looking for 357 load recommendations for my rossi m92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

looking for 357 load recommendations for my rossi m92

Post by silverback57 »

I am going to start reloading and figured this would be the place to ask what recommendations people have for bullet molds for my rossi m92 that would also work with my ruger security six's. I am thinking about staying with the 158 grain 1100 to 1300 fps out of the 4 inch six and would like to use same for the lever gun. I was also thinking swc for a bullet.

anyone have any recommendations on bullets, loads, and molds. I would like to keep leading to minimum as well.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: looking for 357 load recommendations for my rossi m92

Post by Tycer »

I recommend you move up to the 180s for both. WFNGC bullet design. The 180's really shine ing the rifle and will do fine in the shortie too. The 180 can be loaded down for plinking or up for hunting. The fps you list is correct with the 180 in a 4" for full power loads. Bump up to 1300+ for the 160s. Stay away from SWC profiles in the rifle. They are not ideal for hunting or self defense and sometimes will hang-up on rifles when cycling.

I like LBT molds.
http://www.lbtmoulds.com/moulds.shtml

The 38-180-FN is what I'm talking about.
The 38-160-FN would be my second choice.
Buy the book Jacketed Performance From Lead Bullets.

Cast out of WW with 2% tin and a small % magnum shot for antimony and water drop the ones for SD and hunting.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

For loads out of a handgun & out of a rifle I prefer the 180s over either LiLgun or 2400.

If I am loading for just the Rifle for Social Work/plinking, then the Lyman 358156 GCHP over whatever loading of 2400 that provides the most accuracy regardless of velocity is what I'm shooting for. Unfortunately, I haven't loaded enough of the 358156s to find that sweet spot yet... mainly because I've been set up for 180s and then I took everything apart to move and haven't set it back up yet.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

+1 on the LBT molds and be sure to buy Veral's book.

Veral's wife uses a 180 grain .357 for her elk rifle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Lee makes a couple the 158 tumble lube SWC and a 158 RNFP both are flat base and will work for you for general purpose, practice and deer if you go hunting big game bear and elk get some 180-185 HCGC they penetrate so do 200's. 2400 and AA5744 are excellent for cast bullets. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Since you're askin' about molds, you're gonna have to alloy your lead on the hard side of Lyman #2 to avoid leading in the rifle. The rifle should put that 1300fps out of a 4" barrel well above 1400fps from a carbine's 16-20" barrel. Or you gas-check 'em.

Since leverguns are length and nose shape sensitive, like a autoloader, I'd BUY some bullets of the shape you're thinking about before investing in a mold.

My 2 Rossi .357s like either truncated cones or round, flatnose shapes best. Both can give excellent accuracy and smooth reliable feeding in the carbines when sized properly and set to an overall length the carbine likes. My mdl 65 Smith doesn't care! :P :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

I have been giving my question more consideration. Lets just say that for conversation sake the 158 and 125 sjhp at their perspective factory loads are good to go.

What I am after is a round for a bad times scenario. One that an individual can cast and load himself. One that will function in a revolver and lever gun. One that can pull dual duty SD and hunting small to medium game. a load that will minimize leading.

In this situation I am not necessarily concerned about over penetration as I am more concerned about terminal effectiveness.

1. initial consideration would be bullet design to work with the lever gun.
2. bullet weight and hardness
3. primer sp or magnum
4. powder and charge.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

silverback57 wrote:I have been giving my question more consideration. Lets just say that for conversation sake the 158 and 125 sjhp at their perspective factory loads are good to go.

What I am after is a round for a bad times scenario. One that an individual can cast and load himself. One that will function in a revolver and lever gun. One that can pull dual duty SD and hunting small to medium game. a load that will minimize leading.

In this situation I am not necessarily concerned about over penetration as I am more concerned about terminal effectiveness.
My post. If you want, Veral will cut it plain based. Slug your barrels and have the mold cut .002"larger.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

silverback57 wrote:I have been giving my question more consideration. Lets just say that for conversation sake the 158 and 125 sjhp at their perspective factory loads are good to go.

Until I bought my 180gr WFNGC I would have gone with my 158gr SWCHPGC (356158). Now, If I was SO desperate for alloy that I was pinching grains, then I might still go that route, but the 180 just works better - especially for SD and larger game. However when pushed to the same velocities as the 158 (on the lower end) will really show marginal difference on small game.

(Note, the design of the 358156 HP allows for the creation of hardened steel HV penetrators using Zinc as your primary LW alloy. The 180s don't work so well for that...).
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Almost any RNFP design should feed and shoot well in your Rossi.
I would, as Griff suggests, buy some samples of the design to test before spending money on a mold.
If you are going to buy a Lee mold,that is not as important due to their low cost.
Remember though that low cost = lesser durability. That said, I own dozens of lee molds,I just don`t expect them to hold up like a top quality Saeco/RCBS/Lyman mold will.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

yep I am thinking of taking everyone's bullet design suggestions buy the various designs and weights to work up loads. I never really had given 180 grain much thought as I thought it would be to heavy and if pushed to 12-1300 fps would be a little much for fast follow up shots. I will have to give it a try and see what I shoot the best with. I guess I have a lot of work cut out for me before I start cranking out bulk lots for storage. yeah more fun.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

silverback57 wrote:yep I am thinking of taking everyone's bullet design suggestions buy the various designs and weights to work up loads. I never really had given 180 grain much thought as I thought it would be to heavy and if pushed to 12-1300 fps would be a little much for fast follow up shots. I will have to give it a try and see what I shoot the best with. I guess I have a lot of work cut out for me before I start cranking out bulk lots for storage. yeah more fun.
If you want to try the 180s, then buy either the Grizzly or the Buffalo Bore. (Buffalo Bore is available at Cabelas. Don't know about the Grizzly.)

The Buffalo Bore hits 1800 from my Rossi and 1200 from my Ruger SP101. It's snappy, but fast enough from a rifle for an "eyes on" followup shot.

My 180 gr loads mimic the Buffalo Bore in bullet weight, hardness, profile & performance. FWIW it will utterly destroy a whitetail's shoulder at 110 yds...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Unless you are doing a short range CAS shoot, you probably won't find a best load for both guns. When I had an Uberti SAA in 357, and a Rossi 92 in 357, the twist rates were different. 1:18 for the Uberti, 1:30*correctedpost* for the Rossi.

For a CAS shoot, I loaded a 140 grain Hornady cowboy with 5 gr. Unique and wailed away. However, for acuracy, the Uberti prefered a different bullet and load.

As well, the Uberti had really loose chambers and a tight bore, so I had to adapt for that as well.

One bullet that worked very well for both, for a non CAS use was the Total Metal Jacket 140 grain. I forget who makes it, but that shot great at a real 357 magnum load out of both guns.

For lead bullets, the larger loads worked better for the rifle, with a hard cast bullet while the Uberti liked an oversized soft bullet.
Last edited by FatJackDurham on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

You might want to try some 180 gr bullets in your Rossi before you buy a mold. The Rossi has a 30" twist and if 180's are accurate at all it will be at max loadings(1500-1700 fps). At the velocity you want to shoot at (1100-1300) I'd be surprised if there is any accuracy past 50 yds. Marlin and Winchester .357 levers have 16" twists and handle heavier bullets much better.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Interesting. Of course, I've never pushed a 180 at anything but Max or Min (catsneeze) velocities, so I was unaware of stabilization issues in the 1300fps range...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I think that a 158 will handle all your needs you can get flat base bullets and if they run to fast and lead your rifle barrel sage outdoors makes a alumi gas check that fits a flatbase bullet just run them thru your sizer base first. A 158 isnt too far behind a 180 in penetration. Ranch Dog outdoors has a 175 WFN bullet. danny
http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/index.php? ... er=product
http://ranchdogoutdoors.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

retmech wrote:You might want to try some 180 gr bullets in your Rossi before you buy a mold. The Rossi has a 30" twist and if 180's are accurate at all it will be at max loadings(1500-1700 fps). At the velocity you want to shoot at (1100-1300) I'd be surprised if there is any accuracy past 50 yds. Marlin and Winchester .357 levers have 16" twists and handle heavier bullets much better.
Good call on the buy before you try. Lots of folks sell LBT bullets.
I think he was talking about the shorty running 1100-1300, not the rifle. I certainly was.
Kind regards,
Tycer
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

Tycer wrote:
retmech wrote:You might want to try some 180 gr bullets in your Rossi before you buy a mold. The Rossi has a 30" twist and if 180's are accurate at all it will be at max loadings(1500-1700 fps). At the velocity you want to shoot at (1100-1300) I'd be surprised if there is any accuracy past 50 yds. Marlin and Winchester .357 levers have 16" twists and handle heavier bullets much better.
I think he was talking about the shorty running 1100-1300, not the rifle. I certainly was.
your re correct sir. I was concerned about the revolver running 1100-to 1300 and its ability to get quick follow up shots. I would figure the rifle would produce better numbers.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

silverback57 wrote:
Tycer wrote:
your re correct sir. I was concerned about the revolver running 1100-to 1300 and its ability to get quick follow up shots. I would figure the rifle would produce better numbers.
Well, in that case, the BB/Eq 180gr WFN runs right at 1200 from a 2.5" SP101...

It WILL get your attention... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you order an LBT mould from Veral, he will cutone cavity as
GC and one plain if you like.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Sorry, I meant 1:30. I have edited my original post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As far as the powders, you will never go wrong with 2400 in heavy loads for a .357, but you might try H110 also. L'iL Gun from Hodgdon is great for my pistols in .44 Magnum and .480 Ruger, but it is not quite as accurate in the rifles in those calibers. For the rifles, I also like H4227 since it gives much better velocity and accuracy from a rifle than from a handgun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost