What rifle are you hunting deer with this fall?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

What rifle are you hunting deer with this fall?

Post by mod71alaska »

Our NH deer season starts November 13th. I'll be sighting in a 1940 Model 64 in 32ws with an original tang sight and a mid-60's Sako L-579 in .308 wearing a Leupold 3.5-10 scope....2 of my favorite rifles and calibers.

My hunting isn't very serious anymore...more like a walk in the woods with some sitting to rest! I won't shoot a small buck because I believe in letting them grow up. Locals shoot anything legal no matter how small. North of our property there are 150 square miles of woods. Immediately adjacent to us my wife's extended family has 500 acres of that wood with old apple orchards which bring in plenty of deer. It takes time to be accepted and invited to join the family hunters, though. Taking a 71 inch moose, among numerous others, in Alaska, doesn't get the new comer an invitation to hunt with this old northern NH clan of hunters. So, I hope I cross paths with an 8 or 10 pointer, or a really big bodied 6 pointer, and I am going to put deer meat in the freezer and very proudly have my picture next to theirs on the wall of our country store check station. I have in mind a couple of prime escape routes where I think a big buck just might be passing through escaping all the family hunting pressure where I'm going to "sit and rest!"

Snow already is 1/3 the way down the Presidential Mountains (Mt. Washington, et al) across the road just south of us and capped "our mountain" to the north for the first time yesterday and melted off todaOur NH deer season starts November 13th. I'll be sighting in a 1940 Model 64 in 32ws with an original tang sight and a mid-60's Sako L-579 in .308 wearing a Leupold 3.5-10 scope....2 of my favorite rifles and calipers.

So, what rifle(s) are you sighting in for deer season?
Last edited by mod71alaska on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What rifle are you hunting deer with this fall?

Post by fordwannabe »

I will be hunting bucks with a 1957 marlin 336 in 35 remington that was owned by a dear friend who has passed. I will be hunting doe with a 1893 Marlin in 30-30 from 1898. If I get a doe ,it will be the seventh year in a row I have gotten a PA deer with a different 100 year old or older levergun.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

I will be using 2 different rifles and a handgun this year depending on where I am hunting.

Rifle #1:
Winchester M70 extreme weather in 7wsm. Has a Minox 3-15x42 scope. Shooting 160gr nosler accubonds at 3100fps. Will use this when hunting where shots get on the long side...
7mm wsm-10.jpg
Rifle #2:
Browning BLR stainless/mossy oak brush in .308. Has a Leupold 2.5-8x36 scope. Shooting 150gr hornady SST at 2850fps. Great handling woods gun...
BLR woods.jpg
Handgun:
Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .45colt. Has a Nikon 2x scope. Shooting Buffalo Bore 260gr at 1450 fps. Excellent accuracy and a fun gun to shoot...
Ruger SBH Hunter .45colt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Why just one?

I haven't decided on my primary date to this year's shindig, but my dance card will include (and not be limited to...)

1984 Browning 1895 in .30-'06
1983 Chief Crazy Horse in .38-55 (not her first dance)
Marlin 1895 GS Stainless Guide Gun in .45-70 (if I get it back from the gunsmith in time...removing porting)
1906 Winchester 1894 in .30 WCF

and since I'm not very mobile this year I will cheat and use a Remington 750 Woodmaster in .35 Whelen topped with a Leupold Vari- X III 2.5-8 scope and DNZ mount.

The handmaiden will be a Ruger Redhawk Hunter in .45 Colt

I'll add a photo later
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

If I get out it will be a win 94 from the fifties in 32 Special. Outfitted with a Lyman receiver sight.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

AGAIN, my new-to-me 1979 Glenfield 30A in .30 W.C.F. with a Williams FP Reciever Sight and a Skinner front-sight (my new favorite)...we started hunting here in the Pacific NorthWest on October 12th, i didn't dispatch anything (became pre-occupied cooking dinner with a new Dutch-oven, old-school fun); the five old-timers camped 1/4 mile from us really hit them hard, they got five Mule Deer (biggest was a 5x5, smallest was a 3x3) ... pics are from gunbroker, i took the scope mount off and installed the Williams FP, plus pics of where we hunted... :)

For those who are getting ready to go hunting...have fun..stay safe...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

In reality -- if I get a chance to get into the woods -- i'd kinda like to use this 1947 .32 WS Model 94. If I can get out multiple days, my dads 'ol post 64 30-30 may make an appearance

----- Doug
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Just got my first deer of the season with a Ruger no 3 in 44mag, now I ll be taking out my English flint sporting rifle in 54 cal in search of a nice buck.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Funny you should ask....I am at this moment going through the collection, deciding what to take to S.E. Georgia for Whitetail and pig hunting. Ranges tend to be short....you might get a 100 yd shot. Much more common is 25-75. The deer run on the small side. I have no interest in shooting Hogzillas even if one strolls by so by choice any hogs will also be on the small side.
All that said....Here's what I've narrowed it down to:
For any stand with long shot potential....Standard Rem. 700 in 7.62mm with 2x scope:
Image[/URL]
I can't bring myself to leave these home. My "Old and New". Both are 45/70. The Trapdoor is fed 500 gn soft cast bullets over black powder. The Guide Gun gets home cast 400's over smokeless.
For a particular stand that promises to offer the shortest shots due to the thickness of the bush I'm taking along this Contender. That's a 10 in. .41 mag bbl with Leupold/Gilmore red dot on top to help my aging eyes make the best possible shot:

Wish me luck Boys...!!!
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I'll will/have been using my Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 270 Winchester. Picture of it is one my other thread with my first deer.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'd like to say some sort of an '86 lightweight or a N-frame 'Smith 44 Spl. as I did for 40 years. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on 'em anymore. Good luck to you boys!--------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

Deer season has come and gone here in Utah. Rejecting the current craze here in the west of high tech, 1,000 yard shooters, I still prefer hunting with the same tools my grandfather used to keep the racks of the smokehouse full. Here is a picture of my 1941 M94 .30-30 from a couple of weeks ago doing what it was designed to do, put meat on the table:

Thinking of you grandpa........
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

More than likely my Marlin 375, with a Ranch Dog cast bullet.
NRA Life Member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have sighted in a Marlin 444SS topped with a Bushnell 1.5-4.5X scope, set at 2X, and a Marlin 1895G in 45-70 with a Skinner peep.
Like Mod71Alaska my hunting is more of a woods walk these days with plenty of rest stops.
Season opens on the 4th November. :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

In trying to shoot a deer with every gun in the locker. This year the 307 Win is going out . I just loaded up 20 rounds last night. I also am working to find a good bullet for the 351 Win. I will do a water jug test this weekend on a cast bullet and see how it performs and functions . I take two guns one for sitting and walking and one for the thick nasty stuff. My favorite for thick nasty is a 94 Win Wrangler in 32 special.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'll likely shoot a number of deer. As long as I have people who want or need the meat and landowners that are shooting does or culls for QDM I don't mind shooting a few. I want to use my Henry caliber 35-30 on my own property. I also want to use a Win 94 in caliber 307 Win in the woods. For some ranches where the shooting is in the open I'll probably use my custom 7mm-08. For the out of State trips I'll take a different rifle every time, just because. SMLE 303 Brit, Henry octagon barrel 30-30, muzzleloader...
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Model 70 XTR 7mm Rem Mag with open sights.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Shot a little buck, 60# or so the day before yesterday with my muzzle loader. .429/200 XTP over 95 grains of ffg with a poly patch in my 50 cal Green Mountain barrel.

About thirty minutes before the above I had a failure to fire, just a little "pop" when the cap sorta went off on a mature buck wearing a decent rack at about 120 yards. Rack just about 2" wider than his ears but with really tall G2s. Had to yell to get him to stop but the sinking feeling when the cap fizzled and then watching him run off. Oh well, still the rest of this week and then plenty of gun season to get him or better.

Oh, will use my 86 in 45-90. 300 GC over 38 grains 5744. Never fails to go bang.

Last edited by M. M. Wright on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote: I just can't seem to pull the trigger on 'em anymore.

Me neither , but occasionally I still get out because I love to get away from home for a few days , and see friends I don't see very often -------- bring a small grill and a generator so I can blend up some serious campfire margaritas , and plenty of burgers in case everyone gets skunked

Its awesome to sit in a stand with a fine old book too on mornings when its not too cold or windy ------ ITs funny, I have seen the best deer on days when I have absolutely no interest in shooting anything except with a camera.

Everything about the fall is cool ---- from seeing the occasional big cat tracks that put your nerves on end, to seeing fat porcupines or skunks rustling around in the leaves, squirrels playing -- just relaxing with one of those books you always wanted to read but never got around to -- (Jules Verne, Hemingway, - countless others )-- take a nap, -- then return back to the camp site to watch some afternoon football , before going out again

Currently my idea of a great "hunting" day since I haven't pulled the trigger on a living thing in 3 years :lol: , I still carry a gun though in case Mr Bear or Mr Cougar decides they need to make a snack of me , so the 'ol leverguns still have some potential use. Besides , even though guns do not have souls and don't talk - it still seems wrong to leave special ones in the safe all year :)
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've been on my trip thur all of regular season. And I let Vance steal my Thumper.....so....I have....umm?....an older .444....336....my cool 1951 94....an '06 all ready to go......we have four days of late buck at the end of November. ....hope to get out for that. If I can get to the range I'll sight in the new Ruger Scout .308......I put an extra Leopold scout scope on it....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I will use my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag as my woods gun.

Savage 10, .243 Win, for long shots across the peanut field (105 gr Berger VLD).

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For Maine Whitetails, my primary is a .30-30 Winchester 94 Trapper w/Lyman peep

and as a longer-range/backup rifle, my .30-06 Parker-Hale Safari (uppermost rifle, below)

For local Whitetails (no CF rifle or handgun hunting allowed in my state), my .45cal T/C Seneca frontstuffer

For my local 1-week shotgun deer season, I'll either use the T/C or my 20ga Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer pumpgun.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice deer and nice rifle Kevin. :D -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

You know I might just take my Colt Match HBAR out or my 1962 Ithaca 20ga Deerslayer with original 2X Gold Ring.

All three are ready to rock!

Course my SA M1 is saying take me please. Got some 5rd Enbloc clips and some very moderately loaded 168gr Sierra BTHP ammo ??

Then again that 45-70 with them BB 405gr 2000fps stuff in the Ruger #1 or my M70 300 Win Mag 6-18X Refield Illuminator with compressed 180gr max handloads ????? :lol: Hit a deer with that load once and it made this huge red vapor haze and actually heaved the deer into the river. A big buck. Current started taking it drifting away, my brother comes running up to me from across corn field and says there goes that one. I said not yet and stripped down to long johns and in I went.Got it. It was deep there too and was two weeks before Christmas and was about 15 degrees out. :lol: :wink: He hangs on the wall!

Nice thing about living where you hunt! :lol: :wink: All depends what fancies me on that given day.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

The same gun I always take out. My Marlin 1894D CCL in 44-40. It hasn't failed me yet.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

My T/C .54cal Hawken using Hornady Plains bullets.

Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

kevind6 wrote:Deer season has come and gone here in Utah. Rejecting the current craze here in the west of high tech, 1,000 yard shooters, I still prefer hunting with the same tools my grandfather used to keep the racks of the smokehouse full. Here is a picture of my 1941 M94 .30-30 from a couple of weeks ago doing what it was designed to do, put meat on the table:

Thinking of you grandpa........

That's what I like to see. Nice deer and rifle kevind6. I recently returned from an antelope trip where an opportunity was had to shoot a really good buck at 450ish with a scoped rifle if I had chosen. I instead tried to get closer as my rifle of choice was a handgun. I failed on the really good buck, but shot a nice buck with the handgun and had a warm fuzzy feeling for doing it my way.

Congrats again.

SM
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Since I have my muzzleloader tag left to fill, it will be this my English sporter for the rest of the season

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

For heavily wooded areas I'm grabbing my Savage 99A in 375 Win. For wood lots the Savage 99C in 284 Win. gets the nod.

Mainehunter :wink:
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Will be deer hunting with my Marlin 336 SC 32 Spl. Mfg.1960 w/ Leupold 4X scope

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

The 45-70 until I get some meat as there is no venison in the freezer after lasts years power outage. The 44 will be for carry after the first day.
It is not the critic who counts
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Headed for camp in the morning after work. I'm gonna use my Ruger GSR for varied terrain and back it up with my very first levergun, my mid-Fifties 94 carbine in 30-30. I shot my first deer with it but haven't used it in many years.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Streetstar wrote:
Me neither , but occasionally I still get out because I love to get away from home for a few days , and see friends I don't see very often -------- bring a small grill and a generator so I can blend up some serious campfire margaritas , and plenty of burgers in case everyone gets skunked
i don't think i'm getting too old to hunt...still love going...sometimes you just don't want to ruin a good hunting trip by shooting something...just saying... :)
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I already have a meat doe that I shot on my crop damage permit with a 32 Special. For hunting season I will probably be using a Blackhawk of some flavor or perhaps a Smith 57.

Eric
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

30wcf wrote:
Streetstar wrote:
i don't think i'm getting too old to hunt...still love going...sometimes you just don't want to ruin a good hunting trip by shooting something...just saying... :)
:lol: :lol: I didn't realize I was at that point yet, but I guess I am. I saw a nice whitetail last season and talked myself out of shooting him because there were 5 weeks of season left and I didn't want to be done. I do a lot of reading, watching, and photographing. I like my Kindle because the pageturning is noiseless. It's great to be outdoors.

I'm in a cast shoe with a broken ankle this season. My hunting will be limited and if I pull the trigger on something it will be nice. Thats the only reason I may have to use a scope this year.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Familyguy
Levergunner

Post by Familyguy »

I'll be using my Winchester '94 Legendary Frontiersman .38-55. Looks like it'll be factory 255gr jacketed loads unless the rest of my reloading kit arrives very soon.
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

Wow,it's good to see so many of you taking out the .32 win spl.I'll be taking my M94 out this year also.Good luck and report back with any success stories using the .32.
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

During regular season, my 1863 sharps military rifle, 54 caliber or my 12 bore Chas Lancaster rifled Ball and shot rifle. During late season blackpowder will switch between my two flintlocks, a .54 caliber rifle, and a 16 bore smoothbore. Both custom built.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

30wcf wrote:
Streetstar wrote:
Yes -- besides, what the heck are you gonna do if you limit out the first 2 days of the season? LOL - Go back to work ? (the horror!)
----- Doug
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

kevind6 wrote:Deer season has come and gone here in Utah. Rejecting the current craze here in the west of high tech, 1,000 yard shooters, I still prefer hunting with the same tools my grandfather used to keep the racks of the smokehouse full.
As much as I would really like to do some long-range hunting, it never seems to work out. Lately I have shot a moose at 10 feet, a bear at 7 feet . . .

. . thankful for leverguns and iron sights.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:Will be deer hunting with my Marlin 336 SC 32 Spl. Mfg.1960 w/ Leupold 4X scope

I like that... 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Perfect outfit.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

maybe this one
and this one..........38-55
carried this knight in the woods already this year......no luckImage
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

I'll be using my custom build Marlin 336A in the more wooded areas. It started life as a 30-30 carbine with very plain wood. When I got it it was very "Used". New barrel in 32 WS and mag tube and re-stocked...Its my favorite lever in my safe.

I will aslo likely carry one of the 88s (.243 & .308). If I get my deer with the .32, I'll spend the rest of the season with the .243 chasing coyotes...if not, I'll pack the .308 a couple of days for the more open areas I hunt...the scope will come in handy

Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Because of ammo scarcity,.375,.356 WCF., might use the 1895 SCR 30-06. Laid it next to to the .308 BLR, which the Girl friend is borrowing, and both are almost the same length. 8)
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I know I'm suppose to say a lever but this year it is a new Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 257 Wby Mag/110 Gr Nosler Accubonds.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

New plan. After mulling it over for a few days, I decided this was going to be a Sharps deer season. 45 cal, 480 gr. Saeco cast bullet, 70 gr. of Olde Eynsford Black Powder. Good for about 1300 fps. I have my 100 yard zero, and notes out to 500 meters, but I'm only at about a 50% hit ratio so far on the 500 meter Rams at the Silhouette Matches, so I will probably limit myself to about 200 yards on a live animal.
NRA Life Member
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I used my new Baikal 12 gauge over .308 several weeks ago to take a nice buck. The .308 barrel was the one used.
The rest of the season I will use my model 94 in .32 Win. Special or my 1949 model Stevens bolt action 30-30 or even my H&R Handi rifle in 45/70.
Our deer season is open till January 1st.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Don't laugh guys but yesterday shooting out back at the range with couple people I brought out one of my SKS's :lol:
Now I remember from the M1 Shoots we would go to no,it didn't shoot as well as the Colt HBARS or the M1 Garands etc.

But it shot pretty decent. I mean pie plate stuff at 100yds say rapid fire position sitting. Or about a 3" group slow fire prone.

But, being in NYS and having Semi action allowed and I have a TAPCO 5rd Mag and a bunch of the 154gr Wolf SP Ammo which shoots at a MV of 2100fps being its a 30 caliber with a 154gr bullet and the gun is extremely small and light.

Thinking my 30-30 semi Levergun's special ??? :idea:

But in all honesty the daughter shot extremely well with it, I mean tennis ball sized groups at 75yds dead center on target and this is basically assuming the hunting position and setup she will be doing.
I also love the safety for her, next best thing to her using a single break open. I brought out a second one and shot that and same results these guns shoot pretty darn good with that 154gr @ 2100fps stuff. Told her if you use one, heck maybe I will too.

One thing those babies sure don't throw the cases like the Colts, all over the place but guess if you were sniping someone from a cover of brush would be a good thing. Also aren't reloading those cases!

Will say though getting ammo for them is still very easy to get and at $6 a box for a very close to 30-30 centerfire rifle ammo that's cool and makes them pretty decent little units. One thing these guns are and I am being truthful here pretty darn reliable. Remember this one guy I worked with for a while, name was Tung and he was from Vietnam, He said he lived right on the NV/SV border and he remembers those SKS's well. Told me back then those SKS's much better than AK's Good for killing tiger and elephant ???? :shock:
Said the NV snipers would sometimes shoot people riding bicycles in road at 400-500 meters. :?: The dude got a free ride with College over here all paid for and they gave him 6 years to get it. Had a special tutor. Will say the dude worked hard. Took him fishing up to Salmon River NY and he kept snagging salmon. :lol: Told him, can't do that throw em back, he said no never throw back nothing I eat head too. He said twice a week he sleeps on table top. I said why? He said might have to again. He also said you would never have made it over my home land fighting, I said why he said "too big target" Get shot and also handful of rice a day----you would starve. :roll:

He was sponsored over here when a bomb dropped on his village and killed his parents--- he said. He used to always tell me your Chinese SKS's better than M16 :twisted: :roll:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Might take out the Big Bore in 356 Win. But for sure this one:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8