Why "can't" you use ordinary chest freezers in your barn...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Why "can't" you use ordinary chest freezers in your barn...?

Post by AJMD429 »

We've always kept a fridge in the barn (unheated), and often a freezer or two, for deer-meat, extra beer, or whatever. Never any problems.

Went to replace a 30-year old chest freezer today, and the one I bought said NOT to operate it in temperatures below 55 degrees. Although the instruction manual was thick with lots of pages, instead of explaining the rationale for this edict, it merely reiterated it in seven different languages :roll: . Is this something due to new refrigerants, something that has always been true and I've unknowingly barely kept from blowing up my barn each winter, something just to make lawyers happy, or what...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Why "can't" you use ordinary chest freezers in your barn

Post by Blaine »

Well....I can't endorse the practice, but I've kept a small chest freezer in my carport shed for years...I don't run it all the time, but, it sure seems to work ok. Eskimos use refrigerators to keep stuff from freezing....I don't know... :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

My dad always had a frig and freezer in the unheated garage. I remember when the freezer went bad he had a hard time finding a replacement because he said a self defrosting freezer would keep defrosting when the temperatures in the garage stayed below freezing.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have mine in an unheated garage. I see no reason for having to keep it at 55 Deg.+. :?
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

We put an 10 year old one in the unheated garage to keep beef & deer meat. Never had any problem until it quit after probably 10 or more years.

busa
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

DadsMod12 wrote:My dad always had a frig and freezer in the unheated garage. I remember when the freezer went bad he had a hard time finding a replacement because he said a self defrosting freezer would keep defrosting when the temperatures in the garage stayed below freezing.
That might be the deal.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Doc,

I have read that starting a compressor, with thick, cold oil in it, could cause it to seize up. Some refrigerator/ air conditioning compressors have crankcase heaters to prevent this. This may be what your owner's manual is relating to you, without actually telling you the speciffics. Personally, I would try leaving a freezer outside, in a garage/ shed. In fact, I know someone who kept a small refrigerator on his covered carport, and he is a commercial A/C repairman.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have a dehumidifier in my basement that I use during the obvious months where the basement temps run around 75 or so. Dehumidifiers, like refrigerators and air conditioners, have compressors.

Once, during the fall we had a lot of rain and my basement was getting humid------it never leaks, very dry basement...just gets humid..................anyway, in the fall the basement temps will drop to the low fifties and after turning it on and running for several hours, I started hearing funning noises, so when I looked at it, the entire condensor?(thing that looks like a radiator) was all full of ice.

Maybe that has something to do with it.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sixgun wrote:I have a dehumidifier in my basement that I use during the obvious months where the basement temps run around 75 or so. Dehumidifiers, like refrigerators and air conditioners, have compressors.

Once, during the fall we had a lot of rain and my basement was getting humid------it never leaks, very dry basement...just gets humid..................anyway, in the fall the basement temps will drop to the low fifties and after turning it on and running for several hours, I started hearing funning noises, so when I looked at it, the entire condensor?(thing that looks like a radiator) was all full of ice.

Maybe that has something to do with it.----6
Same thing as Sixgun said. If I run my newer dehumidifier in the basement in the early spring or late fall the condensor becomes a block of ice. It has to get colder for my 20 year dehumidifier to freeze up . So find the radiator looking thing and make sure it doesn't freeze up when running when too cold.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Looks like the second generation Freon Free stuff don't work all that good :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

We have a 1951 international harvester chest type freezer that has sit on the back porch unheated since 1951. There is a 1968 Frigidaire chest freezer sitting next to it and to keep them company there is also a 1993 sears chest freezer. In the barn unheated there are two refrigerators and a upright freezer, all over 15 years old. They all work without any excitement. Seems the 55F is something new. None of our units are self defrosting, could be the answer. The fridge in our kitchen is another story. It is controlled by a computer. Turned the water off one day and had to call Maytag to come and reprogram the silly thing. INFO: If you are going to turn off the water supply to a fridge then FIRST turn off the ice maker inside the fridge. If you don't it will blow it's mind.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mark08 wrote:The fridge in our kitchen is another story. It is controlled by a computer. Turned the water off one day and had to call Maytag to come and reprogram the silly thing. INFO: If you are going to turn off the water supply to a fridge then FIRST turn off the ice maker inside the fridge. If you don't it will blow it's mind.
In the good old days, I'll bet an engineer would have gotten fired over that kind of thing...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "