Any of you guys do the Lyme Disease Vaccine?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Any of you guys do the Lyme Disease Vaccine?

Post by madman4570 »

Rolling down the road with windows open of our little Ford Escape wind blowing like heck and probably deer ticks flying all over my SUV's inside and wife yelling at me cause I said while she is cramped in front seat with all my hunting extra clothes now taken off,my gun which I said don't bump the scope honey! She said my hair itches? :roll:

She said take me back to house, I said it will only be 10 mins 5 miles down the road to drop off Mr. Buck for cut-up, fill out order form for shoulder mount, etc. and of course see who got what? Oh and give him 50% down $375 Honey hand me your Credit Card wanna see a big stuffed bear? :oops: :D

Any of you guys do the vaccine? I am very seriously considering it. But I am afraid it will make me sick and screw up my 6year no Doc deal. But if I get Lyme,think I will need a Doc this time?????
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Any of you guys do the Lyme Disease Vaccine?

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm usually vaccinated against all citrus fruit, so I stick to cranberries... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No. I've read about it, but it seems to be a regional thing.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

There is a lyme disease vaccine for dogs.
There is not currently a vaccine for humans.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

25 years ago or so, working for a gummint agency here in Oregon, some desk jocky got the bright idea that all us "field personnel" (who might accidentally get out of the pickup and walk around in the sagebrush) would be required to get the Lyme disease shot. So we got a shot they said was for Lyme disease.

Then some bright person figured out that we don't have Lyme disease in Oregon, though we do have at least one nasty disease we can get from ticks. No vaccine for the one we might could get, so we didn't have to get any more shots after that one flurry of stupidity.

I don't know what they really gave us, but whatever it was didn't make anybody sick.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

earlmck wrote:25 years ago or so, working for a gummint agency here in Oregon, some desk jocky got the bright idea that all us "field personnel" (who might accidentally get out of the pickup and walk around in the sagebrush) would be required to get the Lyme disease shot. So we got a shot they said was for Lyme disease.

Then some bright person figured out that we don't have Lyme disease in Oregon, though we do have at least one nasty disease we can get from ticks. No vaccine for the one we might could get, so we didn't have to get any more shots after that one flurry of stupidity.

I don't know what they really gave us, but whatever it was didn't make anybody sick.
You've probably built up a good immunity to Herpes Leporidae by now.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

765x53 wrote:There is a lyme disease vaccine for dogs.
There is not currently a vaccine for humans.
I do see that they pulled Human one Lymerix. Up here in the East I have to tell you guys like in NY,Pa you boys better be absolutely beyond the scope of being careful this year. The deer ticks this year that can/are spreading lyme are ealier aged and tinier than ever before.Why, I have no idea. I know at least 20 people,ones that are friends that have had to go through treatment. One of the latest a 22 year old healthy athletic guy that recently required a pacemaker to be put in because the lyme almost killed him.

The size of the ticks that seem to be getting most people are almost microscopic this year. About the size of a grain of pepper.They attach, bite and swell up to about the size of the normal deer tick prior to bitting. And most people have no idea until a rash or they are sick.

Example, last month when lifting one leftover piece of roof sheet metal they left laying on the lawn for one night. That next morning lifting it up I noticed all these black dots and some brown bigger ticks.Went in grabbed magnifying glass came back out and attached to the underside of the metal was 46 deer ticks and 7 wood ticks.

Our dog groomer that does our mini schnauzer said lady came in to have her Yorkie cut and that little dog which lives in town and lady has small lawn had 21 tiny deer ticks on it.

Prior to making my chipmunk death house I had a couple rat traps I set out by my high barn shed baited with peanut butter. I reused them couple times. This last time licked empty nothing caught went to pickup trap re peanut butter set it back down and saw a grain of pepper sized tick crawling up hand-----------tiny deer tick.

Guys in woods around this part of country really really watch your a##es. No joke, their tiny, it seems like most are infected and if you get bit plan on making some visits to doc quick. Also it seems like when bit the people are also getting sick within a couple days which makes me think this issue is getting more lethal. How do you keep out something the size of a grain of pepper that can stay affixed to wet metal sheet being banged on and even tipped on its side so the ticks virtually are stuck on a straight up wet smooth metal wall and that wall being pounded on and they still hold? :o

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/he ... story.html

Anyhow, got to go out and see if I can get a bear with my .223 Get some deer ticks! :shock:
Different method on this one hunting today,its windy so just a silent spot stalk and walk.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I would probably try a repellant like Muskol or whatever 100% deet they sell up their for mosquitoes. Works great for chiggers (one spot I worked in Mexico was terrible for chiggers), should work for ticks too.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Not all people will test positive for it!!!!! I didn't test positive & it dang near killed me
after 3 Doctors I found one that treated me for it with out the stupid test, he said
something bout to much CYA going on and no common sense
I relapsed for 10 years, but still have some side effects, it can kill you!!!!

ollogger
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

If that aint enough there is also lone star tick disease. A guy at work got it. Maybe DDT and Chlordane wernt so bad after all.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

I worked with a fellow that almost had to quit working because of the pain until they they figured out that he had Lyme.

I'm surprised at the physicians that don't check for Lyme. If you hunt or spend any amount of time in the woods that should be the first thing they check for not the last.

I started using Sawyer (Permethrin) spray on my clothes. I know some guys that swear by it.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

If you are considering getting a vaccine that was pulled off the market 12 years ago, I have to seriously wonder about the accuracy of the rest of the LYME disease information you have provided related to vector size, and increasing virulence, etc.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

octagon wrote:If you are considering getting a vaccine that was pulled off the market 12 years ago, I have to seriously wonder about the accuracy of the rest of the LYME disease information you have provided related to vector size, and increasing virulence, etc.
Dude, :lol: Put down whatever your smoking. :lol:

The issues surrounding my local area with a bunch of tiny ticks via dog groomer, my sheet metal panel, checking a rat trap etc. or the friend of our daughters that went to her University almost dying. What in the he## does that have about myself wondering about the latest issues in the Medical field. :roll: :lol:

That new vaccine who the heck knows except that shows like maybe its a good one when available. They talked like it was available now! Reason I asked was when I took my dogs for their yearly Lyme Booster update and refills of Advantix II etc. The Vets mentioned about the human issues and vaccines etc.
That is why I even put this question out here.
Hey, don't believe me come here trudge around in the grass leaves woods and don't worry about the pepper sized biters. If you ain't worried I ain't either--for you pard!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lyme disease can adapt to the things we use to try to kill it with, just as many other bacteria do. Vaccinated immunity to it is a good idea. Now, I have had customers here in Texas for whom I have dispensed antibiotics to be used for Lyme Disease, and it seems to be getting worse.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

When you say you are considering doing the vaccine for Lyme's, it indicates that there IS a vaccine available at this time. There is not one currently available, though there are some early stage trails being conducted. If you are spreading misinformation, don't get pissy if someone calls you on it. As this forum has many outdoorsmen on it, I think they deserve accurate info. And ----- by the way---- I don't smoke.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

octagon wrote:When you say you are considering doing the vaccine for Lyme's, it indicates that there IS a vaccine available at this time. There is not one currently available, though there are some early stage trails being conducted. If you are spreading misinformation, don't get pissy if someone calls you on it. As this forum has many outdoorsmen on it, I think they deserve accurate info. And ----- by the way---- I don't smoke.

I usually don't get pi### it was your content. Look my Dogs vet told us about a new vaccine. We assumed it was out now,but we remembered the old one supposedly either not working or giving off bad side effects.
My topic title was a question? Meaning I surely do not assume to know much about that vaccine etc.

The other items I do know of from actual people here and actually experiences these people and also a few ECO's.
That info I assume is legit! The tiny deer tick on my hand trying to dig in I verified. The lady that does our Schnauzer I would say is an authority what is going around via either Deer Ticks or Wood ticks on the pets they see as well as my Vet Clinic.
My friends that have recently been bitten with the smaller than normal size deer ticks and having symptoms I can verify. In fact 4 had no sign of even a tick on them except a bullseye rash accompanied by sudden extreme symptoms. the poor kid with pacemaker which now has been removed as of couple weeks ago I know for a fact almost died and had a Medical Bill around $400K

The tiny ticks all over my metal piece of siding I know is fact.

Where you went wrong was how you relate to another person. You should be called on that I guess.

Example. Someone says have any of you guys tried the new Lawn Boy two wheeled brush trimmer yet?

I hear that this year the brush and weeds in Bradford County,Pa is really bad because of being an exceptionally wet year.
Because of this the mosquitos and knats seem much worse than normal because of this and the insects breeding earlier this year I am hearing of some more potential health risks because all the stagnant water?

Your answer probably would be then:
It's not a Lawn Boy it must be a DR Trimmer. Now because there is no Lawn Boy wheeled trimmer, I doubt your other conclusions, probably are kludged ? Heck, maybe even Bradford County wasn't wet, those insects weren't even there? and maybe the earth is falling too. :lol:

Hey, whatever dude! You worry about your own bugs! I will worry about mine!
Last time I knew, but here we go again only Doxycycline was what worked for early treatment of Lyme Disease? Might be otherwise?
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

If you intend to offer advice on "How I relate to another person" to prove "where I went wrong" and even speculate on how I might answer your imaginary example, you'll have to pardon me if I again question the source...
Correct me If I am wrong, but was it not you who once offered a beating to an older member over an Internet argument, by traveling to Virginia (where you were going anyway) ? I recall this beating was to be administered without use of your hands due to your superior skills in Martial arts? This example of your behavior does not in my opinion speak well of your OWN skills in "relating to another person" and I find it very odd that someone so obviously lacking in interpersonal skills feels free to point out that same short coming in others.
In my own experience with martial arts instructors, I thought one of the basic principles of teaching was to build good character, including self control, respect for others, discipline, courtesy etc. I believe you stated you had studied with a famous and most excellent instructor, who must have taught you these principles and yet you were willing and even eager to beat another forum member over an Internet spat. I find this behavior most incongruous with the teachings of martial arts.
As another forum member recently pointed out, many of your posts are rambling and incoherent and yet this has not stunted your monumental bravado as you have reminded us all ad nauseum of your great strength, size, and unparalleled skill with both rifles and bows presenting yourself as no less than a modern Hercules. I, for one, have never witnessed such Herculean narcissism. Ever.
As a member here for about ten years, I realize that no one gets the last word in conversation with you, and I will not attempt to here, my point is simply this: The talk you talk is in sharp contrast to the walk you walk-------------Pard!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sigh...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote:Lyme disease can adapt to the things we use to try to kill it with, just as many other bacteria do. Vaccinated immunity to it is a good idea. Now, I have had customers here in Texas for whom I have dispensed antibiotics to be used for Lyme Disease, and it seems to be getting worse.
ollogger wrote:Not all people will test positive for it!!!!! I didn't test positive & it dang near killed me after 3 Doctors I found one that treated me for it with out the stupid test, he said something bout to much CYA going on and no common sense I relapsed for 10 years, but still have some side effects, it can kill you!!!!
One good thing about the "overuse of antibiotics" for common upper respiratory infections, is that we inadvertently wind up covering many folks for nascent Lyme disease that would otherwise not get treated. The same thing happened with Rheumatic Fever years ago - our 'overuse' of penicillin for admittedly-often-viral URI's wound up killing enough of the causative bacteria that we reduced the number of cases quite a bit. Undoubtedly there were many other factors, of course.

"too much CYA going on, and no common sense" says it all...

Where I teach (a hospital residency program) the soon-to-be-physicians are literally AFRAID to order any test that doesn't make the hospital profit (i.e. "is not on the Epic system"), or any treatment that isn't on the hospital protocol (i.e. might be state-of-the-art and 'too current', or just not generate enough profit). Sad to see such huge amounts of education and brain-power just WASTED... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

octagon wrote:If you intend to offer advice on "How I relate to another person" to prove "where I went wrong" and even speculate on how I might answer your imaginary example, you'll have to pardon me if I again question the source...
Correct me If I am wrong, but was it not you who once offered a beating to an older member over an Internet argument, by traveling to Virginia (where you were going anyway) ? I recall this beating was to be administered without use of your hands due to your superior skills in Martial arts? This example of your behavior does not in my opinion speak well of your OWN skills in "relating to another person" and I find it very odd that someone so obviously lacking in interpersonal skills feels free to point out that same short coming in others.
In my own experience with martial arts instructors, I thought one of the basic principles of teaching was to build good character, including self control, respect for others, discipline, courtesy etc. I believe you stated you had studied with a famous and most excellent instructor, who must have taught you these principles and yet you were willing and even eager to beat another forum member over an Internet spat. I find this behavior most incongruous with the teachings of martial arts.
As another forum member recently pointed out, many of your posts are rambling and incoherent and yet this has not stunted your monumental bravado as you have reminded us all ad nauseum of your great strength, size, and unparalleled skill with both rifles and bows presenting yourself as no less than a modern Hercules. I, for one, have never witnessed such Herculean narcissism. Ever.
As a member here for about ten years, I realize that no one gets the last word in conversation with you, and I will not attempt to here, my point is simply this: The talk you talk is in sharp contrast to the walk you walk-------------Pard!
:lol: :D

Wow!
I must have impressed you! I can't even remember who that was or why it all started. I do remember something about getting in the ring with someone and having a friendly go to. No hard feelings. heck up here for fun we drink beer and then try to throw each other in the creek its all fun bro.
Do I think I am Hercules :lol: Nope. However I am not the right person to call me a liar or a *** cause she ain't one.

What I say I can do, I can do period. If you can do it it ain't lying. Boasting,ya maybe sometimes I might. Probably a little security issue with myself??? Maybe not.

I am proud of things I have done that I have paid my dues and thus it could be good or be bad?? However one views it.

Now, speaking of lying ?? You son might be stretching the truth a tad. Example, where did I say I am an expert with a bow??
Only thing I can ever remember discussing bows is myself getting whipped trying to pull a bunch back when I went looking for a bow, or two when the issue of what is more accurate a scoped crossbow or a regular bow??
My view was sure as heck for me a scoped rifle type setup crossbow on a concrete shooting table is better. For me.
Which means shooting bows I being compared to many on here, I su##

The strength thing. Yep, I am strong.I think I mention it more now as I age. Honestly as I think about it I don't know many people half a century old that can do many reps of over 225lbs or use 200lbs as their warm up weight. That's right I just start at 200lbs to warm up. never pull anything. guess I am proud of that. Boasting ??? ya probably!

Shooting, yes I am cocky about that but I can back it up so its being just kinda cocky. Guess that is being of a competitive nature all my life. how bout you?
Mentioning my size??? I see that no different than someone 400lbs mentioning theirs. Just can't help that I am just a big dude. I am glad too. maybe you are not don't know?
My Sensei ?? did I do some things that he frowned upon ?? Sure didn't like myself wearing a team jacket into a bar.Probably cost me an additional year and $$$$ to get where I wanted to get. :lol: Young and foolish and full of testosterone. :oops: Don't do it now! :D

But on other stuff I like competition. Heck I would like to be arm wrestling you all at the campfire???
But,as a friend or to someone I respect I am a true friend!

That remark because that vaccine had been discontinued (the first one) and I was under the impression the new one had recently came out, guess its my bad? but to say basically everything you say is either a lie or is kludged, yep pard you ticked me off a tad.

We will let it go though, cause I have the feeling you have a hang up on someone that is decent sized and can take care of themselves. maybe you were stuck in the toilet repeatedly during gym class or maybe not ?? I don't know?? Don't care.

The no hands thing ?? probably wasn't the brightest thing to say, course I am not the brightest. Maybe you are.

Heck, get some weights, man up, get feeling good about yourself and my post won't traumatize you so much. heck even come up here and I will help you pard! :wink: :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I am much entertained by your snappy banter.

Makes me want to beat my chest and howl, run around markin' territory and such.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Fellow Levergunner Friends,

Let me speak as plain as I can. This post I put on here was put on here with two missions.
The first was to find out what the reactions were if any, for any members who might have tried the new Lyme Vaccine which I thought was recently put back out to what I gathered from our dogs recent Vet Clinic visit. I know, I know, it is not released yet. my bad on that.

The other issue which is the #2 reason posting this was a warning from myself about what I conceive as a raised threat this year for you members contracting Lyme disease. This was gathered a totally different way. This was gathered from actual people either myself, my wife, or my daughter actually knowing that have become infected and what they stated how it went down. Also two ECO's at our Gun Club talking to me about how much worse this year it is and how tiny the infected ticks latching on transmitting the dieses are. Making detection even harder etc. I knew this also personally from my little rat trap episode as noted on above post as well as the shear number of ticks discovered on that metal panel episode.

So, after the short question on first post about "have any of you people taken the vaccine" which I thought was out ? The rest of my topic was a WARNING,WARNING that there is increased potential for Lyme threat and was a HEADS UP!

No different than don't walk there its a field full of mines, or be careful driving there is twenty deer in the road down yonder. Pure and simple.

For some "I won't say it" to be as absolutely unmannered and just plain rude stating because of a fact he knows to be incorrect in that context state basically "then everything you say how can we believe you" deal, if you people don't think that is kludged then maybe this Site is not where I need to spend my time.

Hundreds of times I see things someone says on here that might be a tad off, or out of wack "including me I know that" I sure as he## would not have the disrespect to post if you think the one thing is that maybe your totally wacked.

Example, I have seen someone post something about a gun or its ammo or whatever and it is not quite true. I sure as he## am not going to post because you stated the wrong bullet then your whole hunting adventure must be not true etc. I take that as calling someone a liar. At that point,absolutely you have pi##ed me off. I probably am going to pounce back teeth and claws out. Smart ?? maybe not but that is just me!

I make no excuses and frankly no apologies for that.

Now, the big, bad, super hero thing some on here think I try to impose. If it comes down that way it is not meant to be such.
We all have our passions, probably some of mine bore you and maybe some of yours bore me. However due to respect to you all I will shut my mouth and show you the respect that if you like whatever then I am down with that.

Cannot help my passions are and always have been and will be some of the top following. Weightlifting, Guitar playing,Shooting,Fishing,Fly Tying, Martial Arts, Baseball and Softball,Arm Wrestling,Discus,Shot Put. ATV Riding,

Because of this why some people draw down on me got no idea why unless they feel deeply inept with themselves or are some kind of Pacifist??

Can't remember the who why where on the no hands deal but ya sure I was probably ticked some, however I probably after a time let it ride and made amends?? maybe not??

One thing I might make mistakes as everyone on here does, cause last time I knew only God was perfect!
Warning to all, I say something incorrect,call me on that cool and dandy. As I will you all.
Call me a liar, and yes I consider someone saying then maybe everything in the whole post of your/wife's/daughter's experiences is wrong---that is calling me,them liars. Do that and I will warn you right now and upfront, better hang on your a##es for what you get back.
Don't like that--Tough!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmm... it mighta been better to just ask, "whadda y'all know about Lyme disease vaccines, if any?" Now, I'm curious about what the answer to that might be. Without all the angst.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Griff wrote:Hmmm... it mighta been better to just ask, "whadda y'all know about Lyme disease vaccines, if any?" Now, I'm curious about what the answer to that might be. Without all the angst.

Yep, will not disagree.

Though I can get hot Griff , I do usually tend to cool down fast.
In fact I even like octagon :oops: :D I even dumped the Rude other topic to something nice!
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

madman4570 wrote:
Any of you guys do the vaccine? I am very seriously considering it.
Please, it takes some kind of pre-existing condition to think this is passing on as fact the existence of a working vaccine. I wanted to believe it for about 1 post having thought they only had one for horses. There are any number of times I really seriously consider buying some gun, say, only to find they don't sell it in Canada. Not really a crime.