Pellet gun targets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Pellet gun targets

Post by earlmck »

A fair number of us levergunners shoot a pellet gun to keep the shootin' eye sharp. I've used several different targets for this effort, but several years ago I decided I wasn't real fond of any of the commercially available ones and the "printer friendly" ones I found online weren't particularly different. So I designed my own that I like and that I have been happily using. I ran out yesterday so sat down today and printed off a batch of the "9bulls" target that I use for my shooting (the "4bulls" and "1bull" I use as grandkid-friendly targets).

It occurred to me that some other folks might prefer these "print your own" also. Unfortunately by the time they get "squozed down" to fit our Leverguns site requirement they loose some definition, but I don't think that'll be an issue for 10 meter shooting. I tried this out and it seems to work, just "right click" on desired target, do a "save image as" to save somewhere you can find it; then find it and double-click it and print it out using the "fit to page" option.
Pellettarget9bullslargecenter.jpg
Pellettarget4bullslargecenter.jpg
Pellettarget1bulllargecenter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Re: Pellet gun targets

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks! :D

My favorite pellet-gun targets are reactive. I have a target to hang pop cans from, placed in my back yard, where I can snipe from my office window. A pop can is also about the size of a squirrel, and placing them at that distance ensures my pellet gun is sighted in for maximum tree-rat effectiveness.

I also like shooting ketchup packets. They explode nicely when hit squarely with a pellet, and then the ketchup attracts the squirrels, once again into a known range/distance.

Heck, it's war here with those darn things! They just caused over $3K worth of damage to my neighbor's attic. They have got to go!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Squirrels+attic=bad news!

Nice target Earl.

I like empty shotshells :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm cheap. I use a steel pellet trap so I can melt down the expended pellets and use them as pure lead when casting other bullets...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"Squirrels+attic=bad news!"

That's for sure! My parents had squirrels in their attic,
and tried every non-lethal means they could think of to drive
them away, for quite some time.

Then a friend of theirs burned to death in a fire caused by squirrels
gnawing on wiring insulation in her attic.

After that, they were terminated with extreme prejudice on sight!!

Can you say "Air Arms TX-200?" Very good -- I knew that you could!! :mrgreen:
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When in a city apartment, I had a steel pellet-trap at the end of our hallway and from the couch (prone position resting on the arm-end) it was 21 feet or so. My goal was to shoot the 0.177" pellet through the hole in a peppermint lifesaver, and once in a while, I actually could do it. Mostly just shattered lots of candy... :D

Another FUN target that is 'biodegradeable' is ANIMAL CRACKERS; you can then say you "shot a zebra with your pellet rifle". I've done that as an exercise with kids whose moms didn't like guns, but were sort of (barely) ok with me teaching them "gun safety" using a pellet gun. Of course what the mom assumed was a mere 'safety lesson' was often the coolest thing her poor stifled kid had ever done, and he or she was hooked on 'shooting sports' once they went on a 'safari' and killed a few dozen animal crackers... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Another cool backyard target is a 2X4 cut about 12 inches long with holes drilled on one of the 4 inch sides that will hold a stick for one of those cheap suckers that come in bags at almost any store that sells candy. When hit with a pellet, the suckers explode. The sugar attracts bugs, and if you get an accurate enough gun, bugs are fun to try to hit. That is a challenge from 10 feet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Great paper targets. It is always nice to have a great challenge that will test your skills.
I do like reactive targets as well, when I first taught my girls to shoot, I took a golf ball and drove a nail into it and hung it on a string from a tree outback approx. 15 yrds from our deck. Kids love reactive targets, they give the shooter an immediate visual reward when the shooter executes the shot properly.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dirty paper plate.....Flies..... :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

a friend has very tiny silhouette animals, the standard shapes, but 2" wide or so. Reactive and true to the sport. They were not expensive either.

How about those square orange crackers, "Cheezit" I think? Good color for shooting and attracts critters later.

I also like taking a hole puncher and punching out yellow circles from labels (so they have the adhesive back). Then stick them on a black background.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

You can rip a 1/4" deep cut the length of a short 2x4 and place Ritz crackers into them for exploding small targets that the birds will clean up for you later. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Here is my MK I pellet rifle trap assembled back in March 2013

This was the results of the third time I cleaned out the trap

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Thank-you for the targets, earlmck. Much appreciated and we will use them as we shoot air guns a lot. In fact, we have built a nice air gun range on our property with targets at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 meters. Every distance has spinner targets and some also have pellet traps for paper targets. Unfortunately, we can't risk using food for targets as we do have bears in the yard, at times.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J35nut wrote:Here is my MK I pellet rifle trap assembled back in March 2013

This was the results of the third time I cleaned out the trap

---J
Nice. Great minds think alike!
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

on those long-ago days at employ when it wasn't so busy, a few of us would keep our brain active by designing targets ..... here's a couple:

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Interesting variety of targets you pelletgunners have come up with. I maybe should have titled this post "Pellet gun targets of the boring old style where you hang it in front of the pellet trap and try to keep 20 shots inside the circle". Mostly intended for us folks facing cold, blowy winters who want to go out to the garage and shoot 20 or 40 shots, several times per week to keep the eye and the trigger finger in tune.

That homemade trap from j35nut looks like it has good potential for the same objective -- I may try one of those for keeping the grandkids interested.

And North Country Gal -- a whole pelletgun range? Out to 50 meters? That's serious pelletgunning. I'm not sure my old crossman can even shoot 50 meters.

We don't have squirrels to use as targets around here, and it sounds like maybe that's a real good thing, though I can see they'd be fun targets. The closest I have is the collared doves that have invaded and are not yet protected by game laws. But my wife has no sense of "proper" and she seems to enjoy these danged invader doves as much as she did the old morning doves and I'm probably not going to get away with shooting very many of them. And that wouldn't qualify as "practice" -- I'd be lucky to get 2 shots per week at those wary fellows.

So as Nath says, "Keep on shootn"!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I shoot a lot of bulls-eye type paper target's and air gun silhouette targets, that's what those two push pins are for sticking near the top of the trap.

I can usually squeeze in a hour to shoot air rifles two or three evenings a week all outdoors as long as is not falling weather or blowing 20MPH I go for it.

I have a older Bluestreak and a newer HW30S, they both wear Williams aperture sights.

My powder burner's all wear scopes so the air rifles with aperture sights are kind of a challenge and keeps me interested.

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pretty nifty Earl. I keep things pretty simple.

I got on the company computer and made up several different sized squares for various distances and saved them to the "documents". Then I wait for the boss to go to one of his meetings and run off 3 or 400 hundred at a time. 6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Outstanding targets for printing and ideas for reactive targets. I'm a leave only footprints kinda guy (full disclosure the odd but well built and cold fire place might survive my visit). I can now sleep soundly knowing my girls can break crackers and we can drive home after, brilliant ideas guys.