks good, I just know that tires, tubes, seat handlebar wraps (foam ones were the hottest rage to tell how OLD the bike is) and every drop of grease is probably dried out and will crumble at the slightest touch... maybe it needs a professional, not a clumsy amatuer.
If you decide to try it, look at Tektro brake levers - they're the same levers that Cane Creek sells for more money. Also go with the inexpensive flexible cable housings (Shimano, etc.) - the expensive Yokozuna Reaction cables are too stiff to work with cross levers. Nishiki is a class bike - you should definitely rebuild it.

You could also go upright with it - here is a great place to get build ideas: http://www.rivbike.com/ Check out the Staff Bikes and look at the components that make up the cockpits.
That is where I got the idea for the moustache cockpit on my Raleigh. It uses road levers in a horizontal position - plus it has a wide grip position on the bars for control. This is an all-day-long cozy bike.
The long stem is a Nitto Technomic, 225mm quill length, with 160mm above the headset, and only a 60mm reach.
But you can go even more upright with Albatross bars, MTB brake levers, and B68 saddle.
Most of the components at Rivendell are competitively priced. If you find parts you like you can also shop around.
What I do is make a list, google each one, find the best price and make 3 or 4 orders from different shops.
Tree fort Bikes, EBikeStop. Outside Outfitters has great prices, but slow shipping. Still, we bought a big order from them including brake levers, Nitto Noodle bar, SRAM hollow-pin chain, Miche cassette and custom gears.
But even using your bars, you could bring the bars higher and closer with a Techomic or Dirt Drop stem.

You can do the cockpit and plumbing, and take it into a bike shop for them to do the bearings in the hubs, bottom bracket and headset. A new chain is always a good idea, and new jockey wheels (with bushings) on the rear derailleur. Jockey wheels are easy to replace with a screwdriver or allen wrench.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... nance.html

btw, here is where the Raleigh started - these are all the components that followed the bike from my college (and early employment) days (although I used to ride skinny Unicanitor saddles). At my age I could no longer get comfortable on the long-reach stem and long-reach Maes bend bars - it produced cervical strain.
The rear derailleur went to the Moser and the crankset went to the Fuji.
If you look again at my Moser, you'll notice it's a much more relaxed position than this, with shorter-reach stem and compact short-reach road bars.
Last edited by bdhold on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm a thinking you're upwards of 6' - 6'4" with that Raliegh. Which are also class bikes by the way... :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I'm 6'3", but I have short torso and long limbs. It's a 64 cm (25") frame - so is the Moser. You need 36" inseam to fit these. But the short torso is also why I need the seat forward and the bars back.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My young girls Really liked the pics. Saw a little glint in my youngest's eye now I'm afraid her bike will be in a state of repair when I get home from the field.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

just so she knows it's about putting it together, not taking it apart. :mrgreen:

What we did was take an old handmade frame - light, comfortable and designed to last generations - and built it into a new modern bike. Made it into just what we need, and built it for a fraction of what a bike on a modern handmade frame would cost.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Ah heck, just to bump this thread again, :wink: here are some pics of my main rides:
First , my everyday commuter/EOTWAWKI bike:
Next, my single speed rigid mountain bike:
I tend to like my tires a little fatter than yours, Bulldog, although I am building up what amounts to a cyclocross bike. Love that Raleigh!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

thanks, and nice bikes.
I like the largest tires that fit, but I did drop from 32 to 28 on my Raleigh to fit my Honjo fenders - the 36mm fenders have been on permanent sale at Velo Orange, half-price of any other Honjos. Skinny tires don't have lower rolling resistance, because the contact patch changes from a sphere to an oval, but they are more aerodynamic. My daughter's bike has Challenge Strada open tubulars - they hand-build tubulars on a linen-fine polyester casing, then cut them open and add kevlar beads. They call them 25mm, but they measure 28. No compromise for control, comfort and speed, and they will handle any surface she will ride, gravel and dirt trails - just not knobby terrain.

I hope you caught that Challenge sale last month for your cross tires - all their top-line tires were 25% off, as an introductory tease. I outfitted and spared both my Moser and her Fuji.

About the Raleigh, time about is fair play. She did amazing touch-up paint for me and gold-tipped all the lugs.
Image Image
she also did touch-up on my Moser frame.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Last edited by bdhold on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

One of my students had a passion for racing cycles. He investigated what bike mechanics do. The school even arranged a part time job with a local bike shop. Soon he discovered that there was a great demand for bike mechanics on the racing circuits. Eventually he enrolled in a proper course and is now working towards his qualification.

I know the below link is New Zealand but I am sure there is similar in your part of the world..

http://www.bikemechanic.co.nz/

Cheers
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Good gracious, turn your head, don't look, another money pit of a hobby! My one mountain bike should be more than enough....
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I built my go-fast Moser because when my riding buddy bought a new touring bike, he stripped his Mercian back to racing trim, and he was beating me up trying to keep up with him on my Raleigh. We try to make a weekly ride - don't always - but we burn from 1600 to 2700 calories. It's fun, semi-competitive, and it keeps my metabolism up all week (as long as I don't eat everything in sight for the next two days). No question you can justify a week's worth of bikes if you want. My daughter and I each have hill-climbing-useful-load-haulers, and now we each have go-fast road bikes.
This bike will make grocery runs for her in college. There's still 3 inches of seatpost and the stem is all the way down. Just change the tires back from soft, supple high-pressure road tires to bulletproof low pressure city tires, so she will never have to worry with them.

I only foresee one more bike in my not-so-near future, it will be a Rivendell, the Last bike - go anywhere, do anything.

No question you can spend an awful lot of money in this, and you can spend a lot of money resurrecting an old steel bike. But if you think about what you want to do with it, you can take your old steel bike and make it into a comfortable useful ride. More or less the goals and priorities:
1) Comfortable riding position
2) Biggest tires the frame will clear for suspension and ride quality
3) Optimize gearing for versatility in your terrain
4) Racks and bags for useful load-hauling
5) Fenders for seasonal utility

Where else can you burn 1500 calories and enjoy it?

these are 9-degree switchbacks - 3 sets on this trail and only this one set has rails. You can't go down these without excellent brakes, and you can't climb them without an escape (bail-out) low gear
Last edited by bdhold on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KiwiKev wrote:One of my students had a passion for racing cycles. He investigated what bike mechanics do. The school even arranged a part time job with a local bike shop. Soon he discovered that there was a great demand for bike mechanics on the racing circuits. Eventually he enrolled in a proper course and is now working towards his qualification.
I know the below link is New Zealand but I am sure there is similar in your part of the world..
http://www.bikemechanic.co.nz/
Cheers
My best friend in high school was a bike shop manager and mechanic most of his working life. He got laid off about 10 years ago, (shop closed due to owner retiring and Ben couldn't afford to buy it), spent over 5 years looking for other work... If he coulda said he had more to due with the managing, the trade-craft might've crossed over into other fields. He was smart enough, just a little niave, as the owner kept tellin' him that he'd sell him the store and finance it when the owner was ready to retire... then reneged on that deal... Mechanicin' is fine... but you have to add to the skillset to remain employable.

He had feet issues that made walking uncomfortable, but riding didn't bother him... our first long ride was to the Colorado River at Earp, CA from Westminster, CA a 245 mile trek thru the desert. The three of us were 15, 14 & 13. No adult supervision. After an overnite campout in Twentynine Palms, we were up at dawn and water-skiing that afternoon. We didn't intend to make it an gruelling event, and we didn't... a couple of the climbs were tough, the hardest being the climb from Cabazon, CA up to 29 Palms. The next year he got a car and bike riding was in the past... until I was in the Navy and my car broke-down... 22 mile commute took me an hour, with a cigarette break!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Griff wrote: My best friend in high school was a bike shop manager and mechanic most of his working life. He got laid off about 10 years ago, (shop closed due to owner retiring and Ben couldn't afford to buy it), spent over 5 years looking for other work... If he coulda said he had more to due with the managing, the trade-craft might've crossed over into other fields. He was smart enough, just a little niave, as the owner kept tellin' him that he'd sell him the store and finance it when the owner was ready to retire... then reneged on that deal... Mechanicin' is fine... but you have to add to the skillset to remain employable.
The goal here has to be owning a business. I think a lot of young riders get lost in the competition and then find themselves bike shop mechanics. Bike shop owner has to be the goal. Bicycling is the largest sports/entertainment market in the world.
While the competition is steep, the formula for success is building a riding club around your shop so it becomes a social center with a loyal client base. This is where hiring those young riders and mechanics also fits in.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I really admire your attention to detail. The bikes are beautiful because of that and your passion to get them right. My bike is buried in the shed and is a rat bike and I can not fathom turning it into a work of art. Kudos for the entire enterprise.

I will get the bike running when the sea boat is comissioned. But I don't have the detail gene. Thanks for the, goal post I guess is the way I see it!!

Grizz
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

bulldog1935 wrote:...While the competition is steep, the formula for success is building a riding club around your shop so it becomes a social center with a loyal client base. This is where hiring those young riders and mechanics also fits in.
the formula for a Fly Shop is leasing real estate in the shopping district of a tourist town and devoting at least 70% of the floor space to women's accessories.

I could be a heck of a businessman if I didn't have so many ex-wives. :mrgreen:

Also guys, the internet is an incredible resource. You can google diagrams and instructions for anything you want to take on, and find you-tube videos to help you figure out the details.
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... m-brackets
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Step one is in the works, dropped off the bike at the local shop today to have the front wheel relaced, and for a $150, they'll clean and regrease everything, replace all four cables.

I'm having them replace the front rim also, as the grommets in the aluminum are rusted also. Why the front wheel rusted and not the back, I don't have a clue, but Ayara wheels, and originial to the bike. Ordered the bars like you have, new caliper and chain. Gears and derailers are still superb, just need cleaning and reoiling. Now to hunt up Nishiki "International" decals in gold, and new seat. I might need a new bar riser, but I'll wait until the new bars come in and I can see how it fits. Now I need a mount that can hold the bike in a vertical mount by the bars and seat so it doesn't "swing in the breeze) between the cab and trailer... although, as much as this is costing, I might not want to leave it outdoors!

Drat Bulldog, why did you start this thread!!!??? :twisted: :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

If you went with moustache bars, you'll almost certainly need a taller stem with less reach - Nitto Dirt Drop is a great choice, or a Nitto Technomic Deluxe 60mm stem.
Sorry I didn't mean to be a pain

Here's the decal store
http://www.velocals.com/servlet/StoreFront
didn't find a Nishiki link, but search turns up many choices
the 2-mil decals are just fine

pickup?
Check this out
Almost worn mine out now, and will replace it, because I got more than my money's worth from it

they make one for full-size and another for mid-size pickups
https://www.google.com/search?q=softrid ... 00&bih=799

or are you talking about a tractor?
you can google anything
https://www.google.com/search?q=semi+bi ... e&ie=UTF-8

http://www.truck-drivers-money-saving-t ... -bike.html
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, need mount for a tractor. Need something sturdy and lockable. Here's a pic of a bike very much like mine, Maroon International, equipped the same, but in far better shape. Also newer, as mine has clamps for cable routing and gear controls, no bosses for mounting anything. But it's a good handling frame, agile for as tall as it is, yet easily controlled at speeds... at least as far as I remember.
I'll get a picture of it when it's done.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

very nice - looking forward to the result.
If you have downtube shifters, this is a neat barend pod set that Rivendell sells that will take your shift levers - I used these on my Raleigh.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/sh13.htm

and would likely need cable stops to go on the downtube in place of the levers
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/cad3.htm
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

-------dupe post
Last edited by Streetstar on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

One of my favorite subjects --- i'm one of those "weirdos" who even likes keeping up with the Tour de France too (which starts in a couple of days)

some pics from my attic -----

This is the bike I want to do a moustache bar conversion on -- being a DeBErnardi, I had it outfitted with all Campagnolo parts when originally built, but race bikes get scavenged for parts over time, and the bike is missing a few things. but classic Italian steel with some nice tubular tires on it makes for a sweet ride

nothing too special about this Cannondale, but I was on a work assignment in Baltimore a couple years ago that was supposed to be 3-4 weeks. It stretched into 6 months so I had to ride something --- got this very nice, well preserved late 80's bike for low coin from Craigslist there and it fulfilled my riding needs for a few months ----- This was a competitive bike (and still is) - I understand completely people purchasing an entry level bike, deciding its not for them, then putting it up, but somebody spent a lot of money on this thing back then --- I doubt it had more than 1000 miles on it -------- sadly, it did its job for me, but I like to ride my modern stuff a lot more so its just sitting again waiting for another "rebirth"

Alas, this one will never get ridden again --- the design configuration was banned by the UCI , plus i'm older and not as flexible now ---- this one is destined to hang over the bar in the house i'm building

This ones for NEMHED, since it looks like he likes to play in the dirt (love the rear triangle on your purple single speed btw - beautiful) --- Yeti is still around but they'll never make anything like this again - everything is either fully suspended or has 29" wheels it seems . This one was last used in 2001 at a UCI cross country race in Vail . I had used the bike off and on for 5 years, but mountain bike riding wasn't my primary focus, so I didn't put too many miles on it except in competition.
This one is destined to be another wall hanger, after my first ride on a dual suspension bike that was properly set up, I swore off the rigid bikes for good -- but they are pretty to look at

Good luck with the Nishiki resto Griff , -- the bicycle can be a wonderful way to keep the doctor at bay ----- if its at the mechanics, you mightask their opinion of the gears on it -- if its been a while since you've ridden it, sometimes the gears we could push when we were younger , don't agree with older knees . I used to take pride in only using "corncob" gearsets (also called straight block gears -- rear gears with only one, maybe 2 teeth difference with each gear change , 11-19, 12-21 and the like ) - now I gladly use gears so low, they look at home on a mountain bike (12-27's, 13-28's etc.)
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Question: I see the bar end shifters and wonder about the twist grip shifters. I bought them for my bike but never installed them. Although I would like to.

I rode a bike with twist grips and really liked them, but you pros haven't mentioned them. Please compare and contrast...

..Grizz
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote:Question: I see the bar end shifters and wonder about the twist grip shifters. I bought them for my bike but never installed them. Although I would like to.

I rode a bike with twist grips and really liked them, but you pros haven't mentioned them. Please compare and contrast...

..Grizz
The "Grip shift" shifters is good stuff Grizz, if you have straight (mountain bike style) handlebars ------- I don't think anybody's mentioned 'em here because bulldog mainly started off the thread talking about road and randonneurring bicycles (I don't even know what randonneur means exactly --- I think its a fancy word for wine-country touring) ----

but anyway ----- Bulldogs Raleigh fits the definition of what I call a "Randonneuring bicycle" -- because its something you can do a little bit of everything with --- cruise slow with the family, hit an occasional wine & cheese tasting, -obviously get some exercise, but also would not be out of place on a club ride going 20mph with guys in a paceline on a 75 mile weekend cruise -------

Anyway, the bar diameter of those does not work with mountain bike style shifters , and oftentimes, not even with modern road bike shifters -- the ones on the bar end are convenient and work pretty good

GripShift was a revelation in mountain bike circles in about '92 or '93 --- it was an American based company (SRAM) who had a cool idea--- and it worked well enough to land a staggering blow to Shimano (the dominant bicycle component manufacturer in the civilized world _, they also make a little bit of fishing tackle from what I hear too :wink: )
I myself used the Gripshift stuff from '92- '95 until Shimano came out with another system that worked better --- it was a trigger style shifting mechanism that worked so much better , in a few years Gripshift was forgotten about in competitive circles, ---- but it thrived everywhere else - commuter bikes, hybrid bikes, things like that -- meanwhile, SRAM sold so many units for makers of hybrid or commuting bikes, they developed the capital to take another stab at the racing scene . Their stuff is good and has been used at the highest levels,

--- Gripshift is being used again --- 15 years ago, there seemed to be a race to fit the max amount of gears possible in one bicycle --- for the longest time , a "10 speed" was standard -- but the mountain bikes from that era were fitting 24, 27 and 30 speeds in there --- there has been a quiet revolt the last few years of riders wanting to get back to the basics, and we have a lot of guys only running one chainwheel up front (as opposed to 3) -- and even more using 2 up front with a handful of gears out back -- called either a 2x9 or a 2x10 drivetrain. And here is where Gripshift flourishes again --- because it is not as sensitive as Shimano stuff to gearing changes and is easier to stay in adjustment ---- twisting a grip to shift is also a natural motion that is ergonomically pleasing

So Grip shift is cool ---- LOL --- and probably more than you wanted to know about the evolution of gripshift and its competitors, but what the hey ---- most of us gun enthusiasts have heads full of seemingly "useless information" on all kinds of things --- bicycles is one of those topics for me - :lol:
----- Doug
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Rode 26 miles in light rain at the end of a monsoon yesterday - of course on the Raleigh. We were on a normally crowded greenway path that crosses half of San Antonio - we came across only 3 or 4 pedestrian couples and only 3 other biking couples.
Senderos had become temporary clearwater creeks crossing the greenway path and I forded right along (OK, forded them on wheels at a walking pace). Compared to our normal summer heat, it was a joy riding in the near-chill air. The fenders made it great, but everything about the set-up of the bike contributed to the ride. I was actually disappointed when the rain ended and the water film left the concrete path. The wildlife that showed up to drink from the path was cool - mostly roadrunners and cottontails, but also does with young fawns, doves, toads and skinks. But it remained nice and cool for the rest of the ride. Did stop twice to ring out my socks. Rando.
Randonneur ("roamer") is a basically a self-contained century rider - all your tools, spares, and provisions - if you don't get home, it's your own fault.
The name has also become synonymous with the big front bag - mine is 11 liters.
I carry a spare fold-up tire, poncho, lights, batteries, cable lock, ball cap, and there's still 6 liters for pastries - its really handy for carrying layers on winter rides.
Don't have a photo of my tool roll unrolled, but it has a full complement of metric wrenches, allen wrenches, chainring wrench, tire wrenches, spare fasteners, two tubes and flat kit.

This Moser is wall decoration at my local bike shop.

you can see the bottom of the wheels just above their heads and the Francesco poster
btw, Francesco rode the bikes, Aldo built them.
The DeBernadi would make a great upright with a moustache cockpit. Massive drops on those pista bars (Cinelli 66?)
Last edited by bdhold on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Doug

Not more than I wanted to know, just right. I have a Raleigh Technium with knobby tires and 3 chainrings. The bars are straight and the lever shifters are just inside the grips, and a pain to use. I think the bike could be rebuilt and would pretty nice, but I don't have a nice place to ride so I suppose it will just be a rat bike. I don't have much attention to detail past plain utility.

I had the second 10 speed bike at the high school where I was incarcerated, used it all over the Phx area, even ticking off cars in the short downtown city blocks, beating them to the lights because I could hear the switches. I am easily amused I guess.

Grizz