Savage Scout .358

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Savage Scout .358

Post by 1886 »

There seems to be a lot of discussion lately regarding the .358 Win. I recently pick up Savage's latest version of their scout rifle chambered in .308. I have been considering a rechamber/rebore to .358 Win and topping it with a Leatherwood L.E.R 2x7. I am very fond of the .358. I welcome your feedback. Regards, 1886.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage Scout .358

Post by 86er »

Why not? If you already have .35 caliber(s) you will have bullets on hand or need them and the 358 Win shares nicely with other rounds from 180 grain to 250 grain. You can load it to a low recoil level like a 308 or you can crank it up to greater potential for bigger game. Brass is easy enough to form from 308 but 358 seems available albut pricey. The bolt action Savage allows a bit longer loaded cartridge length so you could push the bullets moreso than in a levergun if you really wanted to. I think the cartridge performs well as intended in factory forms but I like to load 35 Remington cloans for known short range work to save on recoil, powder and premium bullets. Another full-power load can cover longer range and bigger critters. The versatility is there, the platform is sound and the 358 diameter has proven to be extremely efficient and effective. I think it's a good idea that you will enjoy.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good idea if that is the cartridge you really like.---6
Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

RJM52
Levergunner

Post by RJM52 »

Go for it.... A friend and I both have the Ruger Frontier in .358 Winchester...great little guns. I have a 2.5X Leupold IER scope on mine and my friend just upgraded to a 2-7 Burris Scout scope with their ballistic-drop reticle.

I've killed one deer with mine using the Speer 220 FP. My friend uses a 200 grain RCBS cast bullet which he was hoping to take his deer with this year but because of heart surgery has to sit out this season....

Please let us know who you have the rebore done by.... The .358 is a way under appreciated round...

Bob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

RJM52 wrote:Go for it.... A friend and I both have the Ruger Frontier in .358 Winchester...great little guns. I have a 2.5X Leupold IER scope on mine and my friend just upgraded to a 2-7 Burris Scout scope with their ballistic-drop reticle.

I've killed one deer with mine using the Speer 220 FP. My friend uses a 200 grain RCBS cast bullet which he was hoping to take his deer with this year but because of heart surgery has to sit out this season....

Please let us know who you have the rebore done by.... The .358 is a way under appreciated round...

Bob
I would have JES do the work. I have played with several Frontier rifles chambered in .358. They were super accurate rifles. I always thought a "proper" hunting rifle should wear open sights. Having a front sight mounted would be no big deal and NECG makes a fine QD rear sight. Just my thoughts. 1886.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Can't speak to the cartridge having never fired one, but the Savage 110 Scout is a solid rifle, you'll be happy with it. If it's the newer ones with the mag release in front of the mag, even better (the side button occasionally dropped mags). Not sure why they ever thought that spot was a wise idea for a bolt gun.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

MrMurphy wrote:Can't speak to the cartridge having never fired one, but the Savage 110 Scout is a solid rifle, you'll be happy with it. If it's the newer ones with the mag release in front of the mag, even better (the side button occasionally dropped mags). Not sure why they ever thought that spot was a wise idea for a bolt gun.
The newer ones are nice rifles. The accu-stock was a solid addition to the rifle's features. I am certain it will be a keeper. 1886.
RJM52
Levergunner

Post by RJM52 »

..first thing I did was put sights on the Frontier...my friend's gun also. Williams front sight base with a XS white line blade and a NECG rear peep....

Why Ruger didn't put their excellent banded front sight on with a fold down rear on the rib like a #1 I have no clue...

Bob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

RJM52 wrote:..first thing I did was put sights on the Frontier...my friend's gun also. Williams front sight base with a XS white line blade and a NECG rear peep....

Why Ruger didn't put their excellent banded front sight on with a fold down rear on the rib like a #1 I have no clue...

Bob
Great choices and I agree with your point about Ruger's excellent banded front sight. Sounds like you have an excellent rifle. They do shoot. 1886.