PICS from Lever Action Jubilee Ridgway, PA added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

PICS from Lever Action Jubilee Ridgway, PA added

Post by w30wcf »

This is a nice get together for folks who like leverguns and steel targets. Lots of fellowship and fun! :D :D
Shoot at your own pace. Lots of talk about leverguns.! :D Shoot at the first target until you hit it, then the next 9 in a row. :D :D :D

Lever Action Jubilee
Bring your Marlins / Winchesters / Savages, etc.
& numerous rounds of ammunition
(jacketed or cast bullets)

To: Ridgway Rifle Club, Ridgway, PA
October 12 & 13
For some lever action silhouette fun!
- Bring as many rifles as you want! Some for show too!
- Two classes: iron sights / scope
- Use a different rifle at each distance if you want to
- Entry fee: $5.00 per day - shoot one or both days
- Cartridges may be single loaded

Saturday, October 12
Course of fire: chickens - 200m / pigs - 300m / turkeys - 385m / rams - 500m
Shooting position: freestyle (no cross sticks, etc. but slings are ok)
Shoot at the first target until hit, then the next 9 targets in succession
Match = 40 shots + all the sighting shots you need – no time limit
Side match - Tres Banditos - Fastest time on five targets @ 300 meters
8:00 - Range open for sighting in & practice
1:00 - 1st relay to the firing line.

Sunday, October 13
Course of fire: ½ size chickens - 40m / pigs - 50m / turkeys - 75m / rams - 100m
Shooting position: offhand (standing) NOTE: .22 R.F. & Pistol Ctg. only
Shoot at the first target until hit, then the next 9 targets in succession
Match = 40 shots + all the sighting shots you need – no time limit
Side match - Tres Banditos - Fastest time on five targets @ 75 meters
8:00 - Range open for sighting in & practice
10:00 - 1st relay to the firing line
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The clubhouse is open to anyone who wants to stay there. Bring your sleeping bag.
Nearby Motel - Royal INN - Rt219 South - 4 Miles from the range - 814-773-3153
Please contact John Kort if you need additional information or directions. jkort43@roadrunner.com
Hope to see you there!

w30wcf
Last edited by w30wcf on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lever Action Jubilee - Oct 12 & 13 Ridgway, PA

Post by FatJackDurham »

Sounds awesome!!!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oooooooooooooooo.........I'm getting excited..........It's hard to contain myself..........

I gotta make this one.........

Nothing pushing me........

Got time, Jeep, and bucks........and the most important.....leverguns and ammo......

Jack Sr., are you camping?.. Where is most of the action? Up top or the lower range? Just trying to figure where to camp at. --------Jack Jr.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Howdy Sixgun,
Hope you can make it. Most of the action - probably on Sunday at the lower range.

I'm planning on camping in the clubhouse. You are more than welcome to join me.....just keep the gas level down..... :roll: :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
NRA Life member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've been wanting to come up a do another of these ! Think it's been 7 years since I was there last . And this year I won't be able to attend either ! The 13th I'll be in Cambridge hanging a stand for the following Fridays early ML hunt on the Bkackwater NWR .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They should have included 'Rugers' in the list to bring... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Lookee here guys. I believe any brand of leverguns is welcome. We will not be shooting for Cadillacs! :D It's a fun shoot and will be especially good for getting rid of ammo that's been sitting around. This ain't no shoot where you put on starched shirts, have a gun bearer, drive a Lexus, or have a high faluton female hanging on your arm.

By dang it Jack Sr., Ill be a coming, but....I'm camping. No rules that way. If I want to be a pig in my own tent, I can do it. If I decide to leave 6,000 cubic feet of methane into the atmosphere, I'm doing it!!!!!! :D

I'll try to talk "the Gunny" into coming, but lately he has been playing that 1000 yard silhouette stuff, which I'm not into.

I got lots of new toys to show off..........Jr.

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

AJMD429 wrote:They should have included 'Rugers' in the list to bring... :(
Thank you for the reminder. I added, "etc."
Sixgun wrote:Lookee here guys. I believe any brand of leverguns is welcome. We will not be shooting for Cadillacs! :D It's a fun shoot and will be especially good for getting rid of ammo that's been sitting around. This ain't no shoot where you put on starched shirts, have a gun bearer, drive a Lexus, or have a high faluton female hanging on your arm.

By dang it Jack Sr., Ill be a coming, but....I'm camping. No rules that way. If I want to be a pig in my own tent, I can do it. If I decide to leave 6,000 cubic feet of methane into the atmosphere, I'm doing it!!!!!! :D

I'll try to talk "the Gunny" into coming, but lately he has been playing that 1000 yard silhouette stuff, which I'm not into.

I got lots of new toys to show off..........Jr.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new toys! :D Hopefully one of them will be your '73 with the rare spoon type tang sight. It would be fun to see how it works at 500 meters......

WOW! :shock: :shock: 6,000 cu ft of methane....don't light a match :lol:
ps: it will likely be warmer in the clubhouse ..... good for my older bones.....

6pt-Sika - Hopefully you can make it again one of these years. Among the leverguns I'm taking is my '92 Marlin .32 Colt. I have a new bullet from an Accurate mold that I want to try out. As I recall you brought along a similar '92 in really nice shape when you were there last.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok, I'll bring the '73 with the funny sight. I guess I'll include a few heavy barreled '86's for the long range stuff too.----6

steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

Looks fun, wished I lived a little closer.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good luck guys. Sounds like fun. Have ammo, toys, just not enough time to get there. Have to see the docs and have new scars made!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I'd love to get there, I've got all the cross border paperwork but unfortunately it is our Thanksgiving weekend and my eldest grandsons birthday, I promised I would do something with him and that would not be one to break! Maybe next year.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Borregos wrote:I'd love to get there, I've got all the cross border paperwork but unfortunately it is our Thanksgiving weekend and my eldest grandsons birthday, I promised I would do something with him and that would not be one to break! Maybe next year.
I'm sure you know the answer... take the grandson with ya! What a special birthday that would be!!! :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

w30wcf wrote: 6pt-Sika - Hopefully you can make it again one of these years. Among the leverguns I'm taking is my '92 Marlin .32 Colt. I have a new bullet from an Accurate mold that I want to try out. As I recall you brought along a similar '92 in really nice shape when you were there last.

w30wcf
Yes that was a Model 92 and then a few years back I got another that was a Model 1892 . Never got a little 32 in the Model 1891 !

I sold the 1892 and the 92 to a fellow at the Baltimore Gun Show 3 years ago I believe .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:Ok, I'll bring the '73 with the funny sight. I guess I'll include a few heavy barreled '86's for the long range stuff too.----6
Yup an 86 in 50-110 would be grand and while you were at it a 76 in 50-95 would be "kinda intrestin" also :wink:

Very very strange , I likes the big ones and the little bitty ones the most I think !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Have fun fellas! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

6pt-sika wrote:
Yup an 86 in 50-110 would be grand and while you were at it a 76 in 50-95 would be "kinda intrestin" also :wink:

Very very strange , I likes the big ones and the little bitty ones the most I think !
6 Point, I never did have an 1886 in 50. Always wanted one but I found them in either junk condition or pristine, outta my league. Same goes for any caliber 1876.

Kid,
Come on up! The only thing you will need is yourself. I got the tent, food and the guns & ammo. The only thing you will have to share is the GAS, the methane kind. :D -------6

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

6 Point, I never did have an 1886 in 50. Always wanted one but I found them in either junk condition or pristine, outta my league. Same goes for any caliber 1876.

Never had an 86 50 in my hands !

But about 9 years ago I had a rather decent 76 50-95 in my hands . Overall decent working shape and the bore was shootable . Guy wanted $6500 , the neat thing was it was about 3 miles from my house !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Is this shoot in October every year? Roughly the same date within reason? Give me something to plan for next year.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

3leggedturtle wrote:Is this shoot in October every year? Roughly the same date within reason? Give me something to plan for next year.

Yepper! Same place, same date, same channel. Although I am aware of it every year, there's always something that screws it up.

You can go to their website and check out the info. Just google "Ridgway Rifle Club" in Ridgway, pa.----6

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:Is this shoot in October every year? Roughly the same date within reason? Give me something to plan for next year.

Yepper! Same place, same date, same channel. Although I am aware of it every year, there's always something that screws it up.

You can go to their website and check out the info. Just google "Ridgway Rifle Club" in Ridgway, pa.----6
Always in October perhaps .

But the year I went it was Halloween weekend , so that would make it the end of the month where as this one is a bit earlier .
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

3leggedturtle,

At this point, we have pretty much standardized on the 2nd weekend in October. As 6pt-sika indicated, we have had it as late as the last weekend in Oct or the 1st weekend in Nov. in the past.

Of course, if I was better organized, I would have posted the match announcement a few months ago........

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thanks, it wouldn't of mattered if I had known about this in January. Too much other mindless stuff to do and take care of.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

3leggedturtle wrote:Thanks, it wouldn't of mattered if I had known about this in January. Too much other mindless stuff to do and take care of.
Turtleman,
You just said "mindless". That means you can come! I have a mighty big tent and right now, I'm by myself so......For the small fee of $488, you can bunk with me :D For the first time, the fee will be waved. I always say, "Life is short----Play hard.-------6

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sixgun wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:Thanks, it wouldn't of mattered if I had known about this in January. Too much other mindless stuff to do and take care of.
Turtleman,
You just said "mindless". That means you can come! I have a mighty big tent and right now, I'm by myself so......For the small fee of $488, you can bunk with me :D For the first time, the fee will be waved. I always say, "Life is short----Play hard.-------6

If I don't involve shooting, loving, reloading, women, traveling, camping and fires; its mindless. Bad attitude I know but aint changing my thought process anymore. Except I am slowly coming around to my thoughts about accepting a certain rimless lever rifle caliber with a short neck.

Thanks for the offer but I am going to stay put, work and play house with GF until next May.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya Turtle! That's cool! My attitude changes like the weather and its usually because a woman says things to me that makes it that way.

On to this Jubilee thingy, I'm thinking with all the s-t I wanna bring, I'll need my little trailer that I pull with the Jeep. Then I said "screw that", I'm gonna make it simple---------Me, Jeep, guns, ammo, cot/sleeping bag, food---------done, I'm bunking in the clubhouse. Jack Kort.......you better be ready...........................cause I headed your way with gas weapons of major destruction :D ------6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Three days of rain have forced me to cancel this thing. They claim cloudy on Sat., but rain Fri. And Sun. I ain't driving 10 hours up and back in the rain. Dang!----6

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

As it turned out Saturday was the finest kind of weather .... right around 70 degrees with hardly a cloud in the sky and almost no wind.
Sunday was a bit overcast with a couple of sprinkles here and there but everything turned out just fine. :D

I arrived Friday afternoon to test some loads and sight settings.

13 lever action enthusiasts came for fun and fellowship and lots of shooting. We missed seeing Sixgun due to the bad weather forecast that he had read. Thankfully the weatherman was wrong....as they sometimes are.

Calibers used among the fellow Lever Action Jubileers:
.30-30 / .303 Savage / .38-55 / .45-70 / 250-3000 / .358 / .357 / .44-40 / .45 Colt / .22 LR
Mucho fun was had by all.

Here are a few pics from Saturday on the High Power Silhouette Range..

Here's a short video of the range taken on a different day by the BPCR folks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rWCAE_aCNg

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Re: PICS from Lever Action Jubilee Ridgway, PA added

Post by w30wcf »

From Sunday on the Cowboy Silhouette range....

Can't wait until next year......

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice pics :D

Going to try and make it next year :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Sure seems ya'll were having fun and that range is a beauty!
One thing though, it's for certain the club is a back East affair. Not a single cowboy hat amongst all the the crew, ...just "blankety blank" ball caps.:lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

John,

I see at least 2 from SW pa. Do you know how many were from down here?
The Lord Bless You

Terry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

GoatGuy wrote:Sure seems ya'll were having fun and that range is a beauty!
One thing though, it's for certain the club is a back East affair. Not a single cowboy hat amongst all the the crew, ...just "blankety blank" ball caps.:lol:
Have you ever tried to swat a fly with a 10 gallon hat?

WHO was shooting the 250-3000?

Can you put names to the faces?

Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Ho hum, just a bunch of old guys shootin' old guns :mrgreen: .

Looks like an enjoyable way to spend a nice day.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I'm really burnin up now. I have not seen a forecast that bad in 20 years. That Friday morning when I was originally going to leave looked like monsoon season and it was supposed to stay that way for 3 days, on and off.

I'm smoking hot!

Nice pics Jack. Other than Brian, I did not recognize the others. Locals?

Oh well, glad you boys had a good time.------6

steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

Maybe one of these days I will be able to make the pilgrimage and join you fine folks.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Borregos,
Hope you can make it next year. As you probably know, to bring rifles into the US from Canada requires special paperwork from the US.
If you are not familiar with the procedure, let me know and I will find out more about it.

41Redhawk,
Just Chuck Blender & Lou Sellman were the two from the Pittsburgh area.

3leggedturtle,
Ed, the fellow in the suspenders, was shooting the 250-3000, a .303 and a .358.....all 99's. He is a collector of 99's.
There were 2 fellows from New Jersey .... the fellow with the pipe and the fellow standing on the right of the Ridgway sign.
Steve, the fellow with the Ram is from Indiana.
The rest are from PA.

Sixgun,
Well....there's always next year. In addition to Brian, Jim Snyder & Chuck Blender are regulars at NRA Cowboy matches.

Steve,
That would be great!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

w30wcf wrote:41Redhawk,
Just Chuck Blender & Lou Sellman were the two from the Pittsburgh area.
I see Chuck at Irwin, Coraopolis and Dormont / Mt Lebanon quite often.

Lou I see at various gun shows. He used to shoot Cowboy but I haven't seen him at a match in years
The Lord Bless You

Terry
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Fantastic facility!

I'm bringing a busload of folks next year......I've got a dozen or so shooting buddies up here that all have severe cases of "leveritis"

Can't wait for next year!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Roy,
That would be great!

Sixgun,
"I'm bunking in the clubhouse. Jack Kort.......you better be ready...........................cause I headed your way with gas weapons of major destruction :D ------6"

Ok "Capt'n Methane" we'll be ready in 2014! :D :D :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member