Tell me about this levergun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Tell me about this levergun.

Post by TedH »

I might have a chance to buy one of these locally, a Winchester 9422M Tribute rifle. It is one identical to the top rifle in this pic that I just found online. It has the Winchester pony engraved on the right side of the receiver, and a tribute design on the left side. It is in great condition, I'd say LNIB. I've never seen one of these before, so I'm assuming it would be somewhat more desirable than a standard 9422M.
413.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Tell me about this levergun.

Post by gamekeeper »

Any 9422M would be desirable but that one does have a bit extra...... :D :mrgreen:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
TheWoodCrafter
Levergunner

Post by TheWoodCrafter »

Is it the 1 of 222 or the one of 9422 Tribute?

The serial number will either begin with FTC or FTH.

The FTC model had a total production of 222.
Pretty rare gun for sure.
Production of the FTH never reached 9422. I don't think there is a correct total production number available.

I think all of these were born in 2005.
TheWoodCrafter
Levergunner

Post by TheWoodCrafter »

Looking at your picture again, the top one looks like either a High Grade Tribute Legacy or a Special edition Legacy Tribute.

Again, production figures are not available.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The left side of the receiver says, "Model 9422 Tribute" in little banners. I'll try to find another pic online. I don't have any pics of this actual gun, and won't be able to see it again for a few days. Serial number begins with FTSXXXX.

Found this pic online, but this is the same.

NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Here's a little better pic I found.

NRA Life Member
TheWoodCrafter
Levergunner

Post by TheWoodCrafter »

My records don't show that serial number prefix.
But with that inscription and no scroll engraving around it, it is most likely the Special Edition Legacy Tribute.
Will shoot 22mag and 22LR.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

TheWoodCrafter
Levergunner

Post by TheWoodCrafter »

That one is the Special Edition Legacy Tribute model.
Good to know about the serial number.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It would make a fine pistol caliber silhouette rifle, but.......have you seen what 22 mag ammo costs today? You can shoot full throttle hand loaded 44 mag ammo cheaper. But that's me, you may have a big stash of it. :D ------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Woodcrafter, you mean it'll shoot .22 magnum OR .22LR. Not interchangeable in anything but a two-cylindered revolver.

I can see a collector buying one of these special editions, but not a shooter/hunter. Mostly people who have them buy them as "investments" (jury is still out about that, IMO) or simply because they are pretty. Nothing wrong with either, but it seems a shame to let one of the best small game/utility rifles ever made just sit. And the plain Jane ones shoot just as well.

ALL of these 9422s, magnum and regular .22 have escalated 'way up in price since they stopped making them. So if you can find one in decent shape at a "regular shootin' .22" price, and turn it around in the Winchester enthusiast marketplace (like right here!), you might make a good few $$.

But I'd find it hard to sell if I found another one reasonable; my green laminate stock 9422M is now used by my older son. For just about everything. A farmer/gunshop owner/log broker friend of mine in upstate NYS carries one all the time he's drivin' on dirt. Calls it his "Dispatcher."
TheWoodCrafter
Levergunner

Post by TheWoodCrafter »

Mike Armstrong wrote:Woodcrafter, you mean it'll shoot .22 magnum OR .22LR. Not interchangeable in anything but a two-cylindered revolver.
I guess I didn't word that right did I.

"They were chambered in 22mag OR 22LR."
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Like the coyotes say, "No farm, no howl"!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While I like, and have owned/shot a dozen different 9422 models (a Legacy included) over the years, IMHO one would have to be a fairly rabid 9422 collector to pay more than any other NIB 9422 for a Legacy Model, "Tribute" or not.

Especially if the intent is to actually use (shoot) one.

They were factory "collectibles", made to increase sales & appeal to those interested in such - much like the post-64 Model 94 commemoratives.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Pete44ru wrote:.

While I like, and have owned/shot a dozen different 9422 models (a Legacy included) over the years, IMHO one would have to be a fairly rabid 9422 collector to pay more than any other NIB 9422 for a Legacy Model, "Tribute" or not.

I have no use for a 22 mag, so that's what I'm counting on, as long as I can pick it up for a good price. There are fairly rabid collectors out there from what I'm finding out. Found some of these rifles that have sold for some some big money.
NRA Life Member