Pictures of recent project.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Pictures of recent project.

Post by nemhed »

Slow day here today so I decided to post some pictures of a recent project a buddy and I completed last weekend. I realize these pictures may cause some of you to throw up because of the plastic content and lack of handrubbed walnut, but I love nearly ALL types of firearms. One thing I can not stand though is an all black rifle. I purchased a Ruger American Rifle in .308 this spring and my buddy had recently purchased a 30-30 carbine barrel and plastic stock set for his Contender. We decided to give DuraCoat epoxy finish a try in an attempt to resolve this all-black dilemma we had created for ourselves and here are the results:
Both stocks got a base coat of DuraCoat Magpul Flat Dark Earth. I used Krylon webbing spray in silver and black on my Ruger's stock then applied Duracoat Matte clear coat over everything. My Buddy only wanted to use the black webbing on his stock and also added some flat brown Krylon Fusion for additional shading before applying the clear coat. We were both very pleased with the results. The DuraCoat is very easy to work with and was applied with an airbrush. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are thousands of examples on the internet of the variety of finishes and colors possible with this stuff.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Pictures of recent project.

Post by Blaine »

I like it.... 8) 8) Nice work.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The Contender turned out great . Couldn't have picked better caliber either :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

Both look good!
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO they're both a damsight better looking than when they left their respective factories !

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like em. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like the patterning and the color on the Contender, but... either my monitor is off, or you have a 1970s pastel blue leisure suit thing goin' on on the Ruger bolt gun. :P :twisted: :shock:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Griff wrote:I like the patterning and the color on the Contender, but... either my monitor is off, or you have a 1970s pastel blue leisure suit thing goin' on on the Ruger bolt gun. :P :twisted: :shock:
Lol!! Definitely not pastel blue leisure suit, my parents stuffed me in one of those back in the 70's and took pictures, I'll never forgive them :lol: Seriously the flat dark earth looks different under different lighting conditions. The contender doesn't look that dark in real life. I think it's a great base color for anyone wanting to do a camo paint job. It's not as light as a coyote tan, and still not brown.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Both look real good. I don't like black bolt guns or shotguns either.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Good looking stuff.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MidwestTC
Levergunner

Post by MidwestTC »

Man, that Contender looks great. I bet it shoots as good as it looks.