Against federal law to CCW if you're an EMT...???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Against federal law to CCW if you're an EMT...???

Post by AJMD429 »

A student told me she was told that, and I've never heard such a thing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Re: Against federal law to CCW if you're an EMT...???

Post by 92&94 »

I doubt that very much. Mostly because of all the BS I've heard 3rd hand over the years :mrgreen:

CCW is generally regulated at the state level, if true it would most likely be particular to a state or two.

Lots of EMT's are also law enforcement (I know one here), how would such a federal law affect that? - IIRC, they are expected to carry concealed when off duty - that may vary with state too.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has set the national standard curriculum for EMS providers, but most EMS providers are certified at the state level so I doubt there is federal law against CCW for EMTs. That was never mentioned during my first responder or EMT-B classes. Our local EMS providers won't allow concealed carry unless the individual is also law enforcement.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It may vary state-to-state, but will vary based on individual departments also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

No. Yes. It depends.

As with Firefighting, where you fall under the Incident Command System determines the "rules".

If the Feds/FEMA/DHS are in any way "over" you/your department then no, you can't "legally" CCW on scene. (For example, on a Federal Wildland/Forest fire under Fed control you are specifically prohibited from CCW... though it is often ignored.)

Also, some (most) jurisdictions explicitly prohibit CCW in Hospitals/ERs - where EMTs spend a lot of time.

Outside of that (and local department protocols) CCW is not "against the law" for us.

Still, from a practical standpoint, as an EMT the only CCW I want to be attached to me while I am in direct body contact with a patient will be a DEEP cover CCW that both won't get in my way during vehicle extrication OR be accessible to the patient or bystanders while my hands are 100% occupied in treatment.

(Wed nite I had to wriggle into a crushed 4 door truck to hold C-spine while the team cut the car apart around us. I had to remove my Pager and Radio from my belt. Even an IWB would have gotten in the way.)

(It was a good one... bi-lateral compound femur fractures, multiple bilateral Arm fractures (and we still had to get a line in) multiple systemic injuries, High BAC etc. Shock was actually helpful in this case as he stayed AAOx3 throughout... Needed Medevac though. Fun call. Thought I would have to jump for Femoral Artery compression for a while... PT is doing "fine" post op... :mrgreen: )

So I carry my NAA Guardian in a secure and secured pocket holster. Nothing IWB or on a belt. (Note: Since acquiring my .38 Derringer, I do wear it in a Pocket Mask belt pouch when going on Rural "rancher down" calls... but it can be rapidly removed from my belt if necessary...)

Additional Considerations:

Unless you are a Tactical Response EMT, there will be almost NO situation you will encounter while performing EMT duties that will require a "real" gun. I HAVE been out on ranches where my .38 snake shot would have been extermely helpful, but in that case our Ambulance Fire Extinguisher sufficed. Not optimal, but it worked. If I have a combative patient, there are other things I can do. If the scene is still Hot, I don't go in until PD is done. All in all the biggest reason for me, as an EMT, to be armed is because I am a Volunteer ans as such I don't stop off at home to unstrap before gearing up...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Unless you are a Tactical Response EMT, there will be almost NO situation you will encounter while performing EMT duties that will require a "real" gun. I HAVE been out on ranches where my .38 snake shot would have been extermely helpful, but in that case our Ambulance Fire Extinguisher sufficed. Not optimal, but it worked. If I have a combative patient, there are other things I can do. If the scene is still Hot, I don't go in until PD is done. All in all the biggest reason for me, as an EMT, to be armed is because I am a Volunteer ans as such I don't stop off at home to unstrap before gearing up...
Thanks for ALL the responses, and I especially think OI's sounds like the same way I feel about such things. It's the same policy I followed as a med student who headed off after class to work in pharmacies without going out of my way to take a bus to the apartment and back.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:Thanks for ALL the responses, and I especially think OI's sounds like the same way I feel about such things. It's the same policy I followed as a med student who headed off after class to work in pharmacies without going out of my way to take a bus to the apartment and back.
It's called "keeping it real".

I in no way believe that EMTs should be "prohibited" from CCW, but in most cases it's really impractical.

Ever tried to get your piece off of a charged MRI? :o :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!