Update on Metal Roof----News(not great)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Update on Metal Roof----News(not great)

Post by madman4570 »

Well-------got one half of back section (synthetic down/2"x4" purlings down.
Contractor said that roof is absolutely perfect(from eve to top corner of ridge off less than 1/4"

Got a problem!

First time (with this supplier)has ever seen this!
He had up four panels.Said do you notice something???(he said now mind you all prep/roof/purlings everything square and perfect.
What do you see?
I noticed that about every 18" on the seam side(there is this slight gap)not huge(but it is noticeable)
He then looked at all the metal(that side)and every piece has this slight bowing every so many inches.

He said------would you be satisfied with that having it butyl taped and lap screwed at those raised areas----before I said a word he said(cause I would not, in fact I would not even put it on a barn.

So-----------------stop work,they are making new metal as we speak(might get it by tomorrow but Sat(it is supposed to rain/wind.
He said will have to tarp it----but hates tarps because they can blow off and leak ceilings :shock: (boy would my wife be pi##ed(me too)----so this really screws him up.(they better pay his crew labor too)

So---right now,its quiet here and we are praying for no rain!

Said they must have had a defective roller(making it)and he said----one thing he has learned now(forever)before even letting the delivery truck unload----he will do a thorough visual inspection of both sides *seams)of sheets and insure they are perfect(straight)no waiving of any kind accepted!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Update on Metal Roof----News(not great)

Post by madman4570 »

Company big shot Rep drove up from Williamsport, Pa today.
Looked at job site, looked at Metal----------------It is defective!
Will be replaced by Monday(am)semi-truck coming from there to deliver.(they were worried if it can get up driveway! :roll:
Contractor will be also reimbursed for crew(labor)all his lost cost.
I will be getting a discount!

They put a tarp on the whole back section of house and also removed what metal panels was already up there.
Not trying to be a arrogant idiot but I was questioning how they are going to correct the holes that now are already in the purlings/layment???
If they panels go in exact same spot(which they should to be square/look right)I do not want just screws rescrewed back down in what you already have basically predrilled same size as screws pilot holes/or right next to old hole. From my reading/learning----it is imperative that the screws drive into and setup into a dense gripping structure(like yellow pine)and continues to grip it very securely----to keep the screw/washer from loosening and thus having a leak potential. Was about ready to call off the whole job(stop work)and make them shingle back of house with new shingles and then I would finish rest by what means as I see fit. But----I am a reasonable patient(sometimes)man. I found it odd that caulk tape/screws came free with that order initially???? Like maybe knowing ahead of time(might need that caul tape????) Cannot prove that----so I have to take their word it was just a mistake with a defective roller upon mfg.
I will personally will inspecting that new metal before it comes off Semi-------if not right.(this time)

If they doubt my findings I will pull out about eight framed Certifications in Metrology I hold from Mitutoyo Metrology Institute. :wink:

:twisted:
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sorry to hear this, what a pain it must be.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
tom deinek
Levergunner

Post by tom deinek »

Cancel the contract.

Roof will never be right. Contractor & installer should have noticed the flaw before any of it went up.

Non-union / un-documented aliens doing the installation?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sh*t happens.

You've already altered the dwelling. Finish the job you started. Get the product you're paying for.

You're doing a good job of oversight.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Good catch!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks guys!

Problem is guys (no one cares about your own stuff like you do.(just like your kids)
Trust me, I am no genius.(that's my daughter :lol: )but honestly when something starts that involves me either me doing work for or having work done for me-------I investigate and try to have all the knowledge I can obtain.

Like all the stuff after those guys left(the lumber/synthetic underlayment rolls/boxes of ????(stuck halfway under a board etc.)---I covered everything with all my tarps(it is supposed to rain tonight/tomorrow.

Am I a little anal on things maybe???? But when I read stuff----like the underlayment required/and they are talking about rubber washers(neoprene is what is the best)lapping seams opposite the usual way the wind normally comes from etc.----(I want stuff done right.)

Example----couple years ago(had hand scraped oak floors put in)whole place. That crew said we will meet you on your deck at 8am that morning. At 7.45am I pull up driveway, there on my deck are 8 guys(40 sheets of plywood and 87 boxes of wood on the ground below.That night went up to place until midnight getting things ready for them etc.(all was well)

So, I get out of SUV and immediately one of them say--------there you are(we thought you were sleeping, we were banging on the windows/doors but no one answered. :lol: :roll: One of them said----we tried every which way to get into your house and boy do you have a tight house. :shock: :roll:

So, I walk in basement door(unlock) go upstairs and let boss in. Start discussing events for the day, while discussing things walk over to great big bow Anderson window(the window besides deck and an inch away from the edges of 40 sheets of plywood/pry bars/all these tools for installing floors.
See a huge crack in that (very expensive window) :shock: The right section crank out side.Next to edge of deck railing(where plywood/tools are)Only they are on the outside of (now cracked window)
Gulp,----look at Bob and say-----what the he## is this? He says----I don't know??? Did someone mess with your place last night??
That's it(the switch flipped) :wink: I said---Bob, I am asking this one time(who busted my window)??? cause I was up here until midnight and it was fine then-------(and people around here know you don't mess with me up here) He said------I am sure it wasn't us. He opened the door and said-----guys do any of you know what happened here??? They said---------Nope!

I said well that's it--------you bums are all fired------grab all your sh##/all materials/every frigin thing and get the he## off my property or else it's going to nothing but a## holes and elbows. Any of you morons got a problem toady on up toads and hop your a##es on over here.

he said-----are you serious?? (you want to cancel everything-----------I said-----------You have no option(your done)Looking at them----you all are done!

He then went and gathered his crew and walked down to the creek(yelling at the group)heard him say----who did it/you idiots are going to cost me $$$$$$ of dollars. He then came up and said----well its possible one of them unknowingly threw a tool up there unloading and hit the window-----we will pay for it-------I kept them out there standing for over an hour(should I stay/should I go???)
Finally said-----OK----but anyone-----you lie to me---------------------that's all she wrote(no crying Elmarie)

All it took----after that-----those guys were absolutely unreal-----best group of workers I have ever seen.
In the end----the window(he was going to have a glass fitter come up and replace glass)but I knew with those Anderson gas units crank outs it wouldn't be right-----told him(my good man---don't sweat it---I got it)called Anderson ordered whole pane(put it in myself)did cost me $270 though----oh well-------they were very good quality workers.(considered a tip)???

Oh----the sliding door couple weeks back I did have them replace glass($450 vs $1700 new unit)-----they put the door upside down(it works but I will fix that one) :lol: Don't trust them two who did that doing it right! :roll:
Wife said-----back when it was done and she came home-----honey-----didn't to lock used to be on the top?????? :shock: :lol:

See---can't catch everything!------hey---it works!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

They be working their rears off and new metal came yesterday and today backside will be done.
Tomorrow------front addition done
Thursday second addition will have rafters/plywood decking over existing flat rubber roof built to give matching pitch and make one continuous nice slope(one new roof)
Friday--------------------metal down on that section!

Really/really like its looks!
And again my contractor said-----that will last well over 50years. And reassured me (if you went with the new/latest 30yr architectural shingles you would be seeing me within 13 years. I did contact a friend I graduated with(contractor)and he confirmed the new light shingles(do not last)-----the warranty they give have so many stipulations anymore--------------material not covered let alone labor!

Also confirmed if neoprene bushings ever did wear out say after 30yrs etc.----new bushings could easily be installed very reasonably. But said how they are made now------------------he thinks will never need to! ?????

Another biggie -----if something ever drops out of the sky :lol: and smashes through metal-------unfasten and apply new sheet!
I verified using my micrometer that the gauge has not changed in the last decade. The same exact mfg(also mfg model#)same color etc. was installed on my enclosed patio a decade ago(looks brand new)even the bushings. So I know----this stuff is good!
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Glad that your roof is getting done........right! What is the cost of the metal roof compared to asphalt shingles . Square foot vs. Square foot. Thanks
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

madman4570, you've got real stick-to-itiveness, as we say around these parts. That's a complement. I know you'll have a real, nicely finished project since you're staying on all those guys, making sure they get their stuff together. Headaches sure, but worth it in the long term.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks friends! :wink:

foxtrapper------honestly the cost($1,700 cheaper than going with 30 year Architectural shingles)--least my project.
Also they are putting down a 4ft x 4ft HD solid wooden base tied to purlings/rafters around the PVC vent pipe(then Grip Rite/the boot/then metal all fastened to this strong base/rafters/decking)then will put this little surrounding Ice Guard Fence around that pipe. (fence size will be about 18" square.)
He asked me today-----------boy this deck is solid---------do you know they ran 16" OC ???
I said yep-----2"x10" @ 16"OC, then two layers of 3/4" Marine plywood! (That is what I wanted) :wink:
Also asked them to double screws at eve purling(extra wind lift up protection)and at mason chimney build a deflection angled mini roof.So run off just does not slam chimney block!

GoatGuy--------I am trying friend! :wink:
I have found that using sugar instead of vinegar works magic when dealing with contractors. Make them like me so much they feel guilty! :lol: So much so there is this small section on the back where you might be able to see this tiny gap between seams.He has taken that section off 3 times and now says-----I am going to install full wood between purling's!(no extra cost)

They are doing a good job! :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

madman4570 wrote:Thanks friends! :wink:

I have found that using sugar instead of vinegar works magic when dealing with contractors. Make them like me so much they feel guilty! :lol: So much so there is this small section on the back where you might be able to see this tiny gap between seams.He has taken that section off 3 times and now says-----I am going to install full wood between purling's!(no extra cost)

They are doing a good job! :wink:

You get it!!

I've been in construction pushing thirty years and the people that are cool about an issue or appreciative of what
we've done get work that's "Above and Beyond" !!
At least from me.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

We be rocking today------------------2 extra dudes showed up(big dudes) they usually work for this crew days(but are also 2nd shift Prison Guards)and until today have been working 16hr days at the Prison.They only have this day off(then go back to doubles)

But------they be some strapping dudes! Pull up in a (black lifted Jeep Wrangler)got the black Carhartt work shorts/big black work belts/black tight fitting UnderArmor tees/(yep they pump weights too I bet)Black Bates Sniper Boots/and black skin tight nylon skull caps. :wink:

Dawning wire rimmed shades and both have goatees! Each about 6'4"" and probably 230lbs????

Thinking yep-------better make them some coffee and quick :shock: :lol: :D !