Colt SAA 45 - IT'S MINE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Colt SAA 45 - IT'S MINE

Post by pwl44m »

As menioned in another post I found a really nice Colt 45 with a 5 1/2 inch barrel (per Griff) I thought it was a 6 inch, didn't measure it. The main Man wasn't in the store so I called a little later to to inquire whether 1st or 2nd gen. It took some time to look it up but He finally found it. It is a 2nd Gen made in 1965. The Gun looks perfect and would rate at least 98 %. Possibly unfired other than factory test. It is the same store that I bought My other Colt in 44spl with Ivory grips. It belongs the One of the store owners (Woman) it was Her late Husbands Gun. They are asking $1279 and open to offers. I will probably go back in Tue and have a closer look and go from there.
What are 2nd Gen Colts going for in Your areas ?
Thx for Ur ears -- Perry
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Went in and paid for it this AM, did a little bargaining and got a 100 bucks knocked off.
Now for a couple particulars.
Colt New Frontier 45 COLT
7 1/2 inch barrel, not 6 or 5 1/2 (Guy on the phone told Me it was 6) I like 7 1/2 better- matches My other one.
Wood Grips that look good.
I turned that Gun every which way but loose and could not find a scratch on it. It has been fired but it is not known how much. One Person says there is a Box but it couldn't be located.
So it is in Jail now and I can pick it up Sat 9-14-13.
Ser # is 0504NF, That is what is on the receipt but I thought it was 05045NF, can someone tell Me when it was made ?
That's all for now, when I get it Home I will take some pics and post them, not like anyone doesn't know what one looks like.
Perry
Last edited by pwl44m on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Colt SAA 45

Post by Old Savage »

Grab it quick. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:Grab it quick. :)
Quicker than quick! A 2nd Gen in 98% condition? DO NOT DELAY!!!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Grab it quick. :)
Quicker than quick! A 2nd Gen in 98% condition? DO NOT DELAY!!!
I second both these opinions!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

What they ^ ^ said.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Walk in w/13 $100 bills, say nothing and lay 10 of 'em on the counter and let them stumble for words. :P :D :D
Last edited by Griff on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:Walk in w/13 %100 bills, say nothing and lay 10 of 'em on the counter and let them stumble for words. :P :D :D
Good way to play it. Always hard for folks to turn away good old cash!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Griff wrote:Walk in w/13 $100 bills, say nothing and lay 10 of 'em on the counter and let them stumble for words. :P :D :D
That's what I was thinkin, I can always go up. I have no idea how They arrived at that price.
Perry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its about what its worth. Its a good fair price, not high and not low. That's because its the most common of the second gens. and is late in production. The most valuable are the 1956 to 1959 models, especially the 1956 ones as these are nearly identical to first gens in fit and finish and the box they came in. Ones made in the mid sixties should have the stage coach box. Its still a nice gun and if you don't have an example, I'd say buy it. :D ----me
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pwl44m wrote:
Griff wrote:Walk in w/13 $100 bills, say nothing and lay 10 of 'em on the counter and let them stumble for words. :P :D :D
That's what I was thinkin, I can always go up. I have no idea how They arrived at that price.
Perry
That $1279 is a fair price for a food 2nd Gen, probably fairer to the buyer rather than the seller a few years ago, and still is,...to the right buyer. But, in today's economy...? It'll hinge on the seller's "need" to sell, maybe mood, or if they just take a shine to ya!

Good luck. And don't forget to... need I finish? :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My view - get them when you can - you guys will waste the difference in how many ways???
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Old Savage wrote:My view - get them when you can - you guys will waste the difference in how many ways???
Yeah, like $3000 worth of Furniture last Week. I told My Wife "do U know how many Guns I could have bought with that". She wasn't impressed. Getting them when I can is what I'm trying to do and Colt just has a place in My Heart.
@ Sixgun, I do have examples but can One have too many ?
Perry
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

pwl44m wrote: @ Sixgun, I do have examples but can One have too many ?
Perry

yes and no. "No" , because they are better than any current retirement plan and "yes" if its a gun I don't have. Its the American thing to do, so pay for it and send it to me. Thank you very much, I'll be waiting.-----------6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well pl44 - that is between you and her :) another subject altogether and now we will have to go into the standard disclaimers --- ONCE AGAIN :D

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
pwl44m wrote:@ Sixgun, I do have examples but can One have too many ?
Perry
yes and no. "No" , because they are better than any current retirement plan and "yes" if its a gun I already have and don't NEED two of. Its the American thing to do, so pay for it and send it to me. Thank you very much, I'll be waiting.-----------6
There, fixed that for ya! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Last edited by cshold on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Griff!

Pete, A word from the wise........

You can always buy furniture, but how often does a nice Colt come up?

Buy.......buy.........buy.............buy...... :D :D -------6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pete - The Lone Ranger had matching Colts.

Casa - thanks for the clarification on disclaimer protocol and for the picture of the what I presume to be a holstered Colt.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

What can I say, I will do My best to procure said weapon. I don't think any pics I will post will need a disclamer (again it wasn't Me :lol: ) unless of course there are some Libtards lurking here. I'm with 6 on the investment strategy, Buy Guns - It's good for the economy, It's good for the Soul.
I'll keep Ya posted.
Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Old Savage wrote:Pete - The Lone Ranger had matching Colts.

Casa - thanks for the clarification on disclaimer protocol and for the picture of the what I presume to be a holstered Colt.
Theres a Picture in this thread ?? :lol:
Perry
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Picture clarification please, is that buscadero by Alfonso or Ojala?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Last edited by cshold on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ok so not a Colt she is using - question remains on the holster.

Six - better than money in the couch. I bought 4 Colt 22 Single Actions in 1975 new for $75 each now the same revolvers appear to go for $500 to $600.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt SAA 45 - IT'S MINE

Post by pwl44m »

BTT, see first post for details. U Guys R Grrrreat. I now will have another Colt in a Long desired caliber.
Perry
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Congratulations Perry 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

+1 :)

But which did you get. New Frontier or the first one described?

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Old Savage wrote:+1 :)

But which did you get. New Frontier or the first one described?
My bad, It's a New Frontier. Seems They made both, 6 or someone with more knowledge will have to chime in. At any rate it is a Colt. From what I can tell the difference is the sights. Adjustable on NF and groove on topstrap on SA. Blue Book gives some info but I couldn't find manufacture date.
Perry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pwl44m wrote: Ser # is 0504NF, That is what is on the receipt but I thought it was 05045NF, can someone tell Me when it was made ?
That's all for now, when I get it Home I will take some pics and post them, not like anyone doesn't know what one looks like.
Perry
According to http://proofhouse.com/colt/ it's 1956 for either number.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

According to the chart it has to be 4 digit and it appears they started at 3000 in 61. confused now (whats new)
Perry
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Old Savage wrote:Pete - The Lone Ranger had matching Colts.

Colt...what Colt..? :)
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Old Savage wrote:.... Six - ... I bought 4 Colt 22 Single Actions in 1975 new for $75 each now the same revolvers appear to go for $500 to $600.
Average level of family income in 1975 was $13,500. My monthly salary was $1,000 per month in that year. I bought a new, top of the line Chevrolet Chevelle (Malibu Classic) in late 1974 for a little less than $3500. With gasoline in 1975 at $.57 a gallon and a movie ticket $1.65 the same year, I'd say your 1975 purchased Colt .22's have maintained their value well over these past 38 years.

Wonder what that Malibu Classic would be worth if it had been a "garage queen" all these years?
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

quote !! Average level of family income in 1975 was $13,500
Where ? certainly not in Marysville at Montgomery Ward. But those were the good ole days when Ur Wife could go into the Sporting goods dept and buy Her Husband a Shotgun for Christmas and take it home that very same day (imagine that !) and to this day that said Shotgun has never killed anything but wild game, hmm. Careful, We don't want to go there. Now that same Shotgun is worth "What" ? Not a whole lot more than it was 40 years ago. That's why today I am buying Names other than "Western Field ".
We caint go back but We can look to the future as bleak as it may be for the "Gun Nut" and try to pad Our nest egg or Our Kids future when We're gone and have fun at the same time.
My collection is meek as compared to some Of U Guys but they're all Mine and I Love every one of them and unlike Ours Kids (some are favored a little more than others.
I'll shut up now, didn't mean to ramble, I guess the gist of this post is that HIND Sight Aint worth Nuthin, Gettem while U can.
Perry
8 more days.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I know these other guys don't care, but I would like to see a picture of the newly purchased Colt. :wink:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

nemhed wrote:I know these other guys don't care, but I would like to see a picture of the newly purchased Colt. :wink:
In due time Son, in due time. :lol: Gun pics don't look good behind Bars ! :wink: The Gun really didn't do anything to deserve a 10 day sentence but it is what it is. Pics to come next Saturday or so. I really need to refine My picture taking skills cause I'm just that , a "picture taker" not a "Photographer".
Perry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Uh Perry, we like to think of that as Administrative Detention :) Jail sounds so ... well, harsh and unfriendly. :D

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Old Savage wrote:Uh Perry, we like to think of that as Administrative Detention :) Jail sounds so ... well, harsh and unfriendly. :D
I suppose Administrative Detention does sound a little less harsh, after all it did nothing to be there. I had detention once 50 years ago. 5 days & counting.
Perry