SHOES

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

SHOES

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What shoes do you guys wear, that will keep your feet somewhat comfortable while standing walking on concrete for 8-10 hours at a time?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SHOES

Post by pwl44m »

Red Wings, no breakin neded, however when working in heat They're insoles don't breathe very good. I swapped them out for SASS insoles and everything was hunky dory,
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Merrell - lightweight, great support. Everything they make are built around hiking shoe frames - even their sandals

and I've also had 30 years of Redwings. If you need steel toes, Redwings, but for standing, walking comfort, nothing beats Merrells.
Last edited by bdhold on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Anything made by Redwing, lace up Irishsetter, pullon any of their boots will do for me. Hunt in them and work too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Redwing.
Florsheim Comfortech used to be great. Have not bought a pair in a decade.
Upgrade insoles helps. Never wear the same pair two days in a row. Use shoe trees or lay on their sides to dry.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Georgia Boot Romeo`s for everyday. I have four pairs. They work best for me. :wink:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

JerryB wrote:Anything made by Redwing, lace up Irishsetter, pullon any of their boots will do for me. Hunt in them and work too.

+1
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Keen, for everyday wear including the outdoors. danny
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Redwings if you have to wear boots but if you can get away with tennies, I recently bought a pair of New Balance 609's that are
the most comfortable shoes I think I've ever had.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Redwing. Only work boots I've bought for decades. But, be aware that quite a few of the models are now made off shore. :evil:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

What jeepnik said.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Whites Boots for me, my wife works at a power plant & needs steel toed boots
she tried several light weight pair that killed her by the end of the day
I said you need to try the Whites, but there so heavy she said, well long story short
she now has 2 pair, she wont be with out a pair while one is sent back to be resoled
I learned the hard way Have Whites Fix them!!!!

ollogger
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

jeepnik wrote:Redwing. Only work boots I've bought for decades. But, be aware that quite a few of the models are now made off shore. :evil:
Ditto.
Even their "offshore " models work good, just have to watch the sizing, (widths), for steel toe jobs. I think some of their boots are put together here, but use imported components. Some of their lasts are too narrow for me unless I size up. ie: my pinky toe crashes the edge of the steel toe cap. Have to go to an E or EE. When my back really acts up, I go to my old worn out Red Wing loggers for a day or two.
I also think they may make the boots for Carhartt too ??
Oh, I'd love to have another pair of Wescos, but not for concrete floors unless I had a lower heal, and I can't afford custom boots right now.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Merrill Ventilators. Good ventilation, thus the name, an issue for me after combat boots for years.

Good on concrete, I wore my first pair for a year of 8-10 hours on concrete six days a week and they're quite comfortable.

Add Superfeet insoles, they're even better.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I'll second Merrell shoes. Every one I've ever worn has been extremely comfortable. I've even got into their "barefoot" line of shoes lately, but that takes some getting used to. I hate wearing shoes, so when the weather permits I'm usually in flip flops when I'm not at church or in the woods. The barefoot shoes are the closest thing to actually being barefoot, but offer protection from concrete, stickers, etc. If you are looking for something with a little more support, I would recommend Merrell's regular line of shoes or hiking boots. Also for something with more support, I absolutely love my Danner boots, and I also have a pair of Bates boots. Both I can hunt in all day in the New Mexico desert, walking 5-10 miles a day, and my feet don't hurt when I'm done.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Justin Techno Crepe for me. Comfort AND style! When I was a patrolman, I wore Rockies.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Vans slip-ons, probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever had, I think lightweight has a lot going for it. And no more laces. I have hiking boots too but you asked about shoes.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

New Balance, and be sure to get them in the 900 range so that the sole is hard or stiff enough to handle standing in one spot for 8 to 14 hours at a time. Also, get a good arch support. I work anywhere from 40 to 80 hours per week and probably move no more than 15 feet per day. I stand behind a computer most of the time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Keen brand, absolutely the best!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I wish I could still get the old issue-quality black Army boots....with a good insole, they were comfortable, and wore like iron....The jungle boots, too...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Merrells and Keens are six and half-a-dozen. Just bought my daughter Keen's to replace her outgrown Merrells.
My hands-down favorite wet-wading + hiking to get there boots were Keen Hood River. When they discontinued them I bought two extra pair.
I noticed this year Merrell Barefoot Water Rapid are about the same boots but without the high-tops.
I'm never out of Merrell's Lightweight sport sandals (Convertible, etc.), because they weigh nothing and their support is good enough for 20 miles of technical hiking, Also have a pair of Merrell Proterra laceups.

Don't confuse these with Teva.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Yet another for Merrell - ventilators summer, trio of their "Jungle mocs" in black, dark brown and nubuck rest of year (I imagine fine anyway for the northern 1/3 of country in summer or anywhere indoors air conditioned). They come in two sole types - one a simple waffle grid, the other with a finely grooved all terrain ttread. I've got both but like the simpler one for not picking up dirt, mud, dog (etc) muck nearly as much (or much essier to clean off). In snow country or in a lot of wet, the more complex tread works better, like snow tires with their small sipes. Easy pull on off all but makes lace ups obsolete. Especially since retired, with the discovery of these Merrells, the above two types can just about replace everything else in the closet for all but the most formal dress type "church/wedding" or job interview occasion. That and the requisite set of wear anywhere loafers.
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

Hey there 3leggedturtle! I would say Red Wings hands down! Spending ten hours a day on my concrete shop floor, they have served me well. Back when I was on job sites more, they were great whether I was working in the dirt or shingling a roof.

Take care, Mike
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Blaine, they still make them.

www.uscavalry.com or www.brigadequartermasters.com
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Most folks won't even try what works for me... it took a few years of using less and less support, but now I wear Merrel Barefoot hiking shoes. I stand constantly in my day job, without ever sitting down. No foot problems at all!

I used to have Plantar Fascitis, but that is long gone... licked it by stretching, and then by slowly progressing to less support. Now I hike in the most rugged terrain (mostly Linville Gorge) with Merrel Barefoot Trail Runners.

Next, I will transition to home made moccasins. (Much less expensive!) I make gear, including Mukluks for snow shoes... I've modified them for a summer moc with only a thin leather sole. They look almost good enough to wear with business casual!

- MacEntyre
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

My experience exactly mimics what bulldog1935 said

Wm
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Redwings

I have 4 pairs..... work, gunshows, shootin' matches, funerals.----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

MacEntyre wrote:Most folks won't even try what works for me... it took a few years of using less and less support, but now I wear Merrel Barefoot hiking shoes. I stand constantly in my day job, without ever sitting down. No foot problems at all!

I used to have Plantar Fascitis, but that is long gone... licked it by stretching, and then by slowly progressing to less support. Now I hike in the most rugged terrain (mostly Linville Gorge) with Merrel Barefoot Trail Runners.

Next, I will transition to home made moccasins. (Much less expensive!) I make gear, including Mukluks for snow shoes... I've modified them for a summer moc with only a thin leather sole. They look almost good enough to wear with business casual!

- MacEntyre
That's exactly what I wear most of the time. I had foot problems and went "barefoot" and never looked back. I have a pair of the Vibram five toe shoes as well. Hate the way they look, but they are even closer to barefoot than my 2 pairs of Merrells. Call me a hippie if you like, but I've always hated wearing shoes. Now the only time I wear any supportive shoes is when hunting (for warmth mainly) or when I'm out at the dancehall.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MrMurphy wrote:Blaine, they still make them.

http://www.uscavalry.com or http://www.brigadequartermasters.com
I've been out to the Clothing Sales Store on Ft Lewis....I'm not sure I care for the new desert issue boots...they have the two vent holes at the bottom, hence, not for this climate. I can't imagine why they would issue those for duty, except for hot/dry locales...Maybe I'll look again and see if there are any optional purchase items a bit more suited to this location....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

they must not be the ones I got in the Navy, because they had no arch support and I have tall arches.

Also would like to point out that people who have owned more than one of the above (for many years) may be somewhat more objective.