Three powders for 99% of loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Three powders for 99% of loads?

Post by shooter »

JohndeFresno wrote:Malamute, I have been considering 3031, too. It's know to be great for the .30's and there are some decent loads (I believe) for the .45-70 as well.
I've played with several rifle powders and tried to use more 'specific to caliber' powders to work up loads for different stuff I own. I keep coming back to 3031 for just about every application for my rifles. For some reason it shoots more accurately for me in everything I have. I have tried Reloader 7 for the 45-70, but went back to 30301. I tried Varget and other powders for the .243, 7mm-08, .223, but went back to 3031 because I had better accuracy results. It's not the hottest powder, but it is more than adequate for 99% of applications. To me, consistent good accuracy with adequate velocity is more important than decent accuracy at a higher velocity, and 3031 provides that for me.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
91B40
Levergunner

Post by 91B40 »

I'll bite...231, 2400, 748
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

JohndeFresno wrote:
El Chivo wrote:IMR 4227 and H4895.

4227 has been my most accurate for all pistol and reduced rifle loads, and H4895 for hotter rifle loads.

I was also using SR4759, but 4227 beats it for accuracy. If you consider it works for all pistol and rifle shooting out to 200 yards, it could be the only powder I'd ever need.

Holy Cow I'm almost out.
Hmmm... gotta look into this 4227!!
Good luck John, gotta find some first.

I see it as very similar to 2400 but cleaner with more complete burning. And some use 2400 in reduced rifle loads too.

Also the man at Hodgjjjdon told me it was essentially an "Extreme" powder like their H line, virtually impervious to temperature variations. So it's a good SoCal powder.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Old Savage wrote:If I was going to consolidate powders I would go with a fast pistol and slow pistol and fast rifle and slow rifle for four powders not three.
yeah but your slow pistol and fast rifle can be the same powder.

And since I don't see the need for a fast pistol powder (unless it's for economy) I have two powders.

Although I did buy a third Redding trickler when they went on sale last time. And it's not like you can wear them out. Maybe I will need a slow-ER rifle powder someday.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

JohndeFresno wrote:
COSteve wrote:Don't see the point of the question.
Steve,

You won't see me advertising a lot of what I do. But it should suffice to say that I sincerely suspect that in my lifetime I will see a government so intrusive and controlling that I might have to make arrangements to pack up and go - somewhere - with my family. Or guard the home front with what I have, when the local store and Internet sales of components are choked out by draconian regulations. There are already several new bills pending.

I started reloading during the years of one particular Administration that was decidedly anti-gun, a while ago, for that reason. That is, I learned to reload from a survival point of view, just as I have studied other things - to be a bit more self sufficient. I have not yet really had the time to spend the hours at the range to make a perfect load for every caliber I shoot; but I enjoy my time there when I can. And the bullets do tend to travel down the barrel correctly.

And my vision was 20-20. Not too long after after I started reloading, there were those ridiculous "gun-drop" tests, requiring a separate test with paperwork and expense for each and every barrel length or even finish of the same exact handgun, before it was deemed legal in my state. It worked, and many handguns are not sold here, now, due to the trouble and expense that the factories did not want to deal with. More cleverly worded laws are coming. 'Nuff said.

I started gathering components before this latest 2 or 3 year (?) crunch - I saw it coming, too. But I don't think it wise to say, "See, I have such-and-such quantities of so-and-so stored up for a rainy day." I just like to plan and see what others think, then act. I use a pretty wide variety of powders, for the same reasons you stipulated. But I'm working on a list for a few essential ones.
I agree, plus I HATE trying a powder and not liking it, either how it shoots or how it handles, and then having to use the whole thing up, it's like wasting time and components.

I live in an apartment and don't want to stock up too much. Another reason this shortage is a bad thing. I think if I can't find the powders I want, I'll just hold off on shooting.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The fast pistol powder was based on the autos. I take theotherbapproachnand have tried to be able to use any powder. El Chivo, if you have any you don't want I will be happy to help you out. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GaCop
Levergunner

Post by GaCop »

Reloader 15

Varget

IMR 4198
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

After doin' a bit of research, if we only consider smokeless, I could get by with 3 powders, RedDot (or Clays) for pistol and shotgun, CFE223 for small caliber rifle and AA5744 for the big bores. That only leaves one cartridge in my safe that I couldn't load.

But doggoneit.... ain't variety the spice of life?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Old Savage wrote:The fast pistol powder was based on the autos. I take theotherbapproachnand have tried to be able to use any powder. El Chivo, if you have any you don't want I will be happy to help you out. :)
Well I used up all the Trail Boss and the H4198, right now I have only my favorites. But I may try to load for .243 later on so may try some other rifle powders.
But doggoneit.... ain't variety the spice of life?
Well Griff, maybe with women, but for loads, the less confusing the better.

(OS - pics please)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well GaCop - welcome and you could probably just pic Varget or RL 15.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GaCop wrote:Reloader 15

Varget

IMR 4198
Good to see you post, brother! Welcome to the fire.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

El Chivo wrote: Good luck John, gotta find some first.
El Chivo, act now. Two to a customer:
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat100151
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

JohndeFresno wrote:
El Chivo wrote: Good luck John, gotta find some first.
El Chivo, act now. Two to a customer:
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat100151
already sold out - when did you post, 8 minutes ago?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! 4 pages and no one got it right..............until I showed up. :D

Bullseye

Unique

IMR 4895

All three are easily found about anywhere.

All three have tons of loading info.

All three are proven, unlike these newer powders. Ask Gene Stoner.

I can explain it all scientifically but its not worth the hour it would take for me to type it out. Just a couple things I will point out.

Ball powders are no where near as versatile as stick powders. Some ball powders require top loads and magnum primers. IMR 4895 will work in light or medium heavy loads from the .223 to the 458 mag.

If you know how to use Bullseye, you can load any pistol cartridge to make it work OK. With some cartridges, its what you need to make it work.

If I had to choose ONE powder, it would be Unique. And yes, I could safely push a 500 gr. bullet fast enough to comfortably kill a grizzly.

Someone go get John Taffin....I bet he would agree with me.-------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Sixgun wrote: Bullseye
Unique
IMR 4895

All three are easily found... tons of loading info... proven...[versatile] stick powders...
If I had to choose ONE powder, it would be Unique....
Very well thought out. I have fair stock in two of the above, and good stock in Unique. Unique is by far my favorite handgun bullet pusher. But I don't load up to melt the barrels.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And Six - you don't have it right either - you need a slow rifle powder. I guess I have to send you the update - Women of Last Week. :) Your brain is flamin', you don't know which way to go. :D

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

IMR4350
IMR4831
IMR4064
IMR8208
IMR4895
IMR3031
IMR4320
IMR4007
IMR4198
IMR4227
SR4759
SR4756
SR7625
Trail Boss

H322
H335
H4198
H4831
H4227
Varget
Benchmark
H110
BL-C2
H414
H380
H450
H4350

RL-7
RL-10x
RL-15
RL-17
RL-19
RL-22
Unique
Blue Dot

VV N-110
VV N-120
VV N-130
VV N-133
VV N-135
VV N-530

W296
WSF
WST
W748

XMP5744
XMR2015
AA1680
AA2230
AA2495
AA2520

Ramshot X-Terminator

I am sure there are some others I have that I left out . But I don't buy this 3 only BS . I like a selection myself !
So what if I have 6 different powders usable for the same application . Works for me !
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JohndeFresno wrote:Here you go, Brother 6 Point .

Don't be mistaken you are no brother of mine !

As I stated in the post above "I don't buy this 3 powder BS" .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Additional votes make up this updated list. That newer spherical Hodgdon CFE223 might be the powder to beat for rifles, with its reported anti-copper fouling properties and long list of claimed effective calibers.

Per Hodgdon, loadable calibers for CFE223:
17 Remington
204 Ruger
222 Remington
223 Remington
22 PPC
22-250 Remington
6mm PPC
6mm BR
243 Winchester
25-35 Winchester
250 Savage
257 Roberts
25WSSM
6.5mm BR
6.5mm Creedmoor
260 Remington
6.5mm Swedish Mauser
270 Winchester
7mm-08 Remington
30-30 Winchester
308 Winchester
8X57mm Mauser
338 Federal
375 Ruger
375 H&H
243 WSSM
223 WSSM
...although no .45-70. But Unique and 2400 can work for that big boomer.

UPDATED up through votes by "roundup" for Unique, Green Dot, H4895 (below).
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

H-110
IMR-3031
IMR-4064
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:And Six - you don't have it right either - you need a slow rifle powder. I guess I have to send you the update - Women of Last Week. :) Your brain is flamin', you don't know which way to go. :D

I'm waaaaaaiiiiiitttttttttiiiiiiinnnnnnggggg for the pics!---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Old Savage wrote:The fast pistol powder was based on the autos. I take theotherbapproachnand have tried to be able to use any powder. El Chivo, if you have any you don't want I will be happy to help you out. :)
I agree you need a fast pistol powder but my reasoning has nothing to do with autos. I like a fast powder for small game loads in larger cartridges and for the minuscule amount of powder it takes to load up medium loads. A little goes a long ways.

As for a slow rifle powder....... no need here, my longest rifle barrel is 18.5" long and I don't see myself ever going longer than 20" again.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I posted earlier, but it seems to be gone. Anyway, my three would be Bullseye, Unique, and IMR3031, and one more I forgot, that I don't want to give up, and that is 3F Blackpowder

However, I would still miss Winchester 231 and and also 2400, however, I pretty much quit 231 for Bullseye, and I guess I can give 2400 and just use Unique for my 44's and 45 Colt, but then again, I could also give up Bullseye for 231 and just use 231 for all of my pistol rounds except the 44 mag and 45 Colt and Unique would work there.

I guess possibly, I could give up both 231 and Bullseye, and just shoot Unique for all pistol rounds and 3031 for center fire rifle, and keep the 3F black powder for my flintlocks and Ruger Old Army
NRA Life Member, Patron
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

Unique, Green Dot, H-4895
Happy Trails!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

OK - Tallies closed and moving on. Unique and 2400 are clearly the most popular all around powders, with Black Powder making a substantial showing! Chart above was updated after "roundup" made the last submission. Thanks for the input!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

John..nope, need to put my 2 cents in...

Unique
H4198
H4895

Can load every cartridge I have (quite a few) with these powders, they are the only ones that can perform without general fear as to percentage of fill capacity of the case.