OK, it is lever gun soft case time !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

OK, it is lever gun soft case time !

Post by wll »

Ya, I'm sure this topic has been hashed over a million times but here I go ;- )

Found a 38in soft case that is real nice from Cabela's ... I have that same case in longer versions. The one I looked at is 38" and is about $50.00

I've been searching, does anyone know of another, it must be soft and lockable as I live in Kalifornia.

I will buy two, one for my 92 :- ) and one for my yet to arrive Rio Grande in 45-70 ;- )

wll
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OK, it is lever gun soft case time !

Post by Pete44ru »

A repro M1 Carbine case, for rifles up to 36" long - $15+ S&H, from Sportsmans Guide.

Easily made lockable via sewing a metal loop @ the closed end of the brass zipper (I have two of these for my shorter/Trapper rifles).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/r ... x?a=982826

wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Pete44ru wrote:A repro M1 Carbine case, for rifles up to 36" long - $15+ S&H, from Sportsmans Guide.

Easily made lockable via sewing a metal loop @ the closed end of the brass zipper (I have two of these for my shorter/Trapper rifles).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/r ... x?a=982826

I did see those, do they offer padding on the inside ? Of course I could always wrap the guns up inside !

wll
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Bob Allen cases are a little longer @ 40", but since I have carbines in both 16" & 20" they're a little more versatile for me... plus my Trappers are mdl 94, a little longer action. I have 6 of 'em, in a couple different lengths, wished Midway carried more lengths. And the price is right. I have a couple that're over 20 years old have only had to replace 1, and it was over 25 years old. Takes a TINY lock, but it is "lockable"! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Griff wrote:The Bob Allen cases are a little longer @ 40", but since I have carbines in both 16" & 20" they're a little more versatile for me... plus my Trappers are mdl 94, a little longer action. I have 6 of 'em, in a couple different lengths, wished Midway carried more lengths. And the price is right. I have a couple that're over 20 years old have only had to replace 1, and it was over 25 years old. Takes a TINY lock, but it is "lockable"! :P
Thanks Griff for the heads up.

wll
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

How can you "lock" a soft case? :? Kali is Krazy....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

wll wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:A repro M1 Carbine case, for rifles up to 36" long - $15+ S&H, from Sportsmans Guide.

I did see those, do they offer padding on the inside ? Of course I could always wrap the guns up inside !

wll

The ones I bought have padding.

wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Pete44ru wrote:
wll wrote:

wll

The ones I bought have padding.

Looks like that is what I'll be getting.

Thank you for the info.

wll
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

COSteve wrote:
BlaineG wrote:How can you "lock" a soft case? :? Kali is Krazy....
Yep, mine have a hole in the zipper tab and a 'D' ring at the bottom.
I understand completely, but, the point was that it's not the least bit secure. Just whack the end of the soft case off with a knife, or, just run with it, and open later. Just another diprod Kali law....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
COSteve wrote:
I understand completely, but, the point was that it's not the least bit secure. Just whack the end of the soft case off with a knife, or, just run with it, and open later. Just another diprod Kali law....
It's the CA law. Since when do laws have to be sensible? (I would modify that to note, "... in the land of fruits, nuts & flakes..." but, that would insulting, (but true)! :twisted: :twisted: :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
COSteve wrote:
It's the CA law. Since when do laws have to be sensible? (I would modify that to note, "... in the land of fruits, nuts & flakes..." but, that would insulting, (but true)! :twisted: :twisted: :P :lol: :lol:

You are so correct, the law makes no sense, it just needs to br double locked, The fact that you can rip it open in a heart beart means nothing.... remember, you are dealing with politicians that a are stupider than a box of rocks .... the ONLY thing they care about is getting elected again, just take a look at the scum bad mayor of San Diego, enough said !

wll
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Watch it Guys, Ur going to get this thread moved to U know where. Besides I take OFFENSE to Ur Disparaging remarks.
Now My "CAUTION" wll, be careful with long term storage in a case. Leave it too long and U will open it to find -Rust, unless of course U live in a dry climate then it's not fullproof. Just My observation.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

pwl44m wrote:Watch it Guys, Ur going to get this thread moved to U know where. Besides I take OFFENSE to Ur Disparaging remarks.
Now My "CAUTION" wll, be careful with long term storage in a case. Leave it too long and U will open it to find -Rust, unless of course U live in a dry climate then it's not fullproof. Just My observation.
Perry
Yes, I know the case can help your gun rust but it is canvas so it is breathable and I will oil the gun down before I put it away.

In addition I'm in Lancaster where it is very dry so I don't think I will have a problem.

wll
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

wll wrote:
pwl44m wrote:Watch it Guys, Ur going to get this thread moved to U know where. Besides I take OFFENSE to Ur Disparaging remarks.
Perry
Yes, I know the case can help your gun rust but it is canvas so it is breathable and I will oil the gun down before I put it away.

In addition I'm in Lancaster where it is very dry so I don't think I will have a problem.

wll
after posting I looked at Ur location, maybe someone else can use the info.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Just got my M1 case in from Cheaper than Dirt !

Post by wll »

Yes, it works, not the best case in the world but it holds the Rossi 92 OK.

I put a hole in the leather tab so I could put a lock on it. In Kalifornia it is the law that the gun be in a case (soft or hard) and be locked.

The case was pretty cheap and it does have padding on the inside !

Yes, the zipper needs to have graphite applied as it sticks !

wll
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

For your takedowns. Great stuff! http://www.skinnersights.com/scabbards_20.html
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I just got another one and darn it, the handle is positioned so the thing falls forward with a levergun in it - it's muzzle heavy. Are AR's stock heavy? Maybe it's meant for an AR.

I have a few, mostly Allen. I had only two that accept scopes, most are the very slim kind.

About the locks, I found a luggage set at Walmart that had six or eight locks that all take the same key. Only way to fly.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

FWIW. I understand that you want to be legal, but I lived in CA for 60 years, and transported firearm (my own) for 35 years and not once was my firearms checked by a LEO ( of any sort). As long as the ammo was in the back seat and guns were in my trunk, I felt OK (but during the riots in L.A. I had at least one of my handguns on the front seat, and another in my briefcase). I felt that as long as I was complying with the intent of the law I was good, and the only LEO I talked to about it said he wouldn't cite me if I didn't have all the locks installed.

But then, I didn't drive around in my primered, lowered Chevy, with the stereo blaring while wearing my hoodie in 85 degree weather. :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

mikld wrote:FWIW. I understand that you want to be legal, but I lived in CA for 60 years, and transported firearm (my own) for 35 years and not once was my firearms checked by a LEO ( of any sort). As long as the ammo was in the back seat and guns were in my trunk, I felt OK (but during the riots in L.A. I had at least one of my handguns on the front seat, and another in my briefcase). I felt that as long as I was complying with the intent of the law I was good, and the only LEO I talked to about it said he wouldn't cite me if I didn't have all the locks installed.

But then, I didn't drive around in my primered, lowered Chevy, with the stereo blaring while wearing my hoodie in 85 degree weather. :mrgreen:
True enough, but our hunter safety guys brought up the wisdom of over-compliance to pacify any type of LEO. My trunk wouldn't lock for a while. The locks are extra insurance, and a good idea while carrying if you have to park down the block from the range. Technically you could carry in a case with no lock or have your long guns uncased in the back seat. But if you have someone who missed that day of class in the Police Academy...

The other recent change is "Guns in School Zones", which is Federal, and I believe it mandates any gun must be locked up with 1000 feet of a school. If you pass through one, you might as well stay safe. There was someone who lived within 1000 feet of a school, and brought his gun out on his porch, and was arrested.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Kali is crazy, but we established that quite a bit ago...

Interestingly enough, for rural areas check at Walmart. Some of them have a good selection. And even more interesting, some are made in America.