snake tails

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

snake tails

Post by Ms Boots »

Or course there is a story behind every one! had to share my snake tails over the years.
Love that vaquero! snake shot in the first three. Sure comes in handy dandy! :) that and my tall snake boots. Its getting to be that time of the year when I walk into the barn when you stick your head in first and look both ways to see if its safe! LOL

then a few pictures with my Indian rocks and the pistols I love!

Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: snake tails

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nice collection. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Is that a Buck General or Special?? I have a Special....good knife.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ms Boots,
One thing for sure, if I ever make it out your way, I'm gonna blow the horn real loud before heading down the driveway. You shoot them all yourself?

I'm curious. Do you know anyone who has ever been bit? How about a horse? I hear they have to put them down.---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Sixgun wrote:Ms Boots,
One thing for sure, if I ever make it out your way, I'm gonna blow the horn real loud before heading down the driveway. You shoot them all yourself?

I'm curious. Do you know anyone who has ever been bit? How about a horse? I hear they have to put them down.---------6
Hey 6, yes I know many who been bit. Young man while haying... taken to emergency and spent a week In the hospital, a gal in her garden was bit, great place for them lay! many snake tales to tell if I don't bore ya!
I really don't mind snakes at all. Just when they get ornery, then I must as well. Dang...
so most every snake I kill I take the tail.
Ollogger knows I love to collect the snake tails so if he gets one he brings them too me.
Better than flowers.
I do recommend if visiting... you put a white cloth on your antenna when heading down the drive way. I will know your a friend or wanting to become one.
So will ease up on the grip til you get parked.
Do you still have the saddle ring carbine 25-35? hmmm getting hungry
OH BTW its not true that every horse bitten gets put down. Many here are bit on the nose... if they get help in time they can pull through. Dogs.. many have been bit and they do have a vaccine now that prevents the worst. I keep a vile in my fridge and handle a needle better than my gun! WHOO HOOO :wink:
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Nath wrote:Is that a Buck General or Special?? I have a Special....good knife.

Nath.
Hey Nath
I am really not sure? Its really old... had it forever.. 30 plus years, just says BUCK USA and no number on it. Its mighty handy and the sharpest in the knife holder! :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What a woman! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ms Boots, you are on a roll!

Your post got me so excited, I had to head down to the dungeon and take a pic of the only rattler I ever bagged here in Pa. It was upstate at the hunting cabin. It caught a .357 125 gr.hp.

I don't do these things very often so I cut his head off too!

The 25-35 src. Yea, still got it. As I'm approaching my sixth decade of life, I think some of this stuff is gonna go.------Sixgun

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are well into your sixth decade there six - I had cypherin' :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

All we have around here is copperheads, and they aren't nearly as lethal. Might kill a cat but seldom a dog. Rarely much injury to a human, mostly if they bite a young toddler.

We relocate them if we find them up by the house, to a log-pile in the woods a few hundred yards from the house, unless they give us too much of an 'argument' in the process, in which case we let the crows and coyotes deal with the leftovers...

Problem around here is many folks kill EVERY snake they see, claiming "Well, I thought it might be a copperhead," so we try to educate them as to the difference. As a kid I used to have one in a (special-made, locked) cage so neighbors and guests could see a real one and learn the differences, but now there are all these stupid laws and when we had one a few years ago, the game warden said we had to have a "Written Escape Plan" and a "Telephone Tree of Contacts" in the event of escape. I thought that was funny since we caught the critter in question just a few yards from our back-door. So we get lumped in with the folks who have a pet rhino or lion, and have to contact the 'authorities' if there is an escape... :roll: Gosh, if it escaped, it might be just outside our back door, where it was to begin with.

Bureaucrats - can't live with 'em, would love to live without 'em... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

AJMD429 wrote: Bureaucrats - can't live with 'em, would love to live without 'em... :wink:
They're just looking out for their fellow serpents :mrgreen:

We always seem to have a bull snake or two around, but I've only killed a couple rattlers in the 8 years we've lived here. Those bull snakes give you a start, looking similar to a rattle snake, but the color is a bit off, and no rattle of course. I relocate those when they start getting into the hen house and stealing eggs.

After the first rattle snake I shot here, I took the rattle in to work with me and taped it to the end of some fine welding rod :mrgreen: Almost sounds like the real thing, but its hard to get it going fast enough.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Father used to work on the Pumpjacks on well heads and for some reason the prairie rattlers hung around them. He kept a shovel with him at all times. He had heat treated the shovel to harden it and had sharpened it to where it could shave the hair off your arm. I remember an old coffee can he had which was full of rattles. I think he finally threw it away. He would only kill the snake if it wouldn't move and leave him to do his checks on the sacrificial anode. He used to have one snake at a location that would move into the tall grass when he arrived and would move back as soon as he got back in his truck. Smart snake.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Like the post both the Birds Head grips and the reptiles. I don't normally kill them either just the ones who surprise me or when I am stupid I discovered too late to get away from. I normally carry a .44 or .45 LC with birdshot up when in their turf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

They look like sure-nuf' Vaqureo chow to me..... :shock:

Ya done good ! . :)

donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

years ago, i gained a great deal of respect for the venomous reptiles:

when entrering in country at a briefing..."The area where you guys are headed, the king cobra reaches lengths of 15 feet..." ... :shock:

since then i've been very snake conscious.

unless a rattler is in an area where it may affect myself, my wife or the horse or our dogs i normally will chase it off...i don't mind the stripped racers, gopher snakes and king snakes...they help keep the rodents and vermin in check.

we have more problems with black widow spiders than with rattlers this year... :roll:
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ms Boots wrote:
Nath wrote:Is that a Buck General or Special?? I have a Special....good knife.

Nath.
Hey Nath
I am really not sure? Its really old... had it forever.. 30 plus years, just says BUCK USA and no number on it. Its mighty handy and the sharpest in the knife holder! :)
No number on it! Must be an early one then.....thanks.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:You are well into your sixth decade there six - I had cypherin' :D
Yea, I just figured that out. 59 is the end of my sixth decade. You mean I about to enter my 7th decade???? I'm almost dead!!! Where's the girls??????

Sorry Boots for stepping' on the thread. I'm an emotional wreck right now. It's all OS's fault.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's a LOT of rattlers!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

about six years ago I was talking to a guy down at the creek wearing chaps, he said the snakes like to stretch out and drink out of the creek. On the way back, I came up to a fat rattler doing just that. He was my first rattler and I stared at him, counted his rattles, nine pair. He looked huge to me at the time, fat as an arm. After about a minute he got tired of me staring at him, so he rattled at me. He was not coiled up, just stretched out and drinking.

I had my .357 rifle but wasn't sure about the legality of shooting snakes, too bad, that would have been a nice trophy.

Last year I was out taking pictures and turned around after taking one, you know how your mind is on the scene, not on where you are stepping? I was still looking back at the picture, and so almost stepped on a rattler crossing the path. That one was close, I shutter to think of what might have happened.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

El Chivo wrote: Last year I was out taking pictures and turned around after taking one, you know how your mind is on the scene, not on where you are stepping? I was still looking back at the picture, and so almost stepped on a rattler crossing the path. That one was close, I shutter to think of what might have happened.
You tell that like the experience really formed a negative impression and in such detail that you may just have a photographic memory. At least you didn't get bitten, so it came to a picture perfect ending.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Molasses wrote:
El Chivo wrote: Last year I was out taking pictures and turned around after taking one, you know how your mind is on the scene, not on where you are stepping? I was still looking back at the picture, and so almost stepped on a rattler crossing the path. That one was close, I shutter to think of what might have happened.
You tell that like the experience really formed a negative impression and in such detail that you may just have a photographic memory. At least you didn't get bitten, so it came to a picture perfect ending.
I bet that made his aperture squeeze down several f stops :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sixgun ---
Yea, I just figured that out. 59 is the end of my sixth decade. You mean I about to enter my 7th decade???? I'm almost dead!!! Where's the girls??????

Sorry Boots for stepping' on the thread. I'm an emotional wreck right now. It's all OS's fault.
It'll be OK. Soon you will be 60 --- then we can start telling you the secrets. :) Girls - you have the new pics that have not been here - still working on my disclaimer. Every time I get something from an attorney or accountant they have a big one. BTW Boots told me you are A OK!!! :D In her book!

Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Sixgun wrote:Ms Boots, you are on a roll!

Your post got me so excited, I had to head down to the dungeon and take a pic of the only rattler I ever bagged here in Pa. It was upstate at the hunting cabin. It caught a .357 125 gr.hp.

I don't do these things very often so I cut his head off too!

The 25-35 src. Yea, still got it. As I'm approaching my sixth decade of life, I think some of this stuff is gonna go.------Sixgun

^ that is a pretty darn nice tail there. Looks like a big one! :) sixth decade of life. hmmmm sounds interesting.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I don't know what all y'all are complaining about, at least your snakes tell you where they are before they bite you.

Here in Australia they don't make a sound and they are all protected by the government. We don't know they're there until they bite us on the butt ( that allies to both, the snakes and the government :evil: ).

Are the rattles any good for making musical instruments or would they be too fragile?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

gundownunder wrote:I don't know what all y'all are complaining about, at least your snakes tell you where they are before they bite you.

Here in Australia they don't make a sound and they are all protected by the government. We don't know they're there until they bite us on the butt ( that allies to both, the snakes and the government :evil: ).

Are the rattles any good for making musical instruments or would they be too fragile?
Don't worry gundownunder, the folks down in the Southeast quarter of the country have their share of the rattle-less kind too - in addition to the rattlers! And though our rattlers usually rattle, they don't always! The Mohave--maybe the closest thing we have to your more dangerous snakes--that nailed a friend of mine in Arizona didn't do him the courtesy of rattling.

About protected types, we've got a subspecies here in Az that's protected, fortunately its not the one of the predominant types, and IIRC New York, that bastion of all that is truly sensible (being facetious), protects all Timber rattlers (and maybe others if they have them?). I'm sure there are some other states that are similar.