Sight on 1886

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Sight on 1886

Post by jkbrea »

Saw this on gunbroker. If you scroll down to the left side of the rifle, the rear sight has a lever for adjusting the height I assume. I've never seen a rear sight like this. Anyone ever use one. If it's something common, I apolgize for my lack of knowledge. Cool rifle though.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =359009239
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Sight on 1886

Post by AJMD429 »

It may not be the exact kind I've seen before, but they are out there, and pretty nice. I wouldn't mind having one on any of my leverguns, particularly if I were shooting big slow bullets a long ways, so needed lots of elevation adjustment.

Several folks on the forum have sights like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Usually see them on 1895 Winchesters. Didn't know they put them 1886s.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The one on the gun shown is a modern copy of the Lyman No 21 sight. There was a later version, the No 38 I believe, that had screw adjustable windage, like later receiver sights.

The Lyman 21's and 38's were used on 92's and 94's as well.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Now you know what a " climbin' Lyman" is.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

http://762precision.wordpress.com/produ ... -21-sight/

http://www.providencetoolcompanyllc.com/products.html

They are great sights - I just ordered another for my Browning 1895. One size works for 1886s and 1895s and another for 1894s and 1892s. They also have them for Marlins, Lightnings, and their Peabody rifles. The Lyman 21 was first designed for 1895s in 1895 because the long '95 bolt knocked over tang sights.

Likely the rifle in the auction was previously drilled for a Lyman sight.

They can be used also to cover up holes/screws from side scope mounts, and use the same spacing/threading as original Lyman sights, so are a drop-in fit on rifles already drilled for Lyman sights.