Hawaii Sucks Because

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Hawaii Sucks Because

Post by jeepnik »

It openly allows racial slurs against the Caucasian minority

Haeole, a derogatory term for whites. It is openly used by many including the Governor of the state.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Hawaii Sucks Because

Post by Griff »

It's full of tourists.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

After spending Navy bootcamp with 14 of 'em I don't care how pretty it is there, I don't care if I ever go. If most mainlanders knew how thye really feel about us (thanks for your cash, now go home), they would never have any tourists but the Japanese.

My wife made noises about going there for our 40th next year, but after her friend went now we're looking at St. Croix.
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's pretty, but, I could never live there....When I was stationed there for almost two years, I got Island Fever....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Our friend Ji is from there and he seems to tolerate us! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Larkbill wrote:After spending Navy bootcamp with 14 of 'em I don't care how pretty it is there, I don't care if I ever go. If most mainlanders knew how thye really feel about us (thanks for your cash, now go home), they would never have any tourists but the Japanese.

My wife made noises about going there for our 40th next year, but after her friend went now we're looking at St. Croix.
It is about the same way with Puerto Rico. The only reason they want associated with the US is for all the benefits that it gets them. I still dont think Puerto Rico pays any federal tax dollars but we definately have money going out to them. Hawaii is definately one of the most racist states, and what is odd is no one even challenges it.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

Probably because they believe the racists are right. Once you take a place or incorporate it, never say sorry.

I keep hearing about good hunting.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I worked for a Hawaiian in a shop in LA. He is a great, kind fellow, and pretty open. He mentioned that the "classes" back "home" were clearly divided; Royal Hawaiian (pure Hawaiian), Japanese Hawaiian, Chinese Hawaiian, and all the other nationalities were well defined. He said often there was "trouble" dealing with Japanese Hawaiians because he is Chinese Hawaiian. Japanese, Chinese, Caucasian, Black, etc. were all treated, some times differently, according to their ethnicity. Samoans were way down on the list...

BTW what is the literal meaning of " haeole"?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Honky, Gringo, Anyone white. Google is still Ur friend.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

My uncle lived there for 30 years. Married one, his second son is half Hawaiian. He died there, he's buried there.

They still considered him a foreigner to his dying day.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sure ain't because of how cold it is. A few Canadians have visited over the years.

Isn't the governor Dog the Bounty Hunter or is it Becky?
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I'd be in favor of letting the Chinese have it to call off our debt to them.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

MrMurphy wrote:My uncle lived there for 30 years. Married one, his second son is half Hawaiian. He died there, he's buried there.

They still considered him a foreigner to his dying day.
try moving to Comfort, TX - you'll be a foreigner there, too, till your dying day.

they just gonna have a hard time skinning my teeth
Last edited by bdhold on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

44-40 Willy wrote:I'd be in favor of letting the Chinese have it to call off our debt to them.
They would love to have a military base so close to the US, and be able to cut off half the Pacific if they feel like it.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Their gun control laws!

Cat
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I CANT AFFORD TO GO THERE FOR VACATION :cry:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

UncleBuck wrote:I CANT AFFORD TO GO THERE FOR VACATION :cry:
If you can go to one of the less popular islands, and stay a couple blocks off the beach, you might be surprised how inexpensive..especially if you go through an agent that has packaged deals they can't sell....Go to the Big Island, and rent a car. I got my fill when I was stationed there two years, but, everyone should try to go once. I rate it up there with the best National Parks in CONUS....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I was born In Honolulu in the late fifties and have only made one trip back 7-8 years ago to Oahu. When I stopped into the Harley shop, one of the locals asked where I was from, and I told him Utah. He proceeded to tell me in Hawaii they can ride their Harley's 365 days a year. I told him when I ride my Harley 400 miles, I haven't passed the same place 8 times....lol
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

draperjojo wrote:I was born In Honolulu in the late fifties and have only made one trip back 7-8 years ago to Oahu. When I stopped into the Harley shop, one of the locals asked where I was from, and I told him Utah. He proceeded to tell me in Hawaii they can ride their Harley's 365 days a year. I told him when I ride my Harley 400 miles, I haven't passed the same place 8 times....lol
Ha! That really brightened up my day! THATS what I call a snappy comeback with the upmost in perfection :D

As far as this post is concerned, why worry about what the Hawaiians think and what they call us.
It seems like everyone who is not Caucasian is mad at us just because they got double dipped. Geeze, I wish they would all get over it. We are who we are.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Meh. The world is full of double standards. I guess my indifference comes from a healthy tour via aircraft carrier across most of SE Asia and instantly being a minority the moment I stepped onto the pier. Plenty of names for white folk everywhere you go. Don't doubt Hawaii is any exception. I'd be more concerned with the lack of firearm rights than being called a gringo by any other name. Or Angmoh. Or Bule. Or Gaijin. Or...

:)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Our two daughters 31 and 25 have been there twice in the last two years, reckon it is the greatest place in the world, everything is a little old but still the greatest.
Had a funny incident when they were there, they were walking down the street with a couple of their friends (girls), when a young guy comes up to them, and says you girls are Aussie's, they said how do you know that, and he said because Aussie girls always have skinny ankles.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll likely never go there, because it costs too much, and violates my rule that I don't go places where CCW isn't allowed (that is not particularly for 'fear', but more from principle - I won't support such societies).

As far as the 'attitude' - it's something you see in some form or another wherever there is a large 'tourist' business; the indigenous folks see a bunch of spoiled foreigners constantly trodding through and making a superficial pass through their place, slinging money around like we have no sense of frugality, and it's no wonder they only see us as stupid sheep to be fleeced.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Well, we have been to Hawaii many times over the past 30+ years, and have stayed on pretty well every island, with Kauai and Maui the favorites. Easy trip from California, obviously not near as far to travel as from the rest of the country. I have never had a lick of trouble, and have found it a beautiful place (and I mean REALLY beautiful) with nice people. There are punks like everywhere else, but who cares. Great place to go to slow down and relax.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2405 ... hate-crime

WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) - A Waikiki man is battered and bruised after a violent robbery this weekend. Police arrested six men for the beating. Adrian Dady, 25, is out of the hospital, but his body needs time to heal.

"I have a broken nose and a broken cheekbone and a broken wrist,and I have a couple staples in my head," said Dady.

Dady said he left a friend's apartment in Waikiki around 4:30 a.m. on Saturday and was walking near Kuhio Avenue and Kalaimoku Street. According to him, that is when a truck with several men passed by.

"Calling me a haole *****, ****** and all this other stuff and cut me off as I was walking across the street,and then they jumped out of the truck," said Dady.

Dady said the men attacked him even though he begged them to stop and took the money that fell out of his pocket. After the men sped off, a police officer came by. Authorities arrested six men in their early 20's about 30 minutes later on Wilder Avenue. Dady moved to Hawaii from Oregon and works as a house painter. He called the assault a hate crime.

"They're the ones that approached me. I was minding my own business walking down the street," Dady said. "Kept calling me haole and all kinds of derogatory words with the haole."

"I'm just pretty horrified and devastated to think that that's something that could happen for absolutely no reason," said Rianne Woodbury, the victim's sister who lives in Oregon.

Dady is now on pain medication. He is worried about paying his rent since he won't be able to work for awhile, but said he won't let the assault ruin his image of Hawaii.

The six men arrested for robbery were released early Sunday morning pending further investigation.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

mikld wrote:
BTW what is the literal meaning of " haeole"?
Actually it's Haole (hah oleh). It literally translates "without breath". The true meaning and origins is lost in time but I have heard at least two explanations. One my Hawaiian Auntie told me when I was young, she said the Hawaiians when first seeing fair skinned Europeans thought their skin color resembled that of a dead person thus "haole" without breath like the dead. I don't buy this story. The second origin story I heard from my Hawaiian language teacher in high school 35+ years ago. Hawaiians had a traditional way of greeting since ancient times, it was the exchanging of breath or "ha" (still practiced in many parts of Polynesia). To greet two individuals would approach one another and come face to face and slowly make facial contact with the forehead and nose while holding each other's shoulder or back of head, then they would both let out a deep exhale followed by an inhale to exchange the "ha" or breath. First Europeans did not know this customary greeting so refused to perform it. No exchanging of breath so ha-ole or no-breath.
In modern times it reflects anything non indigenous to the islands, people, animals, plants, even music, customs, beliefs though starting in the early 20th century the term more directed at those of European origins.

My dad as many of you know was a haole and I'm proud of my hapahaole (part haole) heritage. My dad referred to himself as a haole. Haole itself is NOT a derogatory term at all but the context determines the meaning.

Here's a local song made very popular a few years back addressing the local race issues. Please listen to the whole song to the end and let me know what you think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2YLvGGtwY
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had thought I would like to go there sometime and hunt the Blacktails or Axis on the island they are supposed to inhabit . But I suspect the only way I'll ever be in Hawaii is on a layover flight to or from the Philippines .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

6pt-sika wrote:I had thought I would like to go there sometime and hunt the Blacktails or Axis on the island they are supposed to inhabit . But I suspect the only way I'll ever be in Hawaii is on a layover flight to or from the Philippines .

The Blacktails on Kaua'i are by drawing for the tags so difficult to draw a tag but also very difficult to hunt since these Blacktails love the heavy underbrush so difficult to see, to approach silently, no get a shot. Success rate very low.

The Axis deer on Lana'i also only by drawing, and day specific for just one weekend. This hunt IF you draw a tag at least your success rates is not bad. When I have drawn I have been successful. Open range with high powered scoped rifles the norm. ON Maui the Axis deer are vermin so no closed season, no limits, either sex. Only thing is the deer are smart enough to stay off public lands, and private land access impossible except through a guide (or you know someone). I think better chance getting a trophy buck in Texas thru Joe Rieker then hunting Hawai'i, and cheaper too.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:I had thought I would like to go there sometime and hunt the Blacktails or Axis on the island they are supposed to inhabit . But I suspect the only way I'll ever be in Hawaii is on a layover flight to or from the Philippines .

The Blacktails on Kaua'i are by drawing for the tags so difficult to draw a tag but also very difficult to hunt since these Blacktails love the heavy underbrush so difficult to see, to approach silently, no get a shot. Success rate very low.

The Axis deer on Lana'i also only by drawing, and day specific for just one weekend. This hunt IF you draw a tag at least your success rates is not bad. When I have drawn I have been successful. Open range with high powered scoped rifles the norm. ON Maui the Axis deer are vermin so no closed season, no limits, either sex. Only thing is the deer are smart enough to stay off public lands, and private land access impossible except through a guide (or you know someone). I think better chance getting a trophy buck in Texas thru Joe Rieker then hunting Hawai'i, and cheaper too.
Texas may very well be true but I have no intention of paying for a whitetail . Needs to be something that I can't kill at home .
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

6pt-sika wrote:

Texas may very well be true but I have no intention of paying for a whitetail . Needs to be something that I can't kill at home .
Whitetail? Didn't mention whitetail, said Axis.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

6pt-sika wrote:

Whitetail? Didn't mention whitetail, said Axis.
Sorry I just think whitetail when you say Texas !
But I still have no intention of paying to hunt Texas .
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

... Because it's an Island, a long ways from anywhere, and I can't just Drive there for a weekend, and then drive home again when I get tired of it.. They don't take kindly to guns or hunters, in spite of advertizing to hunters..

I also had an Uncle who went back to Hawaii, just after WWII, and married a wonderful and gracious Hawaiian woman.. They lived near Laie, Oahu, and raised a daughter and son.. I was often told that I wouldn't like it there, and have no reason to doubt the source.. Both cousins came to live on the Mainland..

Besides... It ain't Wyoming, Idaho or Montana, and that's really all the reason I need, not to go...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...