Browning 1885 .22 Hornet load suggestions and experiences?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Browning 1885 .22 Hornet load suggestions and experiences?

Post by Model 52B »

I recently acquired a NIB Browning 1885 in .22 Hornet. It's been on the dealer shelf since 2009 (per the date code in the serial) and I'm both a single shot and a .22 Hornet fan, so the low ball price he quoted seemed to work out for both of us.

I was aware of the 1-16" barrel, but also aware that most 1-16" twist .22 Hornet barrels seem to do just fine with bullets up to .45 grains. As an example, I get sub MOA accuracy out of a mini-mauser with a 22" 1-16" twist bore with comparatively long Hornady 40 gr V-Max bullets (on average about .687" in length) so I expected no real problems with a 24" 1-16" bore.

On the first range trip I noted that it shot great groups with Hornady 35 gr V-max bullets - producing some very credible groups averaging about 3/4" with this one in particular standing out:

So the rifle itself can shoot well and shoot consistently good groups

However, with 40 gr V-Max bullets it was throwing patterns in the 5"-6" range and I noted some tearing on one side of many of the holes and on very close inspection I noted some slight oval shaped holes in that direction. Obviously, it's not stabilizing the rounds. Velocities are as high or slightly higher than in my mini Mauser, so the velocity should have been adequate.

I checked the rifling twist when I got home - running a fine line marker flat on the table along the side of a cleaning rod to create a straight line on the rod, then aligning the mark with corner between flats on the barrel, marking the rod and going forward until the rod turned 360 degrees to align with that corner again. The result suggests 1 in 16.5" twist.

Given that I have about 1,500 40 gr V-max bullets on hand, it's annoying that it won't shoot them. It's even more annoying given the relative scarcity of .224 bullets right now and an inability to get anything shorter at the moment.

I do have 500 Barnes 30 gr hollow points coming, and they are obviously short enough to work, but I'm interested in the experience any other people may have had with the Browning 1885 in .22 Hornet, specifically in terms of projectiles that have worked well in it.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 1885 .22 Hornet load suggestions and experience

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hope this helps, don't have a 1885. I have been shooting a Handi-rifle rechambered to 22 Hornet that has a 1-16" twist. Using Lil'gun and the 50gr VMAX, book shows it is 2400fps or so. it is accurate and no keyholing at 50 yards. Havent chrono'ed or done milk jug tests yet. My barrel also has a .223" bore and micro-grooves. I also have the Midsouth Bulkpac 34gr HP's. At 1900fps (chronoed) they completely obliterate soup can filled with water.

Edited: Don't have any with me to measure, but the 50gr looks longer than 40gr.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Cant help you with the Browning. I own 3 different Hornets and was a very happy camper when I discovered Lil Gun powder, dramatically reduced group sizes in all 3 guns. 35 grain vmax=red mist+.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My old 1-16" BSA loved cheap and cheerful Sierra SP&HP.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I never loaded the Hornet in the 1885. I have experience with that round in a Clark Custom 77/22. A case FULL of LIL Gun and a 34gr something, maybe a Noslar projectile with Rem. small rifle primers was my load. I used a Lee collet sizer die and FCD and I loaded the projectiles firmly into the rifling, approx. .005". The lack of neck tension is the challenge with that round. Accuracy was o.k at best. Velocity was impressive. I tried numerous combos and settled on the above. I was never pleased and eventually sold her off. Best of luck with yours, 1886.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Thanks for the responses so far.

I went back to the range this afternoon with 46 gr. Remington HP bullets with Win, 296 and Lil Gun. The Browning 1885 likes them about as well as my other two .22 Hornets, but the average was still around 1.62" for all the loads tried. Two loads however (9.0 gr Winchester 296, and 10.3 gr of Lil Gun) were consistently under and inch at 100 yards. The 296 load appears to be very easy on the brass and has a slight edge in both accuracy and SD, so it will do for now and I only have about 400 of them to use up and I'm not inclined to spend much more time on load development with this particular bullet.

The load is a bit slow at an average velocity of 2,343 fps, but the standard deviation is relatively low at 18.79 fps, including the initial cold/clean bore shot. Excluding that initial low velocity shot, the average increases to 2,346 fps and the SD decreases to 14.09 fps. A half grain more powder upped the velocity to an average of 2,458 fps, but the SD increased to 31 fps and the groups opened up a full half inch. I'd rather just deal with slow and consistent and make a larger elevation correction for longer ranged shooting.

My preferences have changed in that regard over the last 30 years, given the availability and reliability of laser range finders now, as well as the repeatability of adjustments on decent quality scopes now, so I no longer see the need to milk maximum velocity out of a load, especially a .22 Hornet, where the charm of the cartridge lies in it's accuracy potential and reduced bark compared to a .223.

----

I've been a big fan of Lil Gun with heavier bullets in the .22 Hornet. That's especially true now, as it's one of the few powders that's regularly available locally. My mini Mauser shoots consistent 3/4 MOA groups with 12.3 gr, 12.6, or 13.2 gr of Lil Gun under a 40 gr. V-max with velocities respectively of 2,694 fps, 2,726 fps and 2,857 fps in a 22" barrel. But with brass being hard to come by at the moment, I'm using the 12.3 gr load to squeeze another couple loadings out of the cases I have on hand.

Lil Gun however has never worked well with the 46 gr Remington HPs in any of my .22 Hornets and the Browning 1885 was no exception. It shot ok up to about 10.3 grs of Lil Gun, and this load also gave good accuracy, although there was some minor primer cratering evident. Above that, the cratering increased and at 10.9 grains the primers started to flatten and the velocity was reaching 2,950 fps, suggesting the pressures were a lot higher than expected. There's no way it would get to the 11.9 grains some load data suggest can be reached with 45 grain bullets. The Remington bullets are seem to be pretty "sticky" compared to other 45 grain bullets, based on experience with this powder as well as 296 and 2400.

----

I'll see how it does with the 30 gr Barnes Varmint grenades that are coming, as well as with some Speer 40 gr. SPs I'm considering ordering, as I'd really like to stay around 40 grains for bullet weight.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have never met a prairie dog that could tell the difference between 2600 FPS and 2800 FPS. :D
My philosophy is load for accruracy and hang the velocity.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'll be in Montana next month and when we meet for coffee or lunch I'll take those uncooperative 40 gr V-max off of you. I prefer the gr V-max but it's slim pickings nowadays.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Thanks, but no thanks. My other .22 Hornet loves them.