How do you do it? Attach sight hood.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

How do you do it? Attach sight hood.

Post by getitdone1 »

Had a struggle today when I started putting the front sight hood on the front sight of my Browning model 71 Carbine. (Getting ready to sell it at auction.)

Spreading it to get it started without damaging/scratching it was the problem.

Finally I took a nylon rod I bought from Brownell's long ago and made it's diameter larger by wrapping several layers of tape around the end. (This is the rod made to use as a punch to push sights into dovetails without damaging bluing or metal.)

Once I got this rod large enough with layers of tape I pulled it up into the bottom of sight hood to where it would spread the hood and yet stay in place while I shoved the hood into the small groves of the front sight ramp.

I noticed something while doing this I'd never noticed before and maybe this gun is the first to have this--but I doubt it. There's a small notch on one side of the bottom of hood and there's a small "bump" in the metal in the groove on right side of sight ramp. The notch will fit over this "bump" once you get the hood slid back where it's supposed to be.

Anyway, main reason for this post is to ask if any of you know of a better way to get a hood started into the ramp grooves--and I'm sure some of you do--and, also ask if there's a special tool for this--and I expect there is. (I'm surprised after all these years of tinkering with guns I don't know of one.)

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: How do you do it? Attach sight hood.

Post by Blaine »

Using fingers (taped?) spread at one end, and slide the other on enough to get it started.....other than that.... :? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have a snap ring plier that has flats on it. Kinda like duck bill pliers only they open instead of squeezing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I just tap them on, from the front.

Every sight hood I ever had/saw (YMMV) has a lead-in taper to the bottom/open slot on one end, so the hood sides will cam themselves out/around the front of the ramp's hood slots when the taper is placed against the front of the ramp while the hood is tapped rearward.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What M. M. Wright said. A handy tool indeed. I have found many uses for it.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

M. M. Wright wrote:I have a snap ring plier that has flats on it. Kinda like duck bill pliers only they open instead of squeezing.
Me too -- works like a charm!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

M. M. Wright wrote:I have a snap ring plier that has flats on it. Kinda like duck bill pliers only they open instead of squeezing.
M.M. Wright,

Now that's a good'in. I've used snap ring pliers and have some a few miles away on the 'home farm.' Didn't know some could be had with 'flats' on them. I thought of that but seemed would be 'metal to metal' so I left the idea. Can they be had with padded or rubber tips?

Don
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

gunsmith hammer with hard nylon or rubber inserts tap on or off if you have to pound on it somethings not right. danny
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

BigSky56 wrote:gunsmith hammer with hard nylon or rubber inserts tap on or off if you have to pound on it somethings not right. danny
BigSky56,

Well, yes, that's how I've done them in the past. This time I had a like new model 71 Browning and didn't want to put the slightest scratch on it so I opted to expand the bottom of the hood--the hard way.

Don
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've mostly just taken them off, but getting them lined up and tapping on with a block of wood or just pushing on by hand has worked.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?