77/44's ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

77/44's ???

Post by Rusty »

After seeing AJMD's collection of .44's I got to thinking about the 77/44 and was wondering what kind of experience others have with them?
I've heard that longer bullets can't be used in them because of the magazine but I'm not sure that's much of a shortcoming given the results I've seen from the standard 240 grain rounds.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 77/44's ???

Post by Pete44ru »

I liked the one I had well enough, but in the end sold it because I preferred a faster-operating .44 for close work (under 150yds), like the Ruger 96/44 & the old reliable .44 Auto Carbine.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

By the way, Nuckols Gun Works in Staunton, VA has a Ruger 96-44 on hand as of this evening. Follow the link for contact info.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The twist on my 77/44 is 1:20, as is the twist of their 96/44 - so that, perhaps more than the magazine length, could enable heavier bullets to be used.

However, like many others, I've found that whitetails drop reliably and quickly with the good-old 240-grain softpoints around 1800 fps or so, so I figured "Why bother with heavier bullets for whitetail...???" :wink:

I haven't worked real hard to develop a load for my particular 77/44, so have settled for 3" or so groups at 100 yards since that is just fine for hunting deer, but I've wondered a bit just how accurate it could be. Briefly had a heavy-barrel Handi-Rifle in 44 Mag and it could be sub-MOA if I put enough scope on it to see that well, but I sold it to fund a 1894 in 357 Mag.

One annoying quirk between the 77/44 and 96/44 is that although the magazines are very similar, they are not interchangeable.

P.S. - just checked that link, Hobie, and I think someone already snatched up the 96/44... :(

(NOT that I needed another one...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Gunblast tested it with 320 grain flat point hardcast. Accuracy for most of his loads was 1.5" to 2.5" @ 100 yards. Wish I had the money for a 77/44. Looks nice.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

And it just got a little better... I was looking over the Ruger website and it just got a little bit better. I don't usually care for camo on a gun, but they are offering the 77/44 in stainless with a camo stock. That actually has some eye appeal. http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMag ... odels.html

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:And it just got a little better... I was looking over the Ruger website and it just got a little bit better. I don't usually care for camo on a gun, but they are offering the 77/44 in stainless with a camo stock. That actually has some eye appeal. http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMag ... odels.html
Here's the photo off the factory website:

They had one like that at the local toy store last fall, only in 357 Magnum...

...sure wish they'd make one up in 45 Colt...(or 32-20...)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
Rusty wrote:And it just got a little better... I was looking over the Ruger website and it just got a little bit better. I don't usually care for camo on a gun, but they are offering the 77/44 in stainless with a camo stock. That actually has some eye appeal. http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMag ... odels.html
Here's the photo off the factory website:

They had one like that at the local toy store last fall, only in 357 Magnum...

...sure wish they'd make one up in 45 Colt...(or 32-20...)
A 77/.357 is really the only hankering I've had for awhile.....Due to moronic gun laws, I like a rifle that I can put a mag. in and quickly exit the truck....Although, I can load one round pretty quick with a lever, and have a second in my hand or on the buttstock...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have an older (70+) friend that has a 77-44 and a 77-357 . He seems to like them both quite a bit .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I would think a 77/444 would be a much more interesting option if it had the right spin rate. and a normal box mag. You can always load down to emulate the 44 in all of its iterations, and still have the wherewithal for the other end of the spectrum...

... just sayin'
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Another interesting project would be a 77/44 rebarreled into 357 Bain&Davis. Maybe you could even use a 45 Colt case for a bit more powder capacity... It would be nice to have a handy short-action rifle like that approximating a 357 Maximum or thereabouts.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote:I would think a 77/444 would be a much more interesting option if it had the right spin rate. and a normal box mag. You can always load down to emulate the 44 in all of its iterations, and still have the wherewithal for the other end of the spectrum...

... just sayin'
I'd rather have a Siamese Mauser or a SMLE made into a 444 bolt gun !

Even saw some gunsmith fellow in Maine was redoing Mosin Nagants to 444 or 45-70 .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:Even saw some gunsmith fellow in Maine was redoing Mosin Nagants to 444 or 45-70 .
I think I saw a YouTube of someone who made an Enfield into a 444 Marlin gun; anyway it was some similar-vintage bolt-action carbine. I'll bet it would be a thumper.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

6pt-sika wrote:
Grizz wrote:I would think a 77/444 would be a much more interesting option if it had the right spin rate. and a normal box mag. You can always load down to emulate the 44 in all of its iterations, and still have the wherewithal for the other end of the spectrum...

... just sayin'

Even saw some gunsmith fellow in Maine was redoing Mosin Nagants to 444 or 45-70 .
the SMLE 444 sounds like a winner.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

... just sayin'
I kind of think the 1:20 I
s a good twist. My .44 Handi has a 1:38 and it won't shoot anything over 270 gr. Very well.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AJMD429 wrote:The twist on my 77/44 is 1:20, as is the twist of their 96/44 - so that, perhaps more than the magazine length, could enable heavier bullets to be used.

However, like many others, I've found that whitetails drop reliably and quickly with the good-old 240-grain softpoints around 1800 fps or so, so I figured "Why bother with heavier bullets for whitetail...???" :wink:

I haven't worked real hard to develop a load for my particular 77/44, so have settled for 3" or so groups at 100 yards since that is just fine for hunting deer, but I've wondered a bit just how accurate it could be. Briefly had a heavy-barrel Handi-Rifle in 44 Mag and it could be sub-MOA if I put enough scope on it to see that well, but I sold it to fund a 1894 in 357 Mag.

One annoying quirk between the 77/44 and 96/44 is that although the magazines are very similar, they are not interchangeable.

P.S. - just checked that link, Hobie, and I think someone already snatched up the 96/44... :(

(NOT that I needed another one...)
It is NOT shown at the link you have to e-mail or call. The contact info is at the top of the page.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

... just sayin'

the SMLE 444 sounds like a winner.
Actually I am thinking a Ruger #1 of some configuration rebarreled might be an even nicer option . But that had nothing to do with a 77-44 or 77-357 .