45-70 and Annealing?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

45-70 and Annealing?

Post by Eye-Bite! »

At what point should one consider Annealing a case? New out of the box or after the first time they are fired or....? I'm just trying to figure out in advance how I should approach this if at all. New to the 45-70 Govt. cartridge. Load mostly Handgun shells etc. Thank You for any and all input. Big John.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45-70 and Annealing?

Post by Tycer »

When they start splitting? The first hundred I bought are the Winchester branded nickel ones. I've hotrodded them and mousefarted them and cleaned them and not cleaned them. They have the nickel about worn completely off and I've never had one split. My Starline ones will probably last forever. I doubt I will ever need to anneal them.

Bottleneck cases? I saved a real old batch of Win 30/30 that was splitting by dipping the necks in hot lead until the web was too hot to hold then dunked in water.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

LET ME SEE......YOU BETTER HURRY UP AND GET READY PDQ......IN SIXTY YEARS OF SHOOTING MY OWN HANDLOADS I HAD TO ANNEAL ONE LITTLE BATCH OF BRASS AND THAT WAS SOME NORMA 257ACKLEY/IMP IN 1968......NOW HEAR THIS !!!! BRASS IS AN EXPENDABLE COMMODITY/PRODUCT, WHEN IT STARTS TO CRACK YOU SHIQCAN THE ENTIRE BATCH AND BUY NEW.....YOU HEAR ME...NEW !!!!! THINKL I AM KIDDING, CONSIDER THIS....IF THE NECKS ARE SPLITTING THE CASE HEADS ARE AS HARD AND BRITTLE OR EVEN MORE SO....GUESS WHAT HAPPENS THEN RIGHT BY YOUR ONLY TWO GODGIVEN HANDS AND EYEBALLS........I THOUGH YOU'D SEE IT MY WAY....
CARRY ON.....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

And there you have it from a true authority.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

I started annealing my cases when I noticed it took different amount of effort to seat bullets. Once I annealed them the effort to seat the bullets was very consistent.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tycer wrote:And there you have it from a true authority.

Yes. I could not agree more with Terry or what you wrote. :D --------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Dewight wrote:I started annealing my cases when I noticed it took different amount of effort to seat bullets. Once I annealed them the effort to seat the bullets was very consistent.
Thanks, Not interested in repairing brass as much as I am interested in making it last. Anyway, annealing is a part of reloading that is an accepted practice. Even some of the ammo manufacturers use it on their product. As I see it, it's up to the individual to decide when to call it quits and dispose of the suspect case as no longer viable. In my original post on this subject... What I'm asking is, when or what is the point where Annealing should be considered? Is there a rule of thumb there?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think it is an interesting question though. Sometimes a batch of brass or loaded rounds just seems brittle from the start.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

AJMD429 wrote:I think it is an interesting question though. Sometimes a batch of brass or loaded rounds just seems brittle from the start.
Absolutely, and I have some now. Brass may be Affordable or cheap to some, Just not me and it's scarce as Hen's teeth at the moment for many calibers which sheds a new light on the subject.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have been in TERRY`S camp on this even before I knew there was a TERRY.
Good advice, period... :wink:
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have been in TERRY`S camp on this even before I knew there was a TERRY.
Good advice, period... :wink:
So if you went a bought some new brass ( as is the question here) and found the necks to be unsatisfactory you would throw it out (the new brass) and just buy more?
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Terry Murbach wrote:BRASS IS AN EXPENDABLE COMMODITY/PRODUCT, WHEN IT STARTS TO CRACK YOU SHIQCAN THE ENTIRE BATCH AND BUY NEW.....YOU HEAR ME...NEW !!!!! THINKL I AM KIDDING, CONSIDER THIS....IF THE NECKS ARE SPLITTING THE CASE HEADS ARE AS HARD AND BRITTLE OR EVEN MORE SO.
Hate to be the only one in this camp, but here I am. TERRY, YOU'RE WRONG! Necks get brittle because they get worked by expanding when fired and then being resized. If you have a nice chamber in your gun the necks don't expand much and they go a long time before becoming brittle and your "buy new" advice is not unreasonable. But if you have a not-so-good chamber and the necks expand a bunch with each shot, they can become real brittle real fast. I have a 284 Win that, if I didn't anneal the necks, would last maybe 3 shots. 284 Win is not a cartridge you want to be buying brass for on any regular basis. And I have a 25-20 that I anneal every 5 shots or so to prevent losing the cases to neck splits. Those are the only two I have that I anneal for, but annealing is a good way to extend brass life for those rifles you own that are oversize in the neck area of the chamber.

And been my experience that once neck splits appear it is too late to anneal -- you're going to loose the whole batch if it has the same loading history.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

earlmck wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:BRASS IS AN EXPENDABLE COMMODITY/PRODUCT, WHEN IT STARTS TO CRACK YOU SHIQCAN THE ENTIRE BATCH AND BUY NEW.....YOU HEAR ME...NEW !!!!! THINKL I AM KIDDING, CONSIDER THIS....IF THE NECKS ARE SPLITTING THE CASE HEADS ARE AS HARD AND BRITTLE OR EVEN MORE SO.
Hate to be the only one in this camp, but here I am. TERRY, YOU'RE WRONG! Necks get brittle because they get worked by expanding when fired and then being resized. If you have a nice chamber in your gun the necks don't expand much and they go a long time before becoming brittle and your "buy new" advice is not unreasonable. But if you have a not-so-good chamber and the necks expand a bunch with each shot, they can become real brittle real fast. I have a 284 Win that, if I didn't anneal the necks, would last maybe 3 shots. 284 Win is not a cartridge you want to be buying brass for on any regular basis. And I have a 25-20 that I anneal every 5 shots or so to prevent losing the cases to neck splits. Those are the only two I have that I anneal for, but annealing is a good way to extend brass life for those rifles you own that are oversize in the neck area of the chamber.

And been my experience that once neck splits appear it is too late to anneal -- you're going to loose the whole batch if it has the same loading history.
First and foremost... Thank You for actually reading and answering my train of thought rather than.... well you know (Rant, Rave, Chastise (?)). I do have some new brass that is in bad shape from the factory. It seems a waste to just chuck-it. Again, Thank You for your Positive and Forward thinking to help me as well as others. Big John.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Annealing can help accuracy on the big black powder cartridges by making bullet pull consistent. Many BPRS shooters anneal just for that purpose.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
joec
Levergunner

Post by joec »

I anneal my new brass in 45-70 before I load it the first time. I also size it as well after that. I anneal again after 5 to 6 reloads and I'm getting about 20 to 30 times before replacing the brass.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

joec wrote:I anneal my new brass in 45-70 before I load it the first time. I also size it as well after that. I anneal again after 5 to 6 reloads and I'm getting about 20 to 30 times before replacing the brass.
Great!, Practical and Factual experience we all can learn from. Thank you, Big John.