Puma knife question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Puma knife question

Post by WCF3030 »

With all the knife making activity around the homestead, my F.I.L. brought out a knife he had bought 60 plus years ago while on a moose hunting trip in Canada. They had purchased a 1903 from the local hardware store for $29.95. I now have that rifle and it is one of the serial # rifles that had the dual tempering done too it. They then sportarized it and bought some 220gr bullets and headed North.
He would like to know anything about the knife, it use to have a stag handle.
Thank you!

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Puma knife question

Post by Terry Murbach »

IF MEMORY SERVES IT IS NOT ALL THAT OLD AND IS CALLED THE "WHITE HUNTER".

OF COURSE I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT I HAD FOR DINNER TODAY...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Terry Murbach wrote:IF MEMORY SERVES IT IS NOT ALL THAT OLD AND IS CALLED THE "WHITE HUNTER".

OF COURSE I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT I HAD FOR DINNER TODAY...
Thanks Terry.
A quick google search produced some info.
I'll have to check for a 5 digit number and possibly can find the date.
look on the left side of the hilt, on the front, for a stamped 5-digit number, which is a manufacture/build date/QC inspection code. If it has none, it was made between 1956 and late (3rd quarter) of 1964. Most say they're the BEST ones, overall materials and build quality. I have a code key I'll send with the sheath.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

In 1977, I had a part-time, Christmas Season sales job in the Sporting Goods Dept of a local department store - The store had an inventory of Puma knives (all 7 or so models ).

IIRC, The White Hunter sold back then for $25 MSRP.

That Christmas, I bought 2 Puma WH's, 2 Puma Bowie's, & 2 Puma Hunter's Pal's for Christmas presents for most of my friends & hunting buddies.

I got an employee discount (of course), spending about $85 for all 6 knives.

I only recently gave away the last knife - a Hunter's Pal - to my Cousin's Son, who had just made Eagle Scout.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I wanted a Puma White Hunter when I was a kid but they cost more than I could afford then, years later I found a copy made my the old German knife makers "Eye" it was used but in very good condition, for £25.00. I have seen brand new Pumas for £400.00.

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a White Hunter that I bought new in Germany in 67-68. I gave it to my dad for Christmas and he later gave it back to me when he quit hunting. Great knife but I don't think they were ever very popular.
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

WCF3030 wrote:With all the knife making activity around the homestead, my F.I.L. brought out a knife he had bought 60 plus years ago while on a moose hunting trip in Canada. They had purchased a 1903 from the local hardware store for $29.95. I now have that rifle and it is one of the serial # rifles that had the dual tempering done too it. They then sportarized it and bought some 220gr bullets and headed North.
He would like to know anything about the knife, it use to have a stag handle.
Thank you!

That is not a White Hunter. Looks more like a Puma Hunters Pal.

regards, Gerry.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

With all due respect, Gerry - the OP's knife is definitely a re-scaled early White Hunter, if you inspect the blade profile (including the heavy hammer shape on the back, just to the rear of the point) more closely.

Here's a Hunter's Pal, for comparison:

The HP's blade length is also only about 2/3's that of a WH's (4" vs 6" ), & I've never seen a HP with a factory/lined hole for a wrist thong.

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

The Puma "White Hunter" was a style called a "Fahrenmesser." I think that translates roughly as "traveler's knife" or "voyager's knife".

Meant as a "do-all" camp knife, so not perfect for any single task, but OK for most, including defending yourself when in dire straits.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

When I first looked at the blade there was nothing on both side. I then rub in the lemon juice and up popped a faint markings of Hunter Pal some else then Germany.

Thanks for the help!!

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Change my user name to "Mr.Wrong" :oops: . :oops:

WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

Hey, everything you said made sense to me! :)

Gerry