Opinion on Leupold Rimfire scopes?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Opinion on Leupold Rimfire scopes?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm looking into finally scoping some rifles. I can no longer deny my vision limits.

I might scope a 9422 and a Handi 22 Hornet and an air rifle. I'm considering the FX-I 4X Rimfire scope from Leupold. That is my brand, their Canadian warranty shop is 20 miles from home. The past service from them was outstanding and when your a foreign client this is everything to me.

The other scope I prefer is the FX-II 2.5X Ultralight. It costs about $50 more but would also be compatible with centerfire.

Just looking for decent performance and 50 paces with the 22LR and 100 paces with the Hornet, eventually cast bullets if I can learn to shoot them in a Hornet.

Looking for opinions about the quality of the rimfire scopes, variable over fixed, rings to use and so on, please?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Opinion on Leupold Rimfire scopes?

Post by vancelw »

I love Leupold scope but have never used a rimfire version.
I gave up using rimfire scope long ago and now use 3x9 scopes on my .22s when I use them. I use a 10/22 with a 3x9 to rest my varmint gun when it gets too warm on the prairie. It's amazing the effect good quality optics have.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Bob,
When you say rimfire scopes, are you talking the 3/4" tube job? If so, they are dinosaurs. All guys I know, including myself use 1" scopes, the same scope that's used on center fires.

I'm not real scope literate, but for the most part, you get what you pay for in scopes. Leupold ranks up there at the top of regular scopes and you can't go wrong with anything they make or have made.

If you ever fall in a money pit, get yourself a Nightforce.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I've had a Vari-X 3x9x33 E.F.R. AO compact rimfire/air rifle for about ten years. It has the same coatings as the current FX scopes. It is very clear and it does the 16-click-square-back-to-zero dance every year without fail. I bounce it between three 22s and can look at my dope chart and make the proper number of clicks to zero it for that gun and be home free without re zeroing. I do like the Leupold QRW rings very much. Edit: It's not actually clicks but hashmarks.
Last edited by Tycer on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The Leupold and Weaver rimfire scopes are very good and are 28mm tubes. The Leupold are made a couple of miles away from me, in Beaverton, and the Weavers are less expensive and made in Japan. Both are extremely clear and have excellent tracking. I've never used a Leupold rimfire, but have many Weavers.

The Weaver RV-7 has an adjustable AO down to 15 feet and is a 2.5x7 variable.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have not used their rimfire model, but really love an old Gold Ring I have on my Remington Model 700. It would be great to have their warranty service so close to home!

I agree with Sixgun on both points - you generally get what you pay for, and I no longer use "rimfire" (small diameter) scopes on any guns.

I've actually had great luck with Leapers/UTG scopes. These are relatively inexpensive. I just have a hard time spending more on the glass than I do on the gun for general-purpose firearms!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Leupold Rimfire....great!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't have one, but one detail I read about Leupold rimfires is they are set to be parallax free at 60 yards instead of 50.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I currently have 5 Leupold scopes, three of them 4x Rimfire scopes and the others a 2-7x28 Compact and a 2-7x32 VX-II.

I have the variable scopes mounted on rifles I use in longer-range circumstances/hunts.
The fixed RF scopes are on my RF TreeRat rifles, generally shot up to 75yds or so.

I've had other Leupold scopes over the past 40 years, mostly 2x & 3X fixed powers, and have never had an issue with any of them.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The main difference between a hi power scope and a rimfire scope would be the paralax setting. If you happen to have a hi power scope you like or you find a high power scope that has features you like over what a rimfire scope can offer, it is a setting that can be changed.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Rusty wrote:The main difference between a hi power scope and a rimfire scope would be the paralax setting.
Exactly. The perfect scope to me is one with an adjustable objective. The Leupold EFR rimfire scopes are great on 22LR's airguns, or smaller centerfires where you want a compact light scope.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have the 4X rimfire that I bought used at a gun show and a 2X7X28 rimfire that I purchased new. Both are extremely bright. When we shoot rabbits it is like getting an extra 10-12 minutes of shooting time which makes a big difference when the rabbits come out. They are crystal clear and sighted in with no issues. I really like the compact size and weight of the 4X but some of our shooting is further away at smaller stuff so the 7X comes in handy at times. Highly recommend either of them!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sixgun wrote:Bob,
When you say rimfire scopes, are you talking the 3/4" tube job? If so, they are dinosaurs. All guys I know, including myself use 1" scopes, the same scope that's used on center fires.

I'm not real scope literate, but for the most part, you get what you pay for in scopes. Leupold ranks up there at the top of regular scopes and you can't go wrong with anything they make or have made.

If you ever fall in a money pit, get yourself a Nightforce.-----6
I'm talking a real quality scope of 1". The support of Leupold is a real big point for me. Also the local shop is a full service shop that can adjust parallax, change reticles, and such. They repaired my M8- 2.5X power scope after 30 years! Folks on some forums like the Nikon 4X Rimfire scope and it is priced right.

I would need a big pit of money for the Nightforce!!!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks guys, the AO feature is often recommended by the airgun crowd. I think the simpler styles interests me. My main target will be cans.

Originally I considered the FX-II 2.5X ultralight. I have a very old M8-2.5X Ultralight and liked the scope on my 444. It suffered a problem caused by a moving my guns across the country in a moving van. The new FX-II is a nice modern upgrade, 1/4 moa and modern optics a notch above the rimfire line, basically even with the VX-2 line. It is interesting that the rimfire line is made to the same strength of the centerfire models as far as recoil is concerned. Parallax at 60 and fine reticles seem to be the main difference.

The ultralight FX-II 4X28 is an option as it is the upgraded rimfire of the same specs. It might need parallax adjustment as it said to be set at 100 yards. It just seems that it might be not worth the extra cash.

I think putting the M8 on a 22 for testing is sensible.

One issue for us is that the American government will not allow the export of scopes by mailorder. It is a UN treaty think I think. Could those folks be more corrupt and foolish, sorry for the rant! This can really affect choices and stocked types.