Scope (scout) mount for lever guns ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Scope (scout) mount for lever guns ?

Post by foxtrapper »

I have a xs rail on my 1894p works well. Now I have a couple of marlin 1895's that no rail out there will fit. One is a octagon barrel cowboy that xs does not make a rail for . I also have a custom round barrel that does not have a rear dovetail cut to anchor the xs sight. Midway has a steel 9" rail that has no holes drilled . If I have a smith drill the rail for the four receiver holes and let the rail cantilever over the barrel , think that would work? The rail is steel ,the 1895's are heavy kickers 45/70 ,50ak. I would love to scout scope or red dot these rifles as it's getting a little fuzzy out in the world :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scope (scout) mount for lever guns ?

Post by Pete44ru »

The original/early XS LeverScout short rail worked well on my 1894P, also - but XS now makes a longer rail, which I'm confident could be made to fit your rifles with a bit of planning/work.

I would sugest grinding of filing the underside of the XS base dead flat to fit the octagon bbl & the receiver top(s).
One end of the base might need to be either shimmed or milled, so the base sits level with the bore.

If using the gunsmith rail, I would suggest keeping in mind the final scout scope mounting position, relative to the shooter's sighting eye in shooting position - Most of the Scout Scopes (Burris/Leupold) have about 7-1/2"-9" of eye relief; handgun scopes an eye relief window of either 9"-17" or 11" - 21" .

Any scope positioning beyond those parameters would result in something less than a clear/full sight picture, even unto completely blacked-out. (BT, DT - NTS)

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scope (scout) mount for lever guns ?

Post by BigSky56 »

Bsquare makes a 2 part rail system the base anchors in the receiver holes and the rail is adjustable its alum but tough check it out on brownells site I use a bsquare scout mount on my model 62 . I believe weaver makes one too. danny
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mountin ... d1770.aspx