"The Bullet's Flight" By Franklin W. Mann

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

"The Bullet's Flight" By Franklin W. Mann

Post by octagon »

This is a reissue book with penciled notes by Harry M. Pope. A study of small arms ballistics from about 1900, I picked up this book a few days ago and it is marked 440 of 1000. Over three hundred ballistic experiments with many barrels provided by Mr Pope, this is a very interesting read so far, yet I had never heard of it before. I wonder have any of you boys ever read it?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: "The Bullet's Flight" By Franklin W. Mann

Post by Terry Murbach »

YEP !!! AT LEAST FIFTY YEARS AGO. YOURS IS THE WOLFE PUBLISHING COMPANY EDITION WITH THE PENCIL NOTES BY HARRY POPE IF MEMORY SERVES.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Bought my re-print from Wolf Publishing Company in the mid- to late 1980's. Dr. Mann definitely was a rifle "crank". Would not mind having a "Shooting Gibraltar" as he called his concrete, set into the ground shooting bench. Some parts of the book I found extremely dry and difficult reading. Should pick it up and give it another go.

A few years ago, the American Single Shot rifle Association (ASSRA) magazine had an article about Dr. Mann. According to the article, he was writing another book when he died, but his heirs discarded the draft and his notes. In an earlier (or was it a later issue??) an ASSRA member published some pictures of Dr. Mann's shooting area and the location of his "Shooting Gibraltar".
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is a free download PDF or Kindle somewhere I think.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy Folks,
Found it here as a .PDF file: (14MB)

http://castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWor ... _targe.pdf

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Snagged the real thing several years ago (includes a correction page for mistakes in the text) at a basement sale of old worn out books from the Fresno City Library... Another cool one I got was a book on maintaining the Curtis JN 4...Loaned out that one :cry: ... Still have Mann's though :D

Read his experiments on damaged muzzles if you want an eye opener...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Thanks for the link.

Looks like good stuff.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I first checked that book out of the library in 1954 and read it three or four times over the next two years. I have the same reprint you have and still read parts of it from time to time.
ndnchf
Levergunner

Post by ndnchf »

I bought the same edition 20+ years ago with Harry's notes. A facinating reference.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Mann was an MD who got sticking rich selling the rights to a machine he invented to grind chicken bones into meal. He spent the rest of his life delving into why bullets did what they did. He had a scientific bend due to his education, so he was very methodical.

The book can be very technical and deadly dull in places, but it is still a valuable resource for folks with the same interest as Mann.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Mann was an MD who got stinking rich selling the rights to a machine he invented to grind chicken bones into meal. He spent the rest of his life delving into why bullets did what they did. He had a scientific bend due to his education, so he was very methodical.

The book can be very technical and deadly dull in places, but it is still a valuable resource for folks with the same interest as Mann.