Which brand 1892?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dkraj
Levergunner

Which brand 1892?

Post by dkraj »

Hi all,

I'm interested in purchasing my first lever action carbine in 357mag/38spl like the Winchester 1892 (I have a Ruger Blackhawk in this same caliber). I'm a bit confused seeing how many different manufacturers there are offering what looks like essentially the same product for very different prices (Rossi, Uberti, Winchester/Miroku, Marlin, Henry, ...) Which of these would you say is the highest quality and has the least problems with jamming? I want a gun that will work very reliably with a smooth action.

Obviously, I don't want to spend more than is necessary but my main concern is quality. Cost is not an issue.

Thanks.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Which brand 1892?

Post by Streetstar »

New Winchester, or a gently used Browning would probably make you the happiest aesthetically speaking . But the Winchester does have a tang safety, while the Browning does not. Both have excellent build quality and good fit/finish etc.

A lot of guys on here have excellent results with the Rossi's too after they have spent a little time with them cleaning up the action a bit. I usually don't like to tinker with stuff too much, but the price the Rossi's usually sell for almost make it worth it (about half of what a Winchester cost)
----- Doug
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

First "Welcome" to the Forum.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to our little corner of the www, dkraj !

IMO, the various Model 92's aren't essentially the same product - they only look similar to each other.

Buyers pay their money & take their choice.

The best from a classic & quality POV is an original Winchester Model 1892, and the chamberings are still quite useful, even at a remove of 70-118 years.

A very close 2nd, with top-drawer workmanship/fit/finish, would be one of the Miroku ( Japanese) made Model 92's, beit a gently-used Browning B92 (.357 or .44 mag) or the new "Winchester" branded models ( .45Colt, .44-40, etc) with their lawyer safeties.

3rd place, IMO, is a buyer's personal choice between bling ($$$$ - Italian clones) or economy ( 1/2 $$$ - SA/Rossi) models that sometimes (not always) need a bit of work for best function (My 2 Rossi's - a .45 & a .357 - were great, out-of-the-box)

AFAIK, neither Marlin or Henry make a Model 92; and I don't believe Uberti does either (unless they've recently introduced one).
The Italian M92 clones are made by Armi Sport/Chiappa, branded with a copyrighted name (Puma), owned by a US importer (LSI/Legacy Sports Int) & once assigned (many years ago) to Rossi (now incorporated with Braztech/Taurus).

An easy-to-scope Marlin 1894 in .357 is OK, but a bit harder to come by than a Rossi - which is available with several different barrel lengths/configs @ half the $$$$ of an Italian .357 M92.

All are peepable, with the Browning, Rossi & Italian jobs needing a D/T to mount a peep (The Marlin peep's utilize the factory scope mout prep holes).

So - spend yer $$$, & take yer choice.................................. 8)

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAVE FOUR OF THOSE LISTED AND THEY ALL---ALL!!!---WORK JUST FINE THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello,

You might want to look at the photos I posted on page 2 in this old thread.
The Rossi rifle is called a Model 1892 but in fact uses a Model 1894 shaped receiver.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=38815

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Quote:
...The Italian M92s..."

....All are peepable, with the Browning,..."

Among the Chiappas, the "Puma" name is only associated with Legacy (LSI), and is also extended to their 1886s as well. LSI is but one of at least three Chiappa 92 importers, the other two being Cimarron and Taylor's.

About peeps, Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones) has a bolt safety switch replacement (plug) which doubles as a peep. All but the "original" (70s-90s) Interarms Rossis, Navy Arms, and pre 2006 EMFs have the safety switch atop the receiver, an uinloved feature by many.

I echo the suggestion of the Miroku Brownings if cost is no object. Still, be prepared to pay a premium--and perhaps look longer--for the .357 over the .44 Mag which were made in greater quantity). Amazing factoid no Winchester 92s have actually been made in the USA since 1941. If you find one in .357, it's been converted. Beware, some done better than others. The original Win 92s/1892s are easy to identify. If it says Winchester and there's no tang safety, it's a 1892-1941 gun. There may be a few cobbled together Brownings or others with replacement tangs, barrels etc, with "Winchester" on them, but these would be an extreme anomaly.

Good write ups here, to me they're all good again depending upon your budget and expectations. I've got a passel of pre safety Rossis which are all great, reliable shooters, and a few Brownings which are stellar pieces.

***Note my EDIT above adding "in the USA,"...is what I obviously meant :) ***
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Once upon a time, I would have listed the Winchester originals first, Browning/Miroku second, with both head and shoulders above the others. Then, I bought my Hartford-branded Rossi 92 -- 24" octagon barrel, curved steel buttplate, .45 Colt.

In side-by-side comparisons with both an original Winchester and a Browning, it is fully comparable in finish, as smooth-running as either of the others, and outstandingly accurate. The ugly bolt-mounted safety was easy to eliminate. For me, a gun's quality makes up more of its value than its brand name, and I honestly feel I would have been foolish to spend 2 or 3 times more for the Winchester or Browning name. All I wanted was a good-looking shooter, and that's what I got, with beaucoup $$$ left over for reloading components.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Pisgah wrote:Once upon a time, I would have listed the Winchester originals first, Browning/Miroku second, with both head and shoulders above the others. Then, I bought my Hartford-branded Rossi 92 -- 24" octagon barrel, curved steel buttplate, .45 Colt.

In side-by-side comparisons with both an original Winchester and a Browning, it is fully comparable in finish, as smooth-running as either of the others, and outstandingly accurate. The ugly bolt-mounted safety was easy to eliminate. For me, a gun's quality makes up more of its value than its brand name, and I honestly feel I would have been foolish to spend 2 or 3 times more for the Winchester or Browning name. All I wanted was a good-looking shooter, and that's what I got, with beaucoup $$$ left over for reloading components.
You make good points,...my dozen or so Rossis over the years have not disappointed... However I will still say "for the money." The original Winchesters--and Miroku Brownings--receivers were much more nicely rendered, lines wise (very early Rossis were better in that regard than recent decades when they started cost cutting), and at least apparent quality of the steel (I won't argue against the advances modern metallurgy...so let's compare only Winchesters of the late smokeless batch up to '41, and most certainly the Brownings. Putting my best Rossis--which include a dead ringer for spec to your 24" except my EMF's a pre-safety and .44 Mag--alongside an original mid production (Pre War) Win or a Browning is night and day. Don't forget the real walnut (or at least gum wood) used in these versus the Rossi mystery wood, abruptly truncated carbine forends, etc (again very early ones were better). So, if the aim is a "just" a reliable shooter, I'll agree. If you want a step beyond in look and feel and have the budget, the original Winchesters (not necessarily suggesting conversions) and Mirokus are the way to go, and of those two if I were to shoot it a lot and/or heavy, the Japanese Browning would get my vote.

If you're mostly concerned with "authentic look" but want something new versus an original Win, the Chiappas seem to have that historic look down pat--or at least better than anyone else--safety-less and details right down to the carbine ladder sight and saddle ring (the latter now only available on some Rossis, and the former not at all. (Miroku-Winchester had the ladder for awhile on one of theirs I believe now discontinued when they recently pared their line way back, but I may be wrong.) No, not everyone cares about these "original" features, but for that do the Chiappa is there. However, some have reported some extra detail work may be needed to make these as reliable shooters as the others. I think Steve Young reported he "had" to replace a bothersome small part with a Rossi piece - at least on an early example.
Lots of good choices.
My .02.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Between myself, siblings, nieces and nephews, and kids, we probably have bought 20 or more Rossi's in 357 Mag, 44-40, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt, plus I have a 454 Casull myself. NONE of them has ever jammed or proved less than acceptable in terms of accuracy. Maybe two of the twenty had wood-to-metal fit that wasn't "perfect", but you don't see many guns that are nowdays, regardless of manufacturer.

For the price of a "prestige" brand, you could get THREE Rossi's, pick the one that shoots best, then sell the others or give them as gifts or keep them as spares. . . or just get the one Rossi, and a couple thousand rounds of ammo, and HAVE FUN...!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I would also look hard at a used EMF branded Rossi made M92. We have two and I wish we had at least one or two more.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

For several years, Rossi made 92s for Navy Arms who imported them to the US and sold them as the 1892. Better fit and finish than a regular Rossi along with an American walnut stock instead of the Brazilian mystery wood. Quality wise, it's as good as any Marlin I've owned (and I've owned a bunch of 'em) and better than the last Japanese made Browning that I bought.

Mine is a tackdriving 24" octagon in 357 and it's not going anywhere. They don't come up for sale often but are well worth a look if you find one.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

For the OP, I'd think about getting a new Rossi from Steve (Nate Kiowa Jones) if he's got one set to go as he occasionally does (I did not see any though, I may have not been at the right spot on his site) - or if not in a hurry, buy used and send it off to him to do his magic (action job, mag follower, safety, perhaps sight etc). If used, just about any will do if sending it off to him anyway. My preference is for the older pre safety ones (pre 2006 EMF at the top of the list...Thanks to Steve's involvement, better sights and general trim level. If a very old Rossi (Interarms) like many of mine, the downside is sight options with its odd duck dovetail measurement. Steve developed a basic fix for a semi-buckhorn built off the old base IIRC, though I saw no mention of on his site.
Regarding the Navy Arms, very nice but very rare especially in carbine form.

OR, as many here have done - buy new/recent (with the safety) on your own...and get Steve's safety plug-replacement or peep-plug, mag follower and perhaps DVD describing fine tuning for DIY'ers. If sending to Steve anyway, finding a good buy used basically "saves" the $ to pay for Steve's basic package. Either way, ultimately you've got one smooth, reliable 92.
Indigo22
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Indigo22 »

Okay, ... I see you are avoiding the Henry Repeating Arms line of guns. Why "NOT" the Henry? I'm looking for a good .357 woods rifle too. I had been leaning toward the Henry as they have a loyal following with their 22's.
John

No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn't know it.

Paulo Coelho
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If it was me------------Honestly I would go to a larger dealer(that has many to choose from)look them over and (a gun to a man is like a diamond to a women-----one will just catch your eye)and grab it.

I would choose the Rossi-------bang for the buck(don't think it can be beat)and every time you pick it up you will smile and think what a darn fine rifle and for very few dollars!

Course this is from a guy that has a Ford Escape and a Kia Sportage (not a Yukon Denali)either! :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Rossi M92 is in .480 Ruger, but it is a great gun. I had to put a recoil pad on it, and that is all. It has never jammed or failed in any way. Accuracy is as good as I can see, so it is probably quite a lot better than what I actually get.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I like the Brownings and Winchesters best, but many of the others would likely be fine. I enjoy handling them and looking at the details, the Miroku made guns have never disappointed in fit, finish and detail. The lines are outstanding. I guess the other imported guns have improved their lines (particularly along the bottom edge of the receiver to the locking bolt flair), they used to bother me a lot just looking at them in the stores. I wouldn't have been happy with them. YMMV of course. I had a negative mechanical experience with an older Puma, but that seems like it may have been a fluke, most seem to have good experiences with them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Folks, as I read it, I don't think the OP is interested soley in 1892 style carbines.

I like the 1894 Marlins I've tried, but their quality is said to have fallen when production moved to a new plant (and company). The 1873s from Uberti seem to be smooth, but I've never fired one in .357 or the like. Early reports on the new 1873s from Winchester are favorable; all the Miroku models I've handled seem to be a step above the Uberti cosmetically, but I don't know how they compare mechanically.

edit: I failed to comprehend the title! Just skip the previous comments, please.
Last edited by KWK on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

I am also one of those people who'd rate the current Miroku made rifles a bit lower on scale than some of the clones. I'm not a fan of the very black looking blue they use and most have the signature very plain and only average finished wood.

There are basically two sources of Model 1892 copies - Rossi and Armi-Sport/Chiappa -but they are or have been in the past imported by several sources. The Armi- Sport/Chiappa clones have generally been pretty consistent in the level of fit and finish with the major importer selected differences being in configuration.

I really like the Armi Sport/Chiappa Model 1892 clones as they follow the original Winchester pattern and are nicely finished inside and out. I've found them to be very smooth and slick functioning weapons. I'm also partial to color case hardened finishes.

However, I also like the Rossi Model 92 as it is quite frankly a great bank for the buck. The basic carbine at $550-$600 won't inspire you out of the box, but once you clean the gunk off the metal (inside and out) you'll find nicely polished and blued exterior surfaces.

They all benefit from an action job but that a readily do-able DIY project with the video and/or action job kit you can get from Stevegunz.com. Some polishing a few mods to existing springs, a new ejector spring, and a metal magazine follower will leave you with a smooth functioning carbine.

The stock has an almost shoe polish like finish but it serves as a great walnut stain over whatever mystery wood Rossi uses. Many Rossi owners have found that try-oil applied over the top of the existing finish in the traditional manner will produce very nice looking wood.

Once all of the above is done, you'll have $600 invested in a rifle that has the same level of quality as a $1000-$1300 Model 92 Winchester or a Model 92 clone from Chiappa.

I am not a fan of the Rossi short rifle and rifle variants as they use such a god awful heavy barrel profile on them.

Quality is all over the road on the Rossi carbines and rifles so it is imperative to buy one in the flesh at a local gun shop. Be picky, inspect them carefully using a Rossi check list. You can find on at http://www.rossi-rifleman.com.

Quality has also varied over time and by importer as the various importers had various quality measures that had to be met, so that essentially set minimum standards for finish, function and wood used.

As noted above the receiver profile is different along the bottom edge, but what matters is the shorter overall length of the Model 92 versus the Model 94 and the Model 92 style locking and lever arrangement which is retained.

This is a Rossi 20" Carbine with Tru-Oil finished stock:

Besides the above mentioned difference in the receiver profile, they also use different tangs with the Rossi tang being slightly longer. Marbles makes different sights for the Rossi 92, but the Winchester Model 92 dimensioned sight base works fine on both of the Rossi and Armi-Sport/Chiappa Model 92s:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

dkraj wrote:Hi all,
I'm interested in purchasing my first lever action carbine in 357mag/38spl like the Winchester 1892 (I have a Ruger Blackhawk in this same caliber). I'm a bit confused seeing how many different manufacturers there are offering what looks like essentially the same product for very different prices (Rossi, Uberti, Winchester/Miroku, Marlin, Henry, ...) Which of these would you say is the highest quality and has the least problems with jamming? I want a gun that will work very reliably with a smooth action.
Obviously, I don't want to spend more than is necessary but my main concern is quality. Cost is not an issue.
Thanks.
Imageand welcome to THE Forum. One word of advice, leverguns, like semi- or full-autos, are overall cartridge length sensitive. Amongst brands, models and even individual guns, there is a wide range of variance in the ability of a gun to take on a wide difference in COAL such as found between the .38 Special and .357Magnum. Some will even have a time digesting some bullet shapes. The biggest culprits being semi- and wadcutter nose shapes. For the most part, these can be overcome.

1st, Original Winchester 1892, none were chambered in .38/.357. Over the years many were rechambered; however, it wasn't a particularily hard conversion, but did involve a rebore. I've seen a couple that were flawless, and one that you'd run from screaming... especially after you shot it...

Rossi, has made an 1892 clone for longer than anyone else... but like any manufactured product, it's seen changes over the years. My 2 late 1980's Rossi 1892 in .38/.357 took some work to run as fast as the wife and son could shoot them for Cowboy Action Shooting. For that game, yes, they need work to smooth the action and make sure they feed, fire and eject reliably. For the most part one uses one bullet and case (once you've settled on a load), so it's fairly easy to tune the rifle for that specific load. For other work, the owner might never need the speed aspect, but needs a rifle that works with a variety of loads. That too is do-able. If you're handy with tools, find an older Rossi that wasn't abused in cowboy action shooting (& some of those shooters can flat abuse a gun), and if it has issues, some judicious use of the tips provided on Nate Kiowa Jones' DVD or the tuning tips provided on Maruader's Rifle Hints should do the trick into turning your rifle into a "WonderKid." Maruader's site also includes hints about the Marlin 1894 & Winchester 94 models.

The Miroku built Browing and Winchester guns... are nice, even if the wood finish is a bit "plastic". But, chalk that up to personal taste, I just don't care for urethane finishes. Great protection, but not very... warm is the word I'd use. The Brownings are the more accurate clone, with none of the lawyer induced safeties of the ones now marked with the Winchester name. But, both are smooth well functioning model 1892 clones.

Armi-Sport/Chiappi 1892s, I have no direct experience with. Both others have related the same issue as with any levergun, cartridge length sensitivity. Also, be advised that if you buy one of these, and ever take it down, the bolt/lever pin isn't, it's a screw.

Marlin 1894, If you find a .38/.357 "Cowboy" or "Cowboy Competition" model made by Marlin (before the take-over by Remington), BUY it! These were hand-fitted and tuned guns. I haven't heard but very few problems with them... which were taken care of by the factory. These are good solid guns, capable of many years of excellent service. (I just don't like them).

Winchester 94 is a wonderful rifle, chambered in rifle length cartridges. It's not quite so good when chambered in pistol length cartridges... It can suffer feeding issues like none other. If I found one at the right price, I probably wouldn't pass it up, but I'd rework whatever caused the previous owner to sell it and... after some judicious use, I'd also pass it along. :P Don't get me wrong, I think they're the perfect rifle... in .30-30, afterall, I own enough of them! But, in a pistol caliber... not so much... if at all!

Henry Big Boy = boat anchor. But one with an excellent warranty, customer service and they are reliable. The pro & con feature is the same... mag tube loading ala a .22 rifle. I don't like dropping center fire rounds down on top of the bullet nose of another round. They have been known to detonate. Even tho' my 1860 Italian copy features the same loading... there is a very good reason Winchester eliminated this loading in favor of the King's Patent loading gate on the 1866 model. Just as I do with my 1860, loading is done slowly, with the gun held at a very shallow angle. On the "pro" side, unloading is done safely, w/o having to cycle rounds thru the action.

As I usually tell newcomers to the sport of cowboy action shooting... find places that might carry the different brands and get out and fondle them. One will talk to you... telling you that it's the ONE to buy. 8) And all detractors may gleefully join Satan. :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Indigo22 wrote:Okay, ... I see you are avoiding the Henry Repeating Arms line of guns. Why "NOT" the Henry? I'm looking for a good .357 woods rifle too. I had been leaning toward the Henry as they have a loyal following with their 22's.
The Henry is not an 1892 style rifle (and the title of the thread states 1892 ) and it is far too heavy for caliber for me to recommend to anybody, but they are nice rifles as far as fit and finish goes

the tube style magazine loading on the centerfire Henry's is also a turn off for many, but I do love their 22's
----- Doug
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

Howdy and welcome to the fire.

I have been working the 92's for almost 25 years now. I can sell you any of them you might want or work on any of them you send to me.
That said, there is no doubt in my mind, the best bang for the buck is the Rossi. the Miruko Browning B92 is a real close clone of the original in modern steel but they are no longer made and are expensive now days, particularly the 357m version because they made very few compared to the 44mag. the one flaw that they have that the Rossi doesn't have is the geometry of the shell guides are based on the originals but the originals were designed for bottleneck ammo. So, the B92 tends to be more ammo sensitive. The current Win/Miruko 92 has the same problem but to make matter worse it is all lawyered up with useless liability parts that make them terrible to tune and run smooth. The Chiappa doesn't have that problem but it too has old style shell guides.
The Miruko 92 and the Chiappa are nice in the fit of the parts and finish of the wood and metal. But, you have to take in to account that about 30% of the cost to build a gun like that goes toward the final fit and finish because that’s all hand work. What that means is just because it looks well fitted and finish it doesn't guaranty it will work right. Sort of like a custom paint on a pinto. All show, no go.

A note about the add-on liability parts in the Miruko/wins. Besides the obvious tang safety, they have rebounding hammers (=heavily over sprung) , a 5 piece inertia firing pin, (too short to reach the prime so it has to be hit hard enough to carry forward) a lever actuated 4 piece trigger block.
All this junk can be changed back to a traditional style fire control parts but it isn't a cheap conversion. Beside the parts, it requires some machining, some welding and metal refinishing. In my not so humble opinion this is the only way to get a really smooth action from this gun.
Here is one of the Miruko/Win engraved high grades I just finished recently. It now has the original style 1/4 cock hammer, one piece firing pin, one piece trigger, the tang safety removed the hole welded up, then the receiver, trigger hammer, forend cap and crescent butt plate color-case hardened.

My take on the Rossi is they aren't finished. Rossi has improved tremendously since re-tooling in 2000. But, they still tend to make the parts usually a tad on the too large side. then slap them together with out any hand fitting because they know the poor engagement of the various parts can be covered up with excessively heavy springs. Think of the man-hours they save building guns like this.
Think of the Rossi as a partially completed kit gun that you get to finish like you want.

Here's a Rossi 24" oct in 45lc that has been converted to 454 Casull. I like the Tu-Tone look so some of the parts got plated and the wood finish was upgraded stain and Tru-Oil.

As for the Henry Big Boy, they are well made but have negatives. The front load twin magazine tubes and octagon barrel make it terribly front heavy for my taste. Next, the action is not near as strong as the 92.
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Steve, your video and parts sure made for a great tune up on my Interarms Rossi .357 SRC, thanks.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nate Kiowa Jones wrote:Howdy and welcome to the fire.

I have been working the 92's for almost 25 years now. I can sell you any of them you might want or work on any of them you send to me.
That said, there is no doubt in my mind, the best bang for the buck is the Rossi. the Miruko Browning B92 is a real close clone of the original in modern steel but they are no longer made and are expensive now days, particularly the 357m version because they made very few compared to the 44mag. the one flaw that they have that the Rossi doesn't have is the geometry of the shell guides are based on the originals but the originals were designed for bottleneck ammo. So, the B92 tends to be more ammo sensitive. The current Win/Miruko 92 has the same problem but to make matter worse it is all lawyered up with useless liability parts that make them terrible to tune and run smooth. The Chiappa doesn't have that problem but it too has old style shell guides.
The Miruko 92 and the Chiappa are nice in the fit of the parts and finish of the wood and metal. But, you have to take in to account that about 30% of the cost to build a gun like that goes toward the final fit and finish because that’s all hand work. What that means is just because it looks well fitted and finish it doesn't guaranty it will work right. Sort of like a custom paint on a pinto. All show, no go.

A note about the add-on liability parts in the Miruko/wins. Besides the obvious tang safety, they have rebounding hammers (=heavily over sprung) , a 5 piece inertia firing pin, (too short to reach the prime so it has to be hit hard enough to carry forward) a lever actuated 4 piece trigger block.
All this junk can be changed back to a traditional style fire control parts but it isn't a cheap conversion. Beside the parts, it requires some machining, some welding and metal refinishing. In my not so humble opinion this is the only way to get a really smooth action from this gun.

My take on the Rossi is they aren't finished. Rossi has improved tremendously since re-tooling in 2000. But, they still tend to make the parts usually a tad on the too large side. then slap them together with out any hand fitting because they know the poor engagement of the various parts can be covered up with excessively heavy springs. Think of the man-hours they save building guns like this.
Think of the Rossi as a partially completed kit gun that you get to finish like you want.

As for the Henry Big Boy, they are well made but have negatives. The front load twin magazine tubes and octagon barrel make it terribly front heavy for my taste. Next, the action is not near as strong as the 92.

From the horse's mouth to your ear - read & heed.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Analyze all you want on the different brands. There's only one that will give you dependable operation AND a 100%+ cash back return............an original '92.

No, they are not out of reach financially. For about the same or a couple of hundred more than a Japchester, you can own, enjoy, fondle, all the while knowing you will get your investment back (and then some)..........the real deal, 1892 Winchester.-----Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Sixgun wrote:Analyze all you want on the different brands. There's only one that will give you dependable operation AND a 100%+ cash back return............an original '92.

No, they are not out of reach financially. For about the same or a couple of hundred more than a Japchester, you can own, enjoy, fondle, all the while knowing you will get your investment back (and then some)..........the real deal, 1892 Winchester.-----Sixgun

Now, aint that cool.
That converted Miruko above has just about the same engraving but it the rolled on, not to deep. Hard to see the details with the color-case now.

205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Pete44ru wrote:
Nate Kiowa Jones wrote:Howdy and welcome to the fire.

I ....................................

From the horse's mouth to your ear - read & heed.

Wife said you got the horse part right but you're looking at the wrong end. :lol:

205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sixgun wrote:Analyze all you want on the different brands. There's only one that will give you dependable operation AND a 100%+ cash back return............an original '92.

I've come close a few time to selling/trading my '92 in 25/20 off cuz I have way too many 22mags, both pistols/rifles and ammo. But everytime I sit in the garage on a rainy night looking at it. Especially at the checkering on the hammer and realizing someone cut it by hand with a file I am unable to let it go. I got lucky with both my Puma's in 357 and 45. They feed and shoot everything so far with amazing accuracy. Wish I had gotten a 38/40 or 44/40 homemade "trapper" 92 b4 I bought my 45. But hindsight is like an empty beer can. :lol:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

3leggedturtle wrote:

I've come close a few time to selling/trading my '92 in 25/20 off cuz I have way too many 22mags, both pistols/rifles and ammo. But everytime I sit in the garage on a rainy night looking at it. Especially at the checkering on the hammer and realizing someone cut it by hand with a file I am unable to let it go. I got lucky with both my Puma's in 357 and 45. They feed and shoot everything so far with amazing accuracy. Wish I had gotten a 38/40 or 44/40 homemade "trapper" 92 b4 I bought my 45. But hindsight is like an empty beer can. :lol:
Turtleman,
You know something, keep the original 92. Save it for an heir and don't feel guilty about having too many guns because guilt is a manmade emotion! :D

Sometimes we have to spill our guts and there's no time like right NOW.

I have been seriously addicted to leverguns since I was about 2 or so. :D So after Dad bought me a few 30-30 Winchesters and I started earning money on my own, I wanted MORE. So I learned more and more on the leverguns, bought books, fantasized on all of these out of production Winchesters that I never saw in my life, and took the plunge, bought an 1873, second model with no finish for $300. This was back in 1973 when I made $4 an hour AND......................AND.............................AND...........................ORIGINALS WERE THE ONLY WAY TO SATISFY THE ADDICTION. So once you play with and own the originals, there's no sensible reason to take a step backward. :D

For a working man to own the originals takes a lot of thinking.......and buying every book that was ever written........and making every possible connection that can lead on to the path of true happiness with the upmost of satisfaction-----------the originals! :D KEEP YOUR ORIGINALS, the copies are just that, COPIES!!!!. THERE ARE MILLIONS OF ORIGINALS out there! BE A MAN, buy or steal an original.......(OK guys, I just got outta bed and my batteries are 100% charged. I know, I know, I'm an azz....thank you very much -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD