My New 92 Just Came In, incredable !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

My New 92 Just Came In, incredable !

Post by wll »

I can't believe it. I got it from my dealer and had to wait 10 days. When it came into the shop, I cycled it and it seemed very smooth ...... ten days later on pickup day .....

Picked it up today and ran snap caps through it .... it was smoother than my two Marlin 1895's, my three 1894's and my two 336's.

This gun was like butter, it spit out all snap caps in a heart beat and no scratches on the cases !

My 92 has a 16 inch barrel and it is light and quick as heck, to say that I'm please would be a huge under statement !

I have to put in a sling swivels and a few other things, but this is a MONSTER of a gun.

When it is done, I will post a pic ! ...... I'm very much surprised at the quality of this gun. I may have gotten a fluke, but the action is as smooth as any lever gun I have ever felt !

Again, the 16 Inch barrel makes this gun into a very light, very, very fast compact gun .... I'm at a loss for words !

wll
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My New 92 Just Came In, incredable !

Post by JerryB »

Is it a Rossi, what caliber????
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

JerryB wrote:Is it a Rossi, what caliber????
44 mag and it is a thing of beauty ! 16 Inch barrel and is fast as heck. The action is as smooth as any Lever action I have ever felt.

To say that I am pleased would be an under statement.

I just ordered a Rio Grande in 45-70 ... lets see if that is on the same quality train as my 92 44 mag ?

wll
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Rossi is getting their act together pretty well. My 16" stainless 45C is very smooth also. They keep that up and they will put Nate out of a job :mrgreen: . I did buy his DVD but truthfully, the rilfe doesn't need any work done to it. My Browning is much rougher. Now if we could just get Rossi to take it easy on the buffing wheel and curving all the flat surfaces and dishing the screw holes. But I guess for what we pay, we can't expect hand finishing.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We have a Rossi .357 Stainless in the shop that is pretty darn slick. I think I see a trend (dare I say)...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Yes, this gun is very smooth for sure.

I will take off the stock today and clean her up, and maybe add a little stain. It is the cleanest lever gun out of the box I've seen.

I will then remove the safety and put in Steve's plug.

I will then install sling swivels when I get to work on Monday where I have a vice and a drill press.

What really knocks me out is the size of the receiver compared to my Marlin 1894's, it is so much lighter and thinner it seems, the gun is very quick and will be a great little carry gun for sure !

wll
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Love those 16" Rossi guns.

I want one in 32-20 though...!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

AJMD429 wrote:Love those 16" Rossi guns.

I want one in 32-20 though...!!!

Yes.... or 327 Magnum.......
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sounds like your happy with the gun
and that's the way it should be!!!!!

I have a 92 in 45 with 24in oct barrel, Ive shot over 2 thousand rounds thru it & it just gets better
one like yours may be next on my list, A 32-20 would top the list

ollogger
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Seems that the current Rossis are a bit nicer than they used to be. Maybe Rossi is doing some of the stuff we used to have to do ourselves.

Holes for barrel band and forend screws are generally still not aligned and stocks can often use a bit of work (some come with hairline splits from being rammed on without perfect fitting) but all of that stuff is easy to fix. I just align the holes in the forends the first time I need to take them off. The stock cracks are not generally visible externally and can be fixed invisibly.

For the money those these things are hard to beat.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

wll wrote:Yes, this gun is very smooth for sure.

I will take off the stock today and clean her up, and maybe add a little stain. It is the cleanest lever gun out of the box I've seen.

I will then remove the safety and put in Steve's plug.
wll
I have used the Tapadera's stain lately, and really like the results. Tried it using different techniques on modern Winchester walnut, Rossi hardwood, and the slivery Chaparral wood, whatever it is. It is easy and works well.

The safety definitely has to go.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Will put on a little more stain on the butt stock to try to match it up to the forend tomorrow. Gun is very smooth and will drill the sling butt stock swivel hole in on Monday.

This is truly a wicked little gun, small enough for the truck, enough barrel to give you an extra 300FPS or so over a handgun , and more than that, it is lightning fast because of its weight to size ratio.

You have a 33.5" rifle that hold 8 plus 1 44 mag rounds ..... enough said !

To be very honest, I am very impressed .... ya the workmanship is not the best, but it is a strong workman's type rifle ! Looking at the parts, it looks like they are forged pretty strong ! Nothing wrong with sending a 240gr - 270gr jacketed or hard cast GS downrange at about 1500fps + ! That will put the hurt on deer, pig and black bear if you do your part. Remember the 100 yard velocity and energy is about equal to a 44 mag handgun at the muzzle ... not to bad !

wll
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Ok, I just put stock swivels in ;- )

Post by wll »

And the magazine tube swivel I did yesterday day with a little card shim (works great).

I'm staining the stock a little darker and trying to make the forearm look like the stock, I'll be able to come close.

This baby is going to be a bad little rough and tumble shooter. I'm pleased ; -)

wll
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Rossi 92/44 functions & chambers 44 special very well. Some do and some don't.

It is nice to know if they will, the magazine will hold an extra round, or so.

Welcome to the Rossi 92/44 shooters group. :wink:

BTW; mine also likes SWC's. Again, some do and some don't.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

Lefty Dude wrote:My Rossi 92/44 functions & chambers 44 special very well. Some do and some don't.

It is nice to know if they will, the magazine will hold an extra round, or so.

Welcome to the Rossi 92/44 shooters group. :wink:

BTW; mine also likes SWC's. Again, some do and some don't.
How is the recoil of the .44 Mag ? My Marlin is a thumper . My Rossi's are .357 Mag & .45 LC . They have modest recoil .

God bless
Wyr
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Well, I could not wait till Monday to drill the stock sling swivel stud, so I did it yesterday.

I added a couple of pony tails in the back to keep the leather straps together and I re stained the butt stock to match the for end. I think I'm just about done.

The gun it self was in pretty good shape, just cleaned it up, put in Steve's safety plug and removed old oil, no chips and dirt in action like others have reported.

The last thing I WILL do is Lock Tite the hammer lock safety (in back of the hammer) ! IMHO that is a disaster waiting to happen. That screw in the back of the hammer if it migrates out, will stop the function of your rifle, and I could see that happening. Could you imaging not paying attention to that and while on a trip with all the shaking and pounding a gun can take, that screw backing out, you see your game and can't get a shot off ...... or more serious, you need the gun for protection while in the wilds .... you now have a 5 lb club, good luck !

Yes, that little screw will be set in place on Monday !

wll

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

wll wrote:I can't believe it. I got it from my dealer and had to wait 10 days. When it came into the shop, I cycled it and it seemed very smooth ...... ten days later on pickup day .....

Picked it up today and ran snap caps through it .... it was smoother than my two Marlin 1895's, my three 1894's and my two 336's.

This gun was like butter, it spit out all snap caps in a heart beat and no scratches on the cases !

My 92 has a 16 inch barrel and it is light and quick as heck, to say that I'm please would be a huge under statement !

I have to put in a sling swivels and a few other things, but this is a MONSTER of a gun.

When it is done, I will post a pic ! ...... I'm very much surprised at the quality of this gun. I may have gotten a fluke, but the action is as smooth as any lever gun I have ever felt !

Again, the 16 Inch barrel makes this gun into a very light, very, very fast compact gun .... I'm at a loss for words !

wll

I would love that gun (she's a beauty)---------------------absolutely a :mrgreen:
Congrats Sir---------------you sure picked a winner.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

WyrTwister wrote: How is the recoil of the .44 Mag ? My Marlin is a thumper . My Rossi's are .357 Mag & .45 LC . They have modest recoil .
God bless
Wyr
They all have pretty modest recoil. My wife's 16" .454 has not much recoil.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't get it. :roll: -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

[quote="Sixgun"]I don't get it. :roll: -----6[/quote

What don't you get ?

wll
1894c

Post by 1894c »

with the death of Winchester 94's (US made) and the apparent demise of Marlin (REM-marlin)...Rossi sees an opening in the levergun market...been thinking of getting one in .357 mag myself...the only thing that stops me is the availability of replacement parts... :)
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Well she is done ( I think ) ;- )

Post by wll »

Took a little acetone and lightened up the for end, no it matches the butt stock even better !

Than I used Lock Tite on the lock screw in back of the hammer. I used acetone to clean off the threads as best I could and then applied a low strength thread lock compound. I think that should be more than enough to hold it. I will try to set the hammer lock tomorrow, and if I feel it turns to easy, than I will go to a medium strength thread lock.

The M1 carbine case is ordered, so I'm sitting pretty cool ;- )

wll
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

I'd love to have one in 32-40 but forget trying to find the brass.
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

I bought a .44 mag stainless carbine 3 years ago and replaced the safety with the bolt peep, replaced the front sight with a green fiber optic, mounted some swivels and replaced the plastic mag follower with a metal one. A very smooth light weight little carbine indeed ! Other then a few cans I haven't drawn down on anything yet. lol