verticle rectangular aperture!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

verticle rectangular aperture!

Post by Nath »

Has anyone here tried or heard of a rectangular aperture for a peep sight.
Kinder wonder if it would give a little more room for estimated hold on a shot!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Re: verticle rectangular aperture!

Post by Cimarron Red »

In BPCR silhouette shooting I use a vertical rectangular aperture for shooting the 385 meter turkey and a horizontal aperture for the 300 meter pig and 500 meter ram -- if the animals are on stands. I've found that if they are on rails the heavy black line of the rail tends to cause me to shoot lower. I had mine made by Distant Thunder Products at $12.50 each. The dimensions are .100" x .050", and they work well. I have no experience using them on game or anything aside from silhouettes. Here's a link to the custom inserts from Distant Thunder:

http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPag ... eSheet.htm

I see that now DT shows the rectangular aperture among its offerings and prices it at $13.50. At the time I ordered mine, they did not list it. But I discussed it with Jim Kluskens before settling on the dimensions. These inserts have apparently become more popular.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Whew! :twisted: I had visualized suc an aperature in the REAR sight and coouldn't imagine any benefit! Such an aperature in the front sight makes sense.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know it isn't what you're referring to, but the Marble's Bullseye rear sight has two rings, and the intent I think is that the 'snap' shooter will use the thicker outer ring to be 'close' and the precision shooter will take the extra second to align into the center, hazier-appearing ring. I've used it for 'holdover' by putting the front bead in between the outer and inner ring, for really long shots.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cimarron Red wrote:In BPCR silhouette shooting I use a vertical rectangular aperture for shooting the 385 meter turkey and a horizontal aperture for the 300 meter pig and 500 meter ram -- if the animals are on stands. I've found that if they are on rails the heavy black line of the rail tends to cause me to shoot lower. I had mine made by Distant Thunder Products at $12.50 each. The dimensions are .100" x .050", and they work well. I have no experience using them on game or anything aside from silhouettes. Here's a link to the custom inserts from Distant Thunder:

http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPag ... eSheet.htm

I see that now DT shows the rectangular aperture among its offerings and prices it at $13.50. At the time I ordered mine, they did not list it. But I discussed it with Jim Kluskens before settling on the dimensions. These inserts have apparently become more popular.
Thanks Red and others. Red, are you meaning front sight inserts?
I was meaning a rear set up.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I see no value to such a rear sight but such a front apertures in conjunction with your standard rear aperture would be the thing when sized correctly for use on a particular target at a particular range. That's (or was) the thing is small bore.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Nath wrote:Has anyone here tried or heard of a rectangular aperture for a peep sight.
Kinder wonder if it would give a little more room for estimated hold on a shot!

Nath.
Yes, here's http://neergaard.org/shootingsight/WHIT ... 202011.pdf an article that claims:

1. Experimental results, backed by theoretical calculations and computer modeling, show an
M-16, using the proposed rectangular aperture in the rear sight, will increase depth of field on horizontal lines, to improve simultaneous focus on the top edge of the front sight, and the target by 30%, with no reduction in image brightness. Use testing by target shooters shows a decrease in group size averaging 15% when using a rectangular aperture.

2. A secondary benefit of the proposed rectangular aperture is a 30% increase in the horizontal field of view for a soldier on the battlefield for improved situational awareness while aiming.

Art Neergaard 'Cat Eye' (rectangular apertures) for Williams receiver sights are available here:

http://neergaard.org/shootingsight/products.html
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hi, Bruce,

I have no reason to challenge the information set forth in your links, but I'll stick with a round aperture in my rear sight.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Hi Red,

I am in the same boat, being perfectly happy with round apertures. It might be interesting to try one though.

There is also this hexagonal aperture designed to 'hit the target without focusing on the sight', which is what we do anyway:
http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/techspecs.php
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

The Hex sight is an interesting concept, Bruce, but the location of the rear sight on the barrel of the long gun gives up one of the greatest advantages of an aperture sight, a long sight radius. I'll take thirty to thirty-six inches, if you please.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Interesting gents. Many thanks. Might make my own when I have even less time!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

how about oval?

1. Experimental results, backed by theoretical calculations and computer modeling, show an
M-16, using the proposed rectangular aperture in the rear sight, will increase depth of field on horizontal lines, to improve simultaneous focus on the top edge of the front sight, and the target by 30%, with no reduction in image brightness. Use testing by target shooters shows a decrease in group size averaging 15% when using a rectangular aperture.

2. A secondary benefit of the proposed rectangular aperture is a 30% increase in the horizontal field of view for a soldier on the battlefield for improved situational awareness while aiming.

but he's talking vertical, right?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."