Variable Scopes or Pardon My Ignorance

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Variable Scopes or Pardon My Ignorance

Post by GonnePhishin »

Never having handled let alone used a variable scope (I've shot with a fixed power scope). Question is this: if the scope is marked 3x9 does it only have two (2) power settings (the 3 and 9) or can you set it at 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 or anywhere in between? :? :?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Variable Scopes or Pardon My Ignorance

Post by new pig hunter »

Anywhere in-between from low to high.

Cheers,

Carl
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

UncleBuck,

Are you asking about a scope that is marked "3x9", or a scope that is marked "3-9"? I am accustomed to seeing a variable-power scope that is marked something like "3-9x40", indicating a variable power of between & including 3-to-9.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Uncle Buck,
Please pardon my ignorance, but have you been living under a rock? :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep - Continuous variability from the "3x" to the "9x" would be the norm - HOWEVER, sometimes the REAL magnification may be more like 2x to 8x or 3.5x to 10x or who knows what.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

"Uncle Buck,
Please pardon my ignorance, but have you been living under a rock? :D ----6"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
6 , you are a card!!! When I crack one, my wife calls me a COMODian ! :lol: :lol:
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

UncleBuck wrote:Never having handled let alone used a variable scope (I've shot with a fixed power scope). Question is this: if the scope is marked 3x9 does it only have two (2) power settings (the 3 and 9) or can you set it at 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 or anywhere in between? :? :?
Yes, you can set it at any magnification between 3 and 9. 3x9 is the magnification and the 40 is the size of the lense. The bigger the objective, the more light it lets in. I usually set mine at around 4 or 5 and power up if I'm in wide open country and turn it all the way down in heavily wooded areas. Variables nowadays are very well made.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

NO Sixgun, I don't live under a rock, but actually have been residing in this LOG. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Kinda a tight fit but it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks to those who replied and explained my question. A variable scope is kind of like a telephoto camera lens, in other words.

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Uncle Buck,
That was good and a very snappy comeback! Hey, you got electricity and running water in that log? :D -------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes , like a zoom lens on a camera.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hey, you got electricity and running water in that log? :D -------------6
Nah, a potty and kerosene lantern :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, "3-9" = "3x9" - samo-samo.

Many 3x9 variables have a Obj diameter of at least 40mmm - muchlarger than a typical 32mm diameter (of a 4x scope).

If you're contemplating aquiring any of the variable scopes over 2x7, I would advise that you take that OD of the objective bell (front) into consideration, as it may be large enough to contact the barrel (or open rear sight) causing installation (higher rings needed than most fixed-power scopes) and/or accuracy issues (from slight contact pressure).

Also, some "modern" variable scopes (especially "compact" scopes) have a main tube length that's too short to install the scope properly, w/o going to rings that are extended forward and/or back from the normal vertical positioning.

I like the log........................... :roll: . :mrgreen:

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

One thing to remember, keep it on low power when not scanning. U don't want that Big Buck @ 50 yards on 9 power.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

UncleBuck wrote:NO Sixgun, I don't live under a rock, but actually have been residing in this LOG. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Kinda a tight fit but it works.
+1 :D Do you spend more time in it and sleeping OR sitting on it and reading?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

pwl44m wrote:
One thing to remember, keep it on low power when not scanning.

U don't want that Big Buck @ 50 yards on 9 power.

Perry

With all due respect, "scanning" with any riflescope isn't a good idea, moreso if other hunters may be in the area.......... A set of binoculars and/or a spotting scope is the better/correct tool for scanning.

I get the chills, just thinking about crosshairs on me.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Pete44ru wrote:
pwl44m wrote:
One thing to remember, keep it on low power when not scanning.

U don't want that Big Buck @ 50 yards on 9 power.

Perry

With all due respect, "scanning" with any riflescope isn't a good idea, moreso if other hunters may be in the area.......... A set of binoculars and/or a spotting scope is the better/correct tool for scanning.

I get the chills, just thinking about crosshairs on me.

Ur absolutely right ! I should have been more clear, I'm sure We have all looked at something in a distant place and forgot to turn it back down and couldn't find the campfire in front of Us. I wasn't thinking clearly and for that My apologies. :oops:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif