S&W Shield Recall Notice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

S&W Shield Recall Notice

Post by jdad »

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: S&W Shield Recall Notice

Post by AJMD429 »

One more instance of a firearm design with TOO MANY PARTS.

They keep trying to make them 'fool-proof' but it only makes more things potentially to break or go wrong, which can make them dangerous even in well-trained hands, let alone the 'fools' they apparently are designing them to be proof against... :roll:

Any handgun with more parts than a 1911 or a Ruger Speed Six makes me suspicious.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Doc's right, too many and too dainty parts that are too cute. from engineers who grew up gaming on computers instead of erector sets..
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Uhh..I'm pretty sure tha Shield has fewer parts than the 1911. This sounds like a manufacturing defect issue, not a parts count issue.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

K1500 wrote:Uhh..I'm pretty sure tha Shield has fewer parts than the 1911. This sounds like a manufacturing defect issue, not a parts count issue.
+1 ... I think the Shield is like the Glocks, Glock has 33 parts...that's why I stay with Glock... :)
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

They show how to do a check on the linked page. Went ahead and did the test. No problems here; the little nub on the back of the trigger that's supposed to keep the trigger from going to the rear unless the hinged lower half of the trigger is pulled still moves in and out of engagement like it's supposed to. The problem appears to be that on some of 'em, (they're saying it appears to be from recent production but want to be sure and throw a broad enough net to ensure they catch 'em all) that hinged portion is dragging and not letting the nub go back to the "safe" position when the trigger goes forward.

I'm wondering if they've had some triggers where the holes weren't exactly the right size or if it was some of the hinge pins or maybe they had someone assembling that portion that was overzealously whacking the pin into place and either riveting it or crimping the plastic around it? Maybe just plastic flashing from the mould that wasn't cleaned out of the holes?
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The problem is the pin.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

jdad wrote:The problem is the pin.
Yup, went back and looked again and they do say so. Huh, reading IS fundamental, and it appears I've got the mental part down pretty good.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life