Original Marbles M5 Installed…

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Original Marbles M5 Installed…

Post by cshold »

It took awhile to locate an original Marbles M5 or Lyman no. 1 (JA) for the
Marlin 1893. I was able to procure the Marbles M5 & it was indeed pricey.

As ya’ll know I’m normally a carry handle user.

So just what the heck do I have here?

How do I use this thing & what am I supposed to be seeing when I look down
through this setup?

When I look through the aperture, the hole is huge. I see the entire front sight,
the end of the barrel and just about everything else in the world. :shock:

It’s like I’m not looking through a hole at all. There’s just this large very fuzzy almost nonexistent ring. Is the hole to big? Are my eyes not focusing at all anymore?

What the heck.
I’m not so sure I’m going to like this at all. :|

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Original Marbles M5 Installed…

Post by AJMD429 »

If you study the hole closely you will see that in the very center there is more light than at the edges. Your eye will naturally seek to place the front bead in the center of this light area if you let it. The secret is not to pay attention to the rear sight and let your eye do what comes naturally.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, you're seein' right. Put the front sight on the target and shoot. Do it at least twice more before either make an adjustment, or even look or an mpact. If you're doin' your part right, the sight is tight and the rifle is a shooter, you'll probably have a group. And, a better group them you'll anticipate. After you have a group, THEN adjust the sight to move your group. Repeat until your group is where you want it.

Your eye will usually center itself in that fuzzy ring. Don't force it, Let the force be with you Luke! :P :lol: :lol:

I usually go for 2-3 inches above where I aim. I like a 6 o'clock hold, so that usuallly puts my group aound the bull.
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

The Doc and Griff are dead on :D :D
Once you have got used to it you will love it :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I call that just about perfect.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Okay thanks Guy's, I'll give it a go.
One more question,
There's a guy on fleebay that makes and sells different sized apertures
for the old school tang sights. He has a 1" .045" hole target aperture
available. Would this be an advisable purchase for my sight?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Different aperatures for different lighting conditions. A smaller aperature will make for finer sighting, but again, will take some adjusting to. I have a coupke sets, but tend only one or two, depending on what I'm trying to do. LSS, can't hurt anything but your pocketbook!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

On my 10-22, I crawl up on the peep within a 1/2" and the insert removed. Seems as accurate that way as my other peeps staying back aways when shooting the heavier calibers. Proof will be in the shooting, your rifle looks like it will. Especially if it shoots 1/2 as good as it looks.

Edited: Just look thru the hole and concentrate on the front site. Your eye will automatically center the front sitem, without any conscious effort or need to.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

An interesting thing about the aperture sights is that even though your body will automatically "center" the front sight the same every time, my body "centers" it a bit differently. Yance and I shoot groups almost 2" apart horizontally at 100 yards from the same guns with aperture sights.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Casa,

Here's a link to a guy who sells tang sight accessories including replacement apertures. He may be the same guy you saw on Ebay:

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/main.sc

Your Marbles tang sight appears to be leaning a bit to the rear. It may be pushed out of the detent just a bit. Try pushing it forward. Or the detent may be worn some. I don't believe it has an adjustable detent such as a high quality vernier sight will have.

Aperture sights such tang and receiver sights are inherently more accurate than open sights for two reasons: they have a much longer sight radius and, more importantly, this sighting system uses only two optical planes -- front sight and target -- whereas open sights have three optical planes -- rear sight, front sight and target. A scope places rear sight, front sight and target in a single optical plane.

As an aside, good vernier sights have adjustable detents so that they can be adapted to different tang angles, and so that when a shooter is shooting at longer ranges, say 600 yards and farther, he can adjust the sight so that it leans slightly forward. Then when he elevates the rifle's muzzle, he will be looking through a truly circular rear aperture rather than one that is oval as a result of the greater angle of the barrel. Some globe front sights are made to sit an angle for the same reason, and these will often be found on rifles intended for Creedmoor shooting. Distant Thunder offers a very nice one.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks for the link Red, I’ll be placing an order. :)

The sight has a very strong spring and up is where it is.

Actually if it was leaning any further forward the bolt would hit it when cycling the action.
It just kisses now as it is.

The sight is centered between the bolt lugs. If there was windage adjustment, it wouldn’t work.

As mentioned, the Marbles M5 and the Lyman no. 1 (J) or (JA) were the tang sights made for use on the Marlin Model 1893.

Guess that explains why they cost so dang much :shock:
As the saying goes, rare as hens teeth. 8)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

you can even get adjustable aperture [ iris style ] rear sights....that way you can find what works for you, under various conditions.
cable
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

hfcable wrote:you can even get adjustable aperture [ iris style ] rear sights....that way you can find what works for you, under various conditions.
I love them for target work. I use no aperture for hunting to 150 yards.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Yes, a lot of deer hunter here in MN with close range ( under a hundred yards), just use the frame without an the screw in aperture.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

CAS,
What you have on the sight stem is a hunting aperture. Like you said, its like a ghost ring. Made for snap shooting on the bounding buck at 50 yards. That piece is removable and my guess is that the hole in the middle is about .100 in diameter. For finer work, get a couple of different eye pieces that are wider, some are 1/2" and the ones I use for silhouette shooting are 1".

Buffalo Arms has these screw on apertures or if they don't, I know Ken Bean has 'em. New ones will come with a .030 hole and used ones will have anything from that to .100 or so. When I was younger, I liked a .060 hole but now that size hole will give me "spider webs"........you think there are spider webs in the hole you are looking through.

I now like a .075 or .080 hole. Depending on the light, sometimes I can use a .060 to .070. Most all of my tang sights are fitted with 1" apertures and .080 holes and if I'm going hunting, I'll slip in a .100 aperture and a 1/2" eyepiece.------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894c

Post by 1894c »

the good news is that you're not going to need any lens cleaner, or scope caps, lens caps, or have to remember if the scope rings are tight, and you've reduced your weight by a pound---and what HOBIE said..."just about perfect"... :)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

30wcf wrote:the good news is that you're not going to need any lens cleaner, or scope caps, lens caps, or have to remember if the scope rings are tight, and you've reduced your weight by a pound---and what HOBIE said..."just about perfect"... :)

and mine have never fogged up in the cold or rain !
cable
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sixgun wrote:CAS,
What you have on the sight stem is a hunting aperture. Like you said, its like a ghost ring. Made for snap shooting on the bounding buck at 50 yards. That piece is removable and my guess is that the hole in the middle is about .100 in diameter. For finer work, get a couple of different eye pieces that are wider, some are 1/2" and the ones I use for silhouette shooting are 1".

Buffalo Arms has these screw on apertures or if they don't, I know Ken Bean has 'em. New ones will come with a .030 hole and used ones will have anything from that to .100 or so. When I was younger, I liked a .060 hole but now that size hole will give me "spider webs"........you think there are spider webs in the hole you are looking through.

I now like a .075 or .080 hole. Depending on the light, sometimes I can use a .060 to .070. Most all of my tang sights are fitted with 1" apertures and .080 holes and if I'm going hunting, I'll slip in a .100 aperture and a 1/2" eyepiece.------------------Sixgun

Thanks six, that's good solid info. to work with :)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Just ordered 3 apertures from Joe Hulett.

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/category. ... egoryId=13

Marbles 5/8” .40
Marbles 5/8” .50
Marbles 5/8” .94

I’m convinced I’ve got to have some meat around that little hole.

I snap the rifle to my shoulder; I’m really not even seeing any haze of a ghost.

The front sight isn’t even in the ring at times. I just can’t see it. (the ring)

If I can’t get this to come together with this tang sight I’m going to do the
unspeakable and mount an old vintage period scope.

I want so badly to deer hunt with this ol’ gal in the fall decked out in my vintage plaid.

That said, I will not compromise a clean ethical hunt & kill using a gun or sights that
aren’t going to work right or cause frustration for me.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

CAS,
Relax. You just need to become familiar with this style of sighting arrangement. Sometimes you have to mix and match to get the right combination. Variances include your age, light, length of barrel, style of front sight, color of front sight, aperture size, distance of aperture from your eye, and clarity even will change according to how much alcohol you slammed down the night before. :D

I keep on hand 40-50 extra front sights, and probably 25 different apertures of varying thread sizes and holes to suit whatever condition that may arise. Feel free to ask, I don't know much but I do know iron sights. :D -------------6

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:CAS,
Relax.
And take the ol' gal shootin'! Before you pass judgement, take it out and SHOOT it! Just as it is. If you have your cheek on the comb, sighted over the top of the barrel, you're more than likely looking thru the sight. IMO, you're over-thinkin' the thing. take you a piece of 8-½" x 11" blank piece of paper and set it out at 50 yards. Aim at the center and fire a shot. Repeat twice more... then look thru your spotting scope. Oh, wait, I already said that. All this talk, and no shootin'? You're missin' out on some fine fun! Seriously, go shoot that 3 shot group on a blank piece of paper, scan it and report back here... I'll just about guarantee that you'll be the one surprised at how close those 3 shots are! I'll predict, that if you quit thinkin' about the "ring", and just shoot, you'll have about a 1-½" group on that blank sheet of paper. Now, go prove me wrong. :twisted: :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Okay will do Griff :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I also figured out last evening my progressive lens glasses are a big
Part of the blurry problem. Tried a pair of my old glasses, night &day
difference. I won't be reading in the woods anyway 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff got it right. Words of experience :D Test that baby out and report back...................NOW!--------6

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

casastahle wrote:I also figured out last evening my progressive lens glasses are a big Part of the blurry problem. Tried a pair of my old glasses, night &day difference. I won't be reading in the woods anyway 8)
As that cohort of Tony's used to say... "Bada BING!" :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!